Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's Richard Duke of Gloucester, though. The Royal Family usually keeps away from names that are already in use, doesn't it?

I am hoping for a girl - let's dream, for twin girls. A princess Alexandra Charlotte or two princesses Alexandra and Cecilia (Cecilia like the Queen Mother's mother).

I think the name Alexandra Charlotte is especially pretty.

What about Charlotte Catherine Caroline Cynthia?

Eugenie's second name is Victoria.

I don't think George V liked either name much. The he had two sons born after his grandmother's death, neither of whom he gave the name Albert. It's also said that he's the one who told the then Duke of York (later George VI) that it wasn't necessary to name his first daughter Victoria - it's rather interesting that that daughter, QEII, is named for the 3 Queen Consorts who immediately preceded her (although at the time of her birth it would have been her mother and 2 Queen Consorts). Had they given her a fourth name it likely would have been Victoria, but they deliberately decided not to.

I think they were sick and tired of Victoria, frankly. Wasn't Elizabeth the first royal girl born after the Victoria's death?

What names did George V given his sons after her death?

I am hoping for a girl - let's dream, for twin girls. A princess Alexandra Charlotte or two princesses Alexandra and Cecilia (Cecilia like the Queen Mother's mother).

Mary Rose Cecilia for a girl.

My guesses for girls:

Victoria Diana Carole
Victoria Elizabeth Mary
Elizabeth Carole Diana
Amelie Therese Josephine
Isabella Marie Helene
Alexandra Louise Diana
Charlotte Eleanor Victoria
Eleanor Victoria Elizabeth

There's Richard Duke of Gloucester, though. The Royal Family usually keeps away from names that are already in use, doesn't it?
Duke of Keint is Edward and Earl of Wessex is Edward.
Earl of St. Andrews is George and Cambridge's first son is George.

George, (later George V) and Mary had two sons after Queen Victoria's death.
George Edward Alexander Edmund (later Duke of Kent) was born in December 1902.
The youngest child John Charles Francis, who died young, was born in July 1905.

Elizabeth was George V's first granddaughter. His daughter Mary, who married before Bertie of York, had two sons, George and Gerald, but no daughters.

But they have to be quite creative to find a name that is traditional and not already in use somehow at this point. Although I know that George is special because his name had to be extra traditional, it is already in use as well.

I personally think that with the exception of Elizabeth and Philip (and perhaps Henry), we can count out the names used within the close royal family. So no Charles, Camilla, Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie, Edward, Sophie, Louise, James or Anne as a given name.

I personally think that with the exception of Elizabeth and Philip (and perhaps Henry), we can count out the names used within the close royal family. So no Charles, Camilla, Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie, Edward, Sophie, Louise, James or Anne as a given name.

I would agree with that.

I like that name, Cecilia.

On another note, I wonder why the Queen Mother did not include her mother's name in her daughters names. They had room for them as Elizabeth has three names and Margaret had two.

Last edited:
Well in my family I have an uncle called Nicohlas and cousin called Nicohlas. They are father and son. The father is called Nick and the son is called Nicohlas. ;)

I really love Charlotte for a girl. For a boy, perhaps Albert? Seems it has been awhile since we had one of those. :)

Yes because having a 50/50 chance of being right doesn't have anything to do with guessing correctly ;)

I think that many predicted George was a girl because they wanted a girl not because they really thought it.. I think they are going to choose classical names...

For boys the don't have many chances... Girl's name are more

I really love Charlotte for a girl. For a boy, perhaps Albert? Seems it has been awhile since we had one of those. :)

That is correct, Kita.
Queen Elizabeth II's father was Prince Albert Frederick Arthur George.

Yes, but Earl Spencer recently had a daughter with his new wife, and named her Charlotte Diana.

Well in my family I have an uncle called Nicohlas and cousin called Nicohlas. They are father and son. The father is called Nick and the son is called Nicohlas. ;)

Nicohlas ? You mean Nicholas or Nicolas.

Nicolas is not a Name for a royal Baby.

;)

George VI wasn't the elder son, so his having the name Arthur wasn't part of the pattern.

If I'm correct (and I could have misread) every British prince or princess descended from Queen Victoria and Prince Albert born in Victoria's lifetime had either "Albert" or "Victoria" in their name except for their daughters Princess Alice and Princess Louise (the latter who had "Alberta" in hers). There were other British princes and princesses born in that time frame, but they were of the Hanoverian line, and didn't have either of the names. This is completely a tradition - I think two names being used more than 30 times in 3 generations counts as a tradition. It stopped almost immediately though; Prince George, Duke of Kent was born the year after Queen Victoria died and didn't have the name.

I kind of think the contemporary Arthur/Albert pattern is not necessarily a static tradition like the Albert/Victoria one so much as naming children after people. There are people and historical figures you can connect to each of Charles, Anne, Andrew, and Edward's names. Some of these same names repeat in William and Harry's names - I kind of think William got his middle names from his father (Arthur), grandfather (Philip), and father's mentor (Louis), while Harry got his names from his father (Charles) and great-grandfather (Albert). George in turn gets a name from his grandfather (George) and father (Louis).

Based on George's name, I would predict that this child - boy or girl - is going to get the name of a previously reigning monarch that isn't in use right now regardless of gender, and two other names that reoccur in the family but aren't necessarily obvious choices.

As far as I know, every female grandchild of Victoria had her Name, for example Victoria of Hessen-Darmstadt (1863-1953?), married to Louis Mountbatten.

Albert/Alberta - I don't know.

What's about Victor for a boy and Alberta for a g-irl ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom