The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Courtier

Princess Charlotte Rose from me.

Charlotte as the female form of grandfather Charles' name.

Rose for the Queen's sister.

And because I think Her Majesty was sending a big hint to the Duke and Duchess on the day of the baby's birth.

Buckinham Palace have said the shade of pink the Queen was wearing is "Rose".

And I would like a really feminine name for the first princess in decades.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:25 PM
Gentry

two day I believe it was after the birth of George

Old 05-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Nobility

Charlotte and Caroline are too obviously tied to both Charles, Pippa (middle name is Charlotte) and Carole. Since they avoided any obvious ties to specific family members with George, I think it's safe to rule out Charlotte or Caroline. Same with Diana, Philippa, Frances, and Catherine. I rule out Alexandra only because it's the feminine version of Alexander and that was used in George's name.

The only exception MIGHT be for Elizabeth but I would be a little surprised if it was the baby's first name.

The more I think about it the more confident I am that it will be Victoria Alice Elizabeth.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystiblue View Post
I agree - too much baggage attached with Diana. And she may surprise us all with something left field such as "Mikaela or Michaela" after her father Michael.
Unfortunately, going by the snide comments over at the DM I'd say "Carol" would have more baggage with it than "Diana". But in both cases it's ridiculous - naming a baby after their grandparents is very common. Whatever they name her Carol and Diana are still her grandmothers. Just like Michael and Charles are still her grandfathers.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjan View Post
two day I believe it was after the birth of George
Yes but they stayed the nigh tin the hospital the first time.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I would love it if they'd honor the PoW by calling her "Charlotte" but I've heard that the BRF considers Charlotte an unlucky name.
I didn't know that.

But others here say that doesn't matter because 'Charles' was the same and yet the Queen used it, so there is hope.

Quote:
Maybe "Caroline"? That way both Charles and Carole Middleton could be honored?
Because the child is in line of succession I look at names that could be regnal and dignified. Queen Caroline would work.

Quote:
Otherwise, Elizabeth Alexandra or Alexandra Elizabeth would be perfect, imo.
Queen Alexandra would definitely work, as would the combination Queen Alexandra Elizabeth. A nice touch using the Queen's name as a second name, but I'd be averse to using the name again as a first name, though they just might do that, and use a middle name to call her in the family, like Mary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
I really hope it will be Charlotte or Alice !
I'm with you on this. I think Queen Charlotte is very regal sounding, and a Princess Charlotte is just plain lovely.

Alice is nice as Princess Alice, but not as Queen imo.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

The Queen's name is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary.

Princess Charlotte of Wales daughter of George IV died in childbirth but a lot of Royal names have something bad happened to a name holder. George Duke of Kent died in a plane crash in WWII , Prince William of Gloucester died in a plane crash too but those names were reused in the family

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The Queen's name is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary.

Princess Charlotte of Wales daughter of George IV died in childbirth but a lot of Royal names have something bad happened to a name holder. George Duke of Kent died in a plane crash in WWII , Prince William of Gloucester died in a plane crash too but those names were reused in the family.
That's really interesting. I like it. A reverse name: Mary Alexandra Elizabeth, which gives us a Princess Mary (born in May and a very sweet name) and Queen Mary Alexandra (in the unlikely event she were to be Queen).
Old 05-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Heir Apparent

It would be Queen Mary III if she somehow came to the throne and used her first name. There only have been 4 reigning Queen names- Mary, Elizabeth, Anne & Victoria.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It would be Queen Mary III if she somehow came to the throne and used her first name. There only have been 4 reigning Queen names- Mary, Elizabeth, Anne & Victoria.

Jane Gray.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
Jane Gray.

Jane Grey isn't always considered to be an actual Queen - neither is Empress Matilda or Margaret of Norway.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Jane Grey isn't always considered to be an actual Queen - neither is Empress Matilda or Margaret of Norway.
I know, but if they stuck you on the throne for nine days at a young age then behead you I think you should at least get to be counted as being a queen. Plus I liked the movie about her with Helena Bonham Carter. And Jane is a nice name so I woudn't mind Jane.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
Jane Gray.
The validity of her reign is disputed, the same goes for Empress Matilda.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystiblue View Post
I agree - too much baggage attached with Diana. And she may surprise us all with something left field such as "Mikaela or Michaela" after her father Michael.
I don't see William and Kate as the types to really bring us anything out of left field in terms of names. (After all, George's name contained no surprises, except perhaps the fact that they only gave him three names instead of four.) I expect they'll use a traditional royal name, and most likely one of those that has already been frequently mentioned (Charlotte, Victoria, Elizabeth, Alice, Alexandra, etc.). I think the most they might venture out of that general territory would be to go with some slightly less well-known traditional royal names, like Andrew and Sarah did with Beatrice and Eugenie.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Courtier

No matter what at the end of the day I hope people are not disappointed or mad at what ever William and Catherine chooses. hopefully people will respect their decision. I know everyone on here will but i general.

The only thing I really worry about is if they don't give her Diana as one it names.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
The validity of her reign is disputed, the same goes for Empress Matilda.
I think I'll stick with Alexandria as my preference.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessCaroline View Post
I loved this name! Any british royal named Lavinia on the past? (sorry for my ignorance, I'm not very good with names)
I don't think so but Diana's sister, Lady Sarah, has Lavinia as one of her middle names.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I don't see William and Kate as the types to really bring us anything out of left field in terms of names. (After all, George's name contained no surprises, except perhaps the fact that they only gave him three names instead of four.) I expect they'll use a traditional royal name, and most likely one of those that has already been frequently mentioned (Charlotte, Victoria, Elizabeth, Alice, Alexandra, etc.). I think the most they might venture out of that general territory would be to go with some slightly less well-known traditional royal names, like Andrew and Sarah did with Beatrice and Eugenie.
Beatrice and Eugenie are well-known traditional royal names.

If they are looking for something different, they could try Frederica or maybe Sophia.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Beatrice and Eugenie are well-known traditional royal names.

If they are looking for something different, they could try Frederica or maybe Sophia.
I mean well-known in the sense of being names that were used by queens and that are more widely known (e.g. Elizabeth, Victoria, Alexandra, etc.). I'm a bit young to remember, but I think names like Beatrice and particularly Eugenie might have seemed quite unexpected to a lot of people when Andrew and Sarah chose them.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I mean well-known in the sense of being names that were used by queens and that are more widely known (e.g. Elizabeth, Victoria, Alexandra, etc.). I'm a bit young to remember, but I think names like Beatrice and particularly Eugenie might have seemed quite unexpected to a lot of people when Andrew and Sarah chose them.

I don't remember either, but as names of two of Queen Victoria's daughters, I would be surprised if they would seem "unexpected".

I personally like Sophia because it is the name of the founder of the Queen's dynasty (Sophia of Hanover), even though the UK branch of the dynasty was technically extinguished in male line when Queen Victoria passed away. In fact, Sophia Victoria Mary would be a nice name for me. I think the Cambridges will go with Alice though.

Closed Thread