Poll : Kate & William's First Baby

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What will be the gender of William and Catherine's 1st baby?

• A boy

Votes: 67 26.5%
  • A girl

Votes: 109 43.1%
  • Twins - a boy and a girl

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Twin boys

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Twin girls

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • As long as the baby is healthy, it doesn't matter!

Votes: 54 21.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry folks.... guess I picked a bad day to quit smoking eh? Just was trying to insert a wee bit of humor here but realize it could sound sanctimonious.

Carry on...

:previous: Oh, no. Definitely funny, not sanctimonious.

Really giving up smoking? I remember how hard that is. Good luck!

Sorry folks.... guess I picked a bad day to quit smoking eh? Just was trying to insert a wee bit of humor here but realize it could sound sanctimonious.

Carry on...

Does the perfect day for quitting smoking exist? :)?

I am quite aware of what makes up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and I can assure you that Canada, Australia and New Zealand are not part of it. You are confusing the UK with the Commonwealth.

For the record I am male,

My apologies for the gender mistake, and I hope your UK/Commonwealth answer was not directed at me, as i'm the one that pointed out the difference between GB and the UK. Thanks though. :flowers:

To other people on this thread:

Great Britain constitutes England, Wales and Scotland and the surrounding islands. The United Kingdom adds Northern Ireland into the mix. The United Kingdom is part of the Commonwealth of Nations, and it is a Commonwealth Realm. Neither Great Britain nor the UK include the Commonwealth Realms.

Last edited:
<capproaches the podium... taps the microphone.. and says "is this thing on?"

CLASS DISMISSED FOR RECESS! Cookies and milk are being served on the playground for all good boys and girls.

Hadda do it. :cool:

I'm a bit late but do you have any leftover?? :)

How did my sentiment in favour of a future King become American? I am a Brit who divides their time for work purposes between the UK and Canada, neither of which are part of the US.

For the record, my posts are meant in good fun, and I hope you will take my "dig" at you in the spirit it was intended.

My point, however, was your comment that Will and Kate could name their baby Victoria notwithstanding CP Victoria of Sweden because she is an unknown and this baby has been world famous from the moment of conception. That's something an American would think regarding some famous American.

However, I do agree with you that Will and Kate should name their child what they wish within the limited selection suitable for a future monarch, notwithstanding all of the other future monarchs running around the planet. If they feel Victoria is the best choice based upon personal preference, history, and general sentiment of the child's future subjects, then I quite agree that these considerations should prevail over the royals of other nations. Nobody would suggest this child should not be named Elizabeth, notwithstanding the fact that there is a 9 year old future Queen in Belgium by that name.

Oh I would agree with you there. Usually when one hears "American" they picture one from the USA. I was just stating that geographically Canada is considered a part of North America.
Certainly fine to state that Canada is considered part of North America and I know that you meant it that way.

However, just a heads up - if speaking directly to a Canadian and you refer to them as an "American" you will find yourself being chased by an angry hockey stick wielding Canadian. ;)

Anyway, I hope that William and Kate - if they have a girl - don't use "Diana" as one of the middle names. Frances for a middle name, but Diana - no.

However, it somehow seems appropriate, if down the road, Harry names a daughter with a middle name of Diana. She was his mother too.

Last edited:

Carry on...

Always a good day to quit smoking, Osipi. Well done!

Certainly fine to state that Canada is considered part of North America and I know that you meant it that way.

However, just a heads up - if speaking directly to a Canadian and you refer to them as an "American" you will find yourself being chased by an angry hockey stick wielding Canadian. ;)

Anyway, I hope that William and Kate - if they have a girl - don't use "Diana" as one of the middle names. Frances for a middle name, but Diana - no.

However, it somehow seems appropriate, if down the road, Harry names a daughter with a middle name of Diana. She was his mother too.

May I ask why you think it is appropriate for Harry to name his child after his late mother, but not William? I actually think W and C will use Diana. It may be his way of 'giving her back the HRH' as William said so long ago.

May I ask why you think it is appropriate for Harry to name his child after his late mother, but not William? I actually think W and C will use Diana. It may be his way of 'giving her back the HRH' as William said so long ago.

Nowhere have I stated that it wouldn't be appropriate for William to name his child after his late mother.

]However, just a heads up - if speaking directly to a Canadian and you refer to them as an "American" you will find yourself being chased by an angry hockey stick wielding Canadian. ;)

Drats! I wish I had known this years ago. I could have used it at the stadium and get chased by Detroit Red Wings!! Actually back in those days I used to cross the bridge from Detroit to Windsor, Ontario a lot and had a specific question that would tell me if a guy was from the US or Canada. "What's your favorite sport?" A guy from the US 99.9% of the time said football. :D

scooter said:
I actually think W and C will use Diana. It may be his way of 'giving her back the HRH' as William said so long ago.

I remember William being quoted as saying that. However, I think as he grew older he realized that giving someone HRH posthumously is not something that could be done on a whim because one wants it to be so. It would create quite a bit of sticky business. I do agree that somehow, someway, both William and Harry will honor their mother when naming their children and keep her memory recounting to their children what their late grandmother was like.

Scooter, I think it very possible that Will and Kate will name a daughter Diana because, as you say, it could be Will's way of giving his mother the "HRH" back - and possibly the "HM" she never had. It's also possible he doesn't think this way. We don't know how the wheels turn in his head.

However, I think it clear that the child's name will be a very telling into Will's psyche, and to some extent Kate's. Generally speaking, it's my experience that the mom names the baby and the dad's involvement is more or less veto power, and some suggestions. However, these are special circumstances, and I think Will's ideas and even the Queen's ideas will take precedence here. I just see Kate as more of a "live and let live" kinda gal, while Will is more forceful in his opinions. Of course I don't know, it's just how I see them and their relationship. There's always a more dominant partner, and it tends to work most of the time for most people.

I am sure that William and Kate will name their first daughter Diana, either as her first name or her second name. And if they have sons and then Harry has a daughter, I think Harry will name his first daughter Diana.

And I have a Canadian cousin, and can vouch for the hostility that you can inspire in an otherwise gentle clergyman by suggesting he is an American. :D

Scooter, I think it very possible that Will and Kate will name a daughter Diana because, as you say, it could be Will's way of giving his mother the "HRH" back - and possibly the "HM" she never had. It's also possible he doesn't think this way. We don't know how the wheels turn in his head.

However, I think it clear that the child's name will be a very telling into Will's psyche, and to some extent Kate's. Generally speaking, it's my experience that the mom names the baby and the dad's involvement is more or less veto power, and some suggestions. However, these are special circumstances, and I think Will's ideas and even the Queen's ideas will take precedence here. I just see Kate as more of a "live and let live" kinda gal, while Will is more forceful in his opinions. Of course I don't know, it's just how I see them and their relationship. There's always a more dominant partner, and it tends to work most of the time for most people.

as you say, the Queen will have a say in the naming of the little Prince or Princess. I am of the opinion that she will counsel William to find a not so obvious way to honor his mother.

Spencer would be a very strong name for a future king and a great tribute to Lady Diana.
Amelia Wales has a ring to it, if we get a queen to be.
Just healthy is important, the rest is icing on the cake!

Spencer would be a very strong name for a future king and a great tribute to Lady Diana.

King Spencer? I just don't see it. And somehow, I doubt the Queen would approve of a "King Spencer I"

I'd say there's zero chance that name will be a first name for a child of William and Kate's. Maybe for a younger child of Prince Harry's, but even then I'd imagine it would be a middle name.

I don't know if this is what Canroyal was thinking about, but I think it would be nice for something about Diana - like the naming of a child - to be there for Harry. William shouldn't really have 1st pick of everything (I haven't explained that well, sounds harsh, and I don't mean it to be)

I think King Spencer ranks right up there with King Ralph and Queen Latifah as potential names for Baby Cambridge. Keep in mind the child is a future British monarch.

I don't know if this is what Canroyal was thinking about, but I think it would be nice for something about Diana - like the naming of a child - to be there for Harry. William shouldn't really have 1st pick of everything (I haven't explained that well, sounds harsh, and I don't mean it to be)

Which is why I think the first to have a girl should have first pick. That's fair, or as fair as possible under the circumstances in which William is indeed first and has priority over everyting. And though William is the first to marry, he might have only boys. Harry could use the name "Spencer" as one of the secondary names for a son if he has one.

King Spencer! Well, bless your heart! ;)

This ain't Birmingham, darlin'. They just don't do it that way over there.

While I have known some good Spencers, the most famous Spencer who comes to mind is Spencer Pratt *shudders* NOT a good association. I think it'd be a lovely middle name, for either Will or Harry's child.

I do think that it's more likely for Harry to name his daughter Diana. William and Catherine's daughter Diana would have so much media pressure and comparison to her grandmother growing up, I simply don't think W and K would inflict that on their little one. Harry's kids will be less in the spotlight, less pressure to live up to the media legend of Diana, PoW.

I think Will and Kate are likely to use Diana's middle name, Frances.

While I have known some good Spencers, the most famous Spencer who comes to mind is Spencer Pratt *shudders* NOT a good association. I think it'd be a lovely middle name, for either Will or Harry's child.

I do think that it's more likely for Harry to name his daughter Diana. William and Catherine's daughter Diana would have so much media pressure and comparison to her grandmother growing up, I simply don't think W and K would inflict that on their little one. Harry's kids will be less in the spotlight, less pressure to live up to the media legend of Diana, PoW.

I think Will and Kate are likely to use Diana's middle name, Frances.

I love the name Spencer - unfortunately that Pratt creature used it. :sick::angry::shock::evil::yuk::furious::bangin: I think his mum must hide in shame. Anyway, I think Diana as a middlish name for the the first girl and Frances as a distant choice possibly for a middlish name for a first boy. I think Francis for the second girl.

If you look at the history of the Wales boys, despite their love of mum, they are just not that close to the Spencers. I think they will tip their hat to mum's family - but not much more. Do remember, the Earl embarrassed the Wales with his eulogy. We may have understood it, but I doubt everyone did.

If you look at the history of the Wales boys, despite their love of mum, they are just not that close to the Spencers. I think they will tip their hat to mum's family - but not much more. Do remember, the Earl embarrassed the Wales with his eulogy.

But this is the RF. They think in terms of reigns and centuries, not years or even decades. No matter what they might feel about Diana's brother, Spencer was Diana's family name, and I think it is likely to be used as a middle name for a son, but by Harry, not William, because I am sure that he will use Diana as a first name for his first daughter. I could quite possibly be way off the mark, but that's my gut feeling. And enough time has passed for the dust of moral outrage to have settled within the RF and for most other people that use of that name will be seen as a loving tribute and no more.

Further, William giving a son Spencer as a middle name would be too much of a tribute, but it would be OK for Harry, especially if William goes with Diana.

And, apart from any other reason, Spencer is just not the sort of name that would be used as a first name for an English prince. Using surnames as first names seems to be an American thing. Now, having gone out on a limb with that, I expect to be bombarded with examples of odd names being used as first names within the extended RF.:lol:

Prince Charles always wanted a daughter
Princess Diana once said she would like to have a daughter named Victoria.

Now I think William and Kate will choose Victoria as a first name for their baby (a lovely tribute to Princess Diana) and Diana or Spencer as the baby's middle name (another lovely tribute to William's mum).

You may be absolutely correct in that Will and Kate will name their first daughter Diana as I would assume that when William remembers his mother, it is Diana, the mother he remembers and not Diana, Princess of Wales. Both boys were/are very close with both their parents

I think they will go with something simple and unique but yet fitting for their firstborn child with traces of remembrance in the middle names. No matter what they call the child, I'm sure the tabloids will dream up 'dirt" headlines to fan the whiff of shock and awe to their readers. It hit me that as traditional of a name Alice would be for a little princess, I could see the DM headlines now: "Will and Kate name baby after Camilla's ancestral royal paramour!" :ohmy:

You may be absolutely correct in that Will and Kate will name their first daughter Diana as I would assume that when William remembers his mother, it is Diana, the mother he remembers and not Diana, Princess of Wales. Both boys were/are very close with both their parents

I think they will go with something simple and unique but yet fitting for their firstborn child with traces of remembrance in the middle names. No matter what they call the child, I'm sure the tabloids will dream up 'dirt" headlines to fan the whiff of shock and awe to their readers. It hit me that as traditional of a name Alice would be for a little princess, I could see the DM headlines now: "Will and Kate name baby after Camilla's ancestral royal paramour!" :ohmy:
I agree with you :flowers:

If they name her Victoria half the DM readership will assume she's named after Victoria Beckham. :eek:

Princess Diana Spencer Victoria Elizabeth of Cambridge? Really? The poor Queen would fall off her throne reading the memo.

Diana Victoria Elizabeth Caroline wouldn't surprise me. Why Caroline? I can't see Carole making the final cut.

God (if you exist) please spare us a future Queen Diana.

If they name her Victoria half the DM readership will assume she's named after Victoria Beckham. :eek:

Princess Diana Spencer Victoria Elizabeth of Cambridge? Really? The poor Queen would fall off her throne reading the memo.

:lol: thank you Gracie - love your sense of humour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom