Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think members of the BRF gave a s*** what other royals do

Like they did with Prince George's names, I think William and Catherine will go for something traditional within the RF, so I doubt, whilst it is an interesting honour name and I quite like it myself, we won't be seeing a Princess Valerie or a Prince Ronald. Though Valerie has been used within the royal circles before, as there was an Archduchess Valerie of Austria, but I guess we're talking about the BRF and not the former Austrian Imperial Family.

I'm still betting on a Prince Arthur or a Princess Victoria of Cambridge.

I would love to see Mary Elizabeth Victoria. :flowers:

I adore the name Mary. It has so much history and a lovely, strong classic. I also love your prediction of Mary Elizabeth Victoria - it's very similar to one of my own, which was Mary Elizabeth Catherine Victoria.

It might; I've thought that it would be unlikely for them to name a daughter Eleanor, even though it has been the name of several queens.

(Simply because so many young royals in Europe currently have variations of that name).

Whilst I'm loving the sound of a Princess Eleanor of Cambridge, I too don't think William and Catherine will choose it as there are lots of other little royals in Europe who are called some variant of Eleanor. There's two Leonores (the Duchess of Gotland in Sweden and Princess Laurentien's daughter in the Netherlands), one Leonor (the Princess of Asturias) and one Eleonore (Princess Eleonore of Belgium). I think Albert and Charlene will go for something French albeit most of the family have English sounding names, so I don't particularly think their choices will affect William and Catherine's choices.

Last edited:
Weren't there rumours that Alexander was Catherine's favourite name and that that's where it came from?

It might; I've thought that it would be unlikely for them to name a daughter Eleanor, even though it has been the name of several queens.

(Simply because so many young royals in Europe currently have variations of that name).

Honestly, I don't think that would bother them. I don't think e.g. Crown Princess Victoria would name a daughter Ingrid because she's so close to the Norwegian Crown Princely couple and godmother to Ingrid Alexandra. However, as far as we know, William and Catherine are not particularly close to any other royal couples and then why should they care whether there's another little princess named Eleanor (or a variation of that) elsewhere in the world? If Eleanor is the name they like, I'm pretty sure they'll name their daughter that regardless and I completely understand that. I wouldn't want to scrap my favourite name for my child just because some other people I barely know have used it before.

True! Many families think nothing of using the same name. For example in my husband's family within the first cousins there are 5 James, though some are called Jamie or Jay on a daily basis to avoid confusion. My husband was 'Little' Jim at 50 because his uncle Jim was still alive. 'Little' Jim was a foot taller than 'Big' Jim, too!

But Eleanor of Aquitaine (who I am currently reading about after a long absence) is a formidable woman to be named after. Remarkable personage. :flowers:

Imo indeed they won't dismiss a name because it's already been used by someone, unless it's someone really close, like for instance if P.Harry already had a kid, they might not name the baby the same as that kid, but i don't think they will look further in family or work (or royal) circles.
(In my family there are several cousins with the same first name, all named after their grandfather or grandmother (as is tradition here)...)

You can also argue George is for George VI - the Queen's beloved father and one of Charles's names. Alexander is the male version of Alexandria which is one of the Queen's middle names. Louis is one of William's names and the late Lord Mountbatten's name.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yes, I think that's who they honored in their choice of names.

I don't think members of the BRF gave a s*** what other royals do

I completely agree - the only names off the table are the current Windsors with the exception of Elizabeth, Philip and Charles.

If it's a girl, I think many people will be shocked if Elizabeth and Diana are not in there - perhaps not as a first name, but certainly 2nd and 3rd.

^ Exactly. In no particular order:
Victoria
Elizabeth
Diana
Charlotte

Though a first name of Elizabeth would have all the 'drawbacks' that the anti- Diana batch sounds at the use of Diana...it invites comparisons to a present lady who casts a long shadow.

This baby isn't likely to be Queen so there won't be direct comparison with the Queen. They could also use Francis which was Diana's middle name and Mike's middle name is Frances. If the baby comes near the Queen's birthday of Apr 21 and its a girl. It's going be likely that Elizabeth is somewhere in her names.

If it is a girl I don't see them using Elizabeth and Diana together.

Elizabeth Frances Catherine or
Alexandra Elizabeth Frances

This is a royal baby and if something happen to George then this baby will be monarch. Although there might be leeway, in naming baby two, they will give the baby several traditional 'royal' names.

But Eleanor of Aquitaine (who I am currently reading about after a long absence) is a formidable woman to be named after. Remarkable personage. :flowers:
Which would give us how many little Eleanors, Elenores, Leonors in Europe?;)

Which would give us how many little Eleanors, Elenores, Leonors in Europe?;)

Not many named Eleanor (the name itself), or am I mistaken? Princess Eleanor sounds so very regal. And mature. :flowers: Anyway, a long-shot perhaps.

I am thinking that the Monaco birth, which happens earlier, might impact name choices. I know there are some who feel the BRF (England) goes it's own way with nary a nod to the continent (shades of High Middle Ages thinking!) :p but I think there is some consideration.

I was struck that Chelsea Clinton named her daughter Charlotte after meeting with Charlene at an event. I wonder if names were talked about. ;)

Well, we'll see. Learning the name is as much fun as learning the sex of the child.

Last edited:
:previous: Why wouldn't they use Elizabeth and Diana together?

Well.....:whistling::whistling::whistling:

I think if it's girl they will name her after the Queen as the baby will be born in April and 2015 is the year the Queen surpasses Victoria as the longest reigning British monarch.

They may give a nod to both women and name the baby Elizabeth Victoria

I think if it's girl they will name her after the Queen as the baby will be born in April and 2015 is the year the Queen surpasses Victoria as the longest reigning British monarch.

They may give a nod to both women and name the baby Elizabeth Victoria

Yours is the most persuasive reasoning I have read. :flowers: Makes perfect sense!

Notice how we are all leaning towards girls' names. Do we all have that same gut feeling, or are we just out of boy talk?

Notice how we are all leaning towards girls' names. Do we all have that same gut feeling, or are we just out of boy talk?

I think people were mostly leaning towards girls names with George too.

People wanted George to be a girl because of the new law where a girl wouldn't have been bumped by a brother. I think now for this one, the thought is there is a boy already lets have a girl now.

This baby isn't likely to be Queen so there won't be direct comparison with the Queen. They could also use Francis which was Diana's middle name and Mike's middle name is Frances. If the baby comes near the Queen's birthday of Apr 21 and its a girl. It's going be likely that Elizabeth is somewhere in her names.

Francis is male, Frances is female.

There were lots in earlier posts, with Philip and Charles (as a middle name) being front runners!

I'd like it if they went back to many names for the children. Then one name could be chosen for casual use. I guess little George's 3 names is a product of the new simplicity.

I do think it somewhat unfair that the commoner wives are not encouraged to use a name from their side of the family.

There are not all that many names to choose from, if they want to avoid using the traditional family names already in use. I think that might be the reason why it's funnier to guess girls names. I know I think it is. Currently my boys guesses are Arthur and Philip, that's right about it and you can only talk about two names for so long :D

There are so many different traditional family girls names that aren't already in use, so I just think it's much more exciting speculate about those.

As we saw with George, they went for something that they just liked. George may be a traditional royal name but he wasn't actually named after anyone in particular, they just liked the name. If he was, the Cambridges aren't saying. I think they will do the same thing with the second child. Charles and Diana did the same. William and Harry were names they liked. The chances of laying a "named after" on any of these names is easy if you look for it but I do not think that was the parent's intent.

I don't think Will and Kate will honor anyone with the name of their child.

I remember before William was born, his mother reportedly wanted to name him Oliver. Charles was said to have put the kibosh on that and I don't blame him.

I have no insight on how they will name #2. They don't have to tell me if they don't want.

Wasn't it John Diana wanted to named him, after her father? At least that's what I've heard.

I've never heard that Diana wanted to use 'Oliver' for the son and heir of King Charles iii..

IF she did it is proof of her rather warped sense of humour, and of her low opinion of the institution in which she was [for a time] an important figure...

I said "reportedly." Just because you didn't hear about it does not mean it did not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom