The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Heir Apparent

I much more prefer traditional names than extravagant; for me they are not boring.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
I much more prefer traditional names than extravagant; for me they are not boring.
Indeed. It's just that i think the names they are going to choose will be among the usual "royal" range: Frederick, Arhur of Frances and Alice, Charlotte, Alexandra or Victoria... I don't feel other names coming

Old 04-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Girl: Victoria

Boy: Hezekiah

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Isn't Archie a diminutive from Archibald, and Alfie for Alfred?
Yes, that's right. But there is currently a fad in the UK for registering children with these diminutives, rather than giving them the full traditional name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Indeed. It's just that i think the names they are going to choose will be among the usual "royal" range: Frederick, Arthur or Frances and Alice, Charlotte, Alexandra or Victoria... I don't feel other names coming
Our royals don't seem to do Francis/Frances. Strange, since it was the first name of Queen Victoria's husband Albert.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Royal Highness

Girl: Victoria Diana Elizabeth

Boy: Edward Charles Philip
Old 04-02-2015, 09:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
Yes, that's right. But there is currently a fad in the UK for registering children with these diminutives, rather than giving them the full traditional name.
Just like the American South has always done, well done, Great Britain!
Old 04-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Courtier

More speculation that the new baby will be a little girl, with the reporting of three pink paint colours being sampled at Anmer Hall from the expensive Annie Sloan company in Oxford.

Sebastian Shakespeare has an article on the three different pink paints -and the cost.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent

They didn't find out for George why would they do it for this one especially when it would be easy for a slip of the tongue when they are out talking to people.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
More speculation that the new baby will be a little girl, with the reporting of three pink paint colours being sampled at Anmer Hall from the expensive Annie Sloan company in Oxford.

Sebastian Shakespeare has an article on the three different pink paints -and the cost.
Do people really still do that 'blue for a boy, pink for a girl' thing?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Nobility

Yes they do.
Would you rather have pink for a boy?I mean..seriously.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
Yes they do.
I don't care for pastels, so probably not, but if I was given something pink for a boy I would use it. I doubt babies notice these things.

But seriously, a pot of paint? Just as likely they're redecorating the downstairs loo.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post

Well, that's one heckuvva leak! If true, I'm very happy for them, but truth to say, as long as the baby is healthy and happy, that's the main concern (for anyone). In the end, that's all that matters.

Quote:
Yes they do.
I understand the colors were reversed during Victorian times, or was it in the US? Anyway, at one time, about early last century, blue was for a girl and pink (red) for a boy. Not now, of course.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:25 PM
Heir Apparent

We decorated the nursery for our first child in a neutral colour, lemon and white, decades ago. Babies wear gorgeous outfits in all sorts of colours now but I must admit strangers seeing a pink outfit on a baby boy would still automatically assume he was a girl.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Serene Highness

Remember when people were confused about George wearing a christening gown, because 'only girls wear dresses'

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 04-03-2015, 10:47 PM
Serene Highness

I know couples who didn't want to know the first time but changed their minds for the second child. My husband and I knew both times but kept it to ourselves, much to one of my sister's frustration :). Like Curryong, we painted the nursery lemon and white which worked for both children. We got a lot of pink and lavender for our daughter and blue and green for our son, but they wore other colors too.

Masculine and feminine colors give the grandmas in the grocery store a little more information when they gush over a baby.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

We did not know the first time, but knew the second time.

If they know what it is, I doubt they would give anybody a hint, even the decorator - unless they don't mind an announcement via unknowns on Twitter.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Yes they do.
Pink used to be for boys. It was considered a stronger color.

Quote:
The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Pink used to be for boys. It was considered a stronger color.
Exactly. Also, Blue was the colour Virgin Mary was depicted in and Red (and therefore pink) was Jesus colur. That plus the first 4 years of a kids life all kids were dressed in "girls" clothing in (i think it was) Victorian UK. It's just some new nonsense this pink/blue bulls**t.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
We did not know the first time, but knew the second time.

If they know what it is, I doubt they would give anybody a hint, even the decorator - unless they don't mind an announcement via unknowns on Twitter.

I would think if you want the royals to come back you don't talk about the royals shopping habits. It's one thing if some customer post that she saw Kate at Peter Jones in London looking at men's sock. But the company leaking it would be different. Plus how many companies just send stuff to KP on their own and try to use it as publicity. Didn't that happen with a slide that they claimed they bought for George?

I can see finding out what the second one is for decision purposes? Do you we need to get a bigger house or can the kids share. Putting extra money aside for more kids clothes because Billy can't wear Suzy's dresses. But W&K don't have those worries. Plus people are betting on the sex of their baby so they are under the microscope from people looking for the slightest clue, which would be easier to hide if you didn't know.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I would think if you want the royals to come back you don't talk about the royals shopping habits. It's one thing if some customer post that she saw Kate at Peter Jones in London looking at men's sock. But the company leaking it would be different. Plus how many companies just send stuff to KP on their own and try to use it as publicity. Didn't that happen with a slide that they claimed they bought for George?

I can see finding out what the second one is for decision purposes? Do you we need to get a bigger house or can the kids share. Putting extra money aside for more kids clothes because Billy can't wear Suzy's dresses. But W&K don't have those worries. Plus people are betting on the sex of their baby so they are under the microscope from people looking for the slightest clue, which would be easier to hide if you didn't know.
I hope William and Catherine are not making their decisions based on how they think it will impact gambling

I agree that there are practical reasons why people change their mind about whether to know the baby's sex in advance, but there are emotional reasons, too. My feelings during my second pregnancy were very different than my first. With my first, I was often overwhelmed with worries and uncertainties. With my second, I had a better idea what to expect and was more prepared. Being in a different place emotionally leads to different (although not necessarily better) decisions.

While I am typing this, I am reminded of a series of diaper commercials highlighting how mothers become more relaxed when dealing with their second child. Having a second child is very different than having the first.

Closed Thread