The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Let's not forget the reasoning behind Prince George's names - George for obvious reasons because one day he will be king and so it had to be something along those lines. Alexander Louis were chosen simply because they liked the names - well that's what I understood anyway.
So with that in mind and if William and Catherine stick with that name-choosing formula, the first name will be more traditional and the other names......well, anything goes I suppose! That hasn't helped has it!?
Louis is William's 4th name and was after Louis Mountbatten; Philip's uncle and Charles' Honorary Grandfather

Old 04-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Serene Highness

I haven't weighed in on the name guessing game because I am always wrong, but I thought what the heck got nothing to lose, plus I don't like Alice or Albert so maybe I can influence the Cambridge's,

For a girl I like:

Alexandra Rose Elizabeth
Charlotte Victoria Frances
Amelia Alexandra Alice
Sophia Victoria Frances
Isabella Elizabeth Rose
Adelaide Elizabeth Jane

For a boy I like:

Phillip Michael Charles
Gabriel Michael David
Michael David James
James Phillip Michael
Christian Phillip Edward
Jonathon Albert Charles

I know none of these will be picked but what the heck, I like them. I like more modern names then what I believe will be picked but I hope it will at least they will be a little original. I think European Royalty has enough Lenore, Eleanor, Leonor, Elenor or any variation of that right now

Old 04-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellin View Post
Sorry for offtop but i sometimes just don't understand this tradition to give heirs only used before names. The first Cambridge child could have had an unique name, he could have been The First. Prince Arthur or Albert... But they choose only from previouse reighing monarchs' names.
And we can predict that George's own children will have names Charles, Henry, Elizabeth/Catherine, Edward and so on. Even James is unlikely.
I don't think we should automatically think that George and his wife won't use a bit of imagination, though. Who knows, we might get a Rupert, Nicholas or Helena or Eleanor.

I think the re-using of names is just a royal habit, and I agree, it's one that it would be nice that they would break for the male children.

If you look at some other royal houses though, what about the Danes for centuries--Frederik, Christian, Frederik, Christian?. Margrethe has made a nice change!

Or the Prussian royal family with all the Friedrichs and Wilhelms. All those French Monarchs named Louis. The Romanovs tended to stay in the Alexandr, Nicholas repeat position in the last century or so of its existence, as well.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Wouldn't it be amazing if the Cambridges are keeping tabs on the name betting and just to throw 'em all off, they name a baby daughter Alicia?
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

Or the Prussian royal family with all the Friedrichs and Wilhelms. All those French Monarchs named Louis. The Romanovs tended to stay in the Alexandr, Nicholas repeat position in the last century or so of its existence, as well.
Oh, I agree but that was more than century ago, maybe it's time to bring in new names. Oh just use some not so common. What's wrong with Albert/David as a first name?
Alice/Alicia is a beautiful name but I secretly hope for Victoria.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

In ye olde days, when most everyone was illiterate, it made sense to reuse the names of the good kings such as Edward, Henry or William. If the first one of his name was really bad then it disappears for a long time - John, Stephen. James and Charles were Stuart names. The Hanovers that replaced them aren't going to use their names for their children.

Since 1066, there have only been 9 names of Kings and 4 names of Queens. So with George, Elizabeth, Charles, William,George - its going to be 100+ years between repeated names. At least that is improving.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

How about a double-barrelled first name as King Willem-Alexander and the Princess of Orange have? One traditional, one more modern - as a way of introducing a more modern first name for our British monarchs. Traditions have to start from somewhere!
Old 04-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

My last minute guesses are also my first guesses:

Princess Victoria Elizabeth Diana Caroline of Cambridge
Prince Arthur Richard Philip Leopold of Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Aren't Beatrice and Eugenie both names used by Queen Victoria for her daughters.
Beatrice was the name of Queen Victoria's youngest daughter and child. Eugenie wasn't the name of any of Queen Victoria's children, but of her granddaughter, Queen Ena of Spain, whose birth name was Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Zara was never going to be Royal in the same way Charlses boys or Andrews girls were. They could experiment out of the box.But Eugenie was a bit of a wildcard also- does anyone know why they chose that one?
I don't know if they actually named Princess Eugenie after her, but as I mentioned above, it's the name of one of Queen Victoria's granddaughters who later became the Queen of Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I've always thought Prince Charles suggested it to his sister and Anne liked it. I don't believe its a traditional name at all, but I can't remember where Charles got it from!
I remember reading that Charles suggested Zara to Anne because it means "princess" in Arabic, but I'm not sure if that's true. A very fitting meaning for HM's first granddaughter, even though she isn't titled!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Oh, I agree but that was more than century ago, maybe it's time to bring in new names. Oh just use some not so common. What's wrong with Albert/David as a first name?
Nothing. Albert was the first name of both King Edward VII and King George VI.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
How about a double-barrelled first name as King Willem-Alexander and the Princess of Orange have? One traditional, one more modern - as a way of introducing a more modern first name for our British monarchs. Traditions have to start from somewhere!

Queen Victoria wanted her son to reign as Albert-Edward I but he relegated the Albert using two arguments:

1. His father's name - Albert - should stand alone as he was known as 'Albert the Good' - that was certainly the case during Victoria's reign but hasn't lasted

2. English/British Kings only have one name and he wasn't going to go against that tradition.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I remember reading that Charles suggested Zara to Anne because it means "princess" in Arabic, but I'm not sure if that's true. A very fitting meaning for HM's first granddaughter, even though she isn't titled!
It has quite a few meanings - "day's awakening", "bright as dawn" "Princess". It was quite "out there" as a choice by the British royals but I am quite glad that Anne decided to break from tradition and chose a different name for her daughter. Even Peter isn't a royal name although it was much more traditional than Zara. Anne knew her children were not going to be future Royals so their names did not particularly matter. I was disappointed with Lady Louise's name to be honest. I would have preferred an Alice or Charlotte. I know Alice is one of her middle names but Lady Alice Mountbatten-Windsor sounded lovely. Louise, although coated in Royal family history in almost all the royal dynasties, was not particularly contemporary for 2003.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

How many days with waited to know George's name after he was born?
Old 04-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Let's not forget the reasoning behind Prince George's names - George for obvious reasons because one day he will be king and so it had to be something along those lines. Alexander Louis were chosen simply because they liked the names - well that's what I understood anyway.
So with that in mind and if William and Catherine stick with that name-choosing formula, the first name will be more traditional and the other names......well, anything goes I suppose! That hasn't helped has it!?
I always thought Alexander was a great way to honor the Queen - her second name is Alexandra.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Louise, although coated in Royal family history in almost all the royal dynasties, was not particularly contemporary for 2003.
I think that's in its favour. It's neither ten-a-penny nor hopelessly old-fashioned.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Serene Highness

This is a first for me as I don't usually place bets/preferences but:
I'm voting for Charlotte for a girl and hoping for a David for a boy.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Aristocracy

Richard also has some negative past as a name? It hasn't been used for a long time.

Oh, I like name David very much. But it's very unlikely choice for a first name.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Richard also has some negative past as a name? It hasn't been used for a long time.

Oh, I like name David very much. But it's very unlikely choice for a first name.
Richard is the name of the current Duke of Gloucester

David is the name of Princess Margaret's son, the Queen's nephew and (importantly) QEQM's grandson.

This constant "that name cant be chosen because of history" is IMO just unrealistic.

Look across the entire royal family and names which have been called "impossible" have been chosen.

It's only followers and bloggers who think this is important - I think the Cambridges will choose a name they like - regardless of history.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-22-2015, 07:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
How many days with waited to know George's name after he was born?
2 days after his birth.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

I posted a full list of existing names within the current BRF down as far as the descendants of Princess Alexandra in post 991 in this thread.

If all those names are ruled out there are quite a few that can't be used including both Richard and David and almost all the other 'favourites' such as Albert, Arthur, Alexander and Alexandra. Even George was already in use when Prince George was born - and there is also a Louis in the extended family as well.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Serene Highness

Arthur Phillip Richard

Born April 25

That is my vote.

Closed Thread