The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 AM
Majesty

I find it very annoying that these ridiculous rumours about the name "Diana" and all still circulate... But I think it's amazing how poople believe in them

Old 09-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Aristocracy

The media wants their Diana. I pity any child of theirs named Diana. She will always be compared to the POW and found lacking by the media.

Just like all the comparisons of Kate to Diana.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:50 AM
Courtier

Does anyone really seriously think William would burden his child with his mother name, knowing full well that is what the media wants.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Hummm.

Girl: Pamela Frances. She could be Princess Pammy or Princess Fanny. Cute.

Boy: Arthur William Philip
Old 09-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Hummm.

Girl: Pamela Frances. She could be Princess Pammy or Princess Fanny. Cute.

Boy: Arthur William Philip
Ooohhh... not Fanny pleasy. I can already picture the articles in the DM. Especially when she grows up and starts going out.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Ooohhh... not Fanny pleasy. I can already picture the articles in the DM. Especially when she grows up and starts going out.
That's what I was thinking. I've never been a huge fan of Fanny, but now that it has unfortunate connotations, I think it would be unusable today, despite it being a rather popular or well known nickname for Frances in the past. I also doubt Pamela will be chosen - it just seems a tad too dated for a modern child (for me, there are certain names that instantly define what era a person was born in, and Pamela for me is firmly in the 50s or 60s), but of course William and Catherine could change that, but I don't think they will choose it as it doesn't sound very royal to me. Carole is different however, as it would be an honour name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rticle-2772468

Found this whilst browsing. I'm sure it's just rumours and speculation, but who knows?
Yes, I had mentioned the article in this post of mine. I couldn't post it as I was on my new laptop and in a rush at the time. By the way, I saw your post regarding your pregnancy - good luck and congratulations. I think it is just The Daily Mail trying to make a fuss, but as I said before, I do think Diana is a likely option, but as a middle name only, because as others have said, it would be too much of a burden for Baby Cambridge No. Two to have it as their first name.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 09-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Sophia is a lovely name but is so overused here in the U.S. (most popular name if you count the variant Sofia. I hope they go with something a little underused.

Although, I have to say I love the name Anne-Sophia, which was the name of one of the daughters of Queen Anne, who of course died young. I doubt we will see this name as Anne is already in use, and there's Sophie Wessex.
Your not kidding.Sophia a so common now in the U.S. It's kind of lost it's luster and it's dash.
I also agree with Sophie and Anne they are not likely to be used.

Margaret could be another choice after Princess Margaret. Wasn't her name Margaret Rose? Something like that would be pretty.

By the way I love your avatar and username I'm a gig giraffe fan
Old 09-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Does anyone really seriously think William would burden his child with his mother name, knowing full well that is what the media wants.
I agree Diana won't be used by William. I'm not even sure about Harry using it. The name didn't seem to catch on with Diana and it would be too much of a burden for any daughter of either William or Harry.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

A name suitable for a prince or a princess HRH Cadbury Weetabix Bently of Cambridge.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post

Margaret could be another choice after Princess Margaret. Wasn't her name Margaret Rose? Something like that would be pretty.

But there's Margarita Armstrong-Jones, who is Princess Margaret's own granddaughter. So I think that name is unlikely, too.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But there's Margarita Armstrong-Jones, who is Princess Margaret's own granddaughter. So I think that name is unlikely, too.
Yes that could be a little too close. I guess it depends on how much they go with a very traditional royal name.Not much of a chance the will be very creative.

I would still favor Alice or Victoria for a girl

I still don't know about a boy's name. Victor or Robert maybe. I'm not crazy about either but they could work.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Yes, I had mentioned the article in this post of mine. I couldn't post it as I was on my new laptop and in a rush at the time. By the way, I saw your post regarding your pregnancy - good luck and congratulations. I think it is just The Daily Mail trying to make a fuss, but as I said before, I do think Diana is a likely option, but as a middle name only, because as others have said, it would be too much of a burden for Baby Cambridge No. Two to have it as their first name.
Sorry I missed where you posted the article! I've noticed the DailyMail is in the habit of releasing nonsensical stories just to get people worked up and talking. (I still remember when they claimed that Mrs. Middleton was throwing George a Jack Rabbit birthday party.) I figured the story was complete nonsense, but I always have fun reading it anyway.

Thanks for the well wishes on my pregnancy! :)
Old 09-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
A name suitable for a prince or a princess HRH Cadbury Weetabix Bently of Cambridge.
We need more laughs on the forums. IMHO. It's far better than arguing endlessly. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
What the heck are the chances that the Will/Kate camp has talked to Andrew Morton, off all people? Elizabeth Diana is just a good guess on his part.
It is hard to believe that Morton has sources close to William.

I think Elizabeth Diana would be a lovely nod to both William's grandmother and mother. I don't know if anyone in Catherine's family is named Elizabeth or Diana.

I think both William and Harry will honor their mother in some way if either or both have a daughter. I go back and forth about whether they would use Diana as a first name. On one hand, it would be a lot of pressure. But after a while, when people hear "Princess Diana" they would think about the child rather than her grandmother. If this child is named Diana, by the time she is 20, no one under the age of 60 would have a first-hand memory of Diana. (that makes me feel old).
Old 09-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One solution that could be possible but very improbable is that they could use a variation of the name Diana such as Adianna. It would have the undercurrents of Diana's name but yet be unique to the Princess. Just an idea.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
It is hard to believe that Morton has sources close to William.

I think Elizabeth Diana would be a lovely nod to both William's grandmother and mother. I don't know if anyone in Catherine's family is named Elizabeth or Diana.

I think both William and Harry will honor their mother in some way if either or both have a daughter. I go back and forth about whether they would use Diana as a first name. On one hand, it would be a lot of pressure. But after a while, when people hear "Princess Diana" they would think about the child rather than her grandmother. If this child is named Diana, by the time she is 20, no one under the age of 60 would have a first-hand memory of Diana. (that makes me feel old).
You definitely have to be of a certain age to understand the Diana Phenomenon. My children have no idea who she is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One solution that could be possible but very improbable is that they could use a variation of the name Diana such as Adianna. It would have the undercurrents of Diana's name but yet be unique to the Princess. Just an idea.
They won't go that far out with the names.

Diana by itself is a lovely name. If they want to name a daughter Diana, I think we will all get over it, and as is pointed out, within just a year or two this child will have her own identity and only us oldies will associate her with her grandmother. Her contemporaries won't.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:23 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Adelaide Mary Elizabeth

Prince Augustus Albert Ernest
Old 09-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
You definitely have to be of a certain age to understand the Diana Phenomenon. My children have no idea who she is.

They won't go that far out with the names.

Diana by itself is a lovely name. If they want to name a daughter Diana, I think we will all get over it, and as is pointed out, within just a year or two this child will have her own identity and only us oldies will associate her with her grandmother. Her contemporaries won't.
There was a typo in my original post, I meant to say by the time this child turns 20, no one under the age of 50 will have first-hand memories of Diana--she will have been gone for about 40 years by that time. Life goes on.

It's natural to name a child after someone in the family, whether that person is living or dead. Both William and Harry are very aware of the Diana phenomenon. If one or both still decide to honor their mother by giving their daughter her first name, more power to them. If only one does so, I hope it is Harry--William took the engagement ring.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like looking at the betting odds.

LINK: Royal baby name? 500-to-1 odds on 'Macbeth' - Money - TODAY.com

10/1 are the names Victoria, Mary, Elizabeth. Coming in second at 12/1 are Charlotte and Alexandra. I am partial to Charlotte (and Alexandra). BTW Diana is 25/1.

For boys names the lead at 10/1 is Philip, followed second at 12/1 with Arthur and Charles.

Looking at the above I think we're coming into a popular time for the name Charlotte, so I'm going to go with the three names: Charlotte, Alexandra, Elizabeth, in whatever order.

For boys I think Philip is almost a dead certainty, so would go with Philip Arthur Charles as a nice gesture.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
For a Prince: Frederick Edward Thomas

For a Princess: Cecily Frederica Elizabeth
Cecily, Duchess of York was the mother of King Edward IV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
For a Prince: Michael Claude Arthur
Claude is the first name of Claude George Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, the maternal grandfather of Queen Elizabeth II.

For a Princess: Claudia Ruth Diana
Claudia is a feminine equivalent of Claude, the first name of the 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne.
Ruth is the first name of Ruth Roche, Baroness Fermoy, the maternal grandmother of Diana, Princess of Wales.
Nice choices for girls but too far out for them. Boy's names - possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I like looking at the betting odds.

LINK: Royal baby name? 500-to-1 odds on 'Macbeth' - Money - TODAY.com

10/1 are the names Victoria, Mary, Elizabeth. Coming in second at 12/1 are Charlotte and Alexandra. I am partial to Charlotte (and Alexandra). BTW Diana is 25/1.

For boys names the lead at 10/1 is Philip, followed second at 12/1 with Arthur and Charles.

Looking at the above I think we're coming into a popular time for the name Charlotte, so I'm going to go with the three names: Charlotte, Alexandra, Elizabeth, in whatever order.

For boys I think Philip is almost a dead certainty, so would go with Philip Arthur Charles as a nice gesture.
Certainly possible for either gender.