Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been King John's in the past so I wouldn't think there would be an issue with that name.

It's not a good name for a Scottish monarch because of John Balliol, who was put on the throne by the English King and had a less than successful reign.

At the same time, for the English there was King John of England who is remembered for the Magna Carta and being the villain in Robin Hood.

Prince Johns tend not to fair too well either. There's been a number of Prince John's who didn't survive into adulthood - including the last two - and it was a Prince John who fathered the Lancaster dynasty leading to the War of the Roses.

alice Diana caroline phillipa

I think Alice Diana Victoria or Alice Diana Phillipa or Alice Diana mary

or how about off the track and go Catherine caroline Elizabeth

Fergie was a big fan of Queen Victoria she named her children after names of Victorias children

there was a lavinia it was in the spencer family I believe she was Diana Great Aunt

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Johns tend not to fair too well either. There's been a number of Prince John's who didn't survive into adulthood - including the last two - and it was a Prince John who fathered the Lancaster dynasty leading to the War of the Roses.
What about variants of this name: Ian, Sean, Ianto?

i think it will be 3 names... **** Elizabeth Frances

but i have changed my mind on the first name repeatedly... but i think I'm back to

Mary Elizabeth Frances
or
Alexandra Elizabeth Frances
Alice Elizabeth Frances
Charlotte Elizabeth Frances

I expect the name announcement tomorrow after HM has visited her new great grand-daughter. Tonight the Cambridges deserve as peaceful a night as the new princess will allow. Quite an amazing day in their little family.

Imagine King Harry VIII and his six wives.
The nickname for king Henry VIII was king Hal, and king Henry V was known as prince Hal (at least in Shakespeare's plays Henry IV). Harry was actually the spoken Middle English form of Henry, and if believing Wikipedia most English kings named Henry were known as Harry in their time.

I've seen suggestions saying that since the little Princess is a May baby, Mary with May as a nickname could be a possibility. I think that's a really lovely idea, and I do believe May was Queen Mary's nickname, so it honours a relative, too.

However, I'm still rooting for a Princess Victoria Elizabeth Diana Caroline of Cambridge - Elizabeth after HM, Diana after the late Princess of Wales (IMO it would seem strange not to honour her) and Caroline after Carole Middleton. But I think Mary is very likely too, and I have Mary Elizabeth Catherine Victoria as my close contender for a girl after Victoria.

I am still going for Alice, although as for middle names I am not 100% sure. The female British royal names I can think of are Eleanor, Charlotte, Sophie/Sophia and Matilda that I would like to see in the name line up. I hope Diana is not included just for the child's sake.

I still think Alice too, although I also like Adelaide.

I hope either Diana or Frances will be included, personally, but won't really mind either way.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I do believe they announced George's name the day after his birth. :flowers:

You're off by a day. George was born on the 22nd, presented and taken home the 23rd, and had his name announced the 24th.

I think they denied naming George "after" anyone, they just liked the names (didn't they?)
that's why i think they will do they same this time and not include Diana or Elizabeth

i'm sticking with Matilda ;)

You're off by a day. George was born on the 22nd, presented and taken home the 23rd, and had his name announced the 24th.

So we could know the name tomorrow or Monday at the latest!

Here is a list of names of The news Princess most recent Female Ancestors:

Catherine Elizabeth Mother
Diane Frances Paternal Grandmother
Carole Elizabeth Maternal Grandmother
Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Paternal Great Grandmother
Frances Ruth Paternal Great Grandmother
Valerie Glassborow Maternal Great Grandmother
Dorothy Harrison Maternal Great Grandmother
Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Paternal Great Great Grandmother
Victoria Alice Elizabeth Julia Marie Paternal Great Great Grandmother
Cynthia Elinor Beatrix Hamilton Paternal Great Great Grandmother
Ruth Sylvia Gill Paternal Great Great Grandmother
Olive Christiana Lupton Maternal Great Great Grandmother
Constance Robinson Maternal Great Great Grandmother
Edith Eliza Chandler Maternal Great Great Grandmother
Elizabeth Mary Temple Maternal Great Great Grandmother

Last edited:
Was George a popular choice for a name when she was pregnant for the first time? (I couldn't follow much back those days so I can't tell).
Because there's a lot of Alice - Victoria - Elizabeth - Charlotte talk, so I think they might try no to choose them for the first name.

I can see they choosing Mary or Caroline, not too much talk about them (not as much as Alice, for example) or something like Isabella (which is the same as Elizabeth) to change a bit.

They can go for Mathilda/Mathilde, Eleanor, Stephanie, Emma, Emilly traditional ones and not so obvious.

Someone said Lavinia and Cecilia, adorable names, I would love to have a Princess Cecilia of Cambridge or Princess Lavinia of Cambridge.

Again, hoping for Caroline :D or Mary, my second favorite.

So we could know the name tomorrow or Monday at the latest!

I think that the Queen will attend church services in the morning, pop in early afternoon, and then we will hear the name.

We did hear George's name right after she left from her visit with him. I am guessing the DoE will be along this time - was he not recovering from surgery at Sandringham when George was born?

Was George a popular choice for a name when she was pregnant for the first time? (I couldn't follow much back those days so I can't tell).
Because there's a lot of Alice - Victoria - Elizabeth - Charlotte talk, so I think they might try no to choose them for the first name.

I can see they choosing Mary or Caroline, not too much talk about them (not as much as Alice, for example) or something like Isabella (which is the same as Elizabeth) to change a bit.

They can go for Mathilda/Mathilde, Eleanor, Stephanie, Emma, Emilly traditional ones and not so obvious.

Someone said Lavinia and Cecilia, adorable names, I would love to have a Princess Cecilia of Cambridge or Princess Lavinia of Cambridge.

George was the most obvious choice for a boy's name - it was one of the few names of a previous English/British monarch that wasn't in use by an HRH/close family member, and the only such name that had been used by more than one King.

His additional names, though, were somewhat less likely, although they were mentioned a fair bit prior to his birth. What was shocking about George's names weren't the names themselves so much as the ones not used - Arthur and Philip being two names people really expected to see.

Girls names are harder - she's not the heir herself, so there could be more flexibility, but if they want to go with the name of a monarch there are very few options again. I think the popular choices are popular choices largely because they're a bit atypical. That happened a bit with George too - there was a lot of pushing for James or Arthur to be the first name with George.

They have to stay within certain boundaries with number 2, but they have a lot more leeway. I would not be surprised if we see a traditional, but unused name.

I think they denied naming George "after" anyone, they just liked the names (didn't they?)
that's why i think they will do they same this time and not include Diana or Elizabeth

i'm sticking with Matilda ;)

I like Alexandria though I'm not holding my breath. As for the middle name I still like Diana Carol - that way it would be named after both grandmothers. They could put the great grandmother's name in there as well. So Alexandria Elizabeth Diana Carol, which is a mouthful but I think has a nice ring.
http://www.theroyalforums.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

George was certainly the favorite name, and no one was surprised when it was announced. It's a classic monarchical name, but was one of the only ones not in use by a close family member at the time (Charles, William, Henry, and James are all in use), and other names, such as Richard, just didn't seem their style. Louis wasn't really a surprise as a middle name, but Alexander was; I think most expected them to go with Arthur, Philip, Charles, or Michael.

I would actually love for them to use Caroline as a middle name... It honors both Carole Middleton and Charles! I'm hoping for a Victoria or a Charlotte as a first name. I'm not a big fan of Alice.

George was certainly the favorite name, and no one was surprised when it was announced. It's a classic monarchical name, but was one of the only ones not in use by a close family member at the time (Charles, William, Henry, and James are all in use), and other names, such as Richard, just didn't seem their style. Louis wasn't really a surprise as a middle name, but Alexander was; I think most expected them to go with Arthur, Philip, Charles, or Michael.

I would actually love for them to use Caroline as a middle name... It honors both Carole Middleton and Charles! I'm hoping for a Victoria or a Charlotte as a first name. I'm not a big fan of Alice.

I like Caroline as a middle name but I'm missing the Charles connection with the name?

Ok so after seeing pictures of the little princess my first thought was that she looks like an Alice! I definitely can't see her having a "strong" name like Victoria, Alexandra or Elizabeth. George and Alice would be beautiful.

I would love to see a Victoria, Alexandra, Mary or Charlotte. Such beautiful names for a lovely little girl.
I would not be surprised if they avoid Diana due to the possibility of the whole Diana vs Camilla tabloid stuff being dredged up again. They might use Francis instead.
Will be interesting to see what her name winds up being.
So will the christening be in August then? That would be about 3 months.

I'm thinking of Princess Victoria Mary Caroline of Cambridge

I would love to see a Victoria, Alexandra, Mary or Charlotte. Such beautiful names for a lovely little girl.
I would not be surprised if they avoid Diana due to the possibility of the whole Diana vs Camilla tabloid stuff being dredged up again. They might use Francis instead.
Will be interesting to see what her name winds up being.
So will the christening be in August then? That would be about 3 months.

Likely will be June or July before the queen leaves for Balmoral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom