The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
A lot of names are out of fashion but the minute a royal or celebrity uses the name for their child it is the height of fashion.
I had said something very similar in the part of my post that wasn't quoted. Names like Evelyn, which were viewed as old fashioned before they were used by celebrities, now seem to be considered as "vintage names that are coming back into fashion". When I hear people say that Rose is old fashioned, I'm always surprised because it has always felt rather modern or "in with the times" for me, but I do understand it is a vintage name. But Joan and Marjorie just seem a little too dated for a 2015 baby, though that's just IMO (and I might be biased, since I've never really been a fan of those names).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
What about Thomas for a boy?
It's been used by royalty in the past and is a classic name.
That's a nice suggestion, Thomas is a handsome name and I like the idea of Prince Thomas of Cambridge. Thomas Arthur would be a lovely combination, but I can't think of a third name to go with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Why do I get the feeling this name is going to take us all by suprise..Maybe they have a completely unthought of name but still classic such as Tabitha or Genevieve,Collin or Simon and the queen gives her blessing?

Would that be such a bad thing?
I also can't really see that coming. I've also never really viewed Tabitha and Collin (over here it's usually spelt as Colin, and I view it as a bit of a dad's name) as classics.

Having said that, Andrew wasn't a British Royal name until HM and Prince Philip used it for their third child in 1960, so perhaps they will go for that route (if they did though, I still doubt it would be something like Colin or Tabitha, but perhaps something more like Genevieve or a "modern classic"). But then again, one of Prince Philip's Greek family members was an Andrew, so I guess it's an honour name.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
IMO, George was named after his maternal male cousins in the order of their mother's birth.

If baby Cambridge is a girl, William can name her after her eldest maternal female cousins starting with her youngest sibling so the baby will be named:

Princess Kitty
And you think Diana is a long shot?

Why do you think he was named after the Spencers? They weren't even invited to George's christening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I had said something very similar in the part of my post that wasn't quoted. Names like Evelyn, which were viewed as old fashioned before they were used by celebrities, now seem to be considered as "vintage names that are coming back into fashion". When I hear people say that Rose is old fashioned, I'm always surprised because it has always felt rather modern or "in with the times" for me, but I do understand it is a vintage name. But Joan and Marjorie just seem a little too dated for a 2015 baby, though that's just IMO (and I might be biased, since I've never really been a fan of those names).

That's a nice suggestion, Thomas is a handsome name and I like the idea of Prince Thomas of Cambridge. Thomas Arthur would be a lovely combination, but I can't think of a third name to go with it.

I also can't really see that coming. I've also never really viewed Tabitha and Collin (over here it's usually spelt as Colin, and I view it as a bit of a dad's name) as classics.

Having said that, Andrew wasn't a British Royal name until HM and Prince Philip used it for their third child in 1960, so perhaps they will go for that route (if they did though, I still doubt it would be something like Colin or Tabitha, but perhaps something more like Genevieve or a "modern classic"). But then again, one of Prince Philip's Greek family members was an Andrew, so I guess it's an honour name.
I like Thomas, much more than some of the other likely choices - like Arthur, Alfred

Old 01-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

But then again, one of Prince Philip's Greek family members was an Andrew, so I guess it's an honour name.

That was Prince Phillip's father.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Andrew was more than one of Prince Philip's family members names. It was the name of Philip's father.

So that would be equivalent to W&K naming the baby Michael.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Michael is a very nice name, too, although we do have a living Prince Michael.

For George, I always hoped for a David - a nod to the patron saint of Wales, where Will and Kate spent so many happy years. And I like the name, too.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it's so funny that people think that the baby could be named after camillias grandmother or great grandmothers etc etc or that george was named after spencer cousins etc.
William and Kate aren't that crazy I'm sure they don't sit around working out coded names with hidden meanings they are sane people

Old 01-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I think it's so funny that people think that the baby could be named after camillias grandmother or great grandmothers etc etc or that george was named after spencer cousins etc.
William and Kate aren't that crazy I'm sure they don't sit around working out coded names with hidden meanings they are sane people

In the U.S. people were wondering if George was named after George Washington. That set off British commentors on message boards and the whole thing became quite funny.

Coded names... great idea! Martha Louise of Norway stated her daughter Leah was named after Princess Leia. Maybe they could go with Hollywood royal character.. Belle, Aurora, Ariel.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think William has to use Diana to make his feelings known. He gave Kate her ring that is seen every time she's out in public a constant and beautiful reminder

Old 01-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can't see a daughter not having some reference to Diana - it's just a question of how prominent. And if there's a reference to Diana, there must be a direct reference to the Queen.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Edward VIII's full name was Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I can't see a daughter not having some reference to Diana - it's just a question of how prominent. And if there's a reference to Diana, there must be a direct reference to the Queen.

Yes I think your right but I think its a boy anyway ha ha. It would be lovely to have little boys close together like William and Harry were I keep thinking Arthur but I don't really like it.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Yes I think your right but I think its a boy anyway ha ha. It would be lovely to have little boys close together like William and Harry were I keep thinking Arthur but I don't really like it.

I don't really like Arthur, either.

And I suspect the Cambridges don't either, since it's one of William's names but they didn't use it for George.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

They might have held Arthur back to use as a first name

Old 01-24-2015, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I don't really like Arthur, either.

And I suspect the Cambridges don't either, since it's one of William's names but they didn't use it for George.

It surprised me that it wasn't chosen for George given that both Charles and William have Arthur in their name line ups.

As royal rob said though - they may have kept it to use as a Christian name for another son but I don't see why they couldn't have continued the tradition of adding it to the first born son's name. Even if they had done that they could still have named the next son Arthur. Andrew's middle name is Edward and the Queen still used the name Edward for her next child.

I think Alice is a choice for a daughter as it's got a bit of Royal history being the name of one of Victoria's daughter and it was the name of Philip's mother. It has been used as middle names for Anne and Louise but not as a first name. In fact Philip's sisters have nice names (Theodora, Sophie and Cecille being my favourite.)
Old 01-24-2015, 06:51 PM
Commoner

If it's a girl, I think one of her names will be Mary.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Philip like Arthur is in Charles and William's names too.

Honestly, we have no ideal what William and Kate's thought process is for naming their children.

Basically the only name we know is definitely out is George.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Wikipedia is not accurate.

If you look at the history sectiion you will see all the changes over the years.

Alice is a perfect name as Alice Edmonstone was born April 29th and not October 14th as Wikipedia had for so many years.

Soooo, how come the pick up line by Camilla to Charles years ago? If I remember correctly "my ggg (?)gradmother was your ggg(?)grandfather's mistress, so how about it?
Sorry I'm not in the mood to get all the g's in order.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Even if the Camilla pick-up line was made up by an enterprising journalist, as I suspect it was, Alice Keppel is described as Edward VII's mistress in biographies of the monarch.

He was a known ladies man all his life and had several mistresses who kept him entertained and free from boredom. Alice Keppel was the end of a long line and lasted longer than most.

I like the name Alice, and I think 'Alice Elizabeth' is very pretty.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:31 PM
Royal Highness

Only in biographies written to cash in on C&C's story.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:37 PM
Royal Highness

If William want to honor his mother he can name his daughter after his mother's nieces.

Elizabeth Eleanor Jane

Elizabeth for the Queen and Diana's sister Elizabeth Sarah Lavinia. Diana's sister Sarah main godparent was Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. The custom was to name the god child after the primary godparent. Elizabeth Sarah Lavinia was named after the Queen Mother. Naming the baby Elizabeth would honor the Queen, the Queen's Mother, Diana through her family and Catherine through her and her mother's shared middle name.

Elizabeth would connect the baby to both sides of her family and each honored person can feel they are the one being primarily honored. The Queen would be happy because the child is named after her and her mother. Charles would be happy because the baby is named after his beloved grandmother. Kate, Carole and the Middleton family would be happy because they were included in the royal baby's name. Diana's family will be happy because it would publicly connect them to the royal baby.

Eleanor because it is the name of Diana's niece Eleanor Ruth Fellowes and her niece Kitty Eleanor Spencer.

Jane because it honors Diana through her sister Cynthia Jane, her niece Laura Jane Fellowes and her niece Emily Jane McCorquodale.

Twelve people honored with just 3 names.

The Queen, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, Catherine, Diana through her family, Carole, Sarah, Jane, Charles Spencer through his daughter, Emily, Laura, Eleanor and Kitty.

Closed Thread