Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News Part 3: May 2016-April 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince George didn’t want to go to school today :lol:

The honeymoon period is over for Prince George it seems, as his dad Prince William has revealed he no longer wants to go to school. George is enrolled at Thomas's Battersea in Wandsworth, south London and started school less than three weeks ago, but it sounds like the young royal has had enough. During a visit to Milton Keynes on Tuesday, William told a fellow parent: "I just dropped George off and he didn't want to go."

Mum-of-two Louise Smith, 31, chatted to the Duke as he marked the 50th anniversary of her hometown in Bedfordshire. William stopped to say hello to her daughters Sophia Thomas, three, and Holly Thomas, one. "It was really exciting meeting William," said Louise. "He told me he'd just dropped Prince George off at school and he didn't want to go. Sounds a bit like mine really."
Read more: Prince George doesn't want to go to school anymore

Ah poor George...still adjusting!

LaRae

That picture of George on the first day walking and looking up at his father, one could tell he wasn't a happy camper. :ermm: Poor guy! I can see why being snug at home would be far more appealing to the tyke. I wonder why they are starting him so young? There's no financial reason related to work that would require his parents to have him cared for while they are 'at the office'. Why do it?

That picture of George on the first day walking and looking up at his father, one could tell he wasn't a happy camper. :ermm: Poor guy! I can see why being snug at home would be far more appealing to the tyke. I wonder why they are starting him so young? There's no financial reason related to work that would require his parents to have him cared for while they are 'at the office'. Why do it?

Because its not daycare (financial need/child care), its pre-school. Its about early childhood education. Pre-school is quite common at four. He started earlier, this isn't his first schooling. Simply first time full weeks.

A lot of parents think early education is important, good start for later years. Not to mention good for their kids to socialize with others. My mother was a stay at home mom until me and my sister were both in school full time. Yet we both did pre-school by three. Had nothing to do with child care. It was about getting us socializing and learning with other kids.

Many kids have a few rough first weeks as they settle in. We don't know that George is having a rough time. This was one comment. One day. Maybe he wasn't feeling well. Maybe he was having a bad morning. We don't know. Just like when William used to tell people how loud his son was, I highly doubt George always was. It is a passing comment.

Last edited:
Because its not daycare (financial need/child care), its pre-school. Its about early childhood education. Pre-school is quite common at four. He started earlier, this isn't his first schooling. Simply first time full days.

A lot of parents think early education is important, good start for later years. Not to mention good for their kids to socialize with others. My mother was a stay at home mom until me and my sister were both in school full time. Yet we both did pre-school by three. Had nothing to do with child care. It was about getting us socializing and learning with other kids.

Interesting. :flowers: Still at Kindergarten for most in my neck of the woods, unless there are work related issues, and even then it's never for all 5 days. (Lots of play groups, some called homeschooling groups). I am using pre-K judiciously. I would never let them go for a full 5 days of pre-K unless I had to. Just saying.

That's why I am questioning the Cambridges' decision.

Last edited:
Interesting. :flowers: Still at Kindergarten for most in my neck of the woods, unless there are work related issues, and even then it's never for all 5 days. (Lots of play groups, some called homeschooling groups). I am using pre-K judiciously. I would never let them go for a full 5 days of pre-K unless I had to. Just saying.

That's why I am questioning the Cambridges' decision.

Many other countries look at the US and wonder why the children start so late :whistling:

Just a few examples:
- In Peru children start at 3 years of age (3 years of 'Kindergarden' or 'Inicial' as it is called) - 5 days a week (about 4 1/2 hours a day). [Probably following the example of Spain where 3 year olds also are expected to attend preschool]
- In the Netherlands everyone starts at 4 (mandatory from 5th birthday, but at least 99% starts at 4, as there are 2 'Kindergarden' classes as part of primary school - so also 5 days a week; on average about 4 hours a day). The 'few days, few hours' a week you suggest for 4 year olds is common practice for 2 and 3 year olds.
- In Belgium almost all children go to 'kindergarden'; they can start attending from age 2 1/2. Mandatory from age 5 (but 98% starts earlier).
- In the UK apparently the mandatory age is also 5 with the large majority of students starting at age 4. For example Thomas Battersea explicitly states that the majority of the children start the year after their 4th birthday (so William & Catherine adhere to the 'normal' in their social circle).

He's only there half a day. It's not full time yet.

Also, aren't most of the pre-prep schools competitive, including Thomas's? Kids can only start in older year groups if someone leaves. If they started him a year or two later, then there would be the impression that a place had been held for him.

Besides, both William, Harry and Catherine all started at the same age.

Many other countries look at the US and wonder why the children start so late :whistling:

Just a few examples:
- In Peru children start at 3 years of age (3 years of 'Kindergarden' or 'Inicial' as it is called) - 5 days a week (about 4 1/2 hours a day). [Probably following the example of Spain where 3 year olds also are expected to attend preschool]
- In the Netherlands everyone starts at 4 (mandatory from 5th birthday, but at least 99% starts at 4, as there are 2 'Kindergarden' classes as part of primary school - so also 5 days a week; on average about 4 hours a day). The 'few days, few hours' a week you suggest for 4 year olds is common practice for 2 and 3 year olds.
- In Belgium almost all children go to 'kindergarden'; they can start attending from age 2 1/2. Mandatory from age 5 (but 98% starts earlier).
- In the UK apparently the mandatory age is also 5 with the large majority of students starting at age 4. For example Thomas Battersea explicitly states that the majority of the children start the year after their 4th birthday (so William & Catherine adhere to the 'normal' in their social circle).
Where I am from in the USA almost all of the children start at 3, whether it is private or public and has been this way for over 25 years that I can attest to.

I don't think too much should be read into a stranger's hearsay recounting of William's small talk about George. I can remember days when my son didn't want to go to school (e.g. he wanted to stay with mommy) but then after I'd dropped him off I'd circle back & peek in and he'd be happy as a lark with his classmates.

Last edited:
Where I am from in the USA almost all of the children start at 3, whether it is private or public and has been this way for over 25 years that I can attest to.

Do they attend 5 days a week from age 3? Didn't know that was also common in some areas. I hadn't heard about it before. It was certainly not the case in the school district that I worked for. We had a hard time getting the children (and especially those that needed it most) into preK. Our friend's children also typically attended a few hours of preschool for probably 2 days a week at the age of 4 (or none at all), so preK did exist and was promoted but definitely not common practice.

George also started attending some kind of preschool at 2 1/2, and many expect princess Charlotte to start preschool at Thomas Battersea in January, so, all in all, they same to follow a quite normal path.

Just a few examples:

Kindergarden here in the Netherland is fulltime. 8.30-14.15 if they have a continuing roster. And 8.30-12.00/13.00-15.15 if they go home during lunchtime.
Apart from 3-4 mornings to get used to everything, it is fulltime immediately.

Scandinavian countries start 'late', at 6 year old.

Last edited:
He's only there half a day. It's not full time yet.

That makes sense. :flowers: I would also question if he is attending all 5 days.

I am also from New England (part of family is) and I can attest that it has not been so. Unless we are having a conflict of terms. Kindergarten starts at age 5/6. Anything before is pre-K, down to Nursery, and generally that is all used if one needs it because of work, which (let's face it) most people now do need. Is it that a personal necessity is being seen as a requirement 'everyone does'? Dunno, just that at ages 2-3-4 it's all at-will and not formal schooling.

Unless, as someone has mentioned, it's a case of placement. One must be in the early sections in order to be assured upper section entries. That I get, and looking at it in that way, I can see why they are having him start so young. :flowers:

Last edited:
That makes sense. :flowers: I would also question if he is attending all 5 days.

I am also from New England and I can attest that it has not been so. Unless we are having a conflict of terms. Kindergarten starts at age 5/6. Anything before is pre-K, down to Nursery, and generally that is all used if one needs it because of work, which (let's face it) most people now do need. Is it that a personal necessity is being seen as a requirement 'everyone does'? Dunno, just that at ages 2-3-4 it's all at-will and not formal schooling.

Unless, as someone has mentioned, it's a case of placement. One must be in the early sections in order to be assured upper section entries. That I get, and looking at it in that way, I can see why they are having him start so young. :flowers:

In the area of the US I live, most children attend some sort of preschool at age 3 or 4. The exact format varies by the school. The children who don't have preschool experience are behind academically and socially in kindergarten.

In the area of the US I live, most children attend some sort of preschool at age 3 or 4. The exact format varies by the school. The children who don't have preschool experience are behind academically and socially in kindergarten.

Off topic but just to say: Well, there's the rub. :cool: We are talking a major disagreement in academic philosophy. Many studies are showing that early academics are damaging children's higher academic acquisition. Educators are at their wit's end with the acceleration taking place. The roll-back is happening but it will take a while to reach all quarters. See the results of the Finnish school model.

Way way too much pressure is put on little kids IMO.

LaRae

Pressure??? Pre-school for the most part is games, learning through play. The Montessori schools have shown great steps in helping children get a head start. Its not about pressure or testing kids, simply giving them the first steps into education. And for some people, first steps away from parents and having some independence.

Not all pre-school systems are Montessori type, and yes pressure. Not all kids transition well.

LaRae

I worked in early childhood education all children here in Australia have 15 hours a week. Most children love it but do have the odd day where they just want to stay home just like us grow ups who take a doona day occasionally

Way way too much pressure is put on little kids IMO.

LaRae

Yep! Prince George is like any other child who rather be at home than going to childcare or school.

Off topic: I didn't attend preschool or childcare. I had no issues academically or socially

Not all pre-school systems are Montessori type, and yes pressure. Not all kids transition well.

LaRae

That's the point of pre-school. Instead of having your kid home for five years then thrusting them suddenly into school in kindergarten. Yes many have huge transition issues. Because many have never been away from their parents and their structure. Starting in pre-school a few hours a week and slowly moving up, makes a transition much easier.

No, not all programs are Montessori. But at 3 pre-school is mainly play. As they get older they start moving a bit more towards education. Hours increase.

Let's get back on-topic.

LaRae

Yes, I personally believe that George's reluctance at his new school could be due to the fact that he's simply not used to a non-Montessori style of education. Anne Frank went to a Montessori primary school, and I remember reading that her father Otto later said that Anne found it hard adjusting to the Jewish Lyceum because it did not have the same Montessori approach that her previous school had. It's probably common for a lot of former Montessori children who don't know anything different.

Hopefully George will settle into Thomas's soon. I do like to think that he and Maud are little playmates at school ?

I worked in early childhood education all children here in Australia have 15 hours a week. Most children love it but do have the odd day where they just want to stay home just like us grow ups who take a doona day occasionally

I would like to highlight royal rob's comment. William only mentioned the experience of one day; George might love going to school every other day and easily adapt to this new environment - or he might have more days in which he'd rather stay home and need a little more time adjusting. Let's try not to overanalyze a one-off comment to a fellow parent.

Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News Part 2: May 2016

I would like to highlight royal rob's comment. William only mentioned the experience of one day; George might love going to school every other day and easily adapt to this new environment - or he might have more days in which he'd rather stay home and need a little more time adjusting. Let's try not to overanalyze a one-off comment to a fellow parent.

I had a feeling that my comment would get queries like this, but after all we’re all allowed to share our opinions (you included) and I was just chiming into the discussion. I was fully aware that it was just a days worth of experience, but I also just wanted to point out that it’s common for lots of children to have the same thoughts as little George. Just wanted to point out that it’s common and George’s feelings can change, that’s all. I wasn’t over analysing.

Apologies in advance if you were referring to everyone in general and not just to me (I just assumed so as you posted immediately after me and this thread has been dormant for a few days until I posted), so I don’t get another bang-in-wall emoji (not referring to you).

Last edited:
I had a feeling that my comment would get queries like this, but after all we’re all allowed to share our opinions (you included) and I was just chiming into the discussion. I was fully aware that it was just a days worth of experience, but I also just wanted to point out that it’s common for lots of children to have the same thoughts as little George. Just wanted to point out that it’s common and George’s feelings can change, that’s all. I wasn’t over analysing.

Apologies in advance if you were referring to everyone in general and not just to me (I just assumed so as you posted immediately after me and this thread has been dormant for a few days until I posted), so I don’t get another bang-in-wall emoji (not referring to you).

My comment was indeed intended as 'in general' and not referring to you specifically (no apologies needed); I hadn't seen the various posts from the last few days. Moreover, I fully agree with you that the switch from Montessori to non-Montessori could add to difficulties in adjustment for the prince - if he would indeed have them :flowers:

Many children also are quite tired the first few weeks when starting school because of all the new impressions which might add to this one 'odd' day (if the previous day had been especially tiresome) or more consistent pattern ;)

My comment was indeed intended as 'in general' and not referring to you specifically (no apologies needed); I hadn't seen the various posts from the last few days. Moreover, I fully agree with you that the switch from Montessori to non-Montessori could add to difficulties in adjustment for the prince - if he would indeed have them :flowers:

Many children also are quite tired the first few weeks when starting school because of all the new impressions which might add to this one 'odd' day (if the previous day had been especially tiresome) or more consistent pattern ;)

Thank you for clarifying - it seems that I was actually over analysing something, but I was over analysing who you were referring to instead, haha! This is a concept of discussion forums I struggle with as sometimes it confuses me when people don’t specify who they’re talking to. Not a problem on your part of course so keep on posting how you’re posting - just one on mine ?

You raise a very good point about new impressions too. When starting secondary school, the media made me think it would be like the American high schools portrayed in films - but after a few weeks I found it to be a complete opposite world. Naturally I got bored pretty quickly and the excitement of secondary school drowned out. And I was eleven at the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom