The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 03:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

As George is one of Charles' names it could be argued that they did honour him. If that was the case then Frances for a girl would be honouring Diana in a similar way.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:11 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As George is one of Charles' names it could be argued that they did honour him. If that was the case then Frances for a girl would be honouring Diana in a similar way.
I don't get this argument, I really don't. Diana was named Frances after her mother, so the reference would be to the child's great-grandmother. In the same way, the George in Charles's name is most likely after his grandfather, George VI.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:47 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I really don't expect them to name the child after anyone with an obvious close connection to the family as far as the first given name goes. Maybe its just me but I think Will and Kate are intelligent enough to realize that naming their child "Diana" or "Charles" or "Elizabeth" etc would drive the media and the rest of the world into a frenzy with comparisons, expectations and such. I believe they want their children to have and to forge their own identities and it will start with their names.

Only possibility I could see would be to name a princess Mary to compliment George in respect to King George VI and Queen Mary. Great great grandparents are somewhat distant in the past for their children's generation but yet historical.

Then again I could be totally way off base.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-01-2015, 02:02 PM

I think it will be

Charlotte Victoria Elizabeth for a girl and
Louis Michael Charles for a boy.

Although I don't think William will have a daughter without honouring his mother 'in some way' so I guess Diana might be in there somewhere but definitely not as a first name.... or maybe they will come up with something different altogether, who knows!
Old 04-01-2015, 04:54 PM
Nobility

If it's a girl, it wouldn't surprise me if they gave her just two names. George got three names instead of the expected four, so they might go with something like Mary Elizabeth.
She might be known by both names in childhood, eg Princess Mary Elizabeth - and possibly drop one of the names when she grew up, as Princess Margaret Rose became Princess Margaret.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
I don't get this argument, I really don't. Diana was named Frances after her mother, so the reference would be to the child's great-grandmother. In the same way, the George in Charles's name is most likely after his grandfather, George VI.
Regardless of whom Charles was named after with the George it is still one of his names and so using George could have been a subtle way of honouring Charles without being too obvious and the same with Frances - again one of Diana's names regardless of whom it came from to Diana it was still one of Diana's names.

My middle name is the same as my mother's, grandmother's and great-great-grandmother's but it is still MY name as well. If one of my children decide to use that name according to you they will be honouring a relative the never met rather than me - the one who also holds that name.

Just a note - I think the George was more for George V - whose actual name it was or Uncle George who died during the war (the late Duke of Kent) than for the 'created' name of George VI who was called Bertie by his family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Only possibility I could see would be to name a princess Mary to compliment George in respect to King George VI and Queen Mary. Great great grandparents are somewhat distant in the past for their children's generation but yet historical.

Then again I could be totally way off base.

George VI will be this child's great-great-grandfather but Queen Mary is another generation back and so the great-great-great-grandmother.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

How about one of the middle names spelled backwards? Would it still be obviously to honor someone?

Pillihp
Anaid (I think that is an actual name somewhere)
Secnarf
Lorac ( I like that one too, Anaid-Lorac)
Yram
Htebazile
Selrahc
Divad
Ruhtra

And my personal favorite...
Allimac....

charles

elizabeth
Old 04-01-2015, 05:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
George VI will be this child's great-great-grandfather but Queen Mary is another generation back and so the great-great-great-grandmother.
Thanks for the correction on that. I think the couple I had in mind was George V and Queen Mary. Them greats are a constant source of comfuzzlement for me.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
My middle name is the same as my mother's, grandmother's and great-great-grandmother's but it is still MY name as well. If one of my children decide to use that name according to you they will be honouring a relative the never met rather than me - the one who also holds that name.
Yes, I think it's slightly different when the same middle name is repeated through several generations. It becomes more of a family name than a personal name.

Just to expand a bit on my earlier points. I only associate one forename with a person, and that is the one they're known by. I very seldom think of their other forenames, and in many cases I don't know them. A lot of people don't even like their other names, which are often bestowed for family reasons. So if I wanted to remember someone, I would use the name I knew them by, otherwise it seems pointless.

(Occasionally someone is known by a double name, say Marie Louise for example, but I think of that as a single name in such cases.)
Old 04-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
How about one of the middle names spelled backwards? Would it still be obviously to honor someone?

Pillihp

Secnarf

Yram

Htebazile

Selrahc

Divad

Ruhtra

Allimac....

charles

elizabeth

Former Boston Red Sox SS Nomar Garciaparra - Full name Anthony Nomar. Nomar is his dad's name backwards Ramon.

It's been done before 😃

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Aristocracy

I still hope for a Girl. I believe she will be the next Princess royal. They could name her Mary Anne Louise after the last three Princess Royals. It would also honor the late Queen Mary. For a boy i see Albert Phillip Charles. Victoria and Elizabeth husbands are honored and then his grandfather.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post

Pillihp
Secnarf
Yram
Htebazile
Selrahc
Divad
Ruhtra

Allimac....

charles

elizabeth
Very interesting names. Makes me think of the names that have been listed for ancient civilizations. If they used one of these, I wonder just how long it would take the DM to figure it all out.
― John Lennon
Old 04-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
What exactly did you disagree with? You repeated the same point I made.

I still think that William is far more likely to associate the name Frances with his grandmother - because it was her name! Kate of course wouldn't have known Diana, so would have no personal associations.

Believe me, if this little blessing is a Princess and one of her names ends up being Frances, the Media will make sure it's well known.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Will and Kate are going to know why they picked the names and why. So it can be obvious or subtle. They are still going to know. So the papers can be trying to explain the baby names while W&K are sitting back knowing the names are the results of a Lupo & George picking names out of a bearskin hat as a tiebreaker because W&K were deadlocked 😋

Old 04-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Quote:
Regardless of whom Charles was named after with the George it is still one of his names and so using George could have been a subtle way of honouring Charles without being too obvious and the same with Frances - again one of Diana's names regardless of whom it came from to Diana it was still one of Diana's names.
Thank you for pointing this out. I was never suggesting that the child's first name would be Diana, but that it would be one of the names. But I can see now that Frances might be the way to go.

I am hoping for a girl. My view is that Catherine is bringing a lovely blend to the Windsor/Spencer genes. I am assuming the little girl (if a girl) will be physically comely and live a charmed life.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Will and Kate are going to know why they picked the names and why. So it can be obvious or subtle. They are still going to know. So the papers can be trying to explain the baby names while W&K are sitting back knowing the names are the results of a Lupo & George picking names out of a bearskin hat as a tiebreaker because W&K were deadlocked 😋

Hahah, thank you so much for that image!!!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

For a Princess: Which spelling would be better for her middle name: Frederica or Fredericka?
Old 04-01-2015, 10:54 PM
Heir Apparent

It has been said that Charles and Diana had a huge argument over the naming of William. Presumably an agreement was made before Harry's birth!

Many couples, especially mums to be make a list of half a dozen favourites for each sex and then make the final choice when the baby is here. Probably that's what Will and Kate have done, with the caveat that the choice is more distinctly limited by tradition if the new baby's a male.

I have read that Queen Victoria named her second daughter Alice because Lord Melbourne (her first Prime Minister, on whom she had a schoolgirl crush as a young Queen) had liked the name so much.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think William and Catherine (and Harry, for that matter) should let the expectations of the media or public dictate such a personal decision regarding choosing a name for their children. Not only would it be perfectly natural for either William or Harry to name a daughter Diana, it would be a fitting tribute to their beloved mother. If the baby is a girl, the comparisons to Diana will be inevitable no matter what they decide to name her.

If this baby is named Diana, by the time she turns 18, her grandmother will have been gone for more than 35 years. The reporters who wrote about Diana will probably have retired. The royal family will have marked many milestones--William may even be on the throne by that time.

Diana will always be more than a memory to William and Harry but most of the public will have moved on. There will be a glut of stories at first but, eventually, when people hear "Princess Diana," they will start to think of William's (or Harry's) daughter, rather than their mother. The origin of her name will be a footnote rather than the lead of an article.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Serene Highness

^I think Frederica is more common.
__

Why shouldn't William honor his mother? If it's a girl, she will be scrutinized anyway. And who knows, maybe she will be the spitting image of Carole.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Closed Thread