Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News 2: May 2015 - May 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember - did any of the paps following Diana's car get charged with contributing to her death? Until the paps learn AND ABSORB the consequences of just how damaging and/or devastating their incessant hounding can be they will never change. Greed rules.

(Not worded well but all I could think of right now)

Was at the local small town (population under 2000) grocery store today here in the midwest....there were at least 3 magazines/papers with pics of the BRF on there.

99 percent of them wouldn't have a clue who any other the other royal families are in the world. Nor would they really care.

LaRae

I don't remember - did any of the paps following Diana's car get charged with contributing to her death? Until the paps learn AND ABSORB the consequences of just how damaging and/or devastating their incessant hounding can be they will never change. Greed rules.

(Not worded well but all I could think of right now)

I don't think so...a few were detained after the accident but released.

laRae

In terms of media interest, you are comparing guppies with blue whales. The BRF could post 10 selfies a day and still be stalked by the paps.

I agree up to a point, but I do think the Cambridges might consider allowing a few more photo opportunities.
By hiding the children away except for a (very occasional) picture, they are
needlessly antagonizing the media and the whole thing may result in a free-for-all.

Was at the local small town (population under 2000) grocery store today here in the midwest....there were at least 3 magazines/papers with pics of the BRF on there.

99 percent of them wouldn't have a clue who any other the other royal families are in the world. Nor would they really care.

LaRae
Quite right about that. Most us citizens have no clue there is any other royals. also, to compare the uk with the continentals is crazy. The uk, us, and Aussie do not protect children's images, you figure it out

We saw pictures of George at his birth, his christening, on the Australian tour, at Christmas and at the hospital with William. We'll probably see another couple when they release the first pictures of the family with Charlotte. That's all before he's two years old. Why do we, the public, need to see such a small child any more than that?

They also released the photos taken by Michael Middleton, the family photo taken at KP and the photos for his birthday. So we have gotten quite a few photos/photo-ops of George.

Even without photos, there seems to be a lot of information about life at Anmer available.

The Dersingham Parish Council noted Prince George's attendance at their playground on their facebook- as did the company that built the equipment, on their facebook.

The shop that sold the little cardigan Prince George wore to the Lindo Wing has told how the Duchess bought it last November, and more recently bought three similar cardigans in other colours.

"Trotters" has also revealed a "Middleton family member" bought the "Organic Sprout" hair product used on little PG's locks so he looked so smart for his public outing in front of the world's media.

I've read of the three pubs in Norfolk that the Duke and Duchess frequent for meals with their friends - and who those friends are that live about them.

I've seen photos inside the local picture-framing shop and the hat shop that the Duchess has visited - and read the comments of the staff/owners about how many times, and with who, she has been there.

I've seen a photo of the local butcher shop the Duke and Duchess have used.

I've learnt little PG has a toy fire-engine that he can fit in, that he enjoys.

I've read how the Duke and Duchess have been seen walking across the fields and on the local beach - prior to Princess Charlotte's birth.

So even without photos, there is a lot being reported on by various sources - though most may just be a flurry caused by the family having recently settled there with the baby.

Last edited:
I always laugh when people say George is 'hidden away'. If that's the case why is he photographed at petting zoos or taking walks in the park with his nanny or going on vacations with the family.

Just because the Cambridges don't parade George around like he's Harper Beckham or aren't constantly posting 'selfies' to their instagram account doesn't mean George is 'hidden away'

Whenever I see pics of George he looks like a healthy and happy child doing the things children do. Long may it continue.

Last edited:
Quite right about that. Most us citizens have no clue there is any other royals. also, to compare the uk with the continentals is crazy. The uk, us, and Aussie do not protect children's images, you figure it out

To quote a song....Money money money...money!

Personally I haven't spent a dime on any mags that profile celebs/royals since Diana's death.

LaRae

It will be a few years before he's ready to take his seat on the British throne, but Prince George has already proved himself to be the King of the Swings.

Mum Princess Kate recently took her 21-month-old son for a surprise trip to Dersingham Recreation Park near his new home at Anmer Hall.

And like all toddler boys, George made full use of the swings, slides and other play facilities at the park – which is just a regular playground for the local public.

"All the local boys and girls got to play with Prince George and none of them knew anything about it," a local resident tells PEOPLE in this week's cover story.
Prince George's Secret Playground Outing : People.com

LaRae
That is so very true. Most on the Royal Forum who are American gather a lot of their information from other members messages. You really have to search for information on other Royals of the world if you are the least bit interested. Traveling to Netherlands in 2008 for two weeks, 75% of the tour group [all Americans] didn't even know that the country had a Queen! Some were fascinated, most didn't care.
They were more interested in the locals and how they live and their customs.

That is so very true. Most on the Royal Forum who are American gather a lot of their information from other members messages. You really have to search for information on other Royals of the world if you are the least bit interested. Traveling to Netherlands in 2008 for two weeks, 75% of the tour group [all Americans] didn't even know that the country had a Queen! Some were fascinated, most didn't care.
They were more interested in the locals and how they live and their customs.

I've been interested in the various royals for years...and I rarely run into anyone (work, friends, customers and even online groups) who care about the royals...and the very few that do only really know Diana forward...and generally are most familiar with William and Kate ..perhaps Harry.

One online board I'm one (for about 15 years now) has people from all over the world...and no one talks about them...I posted a link about the new princess and maybe 5 people commented...and most of them Americans.

LaRae

To quote a song....Money money money...money!

Personally I haven't spent a dime on any mags that profile celebs/royals since Diana's death.

I think the thing that disturbs me the most is how these royal children are bandied about and how much or how little the press and the public deserves to see them and how it should be done. Its as if these very flesh and blood little ones are commodities to be packaged and delivered to the demands of the gawking, drooling public with fistfuls of green dollars. Is the public that uncaring as to what is best for the children at all?

To be honest, at this point in their lives, George and Charlotte play absolutely no part in the royal scheme of things and at the age they are, their inner circle of trust basically revolves around mommy and daddy and the immediate families. The outside world can be a pretty scary place by itself without crowds, noise and flashbulbs/cameras in their faces every time they step out of the door. Even William at a young age stated point blank "I don't like 'tographers".

My opinion is that the public should count as a blessing the few pictures that we do get and that the press should all come down with some bizarre strain of Altzheimer's that instantly makes them forget to take the lens cap off of the camera.

Let these children enjoy the wonders of childhood in peace as most of us had the chance to.

Absolutely Osipi I totally agree. Until they have reached their late teens or so (privacy at college etc) they should be sheltered and protected from the craziness. Pics taken at public events like the Royal Horse Show and the few released by the family each year should be it. Let them feel safe and protected as long as they can.

LaRae

I really don't think anyone are expecting a whole lot from the young Cambridge kids at this moment. Nice pictures released for their birthdays, christenings, appearances on the balcony after the Trooping and nice outings at polo or Windsor Horse Show isn't too much for them. The world won't attack them and they will always be sheltered and protected by their parents and family.

I think the thing that disturbs me the most is how these royal children are bandied about and how much or how little the press and the public deserves to see them and how it should be done. Its as if these very flesh and blood little ones are commodities to be packaged and delivered to the demands of the gawking, drooling public with fistfuls of green dollars. Is the public that uncaring as to what is best for the children at all?

To be honest, at this point in their lives, George and Charlotte play absolutely no part in the royal scheme of things and at the age they are, their inner circle of trust basically revolves around mommy and daddy and the immediate families. The outside world can be a pretty scary place by itself without crowds, noise and flashbulbs/cameras in their faces every time they step out of the door. Even William at a young age stated point blank "I don't like 'tographers".

My opinion is that the public should count as a blessing the few pictures that we do get and that the press should all come down with some bizarre strain of Altzheimer's that instantly makes them forget to take the lens cap off of the camera.

Let these children enjoy the wonders of childhood in peace as most of us had the chance to.

Very well said! At this point, the children should only worry about being children, and not about the vultures that are the press. There's no reason that a child of George's age should be photographed during family outings (yes, I know that it happens, but it doesn't make it right). He and his sister are humans, not animals at the zoo. There will be plenty of opportunities to see them once they're older, and have a better understanding of what goes on. Seeing their pictures is a privilege, and not a right, so the public ought to adopt the philosophy of 'you get what you get, and you don't get upset'.

Absolutely Osipi I totally agree. Until they have reached their late teens or so (privacy at college etc) they should be sheltered and protected from the craziness. Pics taken at public events like the Royal Horse Show and the few released by the family each year should be it. Let them feel safe and protected as long as they can.

LaRae

Absolutely! They need time to grow without all eyes looking on. Once they're older, and start taking part in official events, the public can be treated to pictures from the said events, and that's it. No need to film them going to school, or playing at the park (again, I know it happens/will happen, but it doesn't make it right).

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Victoria, Daniel and Estelle could show up at the local IKEA and no one would have a clue who they were. But Pippa Middleton biking thru town would make the local news.

So true. I remember that Victoria and Daniel (and I think Estelle) were in San Francisco, CA and the trip barely made the local SF papers. I only knew about the trip from reading this forum. Stephanie of Monaco and her children were having a picnic in Central Park NY and not even the NY rags bothered to report it. (and Stef used to be a STAR over here). Several European royals have made visits to the U.S. or even live here and not many of us know or care.

For comparison, the "Daily Mail/Mail Online" has - as it's top story at this moment - lots of photos of the Queen's other grandchildren/great grandchildren running, laughing and playing at the Windsor Horse Show.

They don't seem inhibited by the photographer/s, who must have followed them for a long time looking at the different rides they're on, eating ice-cream and playing with each other and with their parents.

Lady Louise seems aware of the camera in one photo, but other-wise the children just seem to have got on with it and enjoyed the day.

Last edited:
For comparison, the "Daily Mail/Mail Online" has - as it's top story,at this moment - lots of photos of the Queen's other grandchildren/great grandchildren running, laughing and playing at the Windsor Horse Show.

They don't seem inhibited by the photographer/s.

Not a fair apples to orange comparison I am afraid.

First of all, they are considerably older than George and Charlotte. And when they were younger, although there was certainly an interest in Louise, James, Savannah and Isla is going to be NO WHERE the same amount of interest as if George and Charlotte appeared at the show.

Not a fair apples to orange comparison I am afraid.

First of all, they are considerably older than George and Charlotte. And when they were younger, although there was certainly an interest in Louise, James, Savannah and Isla is going to be NO WHERE the same amount of interest as if George and Charlotte appeared at the show.

Indeed. And some may not remember, but when Louise and James were babies/toddlers, they were basically kept completely out of the public eye (even more so than George has been so far). And, obviously, the level of interest in them was and is completely different. But even there, there was caution about press exposure to them when they were very little. So I can only imagine how much thought and concern must go into how and when to have George and Charlotte out around the press.

I wonder if the real drawcard isn't actually the Duchess herself, (especially when pregnant, but finished with official duties preceding the birth).

All the photos of PG at Snettisham and Bucklebury petting farms had his mother in them, except the one hugging the other children.

When his grandmother Carole Middleton took PG to the pub, no photos.

And even though the photos of both farm visits were published in Australian magazines, they weren't a big deal here.

Other people got the main cover - in one instance, a year old photo of Uncle Harry took precedence over the new photos of PG.

For comparison, the "Daily Mail/Mail Online" has - as it's top story at this moment - lots of photos of the Queen's other grandchildren/great grandchildren running, laughing and playing at the Windsor Horse Show.

They don't seem inhibited by the photographer/s, who must have followed them for a long time looking at the different rides they're on, eating ice-cream and playing with each other and with their parents.

Lady Louise seems aware of the camera in one photo, but other-wise the children just seem to have got on with it and enjoyed the day.

They all know they're being photographed, but they are going about their day and having a good time as a family. The family isn't always pictured and followed, and no one is bothering them. The Cambridge's can join this outing and no one will bother them, they would have good time and everyone would enjoy the pictures.

I think people are just overreacting when it comes to the very idea of the Cambridge's being pictured at controlled family outings. There's absolutely nothing wrong with George making an appearance of the palace balcony this year, watching and playing while his father is at a polo match or even at the Windsor Horse Show. No one is expected to see much of Charlotte yet, outside of her official pictures and christening.

Last edited:
Let's put George and Charlotte in cotton wool in a glass case ( blacked out of course) for the next 15 years. We won't let them be seen in public or play with their cousins etc so when they do appear in public they will be totally freaked out.
Expose them a little bit at a time and don't make it a big deal. The latest words in childcare are "risk taking" and being able to "bounce back"
I found that hard for a while after 20 years in childcare protecting them from potential harm. But I now know the benefits. I really hope to see them playing with the other children in family in a year or so

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Let's put George and Charlotte in cotton wool in a glass case ( blacked out of course) for the next 15 years. We won't let them be seen in public or play with their cousins etc so when they do appear in public they will be totally freaked out.
Expose them a little bit at a time and don't make it a big deal. The latest words in childcare are "risk taking" and being able to "bounce back"
I found that hard for a while after 20 years in childcare protecting them from potential harm. But I now know the benefits. I really hope to see them playing with the other children in family in a year or so

George enjoyed himself last year on the royal tour. He loved going to the zoo and watching the bilby. There were cameras in his face, but didn't let that scare him. He played with other kids at his first official engagement. There were cameras present, but he wasn't distracted and loved interacting with the other babies and played with his toys. George went with his mother to watch his father play polo for Father's Day. There were cameras present (from a good distance) and he played with a polo stick, walked and crawled. He only got a tad fussy when it was time to go. Most recently, he went with his father to visit his new baby sister in hospital. There were a vast camera and media pack present, but he simply looked, waved and carried on with his visit.

I think it simply goes to show that George, and later on Charlotte, will be alright when seen by the public and media. William and Catherine wouldn't put their children in harms way and no members of the media would want that either. Yes, pictures will sell, but that's how it's always been and it won't change in the future. Those kids will be fine no matter what, because they have their parents to protect them, family and are surrounded by security 24/7.

Just because we don't see them photographed doesn't mean they're being kept wrapped in cotton wool. The issue is really whether or not they're in a situation where they're going to be photographed. That doesn't mean they can't go out in public or play with their cousins, etc., I think it has more to do with the context of a situation. As Sun Lion mentioned, it's been known that George has been out in public without being photographed, but if he's with his mother (or his father, presumably), the chances of attracting attention are much higher.

As I mentioned, for a long time there weren't really any photos of the Wessex children (other than photos from their christenings). It very obvious that Edward and Sophie wanted to keep them out of the public eye when they were little, but that doesn't mean that Louise and James weren't "around." For example, I believe that when they were younger, the children would attend the Royal Windsor Horse Show accompanied by their nannies rather than their parents so that they could go unnoticed. I mean, that may seem to a lot of us like an unnecessary step to take, because it seems perfectly harmless just letting the kids be pictured (and especially with kids who are of considerably less public interest than George and Charlotte), but clearly it was an issue that was important to their parents. And yet, now that Louise and James do show up with the rest of the family, they seem fine and perfectly adjusted when there are cameras around.

I think, for us normal folks there are a lot of these events (e.g. something casual like the horse show, or something more formal like Trooping the Color) that seem perfectly harmless to us. But obviously some royal parents feel otherwise (as surely it would be easier to just take one's children out as normal), and they might have reasons for that that we can't understand. I think each set of royal parents, no matter which royal family they belong to, just try to navigate the situation as best they can. I don't necessarily think there's a right way or a wrong way, and I can only imagine how difficult some decisions must seem for parents raising their children in the public eye.

I also think that Louise was kept out of the media's eye when young because of her eye problem. Many in the media just had too many nasty and unwanted "advise" about the child's problem. The parents and doctors were correct in their opinion and operated when it was the correct time. I remember thinking at the time that people just had too much to say about her physical problem especially when no one knew all the facts but the professionals and parents. Which is how it should be as it was no one else's personal business.

I also think that Louise was kept out of the media's eye when young because of her eye problem. Many in the media just had too many nasty and unwanted "advise" about the child's problem. The parents and doctors were correct in their opinion and operated when it was the correct time. I remember thinking at the time that people just had too much to say about her physical problem especially when no one knew all the facts but the professionals and parents. Which is how it should be as it was no one else's personal business.

Yes, I think that had a lot to do with it, but I also think it was part of a general desire for privacy. Because when Louise did eventually start attending events publicly (most notably being one of William and Kate's bridesmaids), she still had the eye problem. Also, we still see more of Louise than we do of James at public events, which makes me think that age is part of the equation for them in terms of bringing the kids out.

For me, it's just interesting to see how relaxed Louise is in front of the cameras, when she was so shielded from them when she was small (and Edward and Sophie obviously seem quite okay with her being photographed, too.) Obviously any attention on the Wessex children will never be on the same level as what George and Charlotte will get, but it just seems interesting to me that in both cases you're seeing the kids get less public exposure when they're small, compared to William, Harry, Beatrice, and Eugenie (and probably Peter and Zara, too? I'm too young to remember how often they were seen) when they were little. And, I think we all know that, while we might not see tons of pictures of George and Charlotte while they're small, that will certainly evolve as they get older.

Of course, the photographers at the Trooping, horse show, Easter service or polo match, would love to see George, and later on Charlotte, but none of them would do anything to scare, harm or traumatize the kids. The kids are protected the entire time and press aren't anywhere near the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom