The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Heir Apparent

How is James too royal when there have been more Henrys, Edwards and Georges? There also not a lot of Prince James either post Glorious Revolution.

Not that we will ever know, WK must of had a girls name picked out in addition to George's name because they didn't know the sex. Will they bring that name back out if this royal baby is a girl?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 09-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
How is James too royal when there have been more Henrys, Edwards and Georges? There also not a lot of Prince James either post Glorious Revolution.

Not that we will ever know, WK must of had a girls name picked out in addition to George's name because they didn't know the sex. Will they bring that name back out if this royal baby is a girl?

James was a Royal name long before we had George's, but like you said has not been used for a long time. It was last used in the 1500/1600's I believe and there were 7 King James', though admittedly 5 of them were of Scotland. It was said to be "bad luck", like the name John, and hadn't been used a lot until it was used for Viscount Severn. At the time though people had said that the name should have been kept and given to William to his children as his children were going to much more "Royal".

Old 09-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Nobility

Now the fun is about to begin ....
Luckily she has her nanny,poor thing,,,I don't envy her,running around ragged..I'm tired just thinking about it..the royals have them,nurture them and the nanny does a lot..
Old 09-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Possible names for the 2nd child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

I would think that the only name that William has dibs on is Elizabeth. Peter could have used it as a first name for Isla especially since she was born in the diamond jubilee year but its only a middle name for her.

It seems that the royals tend not to use a name if its already in use by someone in the family . Like Harry isn't going to name his son George. The only exceptions are probably Philip and Elizabeth since they won't be a great overlap in lifespans

Old 09-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
James was a Royal name long before we had George's, but like you said has not been used for a long time. It was last used in the 1500/1600's I believe and there were 7 King James', though admittedly 5 of them were of Scotland. It was said to be "bad luck", like the name John, and hadn't been used a lot until it was used for Viscount Severn. At the time though people had said that the name should have been kept and given to William to his children as his children were going to much more "Royal".
I know that's how I felt. I really like the name James, and Prince James sounds nice.
Edward and Sophie could have given their son any name, but there are so few regnal names.

On the other hand, I really dislike the name Albert so I hope they don't go with that! It sounds so nerdy.

Have the betting sites started up yet?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I know that's how I felt. I really like the name James, and Prince James sounds nice.
Edward and Sophie could have given their son any name, but there are so few regnal names.

On the other hand, I really dislike the name Albert so I hope they don't go with that! It sounds so nerdy.

Have the betting sites started up yet?
Technically little James is HRH Prince James...I agree though that it does sound nice and I wish he was allowed to use the style. I do prefer Alexander to James, but apparently Edward and Sophie chose James and Alexander as they were two names they liked.

Quote:
I would think that the only name that William has dibs on is Elizabeth. Peter could have used it as a first name for Isla especially since she was born in the diamond jubilee year but its only a middle name for her.

It seems that the royals tend not to use a name if its already in use by someone in the family . Like Harry isn't going to name his son George. The only exceptions are probably Philip and Elizabeth since they won't be a great overlap in lifespans

There were 3 Prince Edward's at one point, although one was known as David. I do think times have changed in that sense - the family will share middle names (2 of the Queen's grandchildren have Philip and 3 of the girls have Elizabeth and there are even two Alexander's as middle names), but I think the time of sharing first names is over.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Nobility

For some reason I think this baby will be a girl. I am going to predict her name will be Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Victoria.
I really don't think they will use Diana or any part of her name for their daughter though Harry might in the future.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Serene Highness

I'm sticking w/my picks (or slight variations of) the first time around:

Philip Charles Michael Albert
Elizabeth Frances Alexandra
Old 09-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff462 View Post
Whenever I think of royal baby names I always think of regnal numbers. Even though George will hopefully become the monarch it is always a possibility that a sibling could become the monarch and it also feels appropriate to name a royal baby after a previous monarch.

It seems like Kate and Wills want to go with the safe option, with George being a safe name as it doesn't clash with the English or Scottish regnal numbers, as there have only been Georges after England and Scotland united. The only other two 'safe' boys names are Charles (as there have only been Charleses after the union as well) and John (there's been one King John in both Scotland and England, pre-union). If not, then maybe it would appropriate to give a boy a Scottish name to honour the Scots given the current situation in Scotland.

So… my idea for a boy is:

John Henry Francis

I think John is good because Jack is a diminutive of John so he could be known as Prince Jack (like how Prince Harry is actually called Prince Henry). Henry is to honour his brother and Francis is Kate's father, which is also appropriate as Diana's middle name was Frances. I think if he is called Henry, then Harry will be a godfather as it's traditional to name the child after its godparents.

And for a girl the 'safe' options are Victoria, Anne and Mary. Likewise, if one wanted to honour the Scots, the only other Scottish Queen (in her own right) was Margaret.

My idea for a girl is:

Victoria Elizabeth Diana

Victoria was such a well remembered and popular monarch it seems like a good choice. It also seems almost disrespectful not to a name a girl Elizabeth when the Queen is still alive. Elizabeth is also the middle name of both Kate and her mother. The reason for Diana is obvious and it seems like fitting tribute.

…I think I spend too much time thinking about this...
I agree with you about it being politic to have a strong Scottish connection, so my first thought was Robert, after the Founder of the Stewart Dynasty.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Who is the 3rd Prince Edward? There was Albert Edward (Bertie -EdVII) Edward (David- Ed VIII) at the same time. Albert Victor aka Eddy was dead by then.

There is already a Scottish link with George's middle name of Alexander which was the name of several Scottish Kings.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Who is the 3rd Prince Edward? There was Albert Edward (Bertie -EdVII) Edward (David- Ed VIII) at the same time. Albert Victor aka Eddy was dead by then.

There is already a Scottish link with George's middle name of Alexander which was the name of several Scottish Kings.

The three Prince Edward's were Edward, Duke of Windsor (formerly Edward VIII), Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, and The Prince Edward, currently Earl of Wessex. This occurred for the 8 years between the Earl of Wessex's birth in 1964 and the Duke of Windsor's death in 1972.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I guess my choice for a name for a daughter the first time around is out. I wanted Georgianna. Now that would be too weird to have two Georgies in the family.

I'm going to predict that if its a girl this time around, she'll be known as Grace Mary Elizabeth. George and Gracie make a good couple.

For a boy, I wouldn't be surprised if the name was Charles Henry Philip.
Marvelous!!!!!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

The 3 would be the Duke of Windsor, the Duke of Kent, and the Earl of Wessex. The youngest, the Earl of Wessex, was born in 1964, and the eldest, the Duke of Windsor, died in 1972.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, I was just off 70 yrs. Even with those 3 Edwards, if the press said Prince Edward - you would think of the future Earl of Wessex since the other 2 would be referred to by the ducal title. Now the press hardly ever uses the right title. William is still called Prince William instead of his title. Imagine if there was baby Prince William of Cambridge.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Gentry

I agree with the posters who don't think Diana will be included.
Let Harry name a child after her, his children won't be as closely watched and won't have the pressure to fill her shoes. Oh, they'll get attention, but not on the scale of William's offspring.

Now, for a girl: Elizabeth Victoria Mary
For a Boy: Philip Charles David

I'll probably change my mind a dozen times. We all probably will.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:56 PM
Gentry

As I said I would probably change my mind often.
I have already changed my mind about the girl's name.
This child will not be an immediate heir unless the unthinkable should happen, so there is no need to give her such powerful names.

So: Charlotte Elizabeth Rose

ana
Old 09-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Commoner

My personal guesses are Alice Frances Elizabeth and Arthur Francis David.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I wish for some different boys names as the BRF seems to be stuck in a groove of William, Henry and George. I like Alexander but it's already been used as George's middle name. What about David for the Welsh connection or Robert Bruce for the Scots, if they haven't become independent!

There's more of a range for girls. I don't think they'll call a daughter Diana. I think Elizabeth might come up among the names, perhaps Victoria, Alice or Helen. Frances, the name of William's grandmother could be a middle name.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Serene Highness

if a girl I think Elizabeth; with a defined nickname (i.e. Betsy, Libby, Lizzie, Beth etc -similar to when Harry was born).

I don't think anyone other than someone in the direct succession line would name a girl Elizabeth... it has been used as many middle names, but no one has actually had a princess Elizabeth. in addition to HM it is also Catherine's middle name AND her mother's middle name Carole Elizabeth.

I think for the 2nd child they will limit the names to 3 or even 2. I am going with :

Elizabeth Frances
otherwise very traditional : Mary, Victoria or Charlotte
Old 09-09-2014, 02:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think John will ever come up as a first name for the British royals. Because of the connotations of bad King John they've kept away from the name for heirs.

Also it's had its sad links over the years--George V and Queen Mary's youngest son was ill and died young. Edward and Alexandra's youngest son had John as one of his first names and died soon after birth. If the family feel there is any bad luck involved then they won't use it.

Closed Thread