The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
For a Princess: Which spelling would be better for her middle name: Frederica or Fredericka?
I suppose it might depend if it were to be pronounded Freder--ee--ca (Frederica) or Freder--ick--a (Fredericka).
JMO!

Old 04-01-2015, 11:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
It has been said that Charles and Diana had a huge argument over the naming of William. Presumably an agreement was made before Harry's birth!

Many couples, especially mums to be make a list of half a dozen favourites for each sex and then make the final choice when the baby is here. Probably that's what Will and Kate have done, with the caveat that the choice is more distinctly limited by tradition if the new baby's a male.

I have read that Queen Victoria named her second daughter Alice because Lord Melbourne (her first Prime Minister, on whom she had a schoolgirl crush as a young Queen) had liked the name so much.
I think he also really loved Helena or possibly Louise. Two of her girls were given names he loved.

Except for Albert Edward, didn't she introduce all new first names to the BRF with the other 8? Nowhere to be found were the tried and true BRF names of William, George, Elizabeth, Charlotte. I think when the Prince Regent insisted on the unheard of Alexandrina Victoria, she thumbed her nose right back at him when naming her own.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Alfred and Arthur were used before.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-02-2015, 12:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
For a Princess: Which spelling would be better for her middle name: Frederica or Fredericka?

Definitely Frederica with Alice as a first name.

Georgie and Freddie go quite well.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Victoria's youngest son, Leopold, was of course named after her beloved uncle Leopold of the Belgians. I do think Victoria and Albert pleased themselves with many of their children's names. Beatrice was probably a nod to the Victorian love of the medieval period and Louise was a reasonably common mid-19th century name but I don't know where Helena came from.

Just now read it, in her biography by John van der Liste. She was named after Prince Albert's cousin, Helene d' Orleans, who was her sponsor/godmother.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I think he also really loved Helena or possibly Louise. Two of her girls were given names he loved.

Except for Albert Edward, didn't she introduce all new first names to the BRF with the other 8? Nowhere to be found were the tried and true BRF names of William, George, Elizabeth, Charlotte. I think when the Prince Regent insisted on the unheard of Alexandrina Victoria, she thumbed her nose right back at him when naming her own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Victoria's youngest son, Leopold, was of course named after her beloved uncle Leopold of the Belgians. I do think Victoria and Albert pleased themselves with many of their children's names. Beatrice was probably a nod to the Victorian love of the medieval period and Louise was a reasonably common mid-19th century name but I don't know where Helena came from.

Just now read it, in her biography by John van der Liste. She was named after Prince Albert's cousin, Helene d' Orleans, who was her sponsor/godmother.
Most of the names Victoria and Albert used for their children (including middle names) were actually for people.

Of the first names, Victoria was obviously for herself (although it was also her mother's name) and Albert was for himself. Edward would have been for Victoria's father, Leopold for Victoria's uncle, Louise for Albert's mother. One of Arthur's godfathers was the Duke of Wellington, who he shared a birthday with. One of Helena's godmothers was named Helene. Alice is out there because it was a name Lord Melbourne liked, and I'm not sure where Beatrice or Alfred officially came from.

For the middle names... Victoria got hers from two great-aunts/godmothers (Adelaide and Mary) and her paternal grandmother (Louise; plus Mary, Louise, and Victoria all appear in her maternal grandmother's name, who was another godmother). Alice got hers from a godmother (Maud) and a great-aunt (Mary) whose birthday she was born on. Alfred got his from his grandfather and uncle (Ernest; not to mention the fact that it appeared in all sides of the family) and father (Albert), Helena from her mother (Victoria) and a godmother (Augusta; not to mention the fact that Augusta was a very common name in the family), Louise from her father (Alberta) and an old family name (Caroline), Arthur from one of his godfathers and from one of his great-uncles (William) and his father (Albert) although I'm not sure where Patrick comes into play (unless it's for the Saint), Leopold got an old family name (George) and his father's name (Albert) as well as the random Duncan. I'm not too certain where Beatrice got her first name, but her middle names are clear - Mary for her great-aunt, Victoria for her mother, and Feodore for her aunt.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Alfred and Arthur were used before.
I think Alfred is a distinct possibility for a boy. Lady Sarah Chatto has an Arthur, but I can't think of any young Alfies in the royal circles yet.

Alfred/Alfie is quite popular in the UK at the moment. Alfred also offers the possibility of Fred or Freddie as nicknames, so it's an adaptable name.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Arthur is more of a possibility than Alfred simply because Arthur is slightly more "modern" than Alfred. Arthur hasn't been used for a while apart from Lady Sarah's son so it's definitely in the prime position to be used and not confused with another member of the family as Athur Chatto is very far from the line of succession to this new baby. That's the problem with James and Edward as they are relatively high up in the line. Obviously they will more further down the line as time goes by but Viscount Severn is close in age to the new baby so it's definitely not going to be used. Possibly as a middle name if James Middleton is a Godfather. We also have far too many Edward's to contend with as it is! Edward could be a middle name but I see Charles or Michael as middle names more than I can see them using Edward.

I think Arthur and Alice are strong contenders as well as Charlotte and Louis.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Viscount Severn is for all intents and purposes a private citizen who not many people outside of royal watchers is even aware of. If W&K like the name James they will use it.

HRH Prince James of Cambridge will not be confused with Viscount Severn
Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Viscount Severn is for all intents and purposes a private citizen who not many people outside of royal watchers is even aware of. If W&K like the name James they will use it.

HRH Prince James of Cambridge will not be confused with Viscount Severn
He is a private citizen and an unknown but not in the family. I can't see them using his name for their son for the fact that his uncle is James and there is Viscount Severn who isn't much older than him. The tradition of using the same name for family members in the Windsor's doesn't seem to be the done thing anymore. That is also why I am ruling out another Prince Edward or Prince Henry for the new baby.

It's also why I would rule out a Princess Louise or Princess Anne for the new baby. The Windsor's no longer favour using the same Christian name for children and I for one am glad. There are so many other names in the family to use as Christian names and I am glad George was used as there hadn't been a Prince George for many years.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

The Earl of St Andrews, the son of the Duke of Kent is named George and it obviously didn't stop W&K from using it.

IMO if W&K like either James or Arthur they will use because the name will automatically be associated with the new prince and not with another family member
Old 04-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I think Arthur is more of a possibility than Alfred simply because Arthur is slightly more "modern" than Alfred.
You're right in a way, but I think you're discounting the popularity of Alfie as a name in its own right.

In the ONS statistics for 2013 (2014 not yet available), Alfred is at 136 (up from 158 in 2012) while Arthur is at 43, up 11 places from 2012.

But Alfie was a Top Ten name in 2012, slipping from 7 to 11 in 2013.

Now to my mind Alfie and Alfred are the same name, and I myself would always give a child the full version of a name so that he had a bit of choice over variations. As I said, Alfred gives Fred/die as well as Alf/ie, or even Ally and Al.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

George Windsor, Duke of Kent's son is not close to William in the family nor will he ever spend Christmas with the family or be in close proximity with the new child, whereas Viscount Severn will most likely spend Christmas (at least for a few more years) with the new baby. Of course William isn't close to his uncle's family but they defintiely see more of each other than George Windsor does with the family. George Windsor is an extended family member whereas James is a current family member.

Of course the name is not owned by anyone and they could very well use the name. I just can't see it as being an option because there are two James in the current family (one an uncle and one who is 7 years old). I could of course be proved wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
You're right in a way, but I think you're discounting the popularity of Alfie as a name in its own right.

In the ONS statistics for 2013 (2014 not yet available), Alfred is at 136 (up from 158 in 2012) while Arthur is at 43, up 11 places from 2012.

But Alfie was a Top Ten name in 2012, slipping from 7 to 11 in 2013.

Now to my mind Alfie and Alfred are the same name, and I myself would always give a child the full version of a name so that they had a bit of choice over variations. As I said, Alfred gives Fred/die as well as Alf/ie, or even Ally and Al.
You know, I hadn't even though of Alfie but you are right. Alfie and Archie are very popular currently. I have delivered many a Alfie or Archie.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree I don't see them repeating a name that in their immediate family extending possibly to Sarah and David's families since the Queen includes them in immediate family activities such as Easter and Christmas.

Elizabeth and Philip are the only possible exceptions.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent

We will never know why a particular name is used or isn't used but I think its a stretch to say Baby Cambridge and Viscount Severn will be 'immediate family'

If we start ruling out the names of cousins and nieces and nephews the pool becomes somewhat smaller.

Personally I like John for a boy and either Elizabeth or Victoria for a girl.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I think its a stretch to say Baby Cambridge and Viscount Severn will be 'immediate family'
In this context I am thinking of people they are likely to see more often. Parents with young children may get together more than with the older family members, and the Cambridges seem to get on well with the Wessexes.

Quote:
If we start ruling out the names of cousins and nieces and nephews the pool becomes somewhat smaller.
Exactly!
Old 04-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Cousins in the Royal family spend a lot of time together at family events and holidays probably more than what a regular family does. William, Harry, Peter, Zara, Bea and Eugenie all played together as kids, spent their Christmases together.

So wouldn't George and sibling play with Mia, Savannah, Isla with Louise and James as the big cousins watching out for their little cousins?

Old 04-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Names are for life. I don't think the fact a name is already in use by a cousin will stop W&K from using it if they like it. JMO
Old 04-02-2015, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Isn't Archie a diminutive from Archibald, and Alfie for Alfred?
Old 04-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it is a bit useless to think about extravang names.... They are going to use a traditional and "boring" name...