The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Aristocracy

Remember the reasoning behind george's name was that they liked those names...and that it wasn't any deeper than that.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisuzieii View Post
Remember the reasoning behind george's name was that they liked those names...and that it wasn't any deeper than that.
Look, I know they said that, but they just happened to like the name of the Queen's father's regnal name, the middle name of the Queen (Alexandra), and the name of the late Lord Mountbatten, who got the Queen and DOE together and who was so near and dear to Charles' heart.

Think about it.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Look, I know they said that, but they just happened to like the name of the Queen's father's regnal name, the middle name of the Queen (Alexandra), and the name of the late Lord Mountbatten, who got the Queen and DOE together and who was so near and dear to Charles' heart.

Think about it.

So jaded, Giraffe.

I think when they said that they picked names they liked what they meant was they picked family names that they liked. I think we can expect the same with this child - family names that the Cambridges like. I doubt it'll be more than 3 names and I doubt any relative - with the possible exception of Diana - will be blatantly referenced in the name. George was more subtly named after people, and I think we can expect similar with this child.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Still, the point was that they stayed with family names.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect them to pick Magic Appleseed or something like that.
But, I do think they'll go with something like Victoria or James.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Magic Appleseed would be so awesome!

You're right Ish - I think they meant that they went with names they liked within their limited list.

With number 2, they can go a little farther afield. So I'm not as sure we can guess the name correctly.

I doubt we will see Diana in the name - unless it's the last in a string because one thing Will has made clear is that he does NOT want his kids in the media all the time - naming a child Diana would just invite more public attention (no matter how much he wishes to honor his mother).
Old 09-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Aristocracy

i have no doubt it will be a super traditional name girl or boy...i don't think they will get creative with it either..
Old 09-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Aristocracy

I still think that if anyone is going to use Diana's name for their future daughter, it will be Harry. Simply because she would not be the future monarch and would therefore be less on the public's radar. Yes, she'd still get a ton of attention, but nowhere near William and Catherine's children.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Albert of Cambridge

Princess Elizabeth of Cambridge
Old 09-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I too think William and Catherine will go for something more traditional this time like they did with George. I highly doubt James will be chosen for a first name, as we already have James Middleton and the Viscount Severn. The Daily Mail are saying that 'a close biographer' to the couple has said that Diana will be included amongst Baby Cambridge No. Two's set of names, but as it is The Daily Mail, I'm going to take that statement with a grain of salt - but do think it's very likely Diana will be in there somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
For a Princess: Sophia Alice Carole
Sophia, Electress of Hanover was the mother of George I.

For a Prince: Robert Duncan Malcolm
Robert, Duncan, and Malcolm are the names of Kings of Scotland.

Given the recent Scottish referendum, I doubt William and Catherine would only name their child after past Scottish Kings if it were a boy - even though the overall result was No, it might still be considered to be in poor taste, but perhaps that's just me. I like the idea of Princess Sophia of Cambridge though, and think Carole is a possibility, but would personally prefer the idea of Caroline to honour Catherine's mother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess B View Post
I really hope they have a girl and name her Victoria Charlotte Diana or these 3 names in any sequence.

I'd read somewhere that Charles and Diana wanted to name their daughter (if they had one) Victoria, so that would be a lovely tribute to not just Diana but Charles as well and one of the UK's most well known and longest reigning (atleast for the moment) monarch.

Diana because well William seems to honour his mums memory and I'd really like to see the name make a comeback. Though I feel they'll steer away from Diana and honour her in another way. I do see Harry using Diana for his daughter (if he has a daughter).

Charlotte - It's a lovely name and there's already been a Charlotte of Wales (this Princess will most likely become a princess of Wales when William becomes prince of Wales). It'll also be a nice nod to Charles and Carole (Charlotte is a variation of the 2 names). And for the Diana fanatics a nod to the Spencer family - the Earl Spencer's youngest daughter is Charlotte Diana.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Yes, I'd read that about Diana wanting Victoria for William had he been a girl too. I hadn't thought that about using Victoria to honour Diana because she liked it. I'm all for more unexpected ways of honouring relatives - some of my own favourites honour my mother, but are not necessarily derived from her name, but are instead connected to people, music, flowers or places she loves.

Whilst I adore Charlotte and think it's quite likely that it will be chosen, the Princess Charlotte in question died young, so perhaps they might consider it unlucky or something, like they do with John.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 09-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

We forum followers overthink the history of royal names IMO.

William - William of Glos died in a plane crash; another William was assasinated -but its not a problem

Henry - A young Prince Henry drowned; Henry VII usurped the throne; Henry VII was a tyrant (but good re the navy) - probably didnt cross their minds

George - Prince George of Kent was killed in a plane crash

David - Family name for the Prince of Wales/Edward VIII - didnt put off Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon

Charles - well - Charles I lost his head

Anne - 19 (some large number) pregnancies and no surviving child but not considered unlucky.

The windsors are a pragmatic bunch - if they like it, then they will use it. Nothing to do with "bad luck" or previous history.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-28-2014, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

William - William of Glos died in a plane crash; another William was assasinated -but its not a problem

Henry - A young Prince Henry drowned; Henry VII usurped the throne; Henry VII was a tyrant (but good re the navy) - probably didnt cross their minds

David - Family name for the Prince of Wales/Edward VIII - didnt put off Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon

Anne - 19 (some large number) pregnancies and no surviving child but not considered unlucky.i

The windsors are a pragmatic bunch - if they like it, then they will use it. Nothing to do with "bad luck" or previous history.
Which royal William was assassinated? Whilst I agree with most of your post, I do think some of the reasons as to why certain names like John are underused or not used at all within the RF is because they might consider them as unlucky (there was King John, who lost the Crown Jewels in the Wash [and who IMO was just not the greatest English King in general], Prince John, who died young of epilepsy, and Prince Alexander John, who died as a baby).

Old 09-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent

William II "Rufus"

Old 09-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
William II "Rufus"
Ah OK, thanks for the info. I don't know a lot about the medieval royals, which explains why I was unaware that it was William II who was the royal William who was assassinated.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Son of William I - not a good king.

In some ways, King John was the luckiest king, because why no one ever assassinated him is a miracle

I haven't put in my options so:-

Girl
Charlotte Rose
Eleanor Mary
Alice Frances

Boy
John Peter (John after William's grandfather)
Michael Charles
Philip Peter

Old 09-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As far as a name for a princess, I think they will go short, sweet and simple for the first name. Mary keeps popping into my mind. The thing about Mary is that so many other middle names roll off the tongue with it such as Mary Elizabeth, Mary Rose, Mary Frances, Mary Beth, Mary Lou. You get the idea.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Anne - 19 (some large number) pregnancies and no surviving child but not considered unlucky.

It's been said that Diana wanted to name William John (for her father) but the Queen was opposed because it's a bit of a jinxed name in the BRF. And it is - I think there's only been one Prince John in 1,000 years of history in both England and Scotland that didn't die young or have a less than great legacy. Both England and Scotland have exactly one King John, and both men are less than fondly remembered.

Other names in the BRF might be associated with one or two less than savoury characters or bad endings, but none with the frequency of John. The only other name that could be considered to be as "bad" in BRF history would be Oliver.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:09 PM
Gentry

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rticle-2772468

Found this whilst browsing. I'm sure it's just rumours and speculation, but who knows?
Old 09-29-2014, 12:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rticle-2772468

Found this whilst browsing. I'm sure it's just rumours and speculation, but who knows?

This is just rumours. The press is not going to know the gender of the baby unless a huge leak happens, and if Kate's still in her first trimester still then the gender can't be determined yet.

The rumours of "Kate's pregnant with a girl they're calling Diana" circulated when she was pregnant with George too. And when she wasn't pregnant as well. They'll probably circulate until Kate either gives birth to a girl they name Diana or is clearly past the age of having a child.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

What the heck are the chances that the Will/Kate camp has talked to Andrew Morton, off all people? Elizabeth Diana is just a good guess on his part.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:06 AM
Aristocracy

More ideas ...

Harriet Elizabeth Rose
Charlotte Elizabeth Frances
Ellen Victoria Mary

Edmund Charles Francis
Hugh James Henry
John Arthur Philip

Closed Thread