Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is the 3rd Prince Edward? There was Albert Edward (Bertie -EdVII) Edward (David- Ed VIII) at the same time. Albert Victor aka Eddy was dead by then.

There is already a Scottish link with George's middle name of Alexander which was the name of several Scottish Kings.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The three Prince Edward's were Edward, Duke of Windsor (formerly Edward VIII), Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, and The Prince Edward, currently Earl of Wessex. This occurred for the 8 years between the Earl of Wessex's birth in 1964 and the Duke of Windsor's death in 1972.

I guess my choice for a name for a daughter the first time around is out. I wanted Georgianna. Now that would be too weird to have two Georgies in the family.

I'm going to predict that if its a girl this time around, she'll be known as Grace Mary Elizabeth. George and Gracie make a good couple. :D

For a boy, I wouldn't be surprised if the name was Charles Henry Philip.

Marvelous!!!!!

Who is the 3rd Prince Edward? There was Albert Edward (Bertie -EdVII) Edward (David- Ed VIII) at the same time. Albert Victor aka Eddy was dead by then.

There is already a Scottish link with George's middle name of Alexander which was the name of several Scottish Kings.

The 3 would be the Duke of Windsor, the Duke of Kent, and the Earl of Wessex. The youngest, the Earl of Wessex, was born in 1964, and the eldest, the Duke of Windsor, died in 1972.

Possible names for the 2nd child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

Thanks, I was just off 70 yrs. Even with those 3 Edwards, if the press said Prince Edward - you would think of the future Earl of Wessex since the other 2 would be referred to by the ducal title. Now the press hardly ever uses the right title. William is still called Prince William instead of his title. Imagine if there was baby Prince William of Cambridge.

I agree with the posters who don't think Diana will be included.
Let Harry name a child after her, his children won't be as closely watched and won't have the pressure to fill her shoes. Oh, they'll get attention, but not on the scale of William's offspring.

Now, for a girl: Elizabeth Victoria Mary
For a Boy: Philip Charles David

I'll probably change my mind a dozen times. We all probably will.

As I said I would probably change my mind often.
I have already changed my mind about the girl's name.
This child will not be an immediate heir unless the unthinkable should happen, so there is no need to give her such powerful names.

So: Charlotte Elizabeth Rose

ana

My personal guesses are Alice Frances Elizabeth and Arthur Francis David.

I wish for some different boys names as the BRF seems to be stuck in a groove of William, Henry and George. I like Alexander but it's already been used as George's middle name. What about David for the Welsh connection or Robert Bruce for the Scots, if they haven't become independent!

There's more of a range for girls. I don't think they'll call a daughter Diana. I think Elizabeth might come up among the names, perhaps Victoria, Alice or Helen. Frances, the name of William's grandmother could be a middle name.

if a girl I think Elizabeth; with a defined nickname (i.e. Betsy, Libby, Lizzie, Beth etc -similar to when Harry was born).

I don't think anyone other than someone in the direct succession line would name a girl Elizabeth... it has been used as many middle names, but no one has actually had a princess Elizabeth. in addition to HM it is also Catherine's middle name AND her mother's middle name Carole Elizabeth.

I think for the 2nd child they will limit the names to 3 or even 2. I am going with :

Elizabeth Frances
otherwise very traditional : Mary, Victoria or Charlotte

I don't think John will ever come up as a first name for the British royals. Because of the connotations of bad King John they've kept away from the name for heirs.

Also it's had its sad links over the years--George V and Queen Mary's youngest son was ill and died young. Edward and Alexandra's youngest son had John as one of his first names and died soon after birth. If the family feel there is any bad luck involved then they won't use it.

I would think that the only name that William has dibs on is Elizabeth. Peter could have used it as a first name for Isla especially since she was born in the diamond jubilee year but its only a middle name for her.

It seems that the royals tend not to use a name if its already in use by someone in the family . Like Harry isn't going to name his son George. The only exceptions are probably Philip and Elizabeth since they won't be a great overlap in lifespans

QEQM certainly did not shy away frmo naming the then Princess Elizabeth, even knowing that down the road 2 Queen Elizabeths at one time would be confusing

Boy : Prince Albert or maybe Prince Richard

Girl : Princess Elizabeth or maybe Princess Mary

Princess Victoria of Hesse was Prince Philip's grandmother and Princess Alice of Battenberg was his mother, which is another reason I have a hunch a girl might be Victoria or Alice. It would be a way to please the very elderly Prince Philip without being too obvious about it. I also would bet that Elizabeth will be a middle name and not a first.

Victoria Alice Elizabeth?

I also took a look at the Online Gotha and Arthur is a name that Charles and William and Queen Elizabeth's father King George all had as a middle name. I thought Frederick might be an obvious choice, but I forgot about Prince William's cousin Freddie, whom he probably grew up with. Would he want his son to have a name in common with a childhood playmate? Arthur would be quite a nice name for a brother of George.

Last edited:
Perhaps its worth considering Diana's maiden name because Spencer is a boy's name too.

Do we know any names Charles and Diana had picked out for a girl? There may be a clue there.

I mostly want a girl because I think it would make the Prince of Wales so happy

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Possible names for the 2nd child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

QEQM certainly did not shy away frmo naming the then Princess Elizabeth, even knowing that down the road 2 Queen Elizabeths at one time would be confusing

They didn't known that either one would be Queen when Elizabeth was born. HM The Queen is always the reigning monarch or consort versus HM Queen Name is a dowager when being addressed.

Plus if Margaret would have been a boy, he would have bumped Elizabeth down a spot.

Last edited:

When the then Princess Elizabeth was born, the Duchess of York did not know she (or her daughter) would one day be Queen. King Edward VIII did not abdicate until the current Queen was 10 years old.

I don't think John will ever come up as a first name for the British royals. Because of the connotations of bad King John they've kept away from the name for heirs.

Also it's had its sad links over the years--George V and Queen Mary's youngest son was ill and died young. Edward and Alexandra's youngest son had John as one of his first names and died soon after birth. If the family feel there is any bad luck involved then they won't use it.

I've read this before. I would think "Charles" would have more negative connotations within the British Royal Family than would "John."

While Charles I lost his head, Charles II was restored to the throne. William is not going to consider his father's name as bad.

Do we know any names Charles and Diana had picked out for a girl? There may be a clue there.

I once read - don't remember where - that they would have named their daughter Eleanor.

I read something a few years back that William liked the name Alice. I have a hunch that if it is a girl, Alice will be a name used. I don't think that there will be another Princess Diana anytime soon.

As for a boy, since Andrew and Harry have Albert in there, I will bet that Albert is used. William and Kate seem traditional, so I don't think that they will buck the tradition started by Granny and continued by Mum!

When the current Queen was born she was the first child of the second son.

A number of scenarios would have been expected to play out to take her out of that position.

1. the eldest son married and had any child - didn't happen but was still expected to happen in 1926

2. her parents would have another child - possibly a boy - in which case she goes down again

Imagine if Andrew had married before Charles and had Beatrice - who would expect her to be Queen - no one and she is in the same position - the elder child of the second son although she was born after the first son had had children and so was never as high in the line of succession as Elizabeth was.

However, in 1926, no one expected the present Queen to become Queen (surmised that it was possible of course but it wasn't expected).

As a result naming her after her mother wasn't an issue as the expectation was that one would remain HRH The Duchess of York while Elizabeth would spend her life as HRH Princess Elizabeth of York, until marriage and then be HRH Princess Elizabeth, Mrs xxxx/husband's title.

If the baby is a girl Elizabeth or Diana.

If the baby is a boy Michael or David

For a Princess: Henrietta Dorothea Elizabeth
Henrietta has not been used since Princess Henrietta Anne, the daughter of Charles I and Henrietta Maria.

For a Prince: Richard John Philip

For a Prince: John

Catherine's great-great-grandfather was named John Harrison.
Catherine's great-great-great-great-grandfather was named John Goldsmith.
Catherine's great-great-great-grandfather was named John Goldsmith.
William's grandfather was named Edward John "Johnnie" Spencer.

For a Prince: Edwin Arthur Michael
Edwin was King of Northumbria.
He reigned 616 to 632 (633).

For a Princess: Philippa Mary Anne
Philippa of Hainault was the Queen Consort of King Edward III.

For a Prince: Geoffrey Ronald Charles
Geoffrey, Count of Anjou, was the husband of Empress Matilda. They were the parents of King Henry II.
Ronald Goldsmith is Catherine's maternal grandfather.

For a Princess: Elizabeth Valerie Victoria
Valerie Glassborrow Middleton is Catherine's paternal grandmother.

For a Princess: Sophia Alice Carole
Sophia, Electress of Hanover was the mother of George I.

For a Prince: Robert Duncan Malcolm
Robert, Duncan, and Malcolm are the names of Kings of Scotland.

For a Prince: Frederick Edward Thomas

For a Princess: Cecily Frederica Elizabeth
Cecily, Duchess of York was the mother of King Edward IV.

For a Prince: Michael Claude Arthur
Claude is the first name of Claude George Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, the maternal grandfather of Queen Elizabeth II.

For a Princess: Claudia Ruth Diana
Claudia is a feminine equivalent of Claude, the first name of the 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne.
Ruth is the first name of Ruth Roche, Baroness Fermoy, the maternal grandmother of Diana, Princess of Wales.

For a Prince: Ian Charles Cedric
Cedric was King of Wessex.
He reigned from 519 to 534.

For a Princess: Mary Victoria Joan
Joan, the Fair Maid of Kent, was the wife of Prince Edward, the Black Prince, the eldest son of Edward III.

For a Princess: Valerie

Valerie would be in honor of Catherine's paternal grandmother, Valerie Glassborow Middleton.

For a Prince: Richard

Richard of Conisburgh, 3rd Earl of Cambridge, was the second son of Edmund of Langley, 1st Duke of York.

For a Prince: Lionel
Lionel, Duke of Clarence was the son of King Edward III and Queen Philippa.

For a Princess: Constance
Constance Robison Glassborrow is a great-grandmother of Catherine.

For a Princess: Adeliza

Queen Adeliza was the second wife of King Henry I.

For a Princess: Esther
Esther Jones Goldsmith is a great-great-great-grandmother of Catherine.

For a Prince: Athelstan
Athelstan was King of England. He ruled from 924 to 939.

Last edited by a moderator:

I heard they were going to pick Elizabeth

I once read - don't remember where - that they would have named their daughter Eleanor.

I heard Alexandra - which is why I think they will go with that one this time

I read something a few years back that William liked the name Alice. I have a hunch that if it is a girl, Alice will be a name used. I don't think that there will be another Princess Diana anytime soon.

As for a boy, since Andrew and Harry have Albert in there, I will bet that Albert is used. William and Kate seem traditional, so I don't think that they will buck the tradition started by Granny and continued by Mum!

I heard Alice too, along with Rose and Mary. Alice Rose - that's really lovely

But it was Diana who really loved Eleanor, wasn't it? Because IIRC, I've heard that Charles had "saved" Victoria as a first name in case he had a daughter. So I reckon Charles favoured Victoria for a daughter and Diana Eleanor.

But it was Diana who really loved Eleanor, wasn't it? Because IIRC, I've heard that Charles had "saved" Victoria as a first name in case he had a daughter. So I reckon Charles favoured Victoria for a daughter and Diana Eleanor.

Okay, I was wrong on Charles and Diana - I DID hear Victoria, not Elizabeth. Although I do have to go with Diana on this one, Eleanor at the time was different. It's still a lovely name, but it seems to be the new IT name for princesses.

For a prince : HRH Prince Alfred John Francis of Cambridge

For a princess : HRH Princess Alicia Rose Frances of Cambridge

These names - Alfred and Alicia(Alice) are my favorite british royal names :ROFLMAO:

Going back further:

Prince Albert was himself a second son
Prince Alfred had Albert in his names
Prince George (George V) also had Albert in his names
and then there is George V's own second son - Prince Albert (who became George VI)

That makes 6 out of the last 7 generations having Albert as one of the names of the second son and the only reason the 7th didn't was that there were two girls.

I am of course only looking at the second son of monarchs and not at other children who may have Albert in their names as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom