The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-30-2017, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
Chatting to the director of the @ENBallet today Kate revealed Princess Charlotte is learning to dance. 'She absolutely loves it,' she said.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

The $52 Shoes That Prince George Wore to His First Day of School Are Almost Sold Out

Prince George School Uniform, Shoes

Old 09-26-2017, 12:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince George didn’t want to go to school today

Quote:
The honeymoon period is over for Prince George it seems, as his dad Prince William has revealed he no longer wants to go to school. George is enrolled at Thomas's Battersea in Wandsworth, south London and started school less than three weeks ago, but it sounds like the young royal has had enough. During a visit to Milton Keynes on Tuesday, William told a fellow parent: "I just dropped George off and he didn't want to go."

Mum-of-two Louise Smith, 31, chatted to the Duke as he marked the 50th anniversary of her hometown in Bedfordshire. William stopped to say hello to her daughters Sophia Thomas, three, and Holly Thomas, one. "It was really exciting meeting William," said Louise. "He told me he'd just dropped Prince George off at school and he didn't want to go. Sounds a bit like mine really."
Read more: Prince George doesn't want to go to school anymore
Old 09-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Ah poor George...still adjusting!

LaRae
Old 09-26-2017, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent

That picture of George on the first day walking and looking up at his father, one could tell he wasn't a happy camper. Poor guy! I can see why being snug at home would be far more appealing to the tyke. I wonder why they are starting him so young? There's no financial reason related to work that would require his parents to have him cared for while they are 'at the office'. Why do it?
Old 09-26-2017, 09:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
That picture of George on the first day walking and looking up at his father, one could tell he wasn't a happy camper. Poor guy! I can see why being snug at home would be far more appealing to the tyke. I wonder why they are starting him so young? There's no financial reason related to work that would require his parents to have him cared for while they are 'at the office'. Why do it?
Because its not daycare (financial need/child care), its pre-school. Its about early childhood education. Pre-school is quite common at four. He started earlier, this isn't his first schooling. Simply first time full weeks.

A lot of parents think early education is important, good start for later years. Not to mention good for their kids to socialize with others. My mother was a stay at home mom until me and my sister were both in school full time. Yet we both did pre-school by three. Had nothing to do with child care. It was about getting us socializing and learning with other kids.

Many kids have a few rough first weeks as they settle in. We don't know that George is having a rough time. This was one comment. One day. Maybe he wasn't feeling well. Maybe he was having a bad morning. We don't know. Just like when William used to tell people how loud his son was, I highly doubt George always was. It is a passing comment.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Because its not daycare (financial need/child care), its pre-school. Its about early childhood education. Pre-school is quite common at four. He started earlier, this isn't his first schooling. Simply first time full days.

A lot of parents think early education is important, good start for later years. Not to mention good for their kids to socialize with others. My mother was a stay at home mom until me and my sister were both in school full time. Yet we both did pre-school by three. Had nothing to do with child care. It was about getting us socializing and learning with other kids.
Interesting. Still at Kindergarten for most in my neck of the woods, unless there are work related issues, and even then it's never for all 5 days. (Lots of play groups, some called homeschooling groups). I am using pre-K judiciously. I would never let them go for a full 5 days of pre-K unless I had to. Just saying.

That's why I am questioning the Cambridges' decision.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Interesting. Still at Kindergarten for most in my neck of the woods, unless there are work related issues, and even then it's never for all 5 days. (Lots of play groups, some called homeschooling groups). I am using pre-K judiciously. I would never let them go for a full 5 days of pre-K unless I had to. Just saying.

That's why I am questioning the Cambridges' decision.
Many other countries look at the US and wonder why the children start so late

Just a few examples:
- In Peru children start at 3 years of age (3 years of 'Kindergarden' or 'Inicial' as it is called) - 5 days a week (about 4 1/2 hours a day). [Probably following the example of Spain where 3 year olds also are expected to attend preschool]
- In the Netherlands everyone starts at 4 (mandatory from 5th birthday, but at least 99% starts at 4, as there are 2 'Kindergarden' classes as part of primary school - so also 5 days a week; on average about 4 hours a day). The 'few days, few hours' a week you suggest for 4 year olds is common practice for 2 and 3 year olds.
- In Belgium almost all children go to 'kindergarden'; they can start attending from age 2 1/2. Mandatory from age 5 (but 98% starts earlier).
- In the UK apparently the mandatory age is also 5 with the large majority of students starting at age 4. For example Thomas Battersea explicitly states that the majority of the children start the year after their 4th birthday (so William & Catherine adhere to the 'normal' in their social circle).
Old 09-26-2017, 10:20 PM
Majesty

He's only there half a day. It's not full time yet.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-26-2017, 10:21 PM
Nobility

Also, aren't most of the pre-prep schools competitive, including Thomas's? Kids can only start in older year groups if someone leaves. If they started him a year or two later, then there would be the impression that a place had been held for him.

Besides, both William, Harry and Catherine all started at the same age.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
That was what I had read also. Thanks
Old 09-26-2017, 11:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post

Just a few examples:
- In Peru children start at 3 years of age (3 years of 'Kindergarden' or 'Inicial' as it is called) - 5 days a week (about 4 1/2 hours a day). [Probably following the example of Spain where 3 year olds also are expected to attend preschool]
- In the Netherlands everyone starts at 4 (mandatory from 5th birthday, but at least 99% starts at 4, as there are 2 'Kindergarden' classes as part of primary school - so also 5 days a week; on average about 4 hours a day). The 'few days, few hours' a week you suggest for 4 year olds is common practice for 2 and 3 year olds.
- In Belgium almost all children go to 'kindergarden'; they can start attending from age 2 1/2. Mandatory from age 5 (but 98% starts earlier).
- In the UK apparently the mandatory age is also 5 with the large majority of students starting at age 4. For example Thomas Battersea explicitly states that the majority of the children start the year after their 4th birthday (so William & Catherine adhere to the 'normal' in their social circle).
Where I am from in the USA almost all of the children start at 3, whether it is private or public and has been this way for over 25 years that I can attest to.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:38 PM
Courtier

I don't think too much should be read into a stranger's hearsay recounting of William's small talk about George. I can remember days when my son didn't want to go to school (e.g. he wanted to stay with mommy) but then after I'd dropped him off I'd circle back & peek in and he'd be happy as a lark with his classmates.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Where I am from in the USA almost all of the children start at 3, whether it is private or public and has been this way for over 25 years that I can attest to.
Do they attend 5 days a week from age 3? Didn't know that was also common in some areas. I hadn't heard about it before. It was certainly not the case in the school district that I worked for. We had a hard time getting the children (and especially those that needed it most) into preK. Our friend's children also typically attended a few hours of preschool for probably 2 days a week at the age of 4 (or none at all), so preK did exist and was promoted but definitely not common practice.

George also started attending some kind of preschool at 2 1/2, and many expect princess Charlotte to start preschool at Thomas Battersea in January, so, all in all, they same to follow a quite normal path.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post

Just a few examples:

Kindergarden here in the Netherland is fulltime. 8.30-14.15 if they have a continuing roster. And 8.30-12.00/13.00-15.15 if they go home during lunchtime.
Apart from 3-4 mornings to get used to everything, it is fulltime immediately.

Scandinavian countries start 'late', at 6 year old.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
That makes sense. I would also question if he is attending all 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I am also from New England (part of family is) and I can attest that it has not been so. Unless we are having a conflict of terms. Kindergarten starts at age 5/6. Anything before is pre-K, down to Nursery, and generally that is all used if one needs it because of work, which (let's face it) most people now do need. Is it that a personal necessity is being seen as a requirement 'everyone does'? Dunno, just that at ages 2-3-4 it's all at-will and not formal schooling.

Unless, as someone has mentioned, it's a case of placement. One must be in the early sections in order to be assured upper section entries. That I get, and looking at it in that way, I can see why they are having him start so young.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
That makes sense. I would also question if he is attending all 5 days.

I am also from New England and I can attest that it has not been so. Unless we are having a conflict of terms. Kindergarten starts at age 5/6. Anything before is pre-K, down to Nursery, and generally that is all used if one needs it because of work, which (let's face it) most people now do need. Is it that a personal necessity is being seen as a requirement 'everyone does'? Dunno, just that at ages 2-3-4 it's all at-will and not formal schooling.

Unless, as someone has mentioned, it's a case of placement. One must be in the early sections in order to be assured upper section entries. That I get, and looking at it in that way, I can see why they are having him start so young.
In the area of the US I live, most children attend some sort of preschool at age 3 or 4. The exact format varies by the school. The children who don't have preschool experience are behind academically and socially in kindergarten.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
In the area of the US I live, most children attend some sort of preschool at age 3 or 4. The exact format varies by the school. The children who don't have preschool experience are behind academically and socially in kindergarten.
Off topic but just to say: Well, there's the rub. We are talking a major disagreement in academic philosophy. Many studies are showing that early academics are damaging children's higher academic acquisition. Educators are at their wit's end with the acceleration taking place. The roll-back is happening but it will take a while to reach all quarters. See the results of the Finnish school model.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Way way too much pressure is put on little kids IMO.

LaRae
Old 09-27-2017, 01:23 AM
Majesty

Pressure??? Pre-school for the most part is games, learning through play. The Montessori schools have shown great steps in helping children get a head start. Its not about pressure or testing kids, simply giving them the first steps into education. And for some people, first steps away from parents and having some independence.

Tags
prince george of cambridge, princess charlotte of cambridge