The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-06-2017, 06:26 AM
Heir Apparent

'Kensington Palace' refers to Historic Royal Palaces, the charity who are responsible for Kensington Palace.

It has nothing to do with the Cambridges. Just thought I'd clarify because when people see KP a lot of times they think it means William and Catherine.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:42 AM
Heir Apparent

This should be moved to the KP residence thread since it doesn't have anything to do with the real Charlotte.

The gift shops at KP and the Tower of London have a wide variety of stuff in the them some very high end and others not so high end. This is some low end stuff for little kids.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:22 AM
Majesty

Families scramble to buy £4m homes near Prince George's new school: new report reveals a 60 per cent leap in enquiries for homes near Thomas's Battersea | Homes and Property

"Huge leap in enquiries from parents seeking £4 million-plus homes near £6,000-a-term Thomas’s Battersea day school."
Old 04-14-2017, 10:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Families scramble to buy £4m homes near Prince George's new school: new report reveals a 60 per cent leap in enquiries for homes near Thomas's Battersea | Homes and Property

"Huge leap in enquiries from parents seeking £4 million-plus homes near £6,000-a-term Thomas’s Battersea day school."
This type of reaction in "social climbing" always amazes me. Just don't get it. Almost comical.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Sorry but it looks cheap. Buy better quality from the Disney store. And seems to have as much to do with Charlotte as Disney items would.
These lower priced items for children have always been around in the "official" stores for years to compensate the young ones while parents purchase higher quality items. I remember very well receiving a "Princess Anne "purse from an aunt when she visited KP decades ago.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

What George will wear on his first day at school* | Daily Mail Online

Nice uniforms. One thing I believe in, school uniforms. I just hope after the first day, he'll be left alone.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-14-2017, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I am sorry the photos are creepy. They should have just had the child model. Just looks bizarre.

I never got the whole uniform thing. But I guess because it's not very common here. Went to catholic school and we didn't even have the stereotypical uniform. The military academy here in town is the only one I can think of. And now that it's merged with the dance school and sports, it's basically at shirt.

Hopefully the couple release a private photo like they did when he started preschool. Then we can see him, but he doesn't get interrupted by press. Honestly since Kate is a photographer, they could deal with the demand for photos by simply releasing private photos once in a while. The kids would not know the difference, oh mommy is just taking another photo.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:59 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I attended Catholic schools in the 50s-60s (graduated in 70) and uniforms were a requirement. I think the implication of everyone in the same clothes stresses that everyone in the school were all one and the same. Skirts had to be at least a certain length and boy's hair had to be above their collars. Although it was widely proclaimed that patent leather shoes were a no-no because they reflect up, I never ran into that situation myself. Uniforms also detract from the ever prevalent "fashion trends" that crop up in schools. Catholic schools, as I see them now, have mostly done away with the uniform thing.

Perhaps uniforms also are conductive to a pride in school spirit? Wherever a child is seen in that uniform, it reflects the school itself.

Just some musings on my part here.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post

Was George's attendance at Thomas's announced before or after all the other offers were confirmed? Because if I were a parent who'd chosen this school for my child and then found out the news I'd have concerns. Not because of the prince himself, who seems like a sweet little boy, but because of the chaos even a few social climbing parents could cause. Hopefully the school's admissions staff are good at sniffing out crazy.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Was George's attendance at Thomas's announced before or after all the other offers were confirmed? Because if I were a parent who'd chosen this school for my child and then found out the news I'd have concerns. Not because of the prince himself, who seems like a sweet little boy, but because of the chaos even a few social climbing parents could cause. Hopefully the school's admissions staff are good at sniffing out crazy.
I'm pretty sure it was announced after everyone was accepted in already.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

I liked school uniforms because it not only made all the students look respectable, but it help relieved the parents and guardians from spending a great deal of money on new school clothes for their kids throughout the year. Stuff like this can be a burden on families who's money is funny.

Put some uniforms on those kids and let the church roll on.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-14-2017, 09:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Uniforms can be very expensive however e.g. at my school the blazers are in excess of $200 and a student at the school for 13 years would need at least 4 of them if not 5. Boys shirts are in excess of $30 each and if not washed properly the school logo changes colour and so can't be worn again. As soon as the school insists on the school logo on the uniform it doubles or triples the cost of the same item without logo and more and more private schools are going that route.

A colleague of mine, who has a child at our school, has already spent over $5000 on uniforms and her child is only just starting Year 3. Another colleague with a child in a state school with no uniform has spent less than $2000 on school clothes in the same period as she can buy generic brands.

Uniforms have their place in schools but I don't agree that every single item needs the school logo or that students must have the school bag, again with the logo. It all adds an unnecessary cost to parents.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it would make more sense to just issue a type of dress expected to be worn:

Boys must wear black pants and white shirts with a tie (etc etc). Doesn't have to be logos or expensive brands.

LaRae
Old 04-14-2017, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I think what I always hated about the thought was uniforms seem so old fashioned. Girls do not need to wear skirts to be presentable. I was a tomboy, and the thought of having to wear a skirt to school every day annoys me. Especially in Canada in winter wear skirts are neither warm nor practical. A sensible dress code with rules about length, about no baggy pants and so on seems just as practical.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:47 AM
Courtier

We all know where George will be come September, what about Charlotte?

It's been said she will start pre-school, obviously in London, so what are the thoughts on that?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I find the photos creepy too.
I think unforms are a good thing, I didn't have one but grew up in a time when there was no bullying about being dressed etc. George will just look like everyone else what is good, especially from him.
I hope that the Cambridges will pose with George for a photocall and after that all the fuzz will hopefully calm down.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
We all know where George will be come September, what about Charlotte?

It's been said she will start pre-school, obviously in London, so what are the thoughts on that?
Considering they chose a coeducational school, it is pretty clear they will send both kids to the same school. It would be bizarre for them to send George to a coed school and then choose a different one for Charlotte.

But in September charlotte will be home with her nanny. Though you can start before 3, you have to be at least two and a half at most schools including this one. She won't be until November. The next entrance for the school is January when she will likely join her big brother.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I find the photos creepy too.
I think unforms are a good thing, I didn't have one but grew up in a time when there was no bullying about being dressed etc. George will just look like everyone else what is good, especially from him.
I hope that the Cambridges will pose with George for a photocall and after that all the fuzz will hopefully calm down.
My children attended a normal public school in California; most of the elementary and middle schools (junior high elsewhere) in our district have a uniform policy. Most of our general merchandise stores (Target, Sears, WalMart etc.) carry the uniform components such as shorts, polo shirts, etc. which are usually in generic colors such as navy, khaki, and black for "bottoms" and in whatever solid color shirts the school decides. It was so nice to tell my kids that they could choose from their drawer of tops and bottoms for school. Some schools also have a plaid for girls' skirts or jumpers (pinafores elsewhere?) that can be a little pricey but they are optional.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I liked school uniforms because it not only made all the students look respectable, but it help relieved the parents and guardians from spending a great deal of money on new school clothes for their kids throughout the year. Stuff like this can be a burden on families who's money is funny.

Put some uniforms on those kids and let the church roll on.
I wore them through elementary and high school because I attended Catholic schools. Our uniforms were so durable that often times they could be resold at the "gently used" clothing sale if they were not passed down to a sibling or neighbor. Now even the private schools offer a choice of pants, shorts, skirts, skorts to wear with polo shirts. Long Beach Unified School District in Long Beach, CA is one of the largest public school districts that has required uniforms at its elementary and middle schools. At least two of the high schools have also opted to use them as well.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wore a uniform too. In the 4th grade and I liked it. I just always thought it made the students and school look more respectable and my parents didn't have to spend a great deal of money on lots of school clothes.

A.W. TOZER

Tags
prince george of cambridge, princess charlotte of cambridge