Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
James and Henry are popular with the bookies but those names will not be used. I never understand why people get on those names. Even if they don't know young James Severn, people know Kate's brother is called James.

I absolutely love Alexandra or Charlotte
Very regal names

I absolutely love Alexandra or Charlotte
Very regal names

I agree. :flowers: I've settled on some combination with these two names, but I am very partial to having a Princess Charlotte. Now watch them name her (because it is going to be a girl ;) ) Christabel. :p

Last edited:
I like HRH Princess Victoria of Cambridge.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nimue. :D After all, Lady Nimue was a rather important personage in King Arthur's time. Caused Arthur quite a bit of trouble, the vixen! Princess Nimue. Has a ring! :flowers:

Last edited:
Princess Cecily Rose Victoria of Cambridge

Prince Christian Arthur Frederick of Cambridge

Whilst I personally am not a fan of Cecily, I think the idea of a Princess Cecily would be fantastic! Princess Cecily of Cambridge sounds wonderful, and I love your combination of Cecily Rose Victoria. I think Princess Cecilia of Cambridge also sounds lovely, but out of the two names, I have a feeling that Cecily would be more likely. I'm not sure if Christian would be chosen as a first name (but it could be possible as a middle name, wasn't one of Edward VIII's middle names Christian?), as it is the name of the little Danish Prince – but the BRF aren't that close to most of the European RFs, so that might not be a problem for William and Catherine, however I've always gotten the impression that the Danish and British RFs are quite close. I remember reading that CP Frederik and CP Mary called William and Catherine when George was born to congratulate them.

Now that is just too cute. Boris. Hmmm... interesting name that's not cropped up yet. :D

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Boris Johnson would be a namesake… he is a distant relation of the House of Hanover, after all :D ;)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nimue. :D After all, Lady Nimue was a rather important personage in King Arthur's time. Caused Arthur a bit of trouble, the vixen! Princess Nimue. Has a ring! :flowers:

Another version of that name is Vivian.
Princess Vivian sounds quite regal. :flowers:

I'm hoping for another boy little boys are so cute. Only thing is I don't like many of the boys names
But names grow on you so if he's as cute as George am sure I will love it later.

Please, no Vivian. It makes me think of Pretty Woman.

It'll be one of the usual royal names used by the BRF before.

Please, no Vivian. It makes me think of Pretty Woman.

It'll be one of the usual royal names used by the BRF before.

Every name has some negative associations, though.

What about Princess Jane? That hasn't been used in years. (Or ever? I know there was a Princess Joan of the Tower, but I like Jane much better than Joan).

that PG pic is soooo cute and those rubber ball cheeks....
I want to bite them........

Every name has some negative associations, though.

What about Princess Jane? That hasn't been used in years. (Or ever? I know there was a Princess Joan of the Tower, but I like Jane much better than Joan).

i think the 'negative association' there would be Lady Jane Grey/Queen Jane...

HRH Prince Charles Michael Henry Philip of Cambridge

Name of the paternal grandfather: Charles (also of the Earl Spencer)

Name of the maternal grandfather: Michael

Name of the uncle and possible godfather: Henry

Name of the aunt and possible godmother: Philippa(male version: Philip ), also of the Duke of Edinburgh

Last edited:
Queen Jane Seymour?

No, I meant Lady Jane Grey who became Queen Jane for about 9 days.

However, you're right, Jane Seymour was Queen too.

Forgive my presumption, but I predict a girl:

Alice Elizabeth (obviously for the Queen! and Carole Middleton's middle name) Frances (clearly Diana's middle name, much more subtle!)

On the off-chance of a boy:

Thomas Charles Francis (middle name of Michael Middleton)

Thoughts?

I think that certain female names are less likely to be used now than they may have been before the changes to the rules of succession because they have to "save" some classic female names for George's firstborn. Therefore, I think Elizabeth and Victoria, quite possibly Mary as well, are probably out, as they could all be used for a future heir/Queen. They may still appear as middle names, though. I'd say Anne and Catherine, too, are unlikely because it makes marketing sense to have a new/different name.

My top four picks are (in no particular order):
Charlotte
Caroline
Alexandra
Alice

For a second prince, I'd be inclined to rule out William, Henry, Charles, Andrew & Edward and quite probably James & Peter for the reason that they are already taken by the Queen's children & grandchildren. I'd go for one of the following four:

Alexander
Arthur
Philip
David

Middle Names (in addition to the tips above):
Elizabeth, Diana, Frances, Mary.
William, Charles, James, Michael.

Saving names because a toddler future king may have a daughter, let alone a first born ,in 20 or 30 years seems really far fetched to me.in my opinion they will go for a classic yet trendy name such as Charlotte or Alexandra so that way all bases are covered.

Alexander is one of George's names so I can't see them going with that but Arthur is a real contender. What about a Frederick, now?Classic and Royal and Goes well with George.I don't think they care about the Fred in Denmark having it, not as if they will be contemporaries nor nor the distant cousin.

Its been fun these past months with all the possibilities of names for the 2nd child. As the time approaches for the birth, I'm going to put in my final guess for the first name of this child.

For a girl: Mary (Alice, Elizabeth and Victoria strong for middle names)
For a boy: John (Philip, Michael and Edward strong for middle names)

Probably totally off base but we'll see. I love surprises.:D

Punters have staked a significant amount on the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge naming their second baby Alice - leaving one bookmaker facing a potential five-figure payout.

The odds on the royal couple calling their baby Alice have tumbled with bookmaker William Hill from 14-1 to 4-1 after the bets were made last week.

William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams said: "Alice is the new favourite and we have seen a significant number of bets, particularly from the Tunbridge area - you have to think there is good reason for the gamble."

If the wagers prove correct the bookmakers face losing a five-figure sum.

After Alice the next fancied moniker among punters is the Queen's name Elizabeth at odds of 9-2 followed by Charlotte 11-2, Victoria 12-1, Alexandra 14-1, Diana 16- 1, and the boys names Arthur, Henry and James all at 20-1.
More: Royal baby will be called Alice, say bookies - Telegraph

Saving names because a toddler future king may have a daughter, let alone a first born ,in 20 or 30 years seems really far fetched to me.in my opinion they will go for a classic yet trendy name such as Charlotte or Alexandra so that way all bases are covered.

Alexander is one of George's names so I can't see them going with that but Arthur is a real contender. What about a Frederick, now?Classic and Royal and Goes well with George.I don't think they care about the Fred in Denmark having it, not as if they will be contemporaries nor nor the distant cousin.

This baby will be the aunt or uncle of George's son or daughter, who will be heir apparent. I don't think it's far-fetched at all to try to avoid a situation in which George has a child and sibling with the same name. It's happened, of course, (all those Victorias & Louises...!) but if things work out in the normal way, the name of George's first child will be far more "important" than that of William's second on a historical level. The Royal family tend to take a long-term view of things and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they leave certain "key" names aside (as first names, at any rate) for future use.

That said, if it's born on the Queen's birthday, the chances of Elizabeth being in there are greatly increased, i'd say

Last edited:
George isn't even 2 yet. I don't think that William and Kate would not use a name for their son or daughter because it maybe a potential name of their grandkid.

If they want the baby to be Elizabeth, then the baby is going to be Elizabeth. If they are going with Philip or Elizabeth, why not do it now when their namesakes are still here.

George having kids is not a given. This baby could possibly end up on the throne. Charles I, Henry VIII, William IV, George V, George VI -all were younger sons that ended up on the throne.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Using tradition I say Princess Mary Anne Louise. This child will be the Next Princess Royal after Princess Anne. All three of these names are the last Princess Royal names.

That's by no means a certainty. The style of Princess Royal is bestowed at the monarch's discretion.

Alexander was a little "out of left field" but Louis is one of Williams' names and is in tribute to Earl Mountbatten who was a surrogate Grandfather figure to the Prince of Wales. I think it might well become a traditional name in future generations of the Mounbatten branch of the Windsors.

I doubt that Louis was chosen for that reason. Earl Mountbatten wouldn't mean anything to Prince William. It will have pleased Prince Charles of course, but if W&C were wanting to "honour" someone, there are plenty of other candidates closer to them. Louis is a very popular name in England right now, and I think it more likely that they chose it because they like it.

Last edited:
George isn't even 2 yet. I don't think that William and Kate would not use a name for their son or daughter because it maybe a potential name of their grandkid.

If they want the baby to be Elizabeth, then the baby is going to be Elizabeth. If they are going with Philip or Elizabeth, why not do it now when their namesakes are still here.

George having kids is not a given. This baby could possibly end up on the throne. Charles I, Henry VIII, William IV, George V, George VI -all were younger sons that ended up on the throne.

I'm not sure why you mention Philip there. If it's a prince, I wouldn't in the slightest be surprised if he's called Philip.

Elizabeth is a different matter. It's not just a question of a name for a future grandkid, though; It's a name for a future monarch. As you say, it's not a given that George will grow up, marry or have kids.We can add Mary I, Elizabeth I, Anne and James II to the long list of siblings who inherited. There's also the eventuality that a generation will be skipped at some point, as happened with the Edward the Black Prince, Frederick Prince of Wales and, more recently with King Carl XVI Gustaf succeeding his grandfather in Sweden. Nevertheless, if everything evolves in the natural order, the first born baby of George will be the sovereign and the second child of William won't. It is my feeling that although they may well choose Elizabeth as a middle name for a princess, they are unlikely to choose it as the first, leaving the possibility open for George's first born daughter to become Princess Elizabeth & later Queen Elizabeth III without having a royal aunt with the same name.

Last edited:
William and Kate said they just liked the names for George. They are not going to explain their choices for him or the next one. So we don't know if they were honoring someone or not. Louis can be explained as one of William's name so they are honoring him but we don't that for certain.

The Queen's names is the only one that is pretty straight forward where they got the names from. Everybody else is just speculation unless they come out and say it.

If one wants to "honour" someone, one would usually give that person's first forename. Using one of their middle names is rather an oblique way of doing it, surely? Their middle names were likely given in honour of someone else.

Example: The Prince of Wales is Charles Philip Arthur George. (Philip after his father, obviously).
If I wanted to "honour" the PoW, I would give the child the name Charles as a first or middle name - not Philip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom