The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
they are public figures in a public place, i don't get the fuzz about those photos.

any other royal kids get photographed outside, no big deal. what is so special about the cambridges?

In fact no other royal kids are photographed outside these days, other than in the 1990s, unless the palace allows a photocall!
You won´t normally see the royal children from Denmark, Netherlands, Norway or Sweden just passing the streets or playing somewhere. All the photos we see of them, are more or less staged (the Lech holidays of the dutch Royals, Ingrid and Magnus of Norway at their grandparent´s silver jubilee, the King and Queen of the Belgians bringing the children to school after their summer holidays, first little "engagements" of Christian and Isabella of Denmark, 1st day at school etc etc.).
Photographers are allowed to attend these events to leave them completely alone during their private lives in return.

What makes the Cambridge´s so special? Well, they´re of course not more important or precious than other royal children. But other than their continental counterparts, they´re not just popular in their country, but, small as they are, some sort of "world celebrities", no matter if their family or we like it or not. In that regard it is only fair for their parents, to be very much aware and protective - I in William or Catherine´s place would do the same thing!

Old 07-05-2016, 12:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
In fact no other royal kids are photographed outside these days, other than in the 1990s, unless the palace allows a photocall!
You won´t normally see the royal children from Denmark, Netherlands, Norway or Sweden just passing the streets or playing somewhere. All the photos we see of them, are more or less staged (the Lech holidays of the dutch Royals, Ingrid and Magnus of Norway at their grandparent´s silver jubilee, the King and Queen of the Belgians bringing the children to school after their summer holidays, first little "engagements" of Christian and Isabella of Denmark, 1st day at school etc etc.).
Photographers are allowed to attend these events to leave them completely alone during their private lives in return.

What makes the Cambridge´s so special? Well, they´re of course not more important or precious than other royal children. But other than their continental counterparts, they´re not just popular in their country, but, small as they are, some sort of "world celebrities", no matter if their family or we like it or not. In that regard it is only fair for their parents, to be very much aware and protective - I in William or Catherine´s place would do the same thing!
Especially the Danish kids are a great example, I've lost count how many photos I've seen taking the twins to school by bike, Mary or Fred wearing ordinary clothes, nothing staged about that. Yet there is no uproar on this forum when these pictures are posted here.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post

Charlotte is getting so big already!
It looks like they really did not trust the geese lol

in these pictures I dont think they had any idea about being photographed.
and regarding other royal kids, just yesterday 3 of the Danes were photographed on their bikes on their way to horseback riding school (these photos usually come out as the family stay in Grasten for part of the summer)
http://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:9...1ca&m=ejfpkagf
Old 07-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Especially the Danish kids are a great example, I've lost count how many photos I've seen taking the twins to school by bike, Mary or Fred wearing ordinary clothes, nothing staged about that. Yet there is no uproar on this forum when these pictures are posted here.
I have to say I think it's a big difference in this case. That the kids are with the nanny. Them being photographed in the precense of their parent it can be excused as photographing the adults. But in this case it's probably clear that they were targeting the kids. (I've not watched the pictures since this goes over my personal line)
Old 07-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I have to say I think it's a big difference in this case. That the kids are with the nanny. Them being photographed in the precense of their parent it can be excused as photographing the adults. But in this case it's probably clear that they were targeting the kids. (I've not watched the pictures since this goes over my personal line)
Thank you hernameispekka and I agree that without the direct consent of the Cambridges for their children to be photographed is an issue. Our Muhler shares that having one or both parents present to give consent is why we've seen these types photos of the Danish royal children in the past. Here is his post from today.

"Originally Posted by Frelinghighness
How are they against privacy rules if they are in public? Because there are children?
Basically you can't just walk up to anyone, whether in public or in private, and take their picture without consent. Especially children.
Unless there is a very good reason or the one you are photographing is a part of something where (s)he must be expected to be photographed, like a carnival.
Strictly speaking that also applies to celebs and royals. - But of course royals know that what they do is somewhat newsworthy. So as long as the photographer is standing in open view and perhaps saying hi, it's part of the game.
But if the photographer had been hiding behind a bush or using a 20.000 mm lens PET would very like grab him by the collarbone.
And if Mary had say "no photos" to the photographer - that's it."

But as said before, every year photographers hang around at that intersection to snap a few photos and the DRF know it and I imagine the photographers sometimes see the children playing in the park. But of course they don't take photos of that."

Muhler clearly states that without the consent of Frederik or Mary the photographers know they are not to photograph the children. Mary was present when she and the children were out riding bikes and she gave her consent.

I have yet to see these types of paparazzi photos featuring the Spanish, Danish, Swedish, Belgian, Dutch, and Norwegian children with just their caregivers/bodyguards when their parents are not present.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
they are public figures in a public place, i don't get the fuzz about those photos.

any other royal kids get photographed outside, no big deal. what is so special about the cambridges?
To be fair, DoM, some of us believe that no children should be photographed in any commercial context without the permission of their parents or guardians.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
To be fair, DoM, some of us believe that no children should be photographed in any commercial context without the permission of their parents or guardians.
Sadly hel I've read comments on this site (Not by Duke of Marmalade) that stated that any royal child is basically "fair game" for photographers because the taxpayers pay for their security.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

If we are using that logic - where are the daily photos of Cameron's kids or Obama's daughters? Big brother cameras in all royal and government residences ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

We've seen pictures of the Danish children last year in Spain without Fred & Mary present, all I was pointing out that there was no outrage about those pictures or calls to remove the links, as it happens with the Cambridges from time to time.

I don't think at all that children are fair game but do think that as long as there is no harmful activity such as chasing or harrassing (I strongly disagree with that) I don't have a problem with pictures of royal children in public places. In the Cambridge's case the nanny is replacing the parents and even though many posters here disagree, the future King of England and his sister are public persons, no matter what age.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
We've seen pictures of the Danish children last year in Spain without Fred & Mary present, all I was pointing out that there was no outrage about those pictures or calls to remove the links, as it happens with the Cambridges from time to time.

I don't think at all that children are fair game but do think that as long as there is no harmful activity such as chasing or harrassing (I strongly disagree with that) I don't have a problem with pictures of royal children in public places. In the Cambridge's case the nanny is replacing the parents and even though many posters here disagree, the future King of England and his sister are public persons, no matter what age.
Maria is not their parent/guardian so she can't give permission for her charges to be photographed. Also after viewing photos, it is apparent that she is also unaware that she is being photographed while in the park.

If the children's parents give their consent to photographs being taken in a public place that is their right to do so. In the recent pictures of the Danish children, Mary was present and agreed to having the kids photographed. The objection here is that the children's parents are not present and therefore cannot give their consent.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Maria is not their parent/guardian so she can't give permission for her charges to be photographed. Also after viewing photos, it is apparent that she is also unaware that she is being photographed while in the park.

If the children's parents give their consent to photographs being taken in a public place that is their right to do so. In the recent pictures of the Danish children, Mary was present and agreed to having the kids photographed. The objection here is that the children's parents are not present and therefore cannot give their consent.
George and Charlotte are sweet, but; that's true, and something to keep in mind IMO. William and Catherine also issued a statement asking the paparazzi to not take photographs of George and Charlotte in intrusive ways (when it was discovered that they were using tactics like luring other children into playing with George and Charlotte just so they could get a photo of them), however I can't tell whether these photos were taken in a "normal" way or an "intrusive" way.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-05-2016, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
George and Charlotte are sweet, but; that's true, and something to keep in mind IMO. William and Catherine also issued a statement asking the paparazzi to not take photographs of George and Charlotte in intrusive ways (when it was discovered that they were using tactics like luring other children into playing with George and Charlotte just so they could get a photo of them), however I can't tell whether these photos were taken in a "normal" way or an "intrusive" way.
IMO the photos appear to be taken at a great distance which is a tactic that the paparazzi have used in the past with members of the British royal family. These do not look like the photos that have been taken by Catherine or designated photographer who was requested to take George and Charlotte's pictures. I doubt that the Cambridges gave their consent to have their children photographed at the park while feeding the water fowl.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Courtier

Also DoM, not every users on the BRF forum visit the Danish forum.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
IMO the photos appear to be taken at a great distance which is a tactic that the paparazzi have used in the past with members of the British royal family. These do not look like the photos that have been taken by Catherine or designated photographer who was requested to take George and Charlotte's pictures. I doubt that the Cambridges gave their consent to have their children photographed at the park while feeding the water fowl.
I share your doubts. I also believe these photo's are the result of a papparazo who stalked the children and their minder. It will be interesting to see if the pictures are published, as the wrath of the Cambridge's is well known! BTW, there are reports in the Canadian media that the Cambridge children and, coincidentally, their parentshave been invited to tour Canada in 2017 when our country celebrates its 150th anniversary. If the invitation is accepted, no doubt many photo's of the Cambridge-and Trudeau! families will result. Stay tuned!
Old 07-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Those photos look grainy to me, and as if they weren't taken by a professional photographer; for example what professional photographer would bother with a rear shot? It could well have been a member of the public with a cell phone.

Photos of Frederik and Mary's kids on the beach, with their parents, and with Mary's friends, were taken on the last family trip to Australia. As far as I know no one in the party raised any official objection and there were quite a few photos taken then. I doubt whether the photographers rushed up and asked permission.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Honestly I am not bothered, for any royal child, if the photos are in public and not intrusive. Long distance as these seemed to be, the kids wouldn't notice. Its not as if the photographers were chasing them down, climbing walls to take private pictures, or even noticed by the kids. I highly doubt any pic of royal kids in magazines, over than a rare photo call, got permission from the parents (rare exception).

I am bothered when the photos are taken from the next table at a restaurant, or up close and personal except photo calls. I look at pics of Leonor of Sweden in a restaurant and the photo was obviously right across from her, and she could see. Now that angers me.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thank you hernameispekka and I agree that without the direct consent of the Cambridges for their children to be photographed is an issue. Our Muhler shares that having one or both parents present to give consent is why we've seen these types photos of the Danish royal children in the past. Here is his post from today.

"Originally Posted by Frelinghighness
How are they against privacy rules if they are in public? Because there are children?
Basically you can't just walk up to anyone, whether in public or in private, and take their picture without consent. Especially children.
Unless there is a very good reason or the one you are photographing is a part of something where (s)he must be expected to be photographed, like a carnival.
Strictly speaking that also applies to celebs and royals. - But of course royals know that what they do is somewhat newsworthy. So as long as the photographer is standing in open view and perhaps saying hi, it's part of the game.
But if the photographer had been hiding behind a bush or using a 20.000 mm lens PET would very like grab him by the collarbone.
And if Mary had say "no photos" to the photographer - that's it."

But as said before, every year photographers hang around at that intersection to snap a few photos and the DRF know it and I imagine the photographers sometimes see the children playing in the park. But of course they don't take photos of that."

Muhler clearly states that without the consent of Frederik or Mary the photographers know they are not to photograph the children. Mary was present when she and the children were out riding bikes and she gave her consent.

I have yet to see these types of paparazzi photos featuring the Spanish, Danish, Swedish, Belgian, Dutch, and Norwegian children with just their caregivers/bodyguards when their parents are not present.
Oh my dear, you have quite taken my question and run with it! I was just making sure to clarify the point that there are different rules for children in public places in different countries.
In the US, UK and Australia, adults AND children can be photographed in public places. It is a different story on the continent. I just wanted to be clear about it. That is why there were always lawsuits from Ps Caroline of Monoco whenever her underage children where photographed. She had someone on it all the time, the publication had to decide whether or not the fine was worth it.
Denmark does have laws that protect childrens' images in public. We do not in the US, for adults or children.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Oh my dear, you have quite taken my question and run with it! I was just making sure to clarify the point that there are different rules for children in public places in different countries.
In the US, UK and Australia, adults AND children can be photographed in public places. It is a different story on the continent. I just wanted to be clear about it. That is why there were always lawsuits from Ps Caroline of Monoco whenever her underage children where photographed. She had someone on it all the time, the publication had to decide whether or not the fine was worth it.
Denmark does have laws that protect childrens' images in public. We do not in the US, for adults or children.
You have not seen those other "European" royalty children's photos because they are illegal. The Monaco photos are so much more valuable they are willing to take the chance.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
There is an increasing push in the US to protect the privacy of children from having their pictures taken without their parents' permission. I believe it's actually illegal in California to take pictures of the children of high profile individuals without their parents' permission. This is why you more and more frequently see celebrity children being cropped out of pictures, or having their faces blurred in them being published in magazines. The idea is to not harass children just because their parents are famous.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

The thing I don't get about this type of argument is that there's no reason as to why we need these types of photos of the Cambridge children, or any other royal children. What need is there for pictures of George and Charlotte feeding the geese, or the Danish children out riding their bikes, or Leonor at a restaurant with her parents?

What need is there to take pictures of children without the consent of their parents? And seriously, how is it justification that "they're public figures"? George is a 3-year-old. Him being a public figure doesn't justify adults selling pictures of a 3-year-old to be printed in magazines and put on the internet, with absolutely no consent from his parents - in fact, rather the opposite.
Save

Tags
prince george of cambridge, princess charlotte of cambridge