The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
The story of Cecile and her family is well known to me. It's extremely tragic. BUT I stand by my theory that her Nazi connections make it an unlikely choice of names for the new arrival.
You could be right but the Queen named her youngest son Edward, despite the connection to her uncle--who was also a Nazi sympathizer. I realize that the family referred to him as "David" but still....

Old 05-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonelikeyou View Post
I hope they don't use Diana's name. If they do honor her, I hope it's with "Francis" not "Diana." Too much baggage with the name Diana.
I don't see why - she was his mother. The only person who could associate baggage with the name would be Camilla or Charles. I find it hard to believe they would - they're together now and she's gone so why would they care? It would be pretty petty of them. Camilla has grandchildren of her own. In any case they will probably come up with a name that none of us have thought of and it won't be any of the names we're coming up with. Did anyone come up with the name George under his naming threads on this site? Now I'm tempted to go back and look.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Commoner

I think a lot of people guessed George -- it was pretty much the only name that belonged to a previous king, wasn't in use in the family already, and wasn't considered unlucky.

I'm not sure how many people guessed "Alexander" or "Louis" as middle names, though. At least some, I would imagine. They're pretty traditional names.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophronisba View Post
I think a lot of people guessed George -- it was pretty much the only name that belonged to a previous king, wasn't in use in the family already, and wasn't considered unlucky.

I'm not sure how many people guessed "Alexander" or "Louis" as middle names, though. At least some, I would imagine. They're pretty traditional names.
George III didn't have very good luck. I'd think you'd have to work pretty hard to find the name of a former king that didn't have bad luck associated with it in some way or another - that's the downside of being a king.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
You could be right but the Queen named her youngest son Edward, despite the connection to her uncle--who was also a Nazi sympathizer. I realize that the family referred to him as "David" but still....
That was a completely different situation. The name "Edward" was and is an ancient prestigious Royal moniker with honorable associations that far outweighed any damage done by QEII's feckless uncle. In naming her son Edward she was honoring the name that has been held by British kings since the Middle Ages.

The name "Cecilia" does not have quite the same cachet in British Royal history.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Aristocracy

I'm starting to think it might be Elizabeth as a firstname even though I have a small wager on Alice and Diana. There won't be many more opportunities really to have a Princess Elizabeth in the Queen's lifetime.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
I'm starting to think it might be Elizabeth as a firstname.
I like Elizabeth.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I don't see why - she was his mother. The only person who could associate baggage with the name would be Camilla or Charles. I find it hard to believe they would - they're together now and she's gone so why would they care? It would be pretty petty of them. Camilla has grandchildren of her own. In any case they will probably come up with a name that none of us have thought of and it won't be any of the names we're coming up with. Did anyone come up with the name George under his naming threads on this site? Now I'm tempted to go back and look.

Almost everyone mentioned George :) It was one of the only likely options.

The names everyone here is mentioning are also likely because of tradition and royal history. There are more options for the little princess than there were for George... But she won't be a little Mackenzie or Zola. She'll have a name that's been used by the royal family at some point in their history.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 05-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Royal Highness

Maybe Elizabeth Diana Carole.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Almost everyone mentioned George :) It was one of the only likely options.

The names everyone here is mentioning are also likely because of tradition and royal history. There are more options for the little princess than there were for George... But she won't be a little Mackenzie or Zola. She'll have a name that's been used by the royal family at some point in their history.

I like the name Zara and the first place I'd heard of it was on Princess Anne's daughter. It's not an especially common name. Though I agree they'll probably stick with more traditional names. I'm still rooting for Alexandria.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Serene Highness

Well I got my wish for a baby girl so I'm hoping for another wish to be realized .... hoping for Charlotte, after that it doesn't make any difference to me.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I like the name Zara and the first place I'd heard of it was on Princess Anne's daughter. It's not an especially common name. Though I agree they'll probably stick with more traditional names. I'm still rooting for Alexandria.

Right, but Zara holds no titles and therefore Anne had a little more freedom to try new things.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
That was a completely different situation. The name "Edward" was and is an ancient prestigious Royal moniker with honorable associations that far outweighed any damage done by QEII's feckless uncle. In naming her son Edward she was honoring the name that had been held by British kings since the Middle Ages.

The name "Cecilia" does not have quite the same cachet in British Royal history.

Cecilia has a little bit of family history- it was the name of the Queen Mum's mother

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Courtier

I still think Diana is a possible middle name.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Maybe Elizabeth Diana Carole.
Well, they wouldn't leave any of the female relatives out that way. They could give her a first name that was different and use those three as middle names.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Well, they wouldn't leave any of the female relatives out that way. They could give her a first name that was different and use those three as middle names.

George only had three names so I think it's unlikely they'll give the new princess four names

Old 05-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonelikeyou View Post
I hope they don't use Diana's name. If they do honor her, I hope it's with "Francis" not "Diana." Too much baggage with the name Diana.

Like everyone, I've been thinking Alice or Charlotte or Elizabeth are front runners... But now, I think they may surprise us. I can see them going with something totally not in play.

If they do go traditional, I like: Charlotte Mary Elisabeth.
I agree - too much baggage attached with Diana. And she may surprise us all with something left field such as "Mikaela or Michaela" after her father Michael.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
I agree it could be more of a burden than a tribute to have the name Diana anywhere in her name.

Don't see having the name Diana is any more a burden than she will have being a Princess. She will too fat too thin a bad dresser etc etc a name will be the lest burden

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Her Royal Highness Princess Victoria Elizabeth Diana of Cambridge.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Majesty

I love Elizabeth, Alexandra, and Victoria all equally!