Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep thinking Jane might be in there somewhere. I don't think it's ever been a royal name, but it would be a nod toward the Spencers without going for Diana or Frances (or Sarah, which is probably OUT).

Louisa is another long-shot.

I keep thinking Jane might be in there somewhere. I don't think it's ever been a royal name, but it would be a nod toward the Spencers without going for Diana or Frances (or Sarah, which is probably OUT).

Louisa is another long-shot.

There was Lady Jane Grey, and also Jane Seymour, one of the wives of Henry VIII, but obviously that was quite a long time ago. I don't know if it's been used as a royal name sense.

Louisa would be lovely, but Edward and Sophie already have a Louise, and they might not want to use a name so close to that of a family member.

I really hope they don't give her Elizabeth as a first name. Doing so would deprive her of her individuality as she would be swallowed up within the shadow of her great-grandmother. As a second or third name, fine, but not first. Let her have her own identity!

Caroline is a fine name if Kate's mother is to be honoured, but as a first name it might be too much of an honour. If I had my 'druthers, it would be Eleanor Diana Elizabeth Caroline. She probably won't get four names, though.

I really hope they don't give her Elizabeth as a first name. Doing so would deprive her of her individuality as she would be swallowed up within the shadow of her great-grandmother. As a second or third name, fine, but not first. Let her have her own identity!

Caroline is a fine name if Kate's mother is to be honoured, but as a first name it might be too much of an honour. If I had my 'druthers, it would be Eleanor Diana Elizabeth Caroline. She probably won't get four names, though.

Sorry, I like Elizabeth as name and maybe Diana as a middle name. I think they would have 1 first name and 2 middle names as they did for Prince George. No ideas for another middle name, maybe Victoria?

I'm voting for Isabelle or Caroline ( as a nod to Katherine's mother Carole).

I've wondered the same about having them use Elizabeth as a first name, and wondered if they might rule it out since it will always have such strong associations with her great-grandmother. However, it might also be something that could form a nice bond between them, since they're several generations apart. I doubt the association would be too burdensome, in fact it might be something that would be treasured.

As for Caroline, while it is close to Kate's mother's name it's also, of course, a feminine version of Charles (though I realize that might not be as obvious an association to many), and so would honor grandparents on both sides.

How Caroline is the feminine version of Charles is quite interesting I think.

The name Charles is equated with Charlemagne, also a great French king. Charlemagne and his heirs' Frankish state was known as the Carolingian Empire. Carolus is Latin for Charles. Hence the name Caroline being the feminine version of Charles.

I just hope they do not use Diana 's name, I think it will be too much to bare for her and always this situation about compare with her grandmother, her tragic death, who she was, I know it would be in her honor, but I think it is too much for a little girl ! My brother has my father's name, my father died when my mother was pregnant 4 months, has been a little difficult for him first a completely foreign name a Danish name in Spanish speaking country , and after to keep up to the expectations! now his son has a completely different name!

As for Elizabeth being the first name, aside from being with the same name as her great-grandmother, it sounds so close to Crown Princess Elisabeth of Belgium's name...

As for Caroline, there's Princess Caroline of Monaco and Hanover.
As for Eleanor/Eleonore, there's Princess Eleonore of Belgium, youngest child of King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of the Belgians. If I remember correctly, too, Princess Madeleine of Sweden's first child is named Eleonore.

I want her to be different from other princesses...like Princess Estelle of Sweden. Aside from her, I never heard a royal with that name before.

But well then, we are only wishing... they have the final say :)

Last edited:
There hasn't been a Princess Elizabeth since 1952. I wouldn't mind having a Princess Elizabeth of Cambridge.:flowers:

As for Elizabeth being the first name, aside from being with the same name as her great-grandmother, it sounds so close to Crown Princess Elisabeth of Belgium's name...

As for Caroline, there's Princess Caroline of Monaco and Hanover.
As for Eleanor/Eleonore, there's Princess Eleonore of Belgium, youngest child of King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of the Belgians. If I remember correctly, too, Princess Madeleine of Sweden's first child is named Eleonore.

I want her to be different from other princesses...like Princess Estelle of Sweden. Aside from her, I never heard a royal with that name before.

But well then, we are only wishing... they have the final say :)

I doubt they think too much about names in other royal families in circumstances like this, as it would really rule out quite a few names (e.g. Victoria, Charlotte, Mary, Alexandra, and others that I'm sure I'm forgetting). I think they probably have enough "constraints" (not official ones of course) within the British Royal family, based on what's traditional but not currently in use or taboo in some way.

However, it might also be something that could form a nice bond between them, since they're several generations apart. I doubt the association would be too burdensome, in fact it might be something that would be treasured.

I agree with this.

I actually hope she will be named Elizabeth Diana Carole, but I think it will be something else.

Last edited:
Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

Despite all previsions I think they will totally surprise us.
A question. Was the name George among the previsions? And which Name was in the top last time?
Who remembers?

Last edited:
Charlotte Victoria
Mary Elizabeth Jane
Alice Charlotte
Alexandra Sarah
Helena Eleanor
Charlotte Diana

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Harriet
Hermione
Hedwig
Louisa
Alberta
Michaela

My first attempt at guessing this one:
Julia Diana Margaret Helen/Ellen

I hope the delay isn't because there is different ideas about the name. Some family might be trying to change their minds etc

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I won't bother to post the link to the article but the Mail is now claiming that they've already named the baby they're just waiting to tell the queen in person first. So if that's the case we should hear it today.

I won't bother to post the link to the article but the Mail is now claiming that they've already named the baby they're just waiting to tell the queen in person first. So if that's the case we should hear it today.

It sounds possible. In any case , wait and see.

Ow Hermione... Love it. Never gonna happen but still. Almost as good as Leopold.

That is very plausible. Show the baby to her great-grandmother whom also is Head of the House and inform her by first hand about the intended names. No more than normal, I would say...

Since names aren't exclusive to royals the name they choose will have belonged to someone else.

Don't throw rocks at me but I kind of want them to pick something totally unexpected to suprise everyone.Not like Kaylee or Brianna mind you but still elegant and appropriate just outside the box...Christina or Cecily or the like.

Don't throw rocks at me but I kind of want them to pick something totally unexpected to suprise everyone.Not like Kaylee or Brianna mind you but still elegant and appropriate just outside the box...Christina or Cecily or the like.

I like both those names, or any of the many variations of them.

They could be ultra modern and hip and let George name her :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom