Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News Part 3: May 2016-April 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the link with the various members of the royal family at two years old, I am thinking that the one that Charlotte most resembles is Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. To me, they look very similar.
It may just be the photos we can compare v. others that may capture different angles or looks of the subjects, but in that series of photos I also thought Charlotte most closely resembled the Queen Mother.

Looking at the link with the various members of the royal family at two years old, I am thinking that the one that Charlotte most resembles is Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. To me, they look very similar.

I think she looks like the queen, not all the way but there's a resemblance, as far as one can tell from B&W photos of the queen. Charlotte is a bit darker but then she problaby gets that from the dark haired Kate.

One thing I've noticed that rings true with the majority of the pictures Kate takes of her kids and releases to the public is that they're basically portraits where the prime focus is the child. We don't get much background. With Charlotte's birthday picture, we wouldn't have even known where on the grounds of Amner Hall it was taken unless that information was released with the picture.

Its like saying "This is what my child looks like now." without cluttering up the background. To be honest, I like it. She knows what she's doing and has a good handle on what she wants the public to see.

I understand what you mean and I like the picture, but sometimes the Cambridge's do need to use a little more imagination for the kids pictures.

I do love the fact that Catherine takes these pictures.

i am starting to see more of catherine in charlotte now, but indeed there's a lot of the queen in her too :)

Andrew looks like Queen May (Mary of Tek).

George is a blend of Michael and William. Charlotte (right now) resembles a blend of William and the Queen but still has eyes that remind me of Carole.

LaRae

Adorable photo :flowers:

It would have been nice to see a few. Other birthdays for the kids we have. See her playing or showing a bit of her character. Here she looks like modelling a sweater. We haven't seen her since Christmas, be nice to see a bit of her personality. Catching a glimpse in pap shots at her aunts wedding is hardly the same, or reason to release so few.

I am one who sees more of the queen and windsors in her.

We will see good-quality pictures from Pippa's wedding.

Happy birthday to little Charlotte!

I hope she is confronted with a wild bunch of little friends and a mountain of cake :flowers:

At first sight she looks similar to her father and brother, but one time I saw a photo where she really remembered me to QE.

It was in their winter holidays (was it in France?) when she was still a baby. She watched the falling snow so curiously and same time so thoughtfully.

Rebecca English‏ @RE_DailyMail
Kate revealed today that she has five chickens at home - and an incubator of eggs that George and Charlotte are excitedly trying to hatch.

Kate also said she is trying to teach #PrincessCharlotte Spanish - and #PrinceGeorge can already count to ten in the language.

Kate also revealed she held a party for #PrincessCharlotte's second birthday yesterday - and she sang Happy Birthday to herself! Sweet.

Kate is trying to teach Charlotte Spanish? As Maria, Charlotte and George's nanny, is Spanish, and Kate has never claimed to be fluent in that language I would guess that it is Maria who is teaching George words and numbers.

Last edited:
I agree. As I have never even heard it mentioned Kate knows any Spanish, it seems far more likely her full time nanny who is Spanish is teaching them. Hopefully Kate practices a bit when with the kids. George can show mommy what we learned.

It is often why some families choose a nanny with a different first language. Their child becoming bilingual is a great benefit.

Counting to ten in Spanish is a long way from becoming bilingual. By age four, George would actually be able to speak Spanish if nanny Maria was the full-time care giver, which she's not, obviously.

You can be employed full-time in a position, that doesn't mean she's with the children 24/7.

Given all the stories and pics we have of Carole and Kate with George and Charlotte, it's clear to me Kate is with her children more often than not.

Last edited:
I've always gotten that impression as well. She is a very hands on mother...the nanny is there for backup ...when appointments come up etc.

LaRae

Birthday girl Princess Charlotte on the cover of this week's People Magazine

In this week’s cover story, an insider tells PEOPLE that guests at Anmer Hall are typically greeted by Kate herself at the door, with newly 2-year-old Princess Charlotte in her arms and 3-year-old Prince George “clinging to her ankles.”

“There was no formality at all,” says the insider. “It really was like any other family sitting down to lunch, with George and Charlotte eating their homemade food in their high chairs and toddling around with their toys.”

And although they have plenty of help from nanny Maria Turrion Borrallo, it’s often just the family of four at home.

“You’d think that Kate and William would have an army of staff to help them out, but it really was just them and the children,” notes the insider
Read more: Princess Charlotte, Prince George's Life at Anmer Hall

Ah, the new photo of Charlotte is so adorable. She's grown up so much since Christmas! I'm not sure who she looks like, but I do think she resembles the Middletons more than the Windsors. I'm looking forward into seeing her at her aunt's wedding soon.

Kate is trying to teach Charlotte Spanish? As Maria, Charlotte and George's nanny, is Spanish, and Kate has never claimed to be fluent in that language I would guess that it is Maria who is teaching George words and numbers.

Yes, I would agree. It makes more sense for Maria to teach the children Spanish because as has been said, Catherine is not fluent in the language. I'm pleased that the children are learning Spanish though - I'm learning the language myself at the moment because I've always wanted to learn it (I never got the opportunity at school) and it's also a widely spoken language.
The anecdote about the incubator for the little chicks was cute too!

Ah, the new photo of Charlotte is so adorable. She's grown up so much since Christmas! I'm not sure who she looks like, but I do think she resembles the Middletons more than the Windsors. I'm looking forward into seeing her at her aunt's wedding soon.

I'm glad someone else sees that, too. :flowers: I can't see the Windsors (though I'm sure some of that side twinkles through anon and again, if only in mannerisms and tendencies). But overall her face is so broad, she seems more Michael Middleton than even his own children. ;)

Counting to ten in Spanish is a long way from becoming bilingual. By age four, George would actually be able to speak Spanish if nanny Maria was the full-time care giver, which she's not, obviously.

You can be employed full-time in a position, that doesn't mean she's with the children 24/7.

Given all the stories and pics we have of Carole and Kate with George and Charlotte, it's clear to me Kate is with her children more often than not.

Full time means she is there at least 40 hours a week. Ontop of the housekeeper who also has babysitting in her job description (likely covering evenings or events on Maria's days off).

Nor has it ever been implied that Maria speaks only Spanish to the kids. Yes, if she was, you'd expect him to be bilingual. That doesn't mean in the long hours of the day she is with them, she hasn't taught them to count and such.

I am not saying Kate is not very hands on. Not at all. But portraying Maria as some babysitter around to help on odd occasion is incorrect.

My kids grew up being able to count to 10 in Spanish at a very early age. They loved Sesame Street and there was quite a bit of both English and Spanish in the show. Especially loved "The Count" who did a fine job counting to 10 in Spanish.

I would imagine just having Maria in the household has added a Spanish flavor to the entire Cambridge household. Its hard to actually live and interact with someone day to day and not pick up something.

Just a thought here. Perhaps if William and Kate are going to be involved in the eventual Spanish state visit, maybe Maria will be able to help them out a bit with phrases in Spanish to make their guests feel more comfortable. ;)

It's also possible that Maria is teaching Kate Spanish so that Kate can then participate in teaching the kids the language.

Of course, anything we surmise about what happens behind the gates of Anmer and KP is more about our outlook on the Cambridges than anything else.

Did Kate actually say she (specifically) was teaching Charlotte Spanish? Obviously Maria is the main factor there. Had Maria been Helga it would have been German, or Nicole, French!

Charlotte looks a very determined litttle lady (remembering the Canada garden play date also), possibly Granny Carole's genes to the fore there.

Did Kate actually say she (specifically) was teaching Charlotte Spanish? Obviously Maria is the main factor there. Had Maria been Helga it would have been German, or Nicole, French!

Charlotte looks a very determined litttle lady (remembering the Canada garden play date also), possibly Granny Carole's genes to the fore there.

I don't know if you already saw it or not, but according to this Tweet posted by Rudolf a few posts back:

Kate also said she is trying to teach #PrincessCharlotte Spanish - and #PrinceGeorge can already count to ten in the language.

This is the "source" for the discussion about Catherine teaching Charlotte Spanish, I would think.

FWIW, I think that's just the way British people speak. I remember on "Downton Abbey". Edith told her editor that she was "racing" somewhere when in actuality she was going to watch a motor race.

Did Kate actually talk to Rebecca, a direct quote, or is it she was told this is something Kate spoke about to someone there? It seems likely Kate said it to someone she was interacting with and not a reporter. It's very possible Kate simply said Charlotte and George we're learning, and who ever she said it to interpreted that as Kate was teaching.

Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News Part 2: May 2016

FWIW, I think that's just the way British people speak. I remember on "Downton Abbey". Edith told her editor that she was "racing" somewhere when in actuality she was going to watch a motor race.

I'm actually British myself so as someone who would also use such figures of speech I did bare that in mind.

The Tweet just did seem more likely that Catherine was insinuating that she taught Charlotte Spanish herself (though I think it's more likely that Maria is teaching her Spanish) to me initially, which is why I referenced it.

Last edited:
I'm actually British myself so as someone who would also use such figures of speech I did bare that in mind.

The Tweet just did seem more likely that Catherine was insinuating that she taught Charlotte Spanish herself (though I think it's more likely that Maria is teaching her Spanish) to me initially, which is why I referenced it.

My guess is that Kate was the one who requested it although it is possible that Maria decided it on her own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom