The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What will be the gender of William and Catherine's 1st baby?
A boy 67 26.38%
A girl 109 42.91%
Twins - a boy and a girl 13 5.12%
Twin boys 1 0.39%
Twin girls 10 3.94%
As long as the baby is healthy, it doesn't matter! 54 21.26%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post

Actually Great Britain is England, Scotland, and Wales, while the United Kingdom includes 33 realms, such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and all of GB. I have read that HM has the last say about the names of prince/ss. Even though I do not believe common sense has anything to do with naming the unborn prince/ss the D/DoCa I am sure have enough common sense to suggest an appropriate name for their newborn.Thanx for your opinion though.
Actually......no. Great Britain is the big island which includes England, Scotland, and Wales, and, for political purposes, all the little islands near it which form part of England, Scotland, and Wales. The United Kingdom is Great Britain plus Northern Island. The realms are not part of the United Kingdom. If we were, it would be a helluva lot easier to travel there and live and work there than it is for us now.

As for the baby/babies, I'm hoping for a girl, or twin girls for a bit of sport.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

Actually......no. Great Britain is the big island which includes England, Scotland, and Wales, and, for political purposes, all the little islands near it which form part of England, Scotland, and Wales. The United Kingdom is Great Britain plus Northern Island. The realms are not part of the United Kingdom. If we were, it would be a helluva lot easier to travel there and live and work there than it is for us now.

As for the baby/babies, I'm hoping for a girl, or twin girls for a bit of sport.

The United Kingdom includes GB, Northern Ireland, and 14 commonwealth realms.
If she has twins, the elder of the duo will be the future monarch anyway, so whether she is with one child or twins, it matters not.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 AM
Nobility

Canadians, as a general rule, do NOT like to be called 'Americans,' according to my former Canadian boss. They consider it almost to be an insult. Just for the record.:-)
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Canadians, as a general rule, do NOT like to be called 'Americans,' according to my former Canadian boss. They consider it almost to be an insult. Just for the record.:-)
Oh I would agree with you there. Usually when one hears "American" they picture one from the USA. I was just stating that geographically Canada is considered a part of North America.

Anyhoo...interesting class in geography but not much to do with Baby Cambridge's gender guessing.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 AM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=NotHRH;1502343]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

I'm pretty sure NGalitzine realises that both Charles and William are males, however she wishes for the child to be a future King not Queen. Great Britain is in the United Kingdom, they are not two separate places. There can be a Queen in her own right, we have one now. I presume you mean the whole succesion stuff.

The poster in question is not from America, her location clearly states Canada and the UK. Your geograhy is off.

Nobody knows that for fact. IMO A name is suitable if it doesn't sound stupid after the word Prince or Princess. The Queen shouldn't have to educate her grandchildren on common sense.[/QUOT

Actually Great Britain is England, Scotland, and Wales, while the United Kingdom includes 33 realms, such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and all of GB. I have read that HM has the last say about the names of prince/ss. Even though I do not believe common sense has anything to do with naming the unborn prince/ss the D/DoCa I am sure have enough common sense to suggest an appropriate name for their newborn.Thanx for your opinion though.
I am quite aware of what makes up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and I can assure you that Canada, Australia and New Zealand are not part of it. You are confusing the UK with the Commonwealth.

For the record I am male,
Old 01-07-2013, 01:14 AM
Serene Highness

Lumutqueen, You should do some fact checking before commenting
Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The United Kingdom includes GB, Northern Ireland, and 14 commonwealth realms.
The United Kingdom means Great Britain and Northern Ireland: Interpretation Act 1978 (UK), as amended, Schedule 1: http://www.bailii.org/uk/legis/num_a...8/1978030.html.

There are currently 16 Commonwealth Realms, all of which have HM Queen Elizabeth II as their monarch, and the UK is one of them.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
How very American in sentiment....
How did my sentiment in favour of a future King become American? I am a Brit who divides their time for work purposes between the UK and Canada, neither of which are part of the US.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 AM
Heir Apparent

<capproaches the podium... taps the microphone.. and says "is this thing on?"

CLASS DISMISSED FOR RECESS! Cookies and milk are being served on the playground for all good boys and girls.

Hadda do it.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Sorry folks.... guess I picked a bad day to quit smoking eh? Just was trying to insert a wee bit of humor here but realize it could sound sanctimonious.

Carry on...
Old 01-07-2013, 02:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh, no. Definitely funny, not sanctimonious.

Really giving up smoking? I remember how hard that is. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Sorry folks.... guess I picked a bad day to quit smoking eh? Just was trying to insert a wee bit of humor here but realize it could sound sanctimonious.

Carry on...

Does the perfect day for quitting smoking exist? :-)?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post

I am quite aware of what makes up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and I can assure you that Canada, Australia and New Zealand are not part of it. You are confusing the UK with the Commonwealth.

For the record I am male,
My apologies for the gender mistake, and I hope your UK/Commonwealth answer was not directed at me, as i'm the one that pointed out the difference between GB and the UK. Thanks though.

To other people on this thread:

Great Britain constitutes England, Wales and Scotland and the surrounding islands. The United Kingdom adds Northern Ireland into the mix. The United Kingdom is part of the Commonwealth of Nations, and it is a Commonwealth Realm. Neither Great Britain nor the UK include the Commonwealth Realms.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Commoner

Quote:
<capproaches the podium... taps the microphone.. and says "is this thing on?"

CLASS DISMISSED FOR RECESS! Cookies and milk are being served on the playground for all good boys and girls.

Hadda do it.

I'm a bit late but do you have any leftover??
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
How did my sentiment in favour of a future King become American? I am a Brit who divides their time for work purposes between the UK and Canada, neither of which are part of the US.
For the record, my posts are meant in good fun, and I hope you will take my "dig" at you in the spirit it was intended.

My point, however, was your comment that Will and Kate could name their baby Victoria notwithstanding CP Victoria of Sweden because she is an unknown and this baby has been world famous from the moment of conception. That's something an American would think regarding some famous American.

However, I do agree with you that Will and Kate should name their child what they wish within the limited selection suitable for a future monarch, notwithstanding all of the other future monarchs running around the planet. If they feel Victoria is the best choice based upon personal preference, history, and general sentiment of the child's future subjects, then I quite agree that these considerations should prevail over the royals of other nations. Nobody would suggest this child should not be named Elizabeth, notwithstanding the fact that there is a 9 year old future Queen in Belgium by that name.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Oh I would agree with you there. Usually when one hears "American" they picture one from the USA. I was just stating that geographically Canada is considered a part of North America.
Certainly fine to state that Canada is considered part of North America and I know that you meant it that way.

However, just a heads up - if speaking directly to a Canadian and you refer to them as an "American" you will find yourself being chased by an angry hockey stick wielding Canadian.

Anyway, I hope that William and Kate - if they have a girl - don't use "Diana" as one of the middle names. Frances for a middle name, but Diana - no.

However, it somehow seems appropriate, if down the road, Harry names a daughter with a middle name of Diana. She was his mother too.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Carry on...
Always a good day to quit smoking, Osipi. Well done!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal View Post
Certainly fine to state that Canada is considered part of North America and I know that you meant it that way.

However, just a heads up - if speaking directly to a Canadian and you refer to them as an "American" you will find yourself being chased by an angry hockey stick wielding Canadian.

Anyway, I hope that William and Kate - if they have a girl - don't use "Diana" as one of the middle names. Frances for a middle name, but Diana - no.

However, it somehow seems appropriate, if down the road, Harry names a daughter with a middle name of Diana. She was his mother too.
May I ask why you think it is appropriate for Harry to name his child after his late mother, but not William? I actually think W and C will use Diana. It may be his way of 'giving her back the HRH' as William said so long ago.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
May I ask why you think it is appropriate for Harry to name his child after his late mother, but not William? I actually think W and C will use Diana. It may be his way of 'giving her back the HRH' as William said so long ago.
Nowhere have I stated that it wouldn't be appropriate for William to name his child after his late mother.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, first baby, prince william