The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Nobility

I agree about them not using the name Diana .I think will be more for Harry to use when he has a daughter.For a first or second name.

I will go with Alice for a girl(I'm leaning toward a girl)

For a boy I don't know there seems to be a more limited choice.David maybe.

Alice Elizabeth Catherine or Alice Elizabeth Rose

David Charles Phillip

Old 09-10-2014, 05:29 AM
Heir Apparent

When the present Queen was born the Duchess of York (later the Queen Mother) had a favourite girl's name picked out. She and the Duke submitted the name Anne to the King (George V) the baby's grandfather. For reasons known only to himself King George knocked the name Anne back.

The Duchess was rather upset. She wrote to a friend "Anne of York is so pretty!" So Elizabeth was a second choice for the parents. The present Queen must have been told this story and probably thought of it when her first daughter was born.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
I agree about them not using the name Diana .I think will be more for Harry to use when he has a daughter.For a first or second name.

I will go with Alice for a girl(I'm leaning toward a girl)

For a boy I don't know there seems to be a more limited choice.David maybe.

Alice Elizabeth Catherine or Alice Elizabeth Rose

David Charles Phillip
Wasn't David the nickname of Edward VIII? I doubt that they would want to name a child after him.

I like Alice Elizabeth Rose.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
When the present Queen was born the Duchess of York (later the Queen Mother) had a favourite girl's name picked out. She and the Duke submitted the name Anne to the King (George V) the baby's grandfather. For reasons known only to himself King George knocked the name Anne back.

The Duchess was rather upset. She wrote to a friend "Anne of York is so pretty!" So Elizabeth was a second choice for the parents. The present Queen must have been told this story and probably thought of it when her first daughter was born.
I thought the story was that Princess Margaret was supposed to be names Anne Margaret because they thought Elizabeth and Anne of York were a great pair of names for royal sisters until George V vetoed at which point Anne Margaret became Margaret Rose.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:49 AM
Aristocracy

Princess= Victoria Elizabeth Catherine.
Prince= Albert Phillip Charles
Old 09-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Aristocracy

Names I hope for

Girl:

Charlotte Diana Mary
Victoria Eugenie Sophia/e
Alexandra Elizabeth Rose
Sophia Anne Margaret
Amelia Catherine Louise
Helen/a Caroline Victoria
Sarah Anne Charlotte

Boy:

David Charles Edward
Philip Henry James
Albert Michael Louis
Richard Andrew Peter
Stephen Philip David
Patrick Michael Philip

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Wasn't David the nickname of Edward VIII? I doubt that they would want to name a child after him.

I knew I would trip up on on something! I'm sure you are right about David. Now I really hope it's a girl. I can't think of any royal names for a male that are not in use that I'm all that fond of.

I like the idea of Alice it might seem less grand than some of the others but it's a nice name and not too long. A family name as well.

I'm glad they went with three names before I doubt they would change that. I prefer that over four.I think it's easier to find three name that fit together and sound right.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I suppose they could always go for Victor or Arthur. Princess Beatrice had a son, Maurice, but realistically something like Frederick, that hasn't been used in the main line of the British royals for some time may well be used.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Possible names for the 2nd child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

With George, they may have went just with 3 due to Alexander being a longer name. If you sound it out George Alexander Louis is almost as long as William Arthur Philip Louis.

Viscount Linley is David and Harry is Henry Charles Albert David. So it has been used post 1936 and the abdication.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Indeed – and David was the name of the Queen Mum's beloved brother. I think they have let go of the Duke of Windsor reference in favour of more pleasant recollections of other Davids by now.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post

Why not? Princess Margaret chose to name her son David, and the Queen chose to name her youngest Edward - ensuring that both of the names that Edward VIII was best known by lived on in the family. Harry also has David in his name.

It's the name of the patron saint of Wales and comes up repeatedly in Welsh and Scottish Royal history.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really like the name David, but perhaps for #3 - I just have a strong feeling this one's a girl.

I love most traditional names for girls, Charlotte, Alice, Eleanor, Adelaide, Mary, etc, etc. I doubt I will be disappointed.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I really like the name David, but perhaps for #3 - I just have a strong feeling this one's a girl.

I love most traditional names for girls, Charlotte, Alice, Eleanor, Adelaide, Mary, etc, etc. I doubt I will be disappointed.

Agreed on all. Alice and Adelaide are my two top choices, and I really do think this one will be a girl.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Commoner

I was a big fan of Alice during the first pregnancy and wanted a future queen. I loved the idea of Queen Alice I. Still do. They may go for Alexandra, HM middle name. I'd love them to have a Welsh name in there regardless of gender.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:47 AM
Nobility

I never get these guessing games right but here's my guesses (also would love it to be a girl but think it will likely be another little boy)
Boys: Frederick, Philip, Thomas, Albert, Arthur, David and as an way out choice Oliver
Girls: Mary, Victoria, Sophia, Caroline, Emily (I know - not traditional names but I still love Charlotte - not sure about Alexandra as George has Alexander as one of his middle names)
Old 09-11-2014, 07:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyS View Post
as an way out choice Oliver
After Oliver Cromwell? Hahahaha...
Old 09-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyS View Post
I never get these guessing games right but here's my guesses (also would love it to be a girl but think it will likely be another little boy)
Boys: Frederick, Philip, Thomas, Albert, Arthur, David and as an way out choice Oliver
Girls: Mary, Victoria, Sophia, Caroline, Emily (I know - not traditional names but I still love Charlotte - not sure about Alexandra as George has Alexander as one of his middle names)
If they love Alexandra, and it was reported last time that they did, having it as George's second name won't stop them, esp. as it honors the Queen.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:54 AM
Aristocracy

I really hope its a boy and Prince Albert of Cambridge fits the bill me. For a girl I like Princess Elizabeth of Cambridge.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Heir Apparent

The of Cambridge tag will change as William becomes the heir apparent. First to of Cornwall and then to of Wales then it will drop off when William is King.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Majesty

What title will this baby receive?