The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 11:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't remember either, but as names of two of Queen Victoria's daughters, I would be surprised if they would seem "unexpected".

I personally like Sophia because it is the name of the founder of the Queen's dynasty (Sophia of Hanover), even though that dynasty technically was extinguished in male line when Queen Victoria passed away. In fact, Sophia Victoria Mary would be a nice name for me. I think the Cambridges will go with Alice though.
Unexpected in the sense of the fact that they probably weren't names a lot of people had money on, if you know what I mean. Once the names were announced, I doubt there was shock throughout the land, lol. So when I say I think William might possibly go with something traditional but less well-known, I mean I think they could possibly go with a traditional royal name that isn't in the grouping of names that currently seem to be the most oft-mentioned favorites at the moment.

Personally, I think I'll be happy with any name they choose. I love the traditional BRF female names generally, and find myself unable to pick a favorite (though I'm rather partial to Elizabeth for personal reasons, but that aside, I rank them all about equally). For me, that's one of the most exciting things about the fact that they've had a baby girl this time: lots more names to choose from, and all names that I like.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestocking View Post
"Old lady names" are fashionable now. Alice is definitely back in fashion in both the UK and in the United States. I think it's a very likely first name because it's Prince Philip's mother's name and it hasn't been used as a first name for a child in a couple of generations. If the Queen has any say in the name, Alice is bound to be a favorite.

If they wanted to use a name that's a little less expected but still a legitimate royal name, they could go back several generations. Amelia and Sophia were both names of royal princesses and are also extremely fashionable names in Britain right now. There's also Dorothea and Augusta, though I wouldn't consider those realistic possibilities!
This is true .Old fashioned names have been back in for a while now. Lately I have even heard names I really thought would never return.Jennifer Connelly named her daughter Agnes (I think I have heard it given to a least one or two other babies. Edith is another one I thought was out but Cate Blanchette named her daughter Edith.

Alice doesn't sound as old fashioned as it did when I was growing up.

I also thought about Eliza it would be close to Elizabeth that could be a plus or a minus.I could see Elizabeth more as a second or third name but I won't be shocked if they don't use. Three of the Queen's granddaugher's already have Elizabeth as one of their names.

Other ideas (some I already listed)
Rose
Henrietta or Harriet (like Prince Harry)
Elinor
Joan
Augusta
Matilda
Christina
Rebecca

Old 05-03-2015, 12:02 AM
Aristocracy

I still think May Belle is nice and respectful combo of names.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:22 AM
Nobility

If I was them no Diana cause it will add unwanted attention. You can honour her with Charlotte which was what supposedly Diana said she would have named her daughter if she had one. It is also the feminine of Charles and Pippa's middle name. You can honour Diana too with Frances as a middle name. Also add Elizabeth since Wills's grandmas are Elizabeth and Frances and Kate's parents middle names are Elizabeth and Francis. That is how I would play it - Charlotte Frances Elizabeth.

But with George Alexander Louis they just used acceptable names they liked so it could be something popular like their cousins choices Mia or Isla but traditional like Amelia, Annabel, Emma, Eleanor, Matilda, Victoria or Isabel. However the betting choices - Charlotte and Alice are both popular names too.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't remember either, but as names of two of Queen Victoria's daughters, I would be surprised if they would seem "unexpected".

I personally like Sophia because it is the name of the founder of the Queen's dynasty (Sophia of Hanover), even though the UK branch of the dynasty was technically extinguished in male line when Queen Victoria passed away. In fact, Sophia Victoria Mary would be a nice name for me. I think the Cambridges will go with Alice though.

Beatrice was the name of one of Victoria's daughters, but it hadn't been used in Britain before and Princess Beatrice is the only British Royal to use it since.

Eugenie wasn't used by a British Royal before Princess Eugenie.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:58 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Unexpected in the sense of the fact that they probably weren't names a lot of people had money on, if you know what I mean. Once the names were announced, I doubt there was shock throughout the land, lol. So when I say I think William might possibly go with something traditional but less well-known, I mean I think they could possibly go with a traditional royal name that isn't in the grouping of names that currently seem to be the most oft-mentioned favorites at the moment.

Personally, I think I'll be happy with any name they choose. I love the traditional BRF female names generally, and find myself unable to pick a favorite (though I'm rather partial to Elizabeth for personal reasons, but that aside, I rank them all about equally). For me, that's one of the most exciting things about the fact that they've had a baby girl this time: lots more names to choose from, and all names that I like.
I remember both Princesses being born and they were highly unusual names for the time and totally unexpected. There was a lot of media around Sarah and Andrews name choices.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post

Eugenie wasn't used by a British Royal before Princess Eugenie.
What about Victoria Eugenie Julia Ena? She was a grandaughter of queen Victoria, her daughter Beatrice's daughter.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:12 AM
Courtier

Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

My mom thinks it will be Victoria Elizabeth Diana. She also bet me 5 dollars for a Monday the 4th birth, but she lost. My dad wants Charlotte, the female form of Charles (also Pippa's middle name).

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community
Old 05-03-2015, 01:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am assuming that when I arise tomorrow morning there will be news of the names chosen. I look forward to discovering if we will indeed have a lovely Princess Anise.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

I certainly hope Diana will be one of the new Princess' name. It is her paternal grandmother that she will never have a chance to meet and someone who means a lot to her daddy. She is Diana's grand daughter (and may be the only one) and I am sure as she gets older she will be very proud to carry the name.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:37 AM
Courtier

Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

There was a baby girl born around 1:00 AM UK time yesterday, the 2nd; whose sister was born on the same day as George, and this new baby girl's name is Aurelia. I told my mom and dad this, then added "Different spelling than the town" (city, really; with a population of roughly 30,000) in Ontario, Canada, about an hour and 45 minutes north of where we live in Hamilton. Regardless of the almost identical pronunciation but different spelling of a city not TOO far away, I still love the name; it means golden, and really fits a princess!

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community
Old 05-03-2015, 01:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post
What about Victoria Eugenie Julia Ena? She was a grandaughter of queen Victoria, her daughter Beatrice's daughter.

Victoria Eugenie (who is Eugenie's namesake) wasn't a British Royal. She was born a German Royal and became a Spanish one, but she wasn't a British one.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenbeee View Post
I remember both Princesses being born and they were highly unusual names for the time and totally unexpected. There was a lot of media around Sarah and Andrews name choices.
Thanks for clearing that up! Though I don't remember the births of the York girls, I do recall reading things at a later date that mentioned that there was a lot of attention paid to the girls' names. For me, they just stick out in my mind as a good example of using names that already exist in the family but are rare. William and Kate certainly have lots of names they could choose for their daughter (though I'm still guessing they'll go with one of the more obvious ones). I'm excited to see what they choose, since I think we all pretty much knew that George was going to be called George, and it's a bit more up in the air this time.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Victoria Eugenie (who is Eugenie's namesake) wasn't a British Royal. She was born a German Royal and became a Spanish one, but she wasn't a British one.
Ok, I see what you are saying. Her father did become a naturalized British citizen right before his marriage though and her style was granted by Victoria rather than coming from her father. I did think we were speaking of all of Victoria's children and grandchildren.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:37 AM

I really hope they will use Diana somewhere in the name. Charlotte Elizabeth Victoria Diana, that's my guess. I just wish they would hurry up and announce it.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:44 AM
Majesty

I've read numerous times that Charles and Diana planned to name any daughter "Victoria" or "Elizabeth"...that they had called dibs on it. Which was one of the reasons Andrew and Sarah did not use those names for their girls.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I've read numerous times that Charles and Diana planned to name any daughter "Victoria" or "Elizabeth"...that they had called dibs on it. Which was one of the reasons Andrew and Sarah did not use those names for their girls.

It's been said numerous times, but there's no way to confirm that and no one is on record saying it's true...

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 05-03-2015, 03:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Ok, I see what you are saying. Her father did become a naturalized British citizen right before his marriage though and her style was granted by Victoria rather than coming from her father. I did think we were speaking of all of Victoria's children and grandchildren.

Mbruno claimed that both the Yorks were named for Queen Victoria's daughters, which I pointed out is inaccurate - Beatrice was named for one of Victoria's daughters, Eugenie for her granddaughter.

Victoria Eugenie was not a British Royal despite being both a British citizen and a Royal; she was by birth Her Highness Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg because of her father. She then became Her Majesty The Queen of Spain by her marriage. For a period of about 2 months she was Her Royal Highness Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg because of the will of her uncle, Edward VII, but that doesn't actually make her a British Royal. This was just a style change made to enable her to marry Alfonso XIII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

By the time Beatrice and Eugenie were born Charles' marriage was privately in shambles. It seems unlikely that Andrew and Sarah would have been told they couldn't use either name on the off chance that Charles might have another legitimate child.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Victoria Eugenie was not a British Royal despite being both a British citizen and a Royal; she was by birth Her Highness Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg because of her father. She then became Her Majesty The Queen of Spain by her marriage. For a period of about 2 months she was Her Royal Highness Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg because of the will of her uncle, Edward VII, but that doesn't actually make her a British Royal. This was just a style change made to enable her to marry Alfonso XIII.
Beatrice married a Battenberg whose parents' marriage was morgantic thus he was not a Hesse or HRH and Battenberg which was HSH was thus created for them. Victoria raised Beatrice's children to HRH so that Victoria Eugenie could be equal enough to marry her Spanish Prince cause HSH of Battenberg as not good enough. So while not a princess of Britain, her royalness comes from there and her title would have been comparable to being called HRH Princess Eugenie of York via Britain. I am going with Ming as counting her as the inspiration for Eugenie and as a member of the British royal family otherwise she could never have married.

Quote:
By the time Beatrice and Eugenie were born Charles' marriage was privately in shambles. It seems unlikely that Andrew and Sarah would have been told they couldn't use either name on the off chance that Charles might have another legitimate child.
I'd also heard that Diana wanted Charlotte if she'd had a girl; and that the name that Sarah wanted that got shot down for Beatrice was Annabel from Annabella which is a Scottish royal name. Beatrice was the suggestion of the Queen and thus she was named Beatrice instead.

The Royal Infant Acquires A Name: Princess Beatrice Duke And Duchess Searched Two Weeks For 3 Appellatives Of Relatives. - philly-archives
Old 05-03-2015, 04:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabellaStuart View Post
I really hope they will use Diana somewhere in the name. Charlotte Elizabeth Victoria Diana, that's my guess. I just wish they would hurry up and announce it.
No no no.

I would rather Catherine, who is the one who actually carried the child for nine months, honor her mother.

All the people who want the baby to carry the name of Diana, always state it is Diana's grandchild. They never say it is Catherine's child or William's child. They link Diana directly to the child.

It is never Carole's grandchild or Mike grandchild or even Charles' grandchild.

Why claim you are honoring someone by not using their real name?

If they wanted to honor Charles they would have used Charles in George's name. If they want to honor Catherine's mother Carole they will use Carole.

Elizabeth is a name that is used in both the Middleton family and the Royal family and it is not unique so it does not honor a specific person or a family.

Diana and Frances are only Spencer names.

Princess Carole Davina Elizabeth. (Davina honors Diana.)

Closed Thread