Pippa Middleton: May 2011-May 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I much preferred Kate's dress to Pippa's.

Pippa does look lovely, although I think I prefer Kate's red outfit too.

I think Pippa looked fantastic and so did Kate. I'm particularly impressed by how nice Pippa's skin looks here. Less tan and therefore much younger looking.

I think Pippa looked fantastic and so did Kate. I'm particularly impressed by how nice Pippa's skin looks here. Less tan and therefore much younger looking.

I am so happy you think less tan looks younger. For some reason I keep hearing that a tan makes you look younger. Anyway, not to hijack the subject, but I thought both Kate and Pippa looked fabulous.

duchessrachel said:
I am so happy you think less tan looks younger. For some reason I keep hearing that a tan makes you look younger. Anyway, not to hijack the subject, but I thought both Kate and Pippa looked fabulous.

Overly tan makes people look like dried out leather to me- not to mention, makes me worry about their skin cancer risk.

A slight tan is fine, like Pippa has here, but I hate when people go overboard with it.

I feel bad for Pippa. She didnt marry Prince William and she gets none of the attendant perks but all quite abit of the attendant annoyances.

Well, yeah, but since she was maid of honour for her sister Pippa's apparently signed a £400,000 publishing deal to write a book on party planning. I'd call that a 'perk'. Plus, in future years she'll no doubt holiday at all the royal residences. The paps are pretty intrusive when it comes to Pippa, but her increased profile has presented her with any number of offers and opportunities she would otherwise not have had.

Well, yeah, but since she was maid of honour for her sister Pippa's apparently signed a £400,000 publishing deal to write a book on party planning. I'd call that a 'perk'. Plus, in future years she'll no doubt holiday at all the royal residences. The paps are pretty intrusive when it comes to Pippa, but her increased profile has presented her with any number of offers and opportunities she would otherwise not have had.
Somehow I don't think the perks quite make up for the total invasion of privacy that she got just because her sister married royalty. I just think Pippa is a sterling example of "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"! :D

Hey, she is working to sell books. To be commended.

pippa big move

i heard on the news pippa Middleton was going to move to newyork have any of you heard anything else about it

There's lots of rumors that Pippa's moving, but I will believe it when I see it!

Pippa at yet another wedding today. Without going too overboard, I can only say about this outfit that I really, really dislike the ruffled sleeves and overdone embroidery. This looks like a doll's dress. Her head appears to be caught in a huge spider's web.

Last edited:
I just commented in another thread that I did not like Pippa's dress...a little girl dress, it looks messy. Loved her hat!

LaRae

Too funny!
One of the most ridiculous looks of the year so far - this is really great for a good laugh.
Perhaps it was a Jane Austen movie costume before its full length skirt was chopped off? It certainly looks like it would have hung in a crammed closet for ages.

Kate, as future Queen, was entitled to Coat of Arms. She could have either applied personally, or her father could have applied (as happened), whereby the entire Middleton family would be able to use them.

The Middleton Coat of Arms were created by an artist from the College of Arms. This coat of Arms (the one you linked) is that of unmarried women in the Middleton family; until her marriage, it was Kate's as well, although now hers is a mixture of her family arms and Prince William's.

Kate's old version is currently used only by Pippa because it denoted an unmarried daughter of Michael Middleton (the one who the Coat of Arms "belongs" to). The reason why no one but Pippa (and Kate, before her marriage) could use that specific version is because the blue ribbon denotes a spinster. The lozenge version can also currently be used by Pippa as it is traditionally used by single ladies - unmarried, widowed or divorced. Pippa is currently Michael Middleton's only single daughter, so that version of Arms is hers. Once she marries, she may incorporate her Arms into those of her husband, assuming her husband is a royal/noble.

Michael Middleton's Coat of Arms is this one; it will one day be inherited by James Middleton - Michael's eldest son and heir. The symbols on both versions are the same; the difference is in shapes.

Last edited:
Artemisia said:
Kate, as future Queen, was entitled to Coat of Arms. She could have either applied personally, or her father could have applied (as happened), whereby the entire Middleton family would be able to use them.

The Middleton Coat of Arms were created by an artist from the College of Arms. This coat of Arms (the one you linked) is that of unmarried women in the Middleton family; until her marriage, it was Kate's as well, although now hers is a mixture of her family arms and Prince William's.

Kate's old version is currently used only by Pippa because it denoted an unmarried daughter of Michael Middleton (the one who the Coat of Arms "belongs" to). The reason why no one but Pippa (and Kate, before her marriage) could use that specific version is because the lozenge shape denotes a spinster and cannot be used by anyone else. Pippa is Michael Middleton's only unmarried daughter, so that version of Arms is hers. Once she marries, she may incorporate her Arms into those of her husband, assuming her husband is a royal/noble.

Michael Middleton's Coat of Arms is this one; it will one day be inherited by James Middleton - Michael's eldest son and heir. The symbols on both versions are the same; the difference is in shapes.

What if Kate were American or from a different country? Would her family still get a coat of arms?

What if Kate were American or from a different country? Would her family still get a coat of arms?
I'm not sure whether her family could get Coat of Arms but Kate - as the future Queen Consort of the United Kingdom - would.
If Kate were a foreigner, it is likely she would have applied for the Coat on her own.

It is also extremely likely she would have been granted British citizenship (and would have to renounce any other) prior to marriage, making her British, if not by ancestry, then by nationality.

Last edited:
Artemisia said:

Kate's old version is currently used only by Pippa because it denoted an unmarried daughter of Michael Middleton (the one who the Coat of Arms "belongs" to). The reason why no one but Pippa (and Kate, before her marriage) could use that specific version is because the lozenge shape denotes a spinster and cannot be used by anyone else. Pippa is Michael Middleton's only unmarried daughter, so that version of Arms is hers. Once she marries, she may incorporate her Arms into those of her husband, assuming her husband is a royal/noble.

This is so interesting... I had no idea about the shape being an indicator of sex/marital status. Im curious about James Middleton now.... Is he able to use the family crest now or does it need to be inherited upon his fathers death? And what about Carole?

This is so interesting... I had no idea about the shape being an indicator of sex/marital status. Im curious about James Middleton now.... Is he able to use the family crest now or does it need to be inherited upon his fathers death? And what about Carole?
Firstly, sorry for an important omission (now corrected) in my previous post; Pippa unmarried status (and Kate's before the latter's marriage) was noted by the shape and the blue ribbon - a traditional sign of an unmarried lady.

In fact, shape is changeable, so the ribbon is the strongest and clearest sign. Lozenge, along with oval or cartouche form, is most commonly used for single women (spinsters, divorcees, widows). Married women, however, always display their arms on a shield, the only exception being Peeresses in their own right and Princesses by blood, who also use lozenge for their arms, even during marriage.

For instance, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie's Arms are also lozenge-shaped, signifying both their status of unmarried ladies, and the fact they are British Princesses by blood. Similarly, Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra's Coats have similar shape. On the other hand, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duchess of Cambridge, the Countess of Wessex, the Duchess of Gloucester, the Duchess of Kent, and Princess Michael of Kent all have their Arms on shield, signifying their status as consorts (not Princesses by blood) and married women.

A better yet example is Diana, Princess of Wales:
- Before her marriage, she had the lozenge-shaped Arms with blue ribbon (symbol of a spinster).
- For the duration of her marriage to Prince Charles, her Arms were on a shield, incorporated into Prince Charles'.
- After her divorce, she resumed her father's Arms with the addition of a Royal Coronet and without the blue ribbon (which is for spinsters only).

The Grant of Arms has been made to Michael Middleton and his descendants, which means that Kate, Pippa and James all have use of the Arms.
James Middleton uses the same Arms as his father (as does Carole), and will pass the right on to his children.

Last edited:
Artemisia said:
Firstly, sorry for an important omission (now corrected) in my previous post; Pippa unmarried status (and Kate's before the latter's marriage) by the shape and the blue ribbon - a traditional sign of an unmarried lady.

In fact, shape is changeable, so the ribbon is the strongest and clearest sign. Lozenge, along with oval or cartouche form, is most commonly used for single women (spinsters, divorcees, widows). Married women, however, always display their arms on a shield, the only exception being Peeresses in their own right and Princesses by blood, who also use lozenge for their arms, even during marriage.

For instance, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie's Arms are also lozenge-shaped, signifying both their status of unmarried ladies, and the fact they are British Princesses by blood. Similarly, Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra's Coats have similar shape. On the other hand, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duchess of Cambridge, the Countess of Wessex, the Duchess of Gloucester, the Duchess of Kent, and Princess Michael of Kent all have their Arms on shield, signifying their status as consorts (not Princesses by blood) and married women.

A better yet example is Diana, Princess of Wales:
- Before her marriage, she had the lozenge-shaped Arms with blue ribbon (symbol of a spinster).
- For the duration of her marriage to Prince Charles, her Arms were on a shield, incorporated into Prince Charles'.
- After her divorce, she resumed her father's Arms with the addition of a Royal Coronet and without the blue ribbon (which is for spinsters only).

The Grant of Arms has been made to Michael Middleton and his descendants, which means that Kate, Pippa and James all have use of the Arms.
James Middleton uses the same Arms as his father (as does Carole), and will pass the right on to his children.

Thank you. So informative and interesting.

Kate's old version is currently used only by Pippa because it denoted an unmarried daughter of Michael Middleton (the one who the Coat of Arms "belongs" to). The reason why no one but Pippa (and Kate, before her marriage) could use that specific version is because the blue ribbon denotes a spinster. The lozenge version can also currently be used by Pippa as it is traditionally used by single ladies - unmarried, widowed or divorced. Pippa is currently Michael Middleton's only single daughter, so that version of Arms is hers. Once she marries, she may incorporate her Arms into those of her husband, assuming her husband is a royal/noble.

thankyou for telling you are a very informative person

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom