The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Not going to happen...not with the children of the future king. They will have traditional names.

LaRae

Old 01-12-2015, 10:53 PM
Serene Highness

Almost certainly out of tradition yes they will but real talk as long as Liz gives it the go they can name it what they will... It is not like they will be hanged quarterd or sent to exhile in disgrace. If they suprise us with a not traditional but still elegant name it won't be the end of monarchy.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
as long as Liz gives it the go they can name it what they will...
Can you kindly show Her Majesty a little respect.!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:43 AM
Royal Highness

Ha ha that's what a lot of us Aussie call the queen ( not me ) Liz and Phil. My Dad would say that, makes me smile.
I think my Dad actually called Phillip Phil the Greek

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-13-2015, 07:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
Whether a son or daughter the child will have one paternal uncle, Prince Henry of Wales, and one maternal uncle, James Middleton. If their next child will be a daughter I'm sticking with some combination using the names of the former reigning queens:Mary, Victoria, Anne and Elizabeth

If the child will be a son I suggest using Henry and James, the names of his father's brother and mother's brother, the uncles, respectively. Ironically both names are the names of former monarchs also.
Henry and James are unlikely candidates unless they are middle names as they are being used by current family members and James, Viscount Severn is close in age to the new baby. James was a popular name in the Royal family but that was over 400 years ago - it hasn't been used since Stuart times. Viscount Severn was one of the first to be given it as a Christian name for many years.

I am sticking with Arthur as my choice and perhaps Henry or James as a middle name if they want to use family names, though Alexander and Louis for George were not family names.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Louis is a family name. Louis Mountbatten and William's last middle name.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Louis is a family name. Louis Mountbatten and William's last middle name.

I meant family names as in Regal names (George, Edward, Henry, Charles etc.) I should have been more specific, sorry.

Louis is also one of Edward's middle names though it's not for Louis Mountbatten, it's for Prince Louis of Hesse and by Rhine who is one of his godparents as Edward's full name is from his godparents.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:00 PM
Nobility

Well I'm going to make my baby sex prediction
She looks smaller then she did with PG
I'm guessing she's having another.....BOY.....

She's just so small and pointy in front...
We will all see in April!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:20 AM
Gentry

Wanted to add to this discussion the fact that the baby will be born around the days of the patron saints of England, Wales and Ireland. It's predicted he will be born in April and St George's day is April 23rd, while St Patrick's day and St David's day is only the month before, so maybe we should be expecting those names (even if we've had George already - the Earl of Wessex and the Duke of York both have the name Edward, so it's not impossible to have two Georges).

George/Georgina
Patrick/Patricia
David/Davina (?)
Old 01-16-2015, 08:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff462 View Post
Wanted to add to this discussion the fact that the baby will be born around the days of the patron saints of England, Wales and Ireland. It's predicted he will be born in April and St George's day is April 23rd, while St Patrick's day and St David's day is only the month before, so maybe we should be expecting those names (even if we've had George already - the Earl of Wessex and the Duke of York both have the name Edward, so it's not impossible to have two Georges).

George/Georgina
Patrick/Patricia
David/Davina (?)
FF462, If the Cambridges have a son and decide to use the name George as the child's middle name, exactly where would the George be placed?
For example: Edmund George Francis or
Edmund Francis George
The new child's name will be analyzed to no end.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post

FF462, If the Cambridges have a son and decide to use the name George as the child's middle name, exactly where would the George be placed?
For example: Edmund George Francis or
Edmund Francis George
The new child's name will be analyzed to no end.
The second would be in alphabetical order. ;-)
Old 01-16-2015, 08:55 PM
Aristocracy

Another guess ...

Charlotte Cecilia Mary
Edwina Rose Elizabeth

Fergus William Henry
Alistair Charles Francis
Old 01-16-2015, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff462 View Post

George/Georgina
Patrick/Patricia
David/Davina (?)
I'm admitting ignorance as an American. I don't know, so I am asking. How strongly does the current COE support Saints days? I know long in the past, saint days were largely eliminated. Have they come back into popularity? I do realize there are regional associations with certain saints. Thanks for any cultural explanation.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:18 PM
Heir Apparent

St George's Day has been celebrated a bit more in England in the last decade or so than it was before.

In the Anglican Church it is regarded as a major festival in the church calendar. 'Jerusalem' is sung in all cathedrals, churches and chapels on St George's Day or the nearest Sunday to it. Apart from that, I don't think there's much, although individual parishes named after St George might have celebrations of some kind.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:59 PM
Serene Highness

I'm still thinking a princess will have Victoria & Elizabeth in her names. Mayhap Caroline & Frances to honour the grandmothers. I really think that they will avoid Diana.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:21 PM

For a girl i would like to see Diana in it, maybe as a middle name but not as a first, Princess Elizabeth would be nice
Old 01-17-2015, 09:12 AM
Aristocracy

We already have Elizabeth and victoria in royal circles.

I'm hoping for Charlotte

Old 01-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Charlotte is a royal circle name also.
Queen Charlotte -George III's consort, Princess Charlotte of Wales who was daughter of George IV who died in childbirth and started the race to produce an heir among her uncles that ended up with the birth of Victoria.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I'm admitting ignorance as an American. I don't know, so I am asking. How strongly does the current COE support Saints days? I know long in the past, saint days were largely eliminated. Have they come back into popularity? I do realize there are regional associations with certain saints. Thanks for any cultural explanation.
Well they're quite relevant in that the saints days are the public holidays of the individual countries of which they are patron saints. England is the only British country which doesn't have its own individual public holiday but St George's day is still informally celebrated as England's national day.

And the reason I thought it was relevant for naming is because there is a tradition in the BRF of being named after British patron saints. For example, Princess Patricia of Connaught was given that name because she was born on St Patrick's day. While the Duke of Windsor had all the names of the four patron saints...

Just checking my facts - looks like Wales doesn't have its own individual public holiday either. But in any case, St David's day is still celebrated as a national day.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Persephone. We would then have a Princess Penny.