Pippa Middleton: May 2011-May 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO putting a firm structure up is very sensible for a May wedding in England. Last night it hammered down, but we have bright sunshine this morning. If a marquee had been up overnight it would be in a very sorry state this morning.

Another positive about a firm structure is that most likely it has climate control for if it gets too hot or gets too cold. I have a picture of it at nighttime under the stars and illuminated by twinkling lights all over the place. A very romantic setting.

Also if it does rain and the marquee set up for the luncheon (?) gets too soggy, they can quickly switch the venue to the "crystal palace" where everyone will be indoors yet outdoors and away from inclement weather. I'm sure every contingency has been thought of and planned for.

IMHO putting a firm structure up is very sensible for a May wedding in England. Last night it hammered down, but we have bright sunshine this morning. If a marquee had been up overnight it would be in a very sorry state this morning.

Yes, this is the time of year for many showers and that temporary firm structure is really ideal. Money no object as both sides of the family are not missing a meal. Plus I agree that if we had never heard of Pippa and her marriage, this would in all likelihood be exactly the same type of wedding she would have. Stupid media printing the cost of it all. What a joke. They know exactly nothing for certain. Just had some flunky make a few telephone calls for price ranges on things. It actually made me laugh to read showing how desperate these tabloid crazies are.

Steven Glover gives his views on the 'lavish nature' of Pippa's wedding and whether it will do the younger royals 'harm' being associated with it.

STEPHEN GLOVER: On Pippa's oh-so lavish wedding | Daily Mail Online
Well, he certainly used his article to resurrect all the dirt and innuendo published about the family through the years.
This quote from the article sums it up: "Few would complain if they displayed a proper degree of modesty." Translation, how dare those middle class people, albeit self made millionaires, get above themselves? I beg to disagree, the press would complain no matter how the wedding was planned. The Middletons have been the object of so much class based scorn from the media through the decades that I doubt they waste their time reading the viscous innuendo, gossip and lies published about them.
Early press reports claimed there was going to be a yurt for the reception & I expressed a dislike for that structure, I think the Orangery glass house is an elegant solution to England's iffy weather situation.

Thank you all for answering my question. I recently attended my first "country" wedding and I must admit I loved it. Lovely simple church service with bride in simple white dress and men in black slacks, white shirts with carnation, while attendants in gold cocktail length dresses. Immediately went to their uncle's farm where everyone that could play an instrument played music. I was told ahead that we wear nice casual clothes. All food was laid out on huge long tables loving made by family and friends. I will admit those women can certainly cook! Dancing was a mixture of square or regular. I hear it went one until sun came back up. I left much earlier. I will fondly remember it as one of the sweetest weddings so filled with happiness and love. Nothing formal like I was taught in my day, just happy.

Sounds nice in theory, BUT.

If the food was laid out in the open, I'm betting there were flies and bees around. I never eat outside for that reason.

And really, with the uncertain weather, I think Pippa and James would have been better off hiring a historic building, instead of going with a tent or glass structure where the ground will most likely be soggy, even if they lay flooring. JMO.

:previous::previous:
The constructors of these pavillions will create solutions. Any guest will be welcomed in perfect conditions. No soggy bottoms, neither on the floor nor in the food...

Sounds nice in theory, BUT.

If the food was laid out in the open, I'm betting there were flies and bees around. I never eat outside for that reason.

And really, with the uncertain weather, I think Pippa and James would have been better off hiring a historic building, instead of going with a tent or glass structure where the ground will most likely be soggy, even if they lay flooring. JMO.

Its not uncommon to have a marquee set up for English weddings. Modern marquees are designed to cope with our inclement weather and do not usually have issues with soggy grounds etc.

As regards the choice of venue, I think it is lovely they are doing it at her parents home. I do not understand the criticism at all. Firstly, I do not believe the costs being quoted by the DM. Secondly, even if cost estimates were close to accurate, how is it our concern. The Middletons (&/or the Matthews) are spending their own money, and are certainly not answerable to anybody for what they do on their own property!

Well, he certainly used his article to resurrect all the dirt and innuendo published about the family through the years.
This quote from the article sums it up: "Few would complain if they displayed a proper degree of modesty." Translation, how dare those middle class people, albeit self made millionaires, get above themselves? I beg to disagree, the press would complain no matter how the wedding was planned. The Middletons have been the object of so much class based scorn from the media through the decades that I doubt they waste their time reading the vicious innuendo, gossip and lies published about them.

Early press reports claimed there was going to be a yurt for the reception & I expressed a dislike for that structure, I think the Orangery glass house is an elegant solution to England's iffy weather situation.

Well said. :flowers: I think the Middletons simply ignore it all. But also, like it or not, the Middletons are part of the upper slice of British society now. The deal is done.

Last edited:
^^^ Actually, Pippa's sister Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, DID NOT arrive at her wedding in a horse-drawn carriage. Kate arrived in a limousine, and then she left the church in a horse-drawn carriage. It was Kate's choice. She didn't want to arrive in a carriage, but both Kate and William agreed to leave in a carriage for the crowds and the pomp and circumstance.

Royal watchers in the media should get the facts straight.

Why does it matter to you so much @royal_rob about these prospective details of Pippa's wedding and whether or not she arrives in a horse-drawn carriage? It's her day, as well as her family's money to spend as they please, not yours. The fact there is such public interest is purely because of who Kate is married to, and who Prince Harry is bringing. The public interest and subsequent need for ever more heightened security is not Pippa's fault. I'm sure there are plenty of ladies around the world who have put together even more extravagant weddings than Pippa's. Again, anyone has the right to put together whatever elaborate or fancy wedding they please, if they can pay for it.

Last edited:
I don't believe for a second Pippa is going to do anything to mimic a royal wedding.

There are folks all over the place that actually do try to mimic one...not exactly a new theme.

LaRae

Plenty of non-royal brides who arrive by carriage. No deal. British press sadly has swapped ink for vinegar.

It is ridiculous, they are going to be damned if they do and damned if they don't. I just hope that the couple (and family) are managing to ignore all the crazy in the media and just have a wonderful day :cool:

Well, the only reasonable reaction to Glover's column is to take a shower afterwards to get the slime off.

Twisting himself into knots to make sure it's clear that they're not royal while holding them responsible for not behaving like royalty should. :bang:

AMEN to that!!

Back in the dark ages when I was married (1992), I had a lovely carriage pulled by Cinnamon the horse that brought my father and I to the wedding and carried my new husband and I away after the ceremony. My wedding was as far from a royal wedding as you can get.

I can't even bring myself to read those articles about Pippa's wedding. Most, if not all, of it is pure fabrication and pure envy/hate.

^^^ Actually, Pippa's sister Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, DID NOT arrive at her wedding in a horse-drawn carriage. Kate arrived in a limousine, and then she left the church in a horse-drawn carriage. It was Kate's choice. She didn't want to arrive in a carriage, but both Kate and William agreed to leave in a carriage for the crowds and the pomp and circumstance.

Royal watchers in the media should get the facts straight.

Why does it matter to you so much @royal_rob about these prospective details of Pippa's wedding and whether or not she arrives in a horse-drawn carriage? It's her day, as well as her family's money to spend as they please, not yours. The fact there is such public interest is purely because of who Kate is married to, and who Prince Harry is bringing. The public interest and subsequent need for ever more heightened security is not Pippa's fault. I'm sure there are plenty of ladies around the world who have put together even more extravagant weddings than Pippa's. Again, anyone has the right to put together whatever elaborate or fancy wedding they please, if they can pay for it.

I have said before of course they can spend their money anyway they want. I am allowed to have opinion and to me it's a bit sad and seems a over the top wedding. Makes me think they are trying to have a wedding bigger and better than most people in their position. Is she wanting a wedding as much like her sisters as she can. Which I think is sad. I think the minister in his sermon summed it up for me.

Its been suggested that perhaps Pippa should have gone with a historic building as a venue for the reception/party. I disagree. Any historic building would have been deemed a "public" place and be inundated with gobs of press and gawkers lined up 10 deep to get a glimpse of the "Greatest Show on Earth" if one is to believe the words of Glover who is, himself, just a working stiff trying to make a living. (I didn't read the article. I refuse to but have seen the quotes posters have made.).

I could win big in the lottery tomorrow and decide that I do want a three ring circus on my property for my own amusement and have kids from the local children's hospital routinely there for performances. Extravagant and kind of foolhardy, yes, but my money, my choices of what to do with it. It would no more indicate that I was acting any less "proper" for my station in life than it would be for Harry to want to build up a center somewhere in Africa for people he didn't even really know.

To me, Glover is a prime example of a person that doesn't have what the royals or the Middletons have and resents that fact. If he cannot have it, he'll find a way to discredit those that do. What a negative way to go through life.

I have said before of course they can spend their money anyway they want. I am allowed to have opinion and to me it's a bit sad and seems a over the top wedding. Makes me think they are trying to have a wedding bigger and better than most people in their position. Is she wanting a wedding as much like her sisters as she can. Which I think is sad. I think the minister in his sermon summed it up for me.

That is interesting.

Their position is that the youngest daughter has chosen her wedding details and they can be whatever they like.

Generally speaking (not directed at this poster) as far as I am aware Pippa Middleton has done nothing to warrant the abuse she is receiving. She turned up at her sisters wedding looking v nice - social media had fun with it and since then the UK media in particular has used her as a punch bag for their mysoginistic and class ridden attitude.

I hope she has a great day, and wish her well for the future.

I don't think many people would want to be a royal or a Middleton so I don't think Glover is jealous. You say you haven't read it yet give a opinion about it. My 3 children had nice weddings that they paid for themselves My eldest son didn't have presents instead he asked for donations to the United Nations refugee fund. So am I jealous of the Middletons ? Absolutely no. Do I think if what is being reported happens is tacky ? Yep I do.

Back in the dark ages when I was married (1992), I had a lovely carriage pulled by Cinnamon the horse that brought my father and I to the wedding and carried my new husband and I away after the ceremony. My wedding was as far from a royal wedding as you can get.

I can't even bring myself to read those articles about Pippa's wedding. Most, if not all, of it is pure fabrication and pure envy/hate.

I love this because it was yr choice. When I got married (5 years earlier and less of the "dark Ages"), we did the whole thing on £500, 20 guests and 4 days notice. It was what we wanted and we loved it. (30 yrs on, still happy)

And that's the point. Why should any of us stand in judgement on what someone else wants to do to celebrate their marriage? Just think about that?

My opinion is based on a quote from the columnist that was posted in a message. It was in no way reflective of you, royal rob, or your opinion which I respect as being a valid one.

All three of my children had different types of weddings from just a civil ceremony on a Friday afternoon, to a open bar "hall" wedding to a quite extravagant wedding and reception with all the trimmings. They also decided and paid for the wedding of their choice. Each was beautiful as, to me, it was the marriage that mattered and not the expenses doled out.

For me, this is exactly what Pippa and James are doing. Having a beautiful celebration of their relationship as they declare their vows to each other in marriage. Its their choice how they want to do it and if, as I have stated earlier, they wanted paratroopers in monkey suits descending with SWAG bags for all, its their choice. Of course we can have opinions but really, in the long run, those opinions don't matter at all.

I just find it in very poor taste that the media fills column space with insults and innuendos and trash people just because they can and it generates click bait and assures them of cash in their pockets.

I love this because it was yr choice. When I got married (5 years earlier and less of the "dark Ages"), we did the whole thing on £500, 20 guests and 4 days notice. It was what we wanted and we loved it. (30 yrs on, still happy)

And that's the point. Why should any of us stand in judgement on what someone else wants to do to celebrate their marriage? Just think about that?

I've had two weddings in my lifetime. The first was more on the lines of the right place to have a reception, the right way to do things and the inviting the right people to attend. My mother was "in charge" and she was far more of what could be deemed as a "status seeker" type than I'll ever be. That marriage lasted 20 years. My second wedding was a far cry from that and a civil ceremony on a Civil War courthouse steps. Had the flowers and wedding cake but just my sister in law as a witness and her 5 year old as a "flower girl". We'll celebrate 20 years in October. Living quite a distance from most of my family, we kept it simple.

Both weddings, to me, were beautiful and meaningful. Its not the price tag nor the carriages or the bubbles and doves but the two people actually getting married that really matter. It doesn't matter if the wedding cake costs an arm and leg and a few hangnails or the topping for the cake was bought at a flea market, its still a wedding cake and is edible.

To each their own.

The DM is reporting now, (don't know whether they are accurate, ha ha) that the wedding will have a Scottish theme with tartan, bagpipes and haggis canapés. I don't think either of the families have a Scottish background, though apparently Pippa enjoys hosting shoots at Glen Afric in the Highlands on the Matthews estate.

Also, all waiting staff are going to be security checked and have to surrender their phones, and an anonymous Russian has donated thousands of pounds worth of caviar for the reception. Curiouser and curiouser!

Pippa Middleton's wedding is going to be Scottish themed | Daily Mail Online

Doesn't her fiance's family own a property in Scotland? Maybe that's why this is coming up with the media.

LaRae

Not really that curious. It says in the article that James' father owns a castle and estate in the Highlands and he has a courtesy title, 'Laird of Glen Affric.' It also says Pippa and James spend a lot of time there, so that would be reason for the Scottish theme.

Not really that curious. It says in the article that James' father owns a castle and estate in the Highlands and he has a courtesy title, 'Laird of Glen Affric.' It also says Pippa and James spend a lot of time there, so that would be reason for the Scottish theme.

I love Scotland, too. :flowers: That's nice that they have a place there. Is it near Balmoral or any of the royal residences? Anyone know?

Not really a castle, it's a Victorian lodge. But still quite impressive

GlenAffric- LODGE

The estate, which was bought by Mr Matthews as a hotel property and is run as such, is 2.5 hours away from Balmoral. It is on its own loch, but closer to Loch Ness than balmoral. It's about 24 km west.

Pippa went to college in Edinburgh. She spent her weekends at the country estates up there. Not surprising if they do go with a highland theme. I had actually hoped for a wedding up there.

I highly doubt James will wear a kilt. His family is not Scottish. Grooms tend to wear tartan of their family. If neither bride nor groom are Scottish, it seems bizarre IMO the groom would wear. But some tartan decor would be lovely.

Last edited:
Again, as Pippa is a private citizen, she can have a Batman and Robin themed wedding if she likes.

As for the caviar, maybe Harry called in a favour from some of his Kazakhstan dictator connections. Serzhan Zhumashov probably knows a lot of Russian caviar suppliers.

Not really a castle, it's a Victorian lodge. But still quite impressive

GlenAffric- LODGE

The estate, which was bought by Mr !atthews as a hotel property and is run as such, is 2.5 hours away from Balmoral. It is on its own loch, but closer to Loch Ness than balmoral. It's about 24 km west.

Pippa went to college in Edinburgh. She spent her weekends at the country estates up there. Not surprising if they do go with a highland theme. I had actually hoped for a wedding up there.

Stunning ...would love to go there myself! Wonder if the Cambridges have visited yet.

Too bad they didn't do the wedding in Scotland...but it is nice too that she's marrying in the family area.

LaRae

Again, as Pippa is a private citizen, she can have a Batman and Robin themed wedding if she likes.

As for the caviar, maybe Harry called in a favour from some of his Kazakhstan dictator connections. Serzhan Zhumashov probably knows a lot of Russian caviar suppliers.

Yes, we have to drag digs on Harry into discussions on Pippa's wedding, don't we, Rudolph, considering that Harry ONCE years ago when with Cressida Bonas joined a weekend ski jaunt connected with Zhumashov.

Actually, it's Andrew that has several links with Russian and other Eastern European oligarchs, so maybe he pulled strings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom