The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
Maybe I'm alone in this but I doubt Diana will be one of the names. I think they will stick to family names without using first names of grandparents.
I've thought the same thing with both this birth and before George was born. I suspect the only person who is likely to have her own first name used as one of this new princess' name is Elizabeth and even that's likely to be a middle name rather than a first name, and also a very easy choice as it's been used on both the Windsor and Middleton sides of the family.

I like Charlotte but, again, it's perhaps too obvious - feminine form of Charles and Pippa's middle name.

Alice is an intriguing choice.

Victoria Alice Elizabeth? Victoria Elizabeth Charlotte?

Old 05-02-2015, 07:41 AM
Courtier

I will only reaffirm my previous guess:

HRH Princess Alice Elizabeth Charlotte of Cambridge.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Majesty

I 'll go with Charlotte Elizabeth Mary...
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Mbruno, that's exactely what I wanted to point out. Sorry for not making myself clear.

Baptised Alice
Used in public: Alison (a bit more modern touch)
Although Alison is derived from Alice as a nickname (which itself is derived from Adelaide), the names have developed as stand-alone names here. But anything is possible!
Old 05-02-2015, 07:42 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm still sticking to my guns with the name Mary. So much can be done with it and it will totally be the new princess' individual name.

Mary Alice
Mary Elizabeth (Mary Beth)
Mary Victoria
Old 05-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Aristocracy

I realize so many would like the new princess to be named Diana, but the burden would be overwhelming. She would be constantly compared and unless she is drop-dead gorgeous, would face media criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-02-2015, 07:46 AM
Commoner

I think it's nice to name children after loved ones who are gone -- all three of my children are named for family members who are deceased. (This is a very common American Jewish tradition -- virtually every kid in our Hebrew school is named for someone.) But I also think that the name "Diana" could be a burden as the child grows up, so I'm hoping to see Frances as a middle name.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

My main guess will remain Matilda Elizabeth Rose (as it has been since day one ).

Other possibilities: Elizabeth Rose Matilda, Isabella Charlotte Rose, Eleanor Elizabeth Matilda, Victoria Eleanor Elizabeth or Alice Elizabeth Matilda.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Baptised Alice
Used in public: Alison (a bit more modern touch)
Alison, modern?

There's an Alison in Chaucer's 'Canterbury Tales'! It's a very old name, but deeply unfashionable in the UK now.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:57 AM
Royal Highness

Alexandra Elizabeth Frances Carole

I hope Princess DIANA
Old 05-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Courtier

The name will probably be announced on Monday.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Aristocracy

Charlotte Catherine Alice, Alice Catherine Elizabeth... I'll wait and see.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
Alison, modern?

There's an Alison in Chaucer's 'Canterbury Tales'! It's a very old name, but deeply unfashionable in the UK now.
It is a very popular girl name in the US though.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee27 View Post
I realize so many would like the new princess to be named Diana, but the burden would be overwhelming. She would be constantly compared and unless she is drop-dead gorgeous, would face media criticism.

EXACTLY!!!! Personally, I don't think William OR Harry should name a child Diana. Let it be a name for one of THEIR grandchildren. That would be far enough removed to be a nice memorial, but not so heavy a burden.

Ana
Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm still sticking to my guns with the name Mary. So much can be done with it and it will totally be the new princess' individual name.

Mary Alice
Mary Elizabeth (Mary Beth)
Mary Victoria
Originally I liked the idea of a Princess Mary, too. But then on second thought I came to the conclusion that a George and a Mary might be too much of a reminder of George V and his wife.

Jacknch & Frideswide, Thanks for all the info. I never knew that Alison has such a long history all by itself. Still stick to it. We'll see...
Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Personally, I don't think William OR Harry should name a child Diana. Let it be a name for one of THEIR grandchildren.
I am afraid Diana will be far forgotten till that time and her name won't have any meaning for her grandchidren. I mean that Camilla maybe will have more right to call herself their grandmother.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellin View Post
I am afraid Diana will be far forgotten till that time and her name won't have any meaning for her grandchidren. I mean that Camilla maybe will have more right to call herself their grandmother.
Diana will always be their ancestor, and there are people who name their children after ancestors who died long ago.

But you're right, the children of William and Harry will certainly see Camilla as their grandmother. They'll have three grandmothers, with one being sadly dead.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Diana will always be their ancestor, and there are people who name their children after ancestors who died long ago.
Some ancestor and a close relative have different emotional meanings. I can respect my great-grandfather but i'd prefer to name my children in trubute to my parents or other familiar persons. Or if I just like that name very much then I can choose my ancestor's name.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:36 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee27 View Post
I agree it could be more of a burden than a tribute to have the name Diana anywhere in her name.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is a very popular girl name in the US though.
To be fair, so are Jennifer and Briana, but they're not exactly suitable for a British princess.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
Closed Thread