Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it very annoying that these ridiculous rumours about the name "Diana" and all still circulate... But I think it's amazing how poople believe in them

The media wants their Diana. I pity any child of theirs named Diana. She will always be compared to the POW and found lacking by the media.

Just like all the comparisons of Kate to Diana.

Does anyone really seriously think William would burden his child with his mother name, knowing full well that is what the media wants.

Hummm.

Girl: Pamela Frances. She could be Princess Pammy or Princess Fanny. Cute.

Boy: Arthur William Philip

Hummm.

Girl: Pamela Frances. She could be Princess Pammy or Princess Fanny. Cute.

Boy: Arthur William Philip

Ooohhh... not Fanny pleasy. I can already picture the articles in the DM. Especially when she grows up and starts going out. :D

Ooohhh... not Fanny pleasy. I can already picture the articles in the DM. Especially when she grows up and starts going out. :D

That's what I was thinking. I've never been a huge fan of Fanny, but now that it has unfortunate connotations, I think it would be unusable today, despite it being a rather popular or well known nickname for Frances in the past. I also doubt Pamela will be chosen - it just seems a tad too dated for a modern child (for me, there are certain names that instantly define what era a person was born in, and Pamela for me is firmly in the 50s or 60s), but of course William and Catherine could change that, but I don't think they will choose it as it doesn't sound very royal to me. Carole is different however, as it would be an honour name.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Diana-Dukes-mother-girl.html#article-2772468

Found this whilst browsing. I'm sure it's just rumours and speculation, but who knows?

Yes, I had mentioned the article in this post of mine. I couldn't post it as I was on my new laptop and in a rush at the time. By the way, I saw your post regarding your pregnancy - good luck and congratulations. :flowers: I think it is just The Daily Mail trying to make a fuss, but as I said before, I do think Diana is a likely option, but as a middle name only, because as others have said, it would be too much of a burden for Baby Cambridge No. Two to have it as their first name.

Last edited:
Sophia is a lovely name but is so overused here in the U.S. (most popular name if you count the variant Sofia. I hope they go with something a little underused.

Although, I have to say I love the name Anne-Sophia, which was the name of one of the daughters of Queen Anne, who of course died young. I doubt we will see this name as Anne is already in use, and there's Sophie Wessex.

Your not kidding.Sophia a so common now in the U.S. It's kind of lost it's luster and it's dash.
I also agree with Sophie and Anne they are not likely to be used.

Margaret could be another choice after Princess Margaret. Wasn't her name Margaret Rose? Something like that would be pretty.

By the way I love your avatar and username :flowers: I'm a gig giraffe fan:)

Does anyone really seriously think William would burden his child with his mother name, knowing full well that is what the media wants.

I agree Diana won't be used by William. I'm not even sure about Harry using it. The name didn't seem to catch on with Diana and it would be too much of a burden for any daughter of either William or Harry.

A name suitable for a prince or a princess HRH Cadbury Weetabix Bently of Cambridge.

Margaret could be another choice after Princess Margaret. Wasn't her name Margaret Rose? Something like that would be pretty.
:)

But there's Margarita Armstrong-Jones, who is Princess Margaret's own granddaughter. So I think that name is unlikely, too.

But there's Margarita Armstrong-Jones, who is Princess Margaret's own granddaughter. So I think that name is unlikely, too.

Yes that could be a little too close. I guess it depends on how much they go with a very traditional royal name.Not much of a chance the will be very creative.

I would still favor Alice or Victoria for a girl

I still don't know about a boy's name. Victor or Robert maybe. I'm not crazy about either but they could work.

Yes, I had mentioned the article in this post of mine. I couldn't post it as I was on my new laptop and in a rush at the time. By the way, I saw your post regarding your pregnancy - good luck and congratulations. :flowers: I think it is just The Daily Mail trying to make a fuss, but as I said before, I do think Diana is a likely option, but as a middle name only, because as others have said, it would be too much of a burden for Baby Cambridge No. Two to have it as their first name.

Sorry I missed where you posted the article! I've noticed the DailyMail is in the habit of releasing nonsensical stories just to get people worked up and talking. (I still remember when they claimed that Mrs. Middleton was throwing George a Jack Rabbit birthday party.) I figured the story was complete nonsense, but I always have fun reading it anyway. ;)

Thanks for the well wishes on my pregnancy! :)

A name suitable for a prince or a princess HRH Cadbury Weetabix Bently of Cambridge.
We need more laughs on the forums. IMHO. It's far better than arguing endlessly. Thanks. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

What the heck are the chances that the Will/Kate camp has talked to Andrew Morton, off all people? Elizabeth Diana is just a good guess on his part.
It is hard to believe that Morton has sources close to William.

I think Elizabeth Diana would be a lovely nod to both William's grandmother and mother. I don't know if anyone in Catherine's family is named Elizabeth or Diana.

I think both William and Harry will honor their mother in some way if either or both have a daughter. I go back and forth about whether they would use Diana as a first name. On one hand, it would be a lot of pressure. But after a while, when people hear "Princess Diana" they would think about the child rather than her grandmother. If this child is named Diana, by the time she is 20, no one under the age of 60 would have a first-hand memory of Diana. (that makes me feel old).

One solution that could be possible but very improbable is that they could use a variation of the name Diana such as Adianna. It would have the undercurrents of Diana's name but yet be unique to the Princess. Just an idea.

It is hard to believe that Morton has sources close to William.

I think Elizabeth Diana would be a lovely nod to both William's grandmother and mother. I don't know if anyone in Catherine's family is named Elizabeth or Diana.

I think both William and Harry will honor their mother in some way if either or both have a daughter. I go back and forth about whether they would use Diana as a first name. On one hand, it would be a lot of pressure. But after a while, when people hear "Princess Diana" they would think about the child rather than her grandmother. If this child is named Diana, by the time she is 20, no one under the age of 60 would have a first-hand memory of Diana. (that makes me feel old).

You definitely have to be of a certain age to understand the Diana Phenomenon. My children have no idea who she is.

One solution that could be possible but very improbable is that they could use a variation of the name Diana such as Adianna. It would have the undercurrents of Diana's name but yet be unique to the Princess. Just an idea.

They won't go that far out with the names.

Diana by itself is a lovely name. If they want to name a daughter Diana, I think we will all get over it, and as is pointed out, within just a year or two this child will have her own identity and only us oldies will associate her with her grandmother. Her contemporaries won't.

Princess Adelaide Mary Elizabeth

Prince Augustus Albert Ernest

You definitely have to be of a certain age to understand the Diana Phenomenon. My children have no idea who she is.

They won't go that far out with the names.

Diana by itself is a lovely name. If they want to name a daughter Diana, I think we will all get over it, and as is pointed out, within just a year or two this child will have her own identity and only us oldies will associate her with her grandmother. Her contemporaries won't.

There was a typo in my original post, I meant to say by the time this child turns 20, no one under the age of 50 will have first-hand memories of Diana--she will have been gone for about 40 years by that time. Life goes on.

It's natural to name a child after someone in the family, whether that person is living or dead. Both William and Harry are very aware of the Diana phenomenon. If one or both still decide to honor their mother by giving their daughter her first name, more power to them. If only one does so, I hope it is Harry--William took the engagement ring.

Last edited:
I like looking at the betting odds. :flowers:

LINK: Royal baby name? 500-to-1 odds on 'Macbeth' - Money - TODAY.com

10/1 are the names Victoria, Mary, Elizabeth. Coming in second at 12/1 are Charlotte and Alexandra. I am partial to Charlotte (and Alexandra). BTW Diana is 25/1.

For boys names the lead at 10/1 is Philip, followed second at 12/1 with Arthur and Charles.

Looking at the above I think we're coming into a popular time for the name Charlotte, so I'm going to go with the three names: Charlotte, Alexandra, Elizabeth, in whatever order.

For boys I think Philip is almost a dead certainty, so would go with Philip Arthur Charles as a nice gesture.

For a Prince: Frederick Edward Thomas

For a Princess: Cecily Frederica Elizabeth
Cecily, Duchess of York was the mother of King Edward IV.

For a Prince: Michael Claude Arthur
Claude is the first name of Claude George Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, the maternal grandfather of Queen Elizabeth II.

For a Princess: Claudia Ruth Diana
Claudia is a feminine equivalent of Claude, the first name of the 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne.
Ruth is the first name of Ruth Roche, Baroness Fermoy, the maternal grandmother of Diana, Princess of Wales.

Nice choices for girls but too far out for them. Boy's names - possible.

I like looking at the betting odds. :flowers:

LINK: Royal baby name? 500-to-1 odds on 'Macbeth' - Money - TODAY.com

10/1 are the names Victoria, Mary, Elizabeth. Coming in second at 12/1 are Charlotte and Alexandra. I am partial to Charlotte (and Alexandra). BTW Diana is 25/1.

For boys names the lead at 10/1 is Philip, followed second at 12/1 with Arthur and Charles.

Looking at the above I think we're coming into a popular time for the name Charlotte, so I'm going to go with the three names: Charlotte, Alexandra, Elizabeth, in whatever order.

For boys I think Philip is almost a dead certainty, so would go with Philip Arthur Charles as a nice gesture.

Certainly possible for either gender.

Last edited:
Alice Charlotte Diana
Alice Elizabeth Diana

Charlotte Alice Diana
Charlotte Elizabeth Diana

Adelaide Elizabeth Diana
Adelaide Diana Alice

or Alice Charlotte Adelaide in any configuration

Arthur Henry Charles
Arthur Charles Michael
Arthur James Henry

Alice Charlotte Diana
Alice Elizabeth Diana

Charlotte Alice Diana

Adelaide Elizabeth Diana
Adelaide Diana Alice

or Alice Charlotte Adelaide in any configuration

Arthur Henry Charles
Arthur Charles Michael
Arthur James Henry

I love all of those for a girl. My top personal choices are Charlotte, Alice and Adelaide as well, and I think we would see Elizabeth and Diana as second and third name

Alice Elizabeth Diana
Alice Diana Elizabeth

Adelaide Elizabeth Diana
Adelaide Diana Elizabeth

Charlotte Diana Elizabeth (hmmm... too close to the Spencer kid)

The most melodious to me are the Adelaide/Alice combos. I love Charlotte, but I have to give it to the other two. My guess is they would choose Alice over Adelaide for two reasons: 1) Alice is the name of Phillip's mother, and it honors him. Princess Alice I believe also did a lot to help Jews during the Holocaust as well, so she is a fine figure to honor. 2) I think that this couple favor simple, yet traditional, which is why I see Alice over Adelaide.

I'm not too keen on Arthur, but I know a lot of British like it and given it's history within the family, it's fitting

Actually I like the idea of Diana Elizabeth or Elisabeth Diana as second and third name, but as first one my choice would be...

Mary

And for a boy: James.

I have always loved this for a name for a little girl and would be perfect for a little Princess IMO...

Elizabeth Katherine Rose

The K is just my personal preference of how to spell Katherine & also think it gives it a really lovely elegant look too. Saying that, I do know in this case, if it does end up being used, it will be spelled w/a C. :D. All three are Windsor Family Names too, so another plus. :)

For a little Prince...

David Michael Patrick

David for Wales, Michael for his Maternal Grandpa & Patrick for Ireland/Irish Guards.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I have also been considering Andrew for them too...It is William's uncle's name via his Greek grandfather Philip...And it is also the place where William and Catherine met, St. Andrews in Scotland and given the recent referendum, there should be a nod to the Scots...

Andrew Charles Michael

Am I wrong?

I have also been considering Andrew for them too...It is William's uncle's name via his Greek grandfather Philip...And it is also the place where William and Catherine met, St. Andrews in Scotland and given the recent referendum, there should be a nod to the Scots...

Andrew Charles Michael

Am I wrong?

They almost never name a child after a currently living family member. An exception might be made for Phillip, to honor him at the end of his life, but they're not going to name a baby after one of William's aunts or uncles if they follow the normal pattern.

Isn't Ian the Scottish equivalent of the dreaded John, though?
I do think that Kate and William will go for something traditional but vaguely trendy that is a reasonably common name among their set, Charlotte, for instance. I love the name Rupert, as in 'Rupert of the Rhine', which I think is very romantic, but many would think Rupert Bear. They are more like to go for something like Frederick ('Freddie') or Arthur.

Possible names for the 2nd child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If they went with Frederick, then their two kids are named after the Weasley twins from Harry Potter.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If they went with Frederick, then their two kids are named after the Weasley twins from Harry Potter.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The family already has a Bill (William), Charlie (Charles), and a Harry. And there's a good share of Arthurs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom