Pippa Middleton: May 2011-May 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must admit I don't understand the snobbery displayed towards the Middletons.

There is a well-known anecdote from around the 1100's about a Saracen who was poked at by another Saracen for his humble background.
He retorted: "I'm the first in my dynasty. You are the last in your dynasty".

Ok just looked at the photo of her in her leggings!!!! That's done it for me. If your famous for your bottom and you don't want to be famous for your bottom why would dress to draw attention to your bottom. No more poor Pippa for me there's plenty of other fashionable things she could have worn

Their business was actually started by Carole, not by Michael. :)

She was the entrepreneur- it started with her making party bags for birthday parties, when he was still employed by one of the airlines. I think it's just that the press enjoys criticizing the women more.

I didn't say he started the business I suggested the reason he is not often seen is that he is getting on with the work involved.

Michael Middleton comes from a distinguished background, and so I think that he gets a pass because of that. It was his inherited money which paid for the children's education, according to articles I have read. Also, I think there's some sexism involved here as well as classism. If James married a highly-born young lady, I don't think that there'd be quite the uproar as there is with Pippa dating upper-class men.

Perhaps Zonk had better transfer this to the Middleton thread as well / instead, as in order to explain about Pippa, I have had to mention her parents as well.

First, could I start by remarking that, as I have said before, I hate snobbery and class issues, but for want of a better way of putting it, Carole Middleton was born into a working-class background, based on the occupation of her parents and the fact that they lived in council [public] housing. Michael Middleton was born into a middle-class background to the extent that his parents owned their own house [not quite so common back in the 1950's, particularly when the war had made housing in short supply]. Newspapers sometimes erroneously describe Michael Middleton as an airline captain, i.e. a professional occupation: in fact, he was never a pilot and worked in administrative roles including those airside. I do not need to repeat here that through their hard work the Middletons have become wealthy. As to their social position, they are now obviously much more middle class.

The Middleton's source of money has long fascinated journalists: as Mermaid so rightly says, there were articles that stated that inherited wealth [i.e. on Michael's side] paid for Pippa and Catherine's education. Further reserach was then done by the Daily Telegraph, which [because wills and the amount a person leaves when he dies are public knowledge in the UK], they were able to trace back to the alleged 'source' of the wealth, and then discovered that much of it did not actually exist, and that Michael's forebears did not even live in anything other than 'average houses'. And certainly, before Party Pieces took off, the house where Catherine lived before her parents moved to their current home was small and semi-detached. Nothing wrong with this whatsover, I should add, but it certainly is not suggestive of great inherited wealth.

For what it is worth, the word in my circles is that initially, the Middletons had financial help from the schools themselves to help educate Pippa and Catherine. And this is actually not so rare - fees are astronomical and I believe that the figure from most schools is that more than half of their pupils receive some help towards the fees. Catherine originally went to Downe House because she could be a 'day boarder', thereby saving her parents the considerable cost of boarding fees. I have also been told that the person who helped with the cost of the Middleton's schooling before Party Pieces took off was............Uncle Gary. Which is why I could have saved the DM and assorted other tabloids a lot of trouble when they began the pre-wedding 'will Uncle Gary be there?' articles. Believe you me, Uncle Gary could NEVER have been excluded!

Whilst I fully agree that Pippa can't stay at home etc, I do think that her appearances are too public to be regarded as 'just a person enjoying herself'. The sort of social life - non-stop - that she is constantly having is actually very different from that experienced by what, for want of a better word, I will call 'Old Money'. I hope NGalitzine can read and comment on this, but in my view, Pippa's lifestyle is too 'in your face' to be regarded as that of a normal Society girl. And as for tennis matches etc, yes, Pippa is a keen player but I am quite sure that her front row appearances etc are due more than anything else to the 'royal' connection. I did post on another thread that the Royal Family 'test' to make sure that you are not being exploited because of your royal connections is to ask yourself ' would I be going to this if I were not connected to royalty in some way?'. For my own part, whilst the tabloids are obviously building up Pippa, I have to say that I think that she is 'working' / 'milking' her royal connections to at least some degree!

And it is possible to 'take more of a back seat role' and I am sure Pippa could do this if she wanted to: It's is bit like how Carole Middleton always seems to take centre-stage, whereas Michael is able to keep more in the background himself. Take Royal Ascot; both Middletons were in the carriage procession: Carole was exceedingly animated and waving at everyone - believe me, I was there. [and i have to say, Carole had my sympathy, because if I had just married my daughter into the BRF I would be waving a lot as well!!] You just could not FAIL to notice Carole, she was 'everywhere'. Carole was also very heavily false-tanned and 'stood out a mile' for this reason alone. Meanwhile, Michael Middleton sat there quietly dignified and people barely noticed him, since all the attention was being focused on his star of a wife. Quick footnote: I have NEVER heard Carole Middleton called 'Doors to Manual' as the papers claim. What people do call her is 'PMM'. I gather that this unkindly stands for 'Pushy Mummy Middleton'. I believe that this attitude towards Carole is what has swung over to how Pippa Middleton is viewed. I have never heard an unkind word being spoken about Michael Middleton.

Just my thoughts, and not meant to offend.

Alex

Last edited:
Pippa Middleton... who was she before William and Kate got married? Has she achieved anything of notable importance since then? I am still not certain what all the fuss is about.

I started dressing like that in 1983 when the film "Flashdance" brought this style in fashion. And like me billions of women have worn this style ever since... So what?

I agree. I have several pair of leggings that I just love wearing normally with a tunic or kurta and boots. Its a style that is really comfortable for me.

I think, as I have for a long while, that since the wedding of Will and Kate, the tabloids and press have latched on to Pippa for the sole reason being that Pippa is about as close to Kate as they're going to get for a cash cow. They know William's feelings about the press and if William stresses that he won't stand for the harassment his mother faced, they're going to back down and look elsewhere.

I don't think that Pippa's done anything to court all this attention and I don't think I've ever seen where she's talked to the press either. This situation kind of reminds me of how back then, the PR folks dreamt this popular rock band for a TV series. The public bought into it and the Monkees were quite popular for a long time.

Well Alex, I think there are a few things to consider.
-of course people did not notice the Middletons before Catherine and William became a couple and ended up at the Abbey. There was no reason to. They were successful entrepeneurs living in Berkshire. Probably few people outside of their village had any idea about them. The same could be said about almost any family in the kingdom.
-the Middletons now receive attention from the media. Again, perfectly natural. They are a good looking family with an interesting story that highlights social movement and success in the UK. A sign of progress in my books. Also their daughter will one day be Queen so media attention in the 21st century is to be expected.
-Pippa is a party planner as I understand it, so it seems natural that she has an active social life. She is also beautiful and outgoing (probably more so than her older sister), and looked pretty great in her bridesmaid dress. On the wedding day she became a star not just in the UK but abroad as well. People talked about her dress and her body. Not much she could do about that....It all started before she even left the Abbey.
-Not sure if she invites ongoing attention or not, but she seems to accept that it has become a part of her life and gets on with her life regardless. If she gets an upgrade at a tennis match, well who could blame her for accepting. I am not adverse to getting a better table at a restaurant or having my seat upgraded on an aoirline when it is offered to me.
-Does she capitalize on her royal connection for commercial purposes? I don't know but she wouldn't be the first and won't be the last. Lady Elizabeth Anson does not shy away from talking about her connections to publicize Party Planners and the royals don't seem to mind as she plans many of their events....and talks about it later. Would Margaret Rhodes recent book even have been published if her aunt was not the Queen Mother and her cousin the monarch? A lot of people could write a charming book about country life and caring for an elderly aunt but would be unlikely to have found a publisher.
-Pippa may be out and about at a lot of events that the traditional aristocracy might not have attended but times have moved on and a lot of traditional events have fallen by the wayside. Anyway, she is young and attending young peoples events and the people she is seen with don't exactly come from the gutters.
-As for Michael not getting attention while Carole and Pippa do, well I think thats just the way the press work. Men always fade into the background. What can you say about us, nice suit? With women the press can comment on their clothes and makeup etc and if the reporter is a woman even get a bit cattier in their comments. Overall I think Mrs Middleton has handled the attention quite well. She could have sat in the carriage like a lump on a log and some people would still have found a reason to comment.
-traditionally if one wanted to avoid publicity, or let unwanted publicity die down one would withdraw for a seaon or 2 to a family estate in the country or perhaps an extended trip abroad. While you have withdrawn from public life usually another person captures the publics attention and then you can return to London. In todays world, where everyone has to work (including the aristocracy) I think it is unreasonable to expect Pippa Middleton to withdraw to the country.
-Overall I would say that the Middleton family have handled the attention on their family quite well. They are not running around giving interviews to the tabs or appearing on tv chat shows. They just get on with their careers and let people say what they want. As the Iron Duke said "publish and be damned". They may be privately hurt by the gossip but they don't let on in public or lash out at the press. If Pippa and Lord Percy were ever to head to the altar I can only imagine the outrage the DM could generate. Imagine Carole Middleton, mother to 2 Duchesses, how dare she!!!

JMO,
Nicholas

Last edited:
Slowly I begin to believe that what the tabloids report (or not report) is selected according to the rules for writing Regency Romances.

Like let's say Mary Balogh or Jo Beverley:

Book one in the Middleton-series.Catherine and the Prince. A story which ends at the altar of Westminster Abbey.

Book two: Philippa and the Duke. A book still to be written. The opening chapter features a sensational dress at the happy ending of book one, which catapults the heroine into the limelight. From now on Philippa (called "Pippa" in the book) who had previously led a quiet life in her sister's shade, is on the run. She looses her gentleman suitor Alex to intrigues which include his evil and condescending family. Her reputation is ruined. She even gets Royal commands to stay more in the background But then her knight in white armour shows up and he is the heir of a dukedom. The duke and duchess come to her rescue and on bringing her out in public again under their wings (which even include those of the Dowager Duchess - always important in such stories: the good ol' fairy) her reputation is restored. For now... Because there will be much further ado and doings till Miss Philippa ends up at the altar.... Wait for next week's installment...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This made me laugh out loud :lol: :ROFLMAO:. Nicely put.

Osipi said:
I agree. I have several pair of leggings that I just love wearing normally with a tunic or kurta and boots. Its a style that is really comfortable for me.

I think, as I have for a long while, that since the wedding of Will and Kate, the tabloids and press have latched on to Pippa for the sole reason being that Pippa is about as close to Kate as they're going to get for a cash cow. They know William's feelings about the press and if William stresses that he won't stand for the harassment his mother faced, they're going to back down and look elsewhere.

I don't think that Pippa's done anything to court all this attention and I don't think I've ever seen where she's talked to the press either. This situation kind of reminds me of how back then, the PR folks dreamt this popular rock band for a TV series. The public bought into it and the Monkees were quite popular for a long time.

I don't know you but I'll take a guess your bottom hasn't been in every paper and on tv and voted rear of the year. So I think a longer top would have been a better idea IF she really doesn't want all the attention

There was so much commotion about these leggings I had to check it out to see what the big fuss was about.

And guess what....much ado about nothing.

Honestly, you see women in pants like this quite often in the States during the fall and winter time, and I would imagine the same holds true for Europe.

As for the inference that Pippa is seeking attention by wearing such pants, I am afraid that Pippa once again, should have just stayed indoors so that she wouldn't have bothered people 1) by exercising her rights/belief/ or whatever you want to call it to go outside like any other normal human being who isn't in jail or is bedridden and 2) she should have clearly taken a poll beforehand so the masses could have told her what was appropriate for a private citizen to wear. I mean, how dare she wear leggings when her bum has been commented on. Someone once told me I had nice legs, so guess what, that's the feature I always play up. Whats wrong with that? Itsnot like she is wearing Daisy Dukes!

I mean seriously, she isn't offending anyone by showing a lot of skin, she isn't wearing anything that is too tight or too loose. She isn't out doing drugs or kicking kittens in the streets. She certainly isn't living on the taxpayer dime.

Frankly, I think Pippa (as a private citizen) should do whatever makes her happy (and as a contributing member of society) as it appears that people will dislike her for no apparent reason.

And for the record, I am not a particular fan of Pippa. Frankly, I think her dress style leaves much to be desired and I don't think she is that pretty. Average is what I would say. But it does goad my gander when people nitpick on people (that they don't know) for little reasons.

Just come out and say you don't like her and stop finding reasons to justify all the little petty remarks. I said it once to a coworker about Angelina Jolie and she was shocked. I was like I just don't care for her. She hasn't done anything personal to me, I don't know her, I respect what she does for charities around the world but I just don't care for her. And that was that. We didn't spend time trying to justify my dislike or her like. It is what it is.

Trust me...you will feel better.

Oh and Nicholas...excellent post!

Last edited:
I just think IF and I mean IF she didnt want attention she would have worn a longer top I never said she should stay inside or wear ugly clothes Of course she can wear what ever she wants but must be aware she will be in the news. And as she can wear what she she wants so can I comment on it and I feel just fine thanks for asking.

-Overall I would say that the Middleton family have handled the attention on their family quite well. They are not running around giving interviews to the tabs or appearing on tv chat shows. They just get on with their careers and let people say what they want. As the Iron Duke said "publish and be damned". They may be privately hurt by the gossip but they don't let on in public or lash out at the press. If Pippa and Lord Percy were ever to head to the altar I can only imagine the outrage the DM could generate. Imagine Carole Middleton, mother to 2 Duchesses, how dare she!!!

I agree! Really I think perhaps the press wishes to provoke a confrontation with Pippa; it would make a better story than just showing her walking down the street.
(Like they hounded Diana until she finally burst into tears; then they apologized).

As for Pippa marrying George Percy, I really hope she does!
I'd love to imagine the look on the faces of some of those snobs who said she wasn't good enough.

(At least George is a good friend to her; he must have known the press would be all over that invitation to Alnwick, but he just went ahead and invited Pippa anyway. Go George!)

Zonk said:
There was so much commotion about these leggings I had to check it out to see what the big fuss was about.

And guess what....much ado about nothing.

Honestly, you see women in pants like this quite often in the States during the fall and winter time, and I would imagine the same holds true for Europe.

As for the inference that Pippa is seeking attention by wearing such pants, I am afraid that Pippa once again, should have just stayed indoors so that she wouldn't have bothered people 1) by exercising her rights/belief/ or whatever you want to call it to go outside like any other normal human being who isn't in jail or is bedridden and 2) she should have clearly taken a poll beforehand so the masses could have told her what was appropriate for a private citizen to wear. I mean, how dare she wear leggings when her bum has been commented on. Someone once told me I had nice legs, so guess what, that's the feature I always play up. Whats wrong with that? Itsnot like she is wearing Daisy Dukes!

I mean seriously, she isn't offending anyone by showing a lot of skin, she isn't wearing anything that is too tight or too loose. She isn't out doing drugs or kicking kittens in the streets. She certainly isn't living on the taxpayer dime.

Frankly, I think Pippa (as a private citizen) should do whatever makes her happy (and as a contributing member of society) as it appears that people will dislike her for no apparent reason.

And for the record, I am not a particular fan of Pippa. Frankly, I think her dress style leaves much to be desired and I don't think she is that pretty. Average is what I would say. But it does goad my gander when people nitpick on people (that they don't know) for little reasons.

Just come out and say you don't like her and stop finding reasons to justify all the little petty remarks. I said it once to a coworker about Angelina Jolie and she was shocked. I was like I just don't care for her. She hasn't done anything personal to me, I don't know her, I respect what she does for charities around the world but I just don't care for her. And that was that. We didn't spend time trying to justify my dislike or her like. It is what it is.

Trust me...you will feel better.

Oh and Nicholas...excellent post!

By the way if you look back a few a posts you will see that I thought the dress for wedding was just a lovely dress and didn't understand the todo and when she wore the micro mini dress in the front row of the fashion parade I thought it was just a slip up that she didn't think it would ride up so high. I have always thought she was being harassed by the press, but when I saw the photos today well I think was really silly and wether it was to show the ex what he is missing or what it will only draw attention to herself so i don't dislike so don't try and make it appear that that is what I'm doing

She clearly wants attention. And she gets it, by wearing very attention getting clothes.

Pippa's red dress.

Now, this is not a style that appeals to me, even on a young woman with a toned body. But it's her choice and it makes a statement, it's memorable.

When the family was in Jordan, I believe that he was an air-traffic controller. I understand that he inherited funds that were designated educational; although perhaps they didn't cover all the school expenses, they certainly helped.

As to his disinguished background and money, it was once published how much he had inherited and it wasn't that much and definitely didn't seem to be enough to pay the enormous fees that the colleges he sent his children to demand.

Imagine Carole Middleton, mother to 2 Duchesses, how dare she!!!

On the last pics I saw of the current duke, he looked rather fresh and youthful. Definately younger than William's grandmother and father. So even if Pippa married Earl Percy, they have to wait for quite some time to become duke and duchess. While it will not necessarily take decades for William and Catherine to become Prince and Princess of Wales. So I don't see much chance for Carole Middleton to be "mother of two duchesses"... :)

Surely Zonk you don't expect people to say why they dislike someone or people without giving their reasons for this. Most of the people commenting here do not know the Middletons from Adam but they have been shot into fame. This is a thread discussing Pippa.
Are we expected to say 1. I don't like her.
2. I do like her.
Then leave it at that. There is a huge cultural difference too, we all seem to come from different countries and backgrounds and that is sure to colour our likes and dislikes. British upper class people find any talk about money very common, in other countries it is discussed openly.

On the last pics I saw of the current duke, he looked rather fresh and youthful. Definately younger than William's grandmother and father. So even if Pippa married Earl Percy, they have to wait for quite some time to become duke and duchess. While it will not necessarily take decades for William and Catherine to become Prince and Princess of Wales. So I don't see much chance for Carole Middleton to be "mother of two duchesses"... :)

One never knows. The current Duke inherited from his brother, who died childless at the ripe old age of 42!
It's impossible for anyone to predict what lies in store.

I just came across some articles in newspapers regarding the recent split of Pippa from her boyfriend Alex Loudon - and I had a deja vu. The papers cited that Alex has dumped her because she comes from a "newly rich" familiy, has not the right manners, attitude but is more like a sort of social climber (to avoid the word gold-digger...).....etc. and his parents did not consider her "wife material".

I think I remember to read the same during the split of Catherine and William.
I don't know a lot about the family and their perception in UK, but thought that since the wedding things have cooled down. Obviously it is still the same, with articles now focusing on Pippa and her back-ground and life style. I was wondering how these things are coming along and if there is anyway a lot of information known about Ms. Middleton.
As said - just some slight deja vu experience ;)

Last edited:
^^^^^
The Express is a tabloid, even a bit more downmarket than the DM although it would be a close race between the 2 in my view since the NOW went out of business.

^^^^^
The Express is a tabloid, even a bit more downmarket than the DM although it would be a close race between the 2 in my view since the NOW went out of business.

Thank you NGalitzine. I thought the DM was bad and the Express is worse? Yikes!! Although it really isn't such a shock after reading the article. Everything is so nebulous.

I still feel sorry for Pippa.

If this article is in any way accurate, I feel sorry for her.

Tearful Pippa "Hounded Like Diana"

Is the Express a reliable source? Or is it like the Daily Mail which IMHO is not.

At least it is a positive article. The Daily Express has always been a real supporter of any claim Diana, Princess of Wales ever brought up (which is not always where the truth lies, but we know that, don't we) and the comparison between Diana and Pippa is a positive sign.

As for Pippa: that is unfortunate for her. I can somehow believe the hounding of her is a way to get more of Catherine... But I'm sure the Middletons and especially Pippa herself are capable of dealing with that.

i remember reading an article saying that as well. i also recently read that the reason for the split was that he was finding it hard to deal with all the media attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
She does look lovely; if she is heart-broken over Alex it doesn't show!

But of course there's lots of hostile comments from readers about why there's so many stories about a nobody.
Hundreds of comments, which pretty much defeats the purpose!
Don't these people realize that if they don't care to read about Pippa, the thing to do is to ignore the stores and not comment?

(But supposedly there's an appetite for Pippa-related stories, especially in the US, so...supply and demand).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom