Poll : Kate & William's First Baby

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What will be the gender of William and Catherine's 1st baby?

• A boy

Votes: 67 26.5%
  • A girl

Votes: 109 43.1%
  • Twins - a boy and a girl

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Twin boys

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Twin girls

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • As long as the baby is healthy, it doesn't matter!

Votes: 54 21.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Diana is a beautiful name.

For all her troubles and foibles, Diana was a loving, and beloved, mother. Wouldn't surprise me at all. She was only in the headlines (during her lifetime) for fewer than 20 years. She's been dead for 15 years now and Kate's the popular favourite now. If William and Kate's first child is a girl and they name her Diana, in another 20 years or so the grandmother will be a historical figure and the beautiful young princess will have long taken her place in the people's hearts. The name shouldn't be associated - perhaps tainted by that association, depending on your POV - with only one person indefinitely. And the current Queen was named after her mother.

The "problem" is that if the child is called Diana, all the past will be raked over, marriage, divorce, lovers, death - the whole of it all over the press at a time when the focus should be on the baby and the Cambridges. It just isn't the right thing to do for the first baby girl. Even 2nd or 3rd names will do the same thing.

The "problem" is that if the child is called Diana, all the past will be raked over, marriage, divorce, lovers, death - the whole of it all over the press at a time when the focus should be on the baby and the Cambridges. It just isn't the right thing to do for the first baby girl. Even 2nd or 3rd names will do the same thing.

You make a fair point. I suppose I was just rather hoping that all that could be put to rest with a baby girl named Diana. A line in the sand, if you will.

It seems that the name Diana can't be brought up without pandemonium, which I guess would weigh in favor of NOT naming her Diana.

However, when you look at it logically, we're all people of a certain age. I remember all of the Diana years, from the engagement to her death. My kids, born after her death, could not tell you who she is. This baby's contemporaries will really not be able to tell you much about her either. Diana's been gone 15 years. At times I think it's only us royal watchers (which is a minority) really give her much thought.

That said, I still gravitate towards this baby getting his or her own name, without any baggage, or anything to live up to. This would include Diana, Charles, Elizabeth, and some others not readily off the top of my head.

Funny thing is, from what I can see, this baby is due very near Diana's own birthday. It's very possible they could have a baby girl who is the spitting image of her grandmother, and born on July 1. There are loons out there who will insist she is a reincarnation.

As for the Queen nixing Diana as a first name. I don't think that will deter Will. I doubt the Queen would disallow Diana in a string of names. There's nothing to stop Will and Kate from calling her at home by a second, third or fourth name. She'd always therefore think of herself as "Diana". When she takes the throne that would be most likely the name she would take.

Just my two cents. If Will wants to name her Diana, by golly, he will name her Diana. And let's hope for the baby's sake that none of this "baggage" stuff comes to pass.

Diana Victoria Elizabeth Caroline wouldn't surprise me. Why Caroline? I can't see Carole making the final cut.

I hope they use Caroline instead of Carole, but again, I also hoped that Victoria and Daniel would've scrapped Ewa and that ... well, that didn't happen :cool: :p Caroline goes better with the kind of classic and traditional names I think William and Catherine will use than Carole does.

If they have a girl, im sure Diana will be one of the name, but not the first name;)

I agree on Caroline rather than Carole.

I think Catherine itself is a beautiful, unused and traditional name, perfect for a reigning queen. But I don't see them using it as her first name. Carol(ine)/Catherine as a first name would cause the apoplexy among the DM readership.

If you were to ask an American, following distinctly American values what name to give this child, I'd go with Caroline for a girl. Carole Middleton is one of those very "American" success stories. Born into public housing - a council estate I believe it's called, she decided she was not going to end up there. That takes some doing as most people stay inert. First as a flight attendant then utilizing her talent and selling party pieces. Through hard work and determination this council estate girl has seen her daughter married to the heir to the British throne and her first grandchild a future monarch. That's a very "American" fairy tale.

For a boy; perhaps Michael then, following the same line of thinking. Someone suggested Spencer, which would NEVER be used in reality but that's a very American thing to do as well - Spencer for a boy or a girl. If they were from the American South, Michael Spencer, and referred to be his second name for all time, or "Spence."

In my opinion, middle names are the place to honour your parents unless a parent has passed away. This child should start it's life with it's own name, unique and not containing any hint of baggage.

For the record, my posts are meant in good fun, and I hope you will take my "dig" at you in the spirit it was intended.

My point, however, was your comment that Will and Kate could name their baby Victoria notwithstanding CP Victoria of Sweden because she is an unknown and this baby has been world famous from the moment of conception. That's something an American would think regarding some famous American.

However, I do agree with you that Will and Kate should name their child what they wish within the limited selection suitable for a future monarch, notwithstanding all of the other future monarchs running around the planet. If they feel Victoria is the best choice based upon personal preference, history, and general sentiment of the child's future subjects, then I quite agree that these considerations should prevail over the royals of other nations. Nobody would suggest this child should not be named Elizabeth, notwithstanding the fact that there is a 9 year old future Queen in Belgium by that name.

Actually, her name is 'Elisabeth,' not 'Elizabeth.' Though pronounced the same, it is spelled differently.

I hope the name is Princess Diana. I'd love to.

I agree on Caroline rather than Carole.

I think Catherine itself is a beautiful, unused and traditional name, perfect for a reigning queen. But I don't see them using it as her first name. Carol(ine)/Catherine as a first name would cause the apoplexy among the DM readership.

If you were to ask an American, following distinctly American values what name to give this child, I'd go with Caroline for a girl. Carole Middleton is one of those very "American" success stories. Born into public housing - a council estate I believe it's called, she decided she was not going to end up there. That takes some doing as most people stay inert. First as a flight attendant then utilizing her talent and selling party pieces. Through hard work and determination this council estate girl has seen her daughter married to the heir to the British throne and her first grandchild a future monarch. That's a very "American" fairy tale.

For a boy; perhaps Michael then, following the same line of thinking. Someone suggested Spencer, which would NEVER be used in reality but that's a very American thing to do as well - Spencer for a boy or a girl. If they were from the American South, Michael Spencer, and referred to be his second name for all time, or "Spence."

I live in the state of Louisiana, which is in the southern US. I do not understand why you believe 'Michael Spencer' would be a name used in the southern US. What does the name 'Spence' have to do with the south? Just wondering!

I live in the state of Louisiana, which is in the southern US. I do not understand why you believe 'Michael Spencer' would be a name used in the southern US. What does the name 'Spence' have to do with the south? Just wondering!

I'm guessing here, but using a family last name as a middle or second name such as Spencer which as we know was Diana's family name is not uncommon. My mother's middle name was a family last name, her family is from North Carolina.

I'm guessing here, but using a family last name as a middle or second name such as Spencer which as we know was Diana's family name is not uncommon. My mother's middle name was a family last name, her family is from North Carolina.

Bingo!

I'm in the South too, and family names used as given names is distinctly American, mostly Southern. It's very uncommon in Britain and unheard of in the BRF.

According to my calculation based on chinese calendar, it's a girl! :)

A girl :)

I can see -
Mary Elizabeth Diana Caroline
Victoria Elizabeth Diana Caroline
Diana Elizabeth Caroline Charlotte
Caroline Elizabeth Diana Charlotte

I'd absolutely loved to see -
Alice Elizabeth Margaret Rose
Grace Catherine Elizabeth Frances
Theresa Mary Elizabeth Catherine

Other modern names -
Olivia, Lauren, Alexis, Alyssa, Ashley, Isabella, Gabrielle, Emmeline

Names I've a hard time seeing -
Alexandra, Augusta, Helena, Victoria (yes), Marie, Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise (existing)

Interesting names -
Maud, Sybil (Sibylla), Caroline Matilda, Amelia, Adelaide (not British)

Last edited:
I think that William and Catherine are going to have a girl. Regarding it's names, I can imagine that Victoria, Elizabeth, Mary, Caroline (as a middle name) and Diana (as a middle name) will be in there somewhere. I'd also like to see names like Sophia, Charlotte, Adelaide, Amelia and Rose feature as well, I think they're very pretty.

Last edited:
It would be funny if she had twin boys, that would really buck the conventional wisdom. :p

Don't think Kate is going to have twins. If she does, that will be a real surprise. I think she will have a girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom