The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
There is tradition then there is snobbery ... Fine line

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
You're entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to mine. I don't think it's snobbish at all. I'm not from upper classes, but I would dress my son how George is being dressed, because it's age-appropriate. Catherine and William are doing just that. I don't think keeping traditions is being a snob.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
You're entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to mine. I don't think it's snobbish at all. I'm not from upper classes, but I would dress my son how George is being dressed, because it's age-appropriate. Catherine and William are doing just that. I don't think keeping traditions is being a snob.

Age appropriate is comfortable warm pants. We have all agreed its because of class.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Girls wear skirts with long socks for their school uniforms and nobody thinks they are cold.

Good point about the fashion for dressing boys in dresses is over. We have many pictures of a relative dressed about 1910 and the young boys are wearing skirts. It was easier for,the diapers I would think.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Age appropriate is comfortable warm pants. We have all agreed its because of class.

We? I don't think 'we' have all agreed any such thing.

I don't think it has to do with class at all. It's to do with the traditions of the BRF. I think it's charming and neat to see children dressed like this for more formal events. We all have seen him wearing 'regular' clothes at other times, if it were about class he'd never been seen in 'regular' clothes.

LaRae
Old 10-08-2016, 11:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Are there any photos around of the Wessexes' son James out and about with his parents on photo ops or semi-Royal occasions, family days etc at the same age, so we could compare?

As far as I remember Will and Harry wore a lot of shorts when they were very young, but it was the 1980's and fashions do change.

I lived in the town of Windsor at one time with my husband and you would see young Etonians on occasion out with parents and younger siblings. I suppose they would be regarded as upper class!

Yet what I remember is distinctly mixed. Younger brothers would sometimes be in short pants/ shorts in the summer and in slacks and even jeans in the autumn and winter (boys of 4,5,6 and up,) so it didn't appear to me that shorts were the 'uniform' of choice at all, especially in the colder months.

My opinion is that it's a preference by George's parents that he wears shorts on these occasions and perhaps nanny Maria's. A poster on another forum stated that the Spanish upper and middle classes also tend to dress their little sons in shorts, so maybe Maria (who comes from a comfortably off middleclass family) picked out the clothing George wore? Who knows!
Old 10-09-2016, 12:13 AM
Commoner

If Catherine and William want George to wear shorts on public occasions, then why not? It's their son, not ours. Just because that isn't the tradition in the US or other places, doesn't mean it isn't in the BRF. It hurts no one and has nothing whatever to do with snobbery.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:01 AM
Heir Apparent

I've just googled, for my own interest, photos of Princes Andrew, Edward and Edward's son James Wessex when they were very young. Of the selection I saw Andrew doesn't appear in shorts very much at all as a boy. In the photo ops at Balmoral with his parents, admittedly probably in autumn, he has on long pants.

Edward's are also mixed, kilt, shorts and long pants, as are James's, who wore shorts sometimes in photos but wore long pants on several public occasions last year. The princes who wore shorts A LOT except in the coldest conditions as young boys were William and Harry.

So, shorts-wearing on all public occasions/photo ops etc only appears to be a BRF tradition dating from one generation back, and in summery weather only for Charles's younger siblings when small.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:29 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Are there any photos around of the Wessexes' son James out and about with his parents on photo ops or semi-Royal occasions, family days etc at the same age, so we could compare.
Louise and James were kept very much out of the public eye during their formative years, but later on there was a lovely set of pics taken at a county fair or something, complete with horse roundabouts etc.

A really lovely pic of (maybe six year old?) James literally jumping into his dad's arms.

Not a pair of shorts in sight!

But we probably won't see George in shorts when he is six either ..... if we see him at all!
Old 10-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
We? I don't think 'we' have all agreed any such thing.

I don't think it has to do with class at all. It's to do with the traditions of the BRF. I think it's charming and neat to see children dressed like this for more formal events. We all have seen him wearing 'regular' clothes at other times, if it were about class he'd never been seen in 'regular' clothes.

LaRae
Exactly. I guess to some, 'tradition' equates to 'snobbery'. Like you, I think it's very endearing and sweet to see George (and his sister) dress like little children during formal occasions. They do have other clothing that is used when they're out on family outings. I doubt Charlotte would go to a petting zoo, or a play park in one of her smocked dresses that we saw on tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
If Catherine and William want George to wear shorts on public occasions, then why not? It's their son, not ours. Just because that isn't the tradition in the US or other places, doesn't mean it isn't in the BRF. It hurts no one and has nothing whatever to do with snobbery.
Thank you! At the end of the day, it's up to the parents how to dress their children. It's not as if William and Catherine go around forcing everyone to dress their children in traditional styles. If they feel that it's appropriate for George to wear short trousers, then I trust their judgement. Who knows, maybe his legs get hot easily and wearing longer trousers isn't very comfortable. I work with a preschooler that hated wearing long trousers. He came to school with short ones on even in the coldest of days, and it's not as if NYC winters are all that warm. His parents just had him wrapped up in heavy blankets when he was in his buggy outside. No big deal. Sometimes, as parents, you choose to,pick your battles and if short trousers and blanket keeps the kid from constantly complaining about being uncomfortable, and having sensory issues, I say go for it.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The party’s over for Prince George and Princess Charlotte — or perhaps more accurately, for their parents.

Following the royal family’s eight-day tour of Canada, 3-year-old George and 17-month-old Charlotte experienced the after-effects of such a big trip, dad Prince William revealed Monday evening.

“They were on best behavior [during the trip], so it was good,” he said, adding, “The jet lag has been a bit interesting since we got back.”

William said of the memorable tour with Princess Kate, “We had a busy week. It was good fun. It was nice to take the children with us as well.”
Prince William Says George and Charlotte Had Jet Lag
Old 10-14-2016, 12:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Balfour Beatty @balfourbeatty
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge receive @BalfourBeatty hard hats for Princess Charlotte and Prince George at the opening of the @uom_mecd

https://twitter.com/balfourbeatty/st...56821898596352
Old 10-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Those hard hats just may come in handy if they get to playing rough and tumble with Uncle Harry.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Princess Charlotte could be the footballer in the family after what her dad Prince William has revealed.

The future King was visiting the National Football Museum in Manchester with his wife Kate when he opened up about their 17-month-old daughter and their three-year-old son Prince George.

"Charlotte is the one who shows more aptitude [for football]," William said, chatting to the England women's team captain, Steph Houghton, and her teammate Jill Scott. "George is sort of getting into it slowly, but Charlotte is showing more aptitude."
Read more: Princess Charlotte is showing an aptitude for football
Old 10-18-2016, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

It's great Prince George and Princess Charlotte are exposed to so many different sports and activities. Catherine and William are very sporty so it's no surprise it rubs off on the kids.

Quote:
Equestrian triple-gold medalist Natasha Baker had a good chat with Kate.

The Duchess told her: "George is fascinated by fencing but I think that's because of the face shields.

"Charlotte would have loved to be here but she'd be running riot!"

Afterwards the Paralympian said: "I asked her how the children were and she said Charlotte is really enjoying her riding which is great to hear and I said we may see her here on a line-up in 20 years time.

"She emphasised that Charlotte has this passion about horses and although she doesn't echo it, she'll do her best to champion and encourage it."
Read more: Duchess Kate reveals that Princess Charlotte loves horses while Prince George is fascinated by sword-fighting - Mirror Online
Old 10-18-2016, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Would love to see Charlotte become a prominent rider in the future!

LaRae
Old 10-18-2016, 09:09 PM
Majesty

I think it's great that Charlotte and George are showing interest in sports. I'd love to see Charlotte on a horse and I bet Her Majesty is overjoyed to have another member of her family show interest in horses.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes me too...our grandkids have been in different sports since about the age of 3 and it's been very good for them.

LaRae
Old 10-23-2016, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Aaargh! No discussion of the historic average annual increases, sales categories, etc. I wonder what would be the result if they brought her over in a pram and parked her next to the cash register at the KP sales office?
Old 11-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Heir Apparent

From People

Quote:
Ben Affleck has revealed that his four-year-old son Samuel recently had a chance playdate with Prince George and Princess Charlotte. The Hollywood actor opened up about the royal run-in during an appearance on The Graham Norton Show, which airs on Friday, and explained that it came about when his children visited him in London during filming for his upcoming movie, Justice League.

"We did all the sights, and I wanted them to be cultured," he said. "Now, if it was in America – and I hate to admit this – you'd get a VIP pass, you'd get back stage and they would accommodate you. So I got a tour guide thinking this guy will accommodate me, but that wasn't the case!
Read more: Ben Affleck on His Son's Playdate with Prince George: 'I Can Now Tell Him He Got a Cold from the King of England!'

Tags
prince george of cambridge, princess charlotte of cambridge