The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Aristocracy

I see kate honouring her parents so I expect Carole or Michael as middle names.

I don't expect diana to feature in the names though I'd love diana to be tgere

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 09-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Nobility

If it's a girl it would be like :
Diana Elizabeth Carole
and if it's a boy :
Edward ( name of godparents ).

Old 09-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Nobility

I really do hope that 'Diana' is not included if it is a girl, it was mentioned when DofCa was expecting George that one of their children could include the name Diana, I think that would be nice - I just think it is too soon to use that name :(
Old 09-08-2014, 04:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff462 View Post
Whenever I think of royal baby names I always think of regnal numbers. Even though George will hopefully become the monarch it is always a possibility that a sibling could become the monarch and it also feels appropriate to name a royal baby after a previous monarch.

It seems like Kate and Wills want to go with the safe option, with George being a safe name as it doesn't clash with the English or Scottish regnal numbers, as there have only been Georges after England and Scotland united. The only other two 'safe' boys names are Charles (as there have only been Charleses after the union as well) and John (there's been one King John in both Scotland and England, pre-union). If not, then maybe it would appropriate to give a boy a Scottish name to honour the Scots given the current situation in Scotland.

So… my idea for a boy is:

John Henry Francis

I think John is good because Jack is a diminutive of John so he could be known as Prince Jack (like how Prince Harry is actually called Prince Henry). Henry is to honour his brother and Francis is Kate's father, which is also appropriate as Diana's middle name was Frances. I think if he is called Henry, then Harry will be a godfather as it's traditional to name the child after its godparents.
While I love the name John, it is actually considered to be an "unlucky" name in the British Royal Family. There was a King John in the Middle Ages who was considered a terrible king, and other "Johns" in the family have met tragic ends. Prince Alexander John of Wales died a day after birth, and Prince John of Wales (the uncle of Queen Elizabeth) was epileptic and died at age 13. There are rumors that Diana had wanted to name one of her boys John, after her father, but couldn't because of the bad connotation associated with it in the family.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

imo the name Diana would better be saved for the next generation (so for instance when P.George has children).

I would never have guessed George for their oldest, so i'm probably wrong again, but it would be cool if the named a girl Harriet (after P.Harry ofcourse ) or Alexandrine if they want to use a "real" royal name.
For a boy: i'm going with Albert (just because it's a real family name and hasn't been used in a while)
Old 09-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Courtier

Boy - Again traditional!

Edward
Henry
William
James
Philip
Michael
Charles

Girl
Charlotte
Margaret
Elizabeth
Anne
Old 09-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I feel strongly it's a girl;

Alexandra Elizabeth Mary or just Alexandra Elizabeth

P.S. you heard it here first
Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I feel strongly it's a girl;

Alexandra Elizabeth Mary or just Alexandra Elizabeth

P.S. you heard it here first

But Alexander is one of George's names

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
imo the name Diana would better be saved for the next generation (so for instance when P.George has children).

I would never have guessed George for their oldest, so i'm probably wrong again, but it would be cool if the named a girl Harriet (after P.Harry ofcourse ) or Alexandrine if they want to use a "real" royal name.
For a boy: i'm going with Albert (just because it's a real family name and hasn't been used in a while)
Albert has been used in middle name capacity recently -both Andrew and Harry has Albert as one of their middle names. I find it interesting the people named Albert that came to the throne didn't choose that name to reign as.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Albert has been used in middle name capacity recently -both Andrew and Harry has Albert as one of their middle names. I find it interesting the people named Albert that came to the throne didn't choose that name to reign as.

Queen Victoria does not want any of her Descendants to reign as Albert. She may be dead but I think The Royals are going to stick to her orders on that one.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
While I love the name John, it is actually considered to be an "unlucky" name in the British Royal Family. There was a King John in the Middle Ages who was considered a terrible king, and other "Johns" in the family have met tragic ends. Prince Alexander John of Wales died a day after birth, and Prince John of Wales (the uncle of Queen Elizabeth) was epileptic and died at age 13. There are rumors that Diana had wanted to name one of her boys John, after her father, but couldn't because of the bad connotation associated with it in the family.
Yeah, I think it's a shame that it has unlucky connotations. So while I think John would be a good name for the baby, I think it's unlikely it will be chosen. I think it seems silly to think that because you've named a baby a certain name it will mean bad luck just because they have that name. But then again, you don't to be doing anything negative towards your own child...
Old 09-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Whilst I adore the idea of a Queen Isolde, I doubt that it will be chosen. From your suggestions, I think Helena, Charlotte and Caroline are the most likely. I think if they chose Adele or Emilia, they would most likely be spelt Adela or Amelia. I would love it if Adela could be revived, it's an elegant name and has connections with the BRF already (albeit long ago) as there was an Adela of Normandy, who was also known as Adela of England, in medieval times. Jonathan is a nice name too, but I doubt it will be considered or chosen as it has the "John" sound, which is an unlucky name for the royals due to Prince John, as well as Prince Alexander John, who both died young.
I love the idea of reviving old royal names - Adela is a lovely name.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Gentry

Marion and Florence are to "modern" names, not well know in the royal house.

Francis ? Kates father ? Is his name not Michael, is he ?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Gentry

Michael Francis Middleton, I see.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Courtier

My personal favorite name for a boy is Michael. I don't think James - there are already 2 in the family. For a girl I would guess Elizabeth as one of the names. As to others I think we'd be surprised by their choices.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Queen Victoria does not want any of her Descendants to reign as Albert. She may be dead but I think The Royals are going to stick to her orders on that one.
Is that true? She named her eldest son Albert Edward and IIRC she had fully intended for him to use the full name, but Bertie himself declined using Albert to not "undervalue" the name.

She reportedly also wanted all of her female descendants to bear the name Victoria somewhere in their name and they've clearly not stuck to that, so while I think it's unlikely that there will be a King Albert in the near future, I don't think you can count on the royals sticking to Victoria's demands.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Courtier

Possible names for the 2nd child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Is that true? She named her eldest son Albert Edward and IIRC she had fully intended for him to use the full name, but Bertie himself declined using Albert to not "undervalue" the name.

She reportedly also wanted all of her female descendants to bear the name Victoria somewhere in their name and they've clearly not stuck to that, so I don't think you can count on that.

Princess Beatrice Middle name is Victoria

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Actually, that would be Princess Eugenie (Victoria Helena) of York. She is also the first British Princess since Princess (Victoria Alexandra Alice) Mary, Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood, to have been given that name.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I guess my choice for a name for a daughter the first time around is out. I wanted Georgianna. Now that would be too weird to have two Georgies in the family.

I'm going to predict that if its a girl this time around, she'll be known as Grace Mary Elizabeth. George and Gracie make a good couple.

For a boy, I wouldn't be surprised if the name was Charles Henry Philip.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Not to mention the fact that the baby's maternal uncle is called James. I agree, James is out of the picture as a first name although it would have been lovely with George.
It would have gone very well with George. I do wish Edward and Sophie had chosen to use Alexander as his Christian name instead,or even Theo (though that is a bit too "out there" for the Royals.) They did get some stick at the time as people said they should not have been "allowed to use the name James" as their son would never be King and it was too "Royal".

I am still sticking to my previous guesses that I had for George.

Arthur for a boy and Charlotte for a girl.