The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What will be the gender of William and Catherine's 1st baby?
A boy 67 26.38%
A girl 109 42.91%
Twins - a boy and a girl 13 5.12%
Twin boys 1 0.39%
Twin girls 10 3.94%
As long as the baby is healthy, it doesn't matter! 54 21.26%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #141  
Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post

Actually Great Britain is England, Scotland, and Wales, while the United Kingdom includes 33 realms, such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and all of GB. I have read that HM has the last say about the names of prince/ss. Even though I do not believe common sense has anything to do with naming the unborn prince/ss the D/DoCa I am sure have enough common sense to suggest an appropriate name for their newborn.Thanx for your opinion though.
Actually......no. Great Britain is the big island which includes England, Scotland, and Wales, and, for political purposes, all the little islands near it which form part of England, Scotland, and Wales. The United Kingdom is Great Britain plus Northern Island. The realms are not part of the United Kingdom. If we were, it would be a helluva lot easier to travel there and live and work there than it is for us now.

As for the baby/babies, I'm hoping for a girl, or twin girls for a bit of sport.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 AM
NotHRH's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

Actually......no. Great Britain is the big island which includes England, Scotland, and Wales, and, for political purposes, all the little islands near it which form part of England, Scotland, and Wales. The United Kingdom is Great Britain plus Northern Island. The realms are not part of the United Kingdom. If we were, it would be a helluva lot easier to travel there and live and work there than it is for us now.

As for the baby/babies, I'm hoping for a girl, or twin girls for a bit of sport.

The United Kingdom includes GB, Northern Ireland, and 14 commonwealth realms.
If she has twins, the elder of the duo will be the future monarch anyway, so whether she is with one child or twins, it matters not.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 AM
NotHRH's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
Posts: 264
Canadians, as a general rule, do NOT like to be called 'Americans,' according to my former Canadian boss. They consider it almost to be an insult. Just for the record.:-)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Canadians, as a general rule, do NOT like to be called 'Americans,' according to my former Canadian boss. They consider it almost to be an insult. Just for the record.:-)
Oh I would agree with you there. Usually when one hears "American" they picture one from the USA. I was just stating that geographically Canada is considered a part of North America.

Anyhoo...interesting class in geography but not much to do with Baby Cambridge's gender guessing.
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
[QUOTE=NotHRH;1502343]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

I'm pretty sure NGalitzine realises that both Charles and William are males, however she wishes for the child to be a future King not Queen. Great Britain is in the United Kingdom, they are not two separate places. There can be a Queen in her own right, we have one now. I presume you mean the whole succesion stuff.

The poster in question is not from America, her location clearly states Canada and the UK. Your geograhy is off.

Nobody knows that for fact. IMO A name is suitable if it doesn't sound stupid after the word Prince or Princess. The Queen shouldn't have to educate her grandchildren on common sense.[/QUOT

Actually Great Britain is England, Scotland, and Wales, while the United Kingdom includes 33 realms, such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and all of GB. I have read that HM has the last say about the names of prince/ss. Even though I do not believe common sense has anything to do with naming the unborn prince/ss the D/DoCa I am sure have enough common sense to suggest an appropriate name for their newborn.Thanx for your opinion though.
I am quite aware of what makes up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and I can assure you that Canada, Australia and New Zealand are not part of it. You are confusing the UK with the Commonwealth.

For the record I am male,
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:14 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,181
Lumutqueen, You should do some fact checking before commenting
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
The United Kingdom includes GB, Northern Ireland, and 14 commonwealth realms.
The United Kingdom means Great Britain and Northern Ireland: Interpretation Act 1978 (UK), as amended, Schedule 1: http://www.bailii.org/uk/legis/num_a...8/1978030.html.

There are currently 16 Commonwealth Realms, all of which have HM Queen Elizabeth II as their monarch, and the UK is one of them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
How very American in sentiment....
How did my sentiment in favour of a future King become American? I am a Brit who divides their time for work purposes between the UK and Canada, neither of which are part of the US.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,892
<capproaches the podium... taps the microphone.. and says "is this thing on?"

CLASS DISMISSED FOR RECESS! Cookies and milk are being served on the playground for all good boys and girls.

Hadda do it.
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:43 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,671
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Sorry folks.... guess I picked a bad day to quit smoking eh? Just was trying to insert a wee bit of humor here but realize it could sound sanctimonious.

Carry on...
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 01-07-2013, 02:04 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,671
Oh, no. Definitely funny, not sanctimonious.

Really giving up smoking? I remember how hard that is. Good luck!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 01-07-2013, 02:58 AM
NotHRH's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Sorry folks.... guess I picked a bad day to quit smoking eh? Just was trying to insert a wee bit of humor here but realize it could sound sanctimonious.

Carry on...

Does the perfect day for quitting smoking exist? :-)?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 01-07-2013, 05:16 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post

I am quite aware of what makes up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and I can assure you that Canada, Australia and New Zealand are not part of it. You are confusing the UK with the Commonwealth.

For the record I am male,
My apologies for the gender mistake, and I hope your UK/Commonwealth answer was not directed at me, as i'm the one that pointed out the difference between GB and the UK. Thanks though.


To other people on this thread:

Great Britain constitutes England, Wales and Scotland and the surrounding islands. The United Kingdom adds Northern Ireland into the mix. The United Kingdom is part of the Commonwealth of Nations, and it is a Commonwealth Realm. Neither Great Britain nor the UK include the Commonwealth Realms.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Bensgal's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indianapolis, United States
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
<capproaches the podium... taps the microphone.. and says "is this thing on?"

CLASS DISMISSED FOR RECESS! Cookies and milk are being served on the playground for all good boys and girls.

Hadda do it.

I'm a bit late but do you have any leftover??
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
How did my sentiment in favour of a future King become American? I am a Brit who divides their time for work purposes between the UK and Canada, neither of which are part of the US.
For the record, my posts are meant in good fun, and I hope you will take my "dig" at you in the spirit it was intended.

My point, however, was your comment that Will and Kate could name their baby Victoria notwithstanding CP Victoria of Sweden because she is an unknown and this baby has been world famous from the moment of conception. That's something an American would think regarding some famous American.

However, I do agree with you that Will and Kate should name their child what they wish within the limited selection suitable for a future monarch, notwithstanding all of the other future monarchs running around the planet. If they feel Victoria is the best choice based upon personal preference, history, and general sentiment of the child's future subjects, then I quite agree that these considerations should prevail over the royals of other nations. Nobody would suggest this child should not be named Elizabeth, notwithstanding the fact that there is a 9 year old future Queen in Belgium by that name.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM
CanRoyal's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Coast, Canada
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Oh I would agree with you there. Usually when one hears "American" they picture one from the USA. I was just stating that geographically Canada is considered a part of North America.
Certainly fine to state that Canada is considered part of North America and I know that you meant it that way.

However, just a heads up - if speaking directly to a Canadian and you refer to them as an "American" you will find yourself being chased by an angry hockey stick wielding Canadian.

Anyway, I hope that William and Kate - if they have a girl - don't use "Diana" as one of the middle names. Frances for a middle name, but Diana - no.

However, it somehow seems appropriate, if down the road, Harry names a daughter with a middle name of Diana. She was his mother too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 PM
scooter's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Sorry folks.... guess I picked a bad day to quit smoking eh? Just was trying to insert a wee bit of humor here but realize it could sound sanctimonious.

Carry on...
Always a good day to quit smoking, Osipi. Well done!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:17 PM
scooter's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal View Post
Certainly fine to state that Canada is considered part of North America and I know that you meant it that way.

However, just a heads up - if speaking directly to a Canadian and you refer to them as an "American" you will find yourself being chased by an angry hockey stick wielding Canadian.

Anyway, I hope that William and Kate - if they have a girl - don't use "Diana" as one of the middle names. Frances for a middle name, but Diana - no.

However, it somehow seems appropriate, if down the road, Harry names a daughter with a middle name of Diana. She was his mother too.
May I ask why you think it is appropriate for Harry to name his child after his late mother, but not William? I actually think W and C will use Diana. It may be his way of 'giving her back the HRH' as William said so long ago.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 PM
CanRoyal's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Coast, Canada
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
May I ask why you think it is appropriate for Harry to name his child after his late mother, but not William? I actually think W and C will use Diana. It may be his way of 'giving her back the HRH' as William said so long ago.
Nowhere have I stated that it wouldn't be appropriate for William to name his child after his late mother.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duchess of cambridge, first baby, prince william


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman pom president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess letizia princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit the hague wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:02 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]