The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I really don't get the fuss about Pippa. She's not royal by blood, she and the Middletons did not become royal upon Kate's marriage to William, and she will not become royal upon her own marriage. Pippa has not accomplished anything great in her own right. The Middletons have been knocked for being social climbers, and the wedding press seems to play into that.
My thoughts exactly. I remember being puzzled when there was all that talk about her bum/backside at her sister's wedding. I thought "do the British people not know bums?" Women like Jennifer Lopez and Serena Williams has butt/booty/backside. 😆Not Pippa. So I never got what all the fuss was about.

The one thing I like about Pippa and give credit to her for is that she does occasionally used her love for sports for charitable reasons. I think that is commendable.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I really don't get the fuss about Pippa. She's not royal by blood, she and the Middletons did not become royal upon Kate's marriage to William, and she will not become royal upon her own marriage. Pippa has not accomplished anything great in her own right. The Middletons have been knocked for being social climbers, and the wedding press seems to play into that.

I don't think it matters why the public is (mostly) interested in Pippa.
But they are.

Why are people interested in the Kardashians? I don't get that either.
But they are.

I think that, short of selling an exclusive to HELLO (tacky) Pippa is doing the best she can to limit coverage and avoid a circus.

It's really hopeless to keep the press out entirely; this way, she has a bit of control.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I'm not sure I understand what the issue is, if one even exists. I agree that the Middletons have at times, seemed a bit...eager, but in the case of Pippa's wedding, surely you would expect her sister, her brother-in-law, and their children to attend. I don't think Prince Harry needs to be there, but the Cambridges have every right to attend. Because they're going, it will undoubtedly be a circus, but what is the alternative? Not going at all?

Why shouldn't Harry be invited ? I was invited to the wedding of my sister-in-law's brother and I barely know him. I think that happens in many families.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I find it totally appalling that some photographers could even think to be snubbed by a limitation of photographers at a private wedding held in a private venue for two private people.

Having a profession as a photographer and working to earn a living by selling pictures of subjects to various media does not in any way, shape or form mean that they should immediately always have access to whomever they want.

Some people!!!
Oh the paps have done their research this time! One of paps (the infamous Tanna) is using a ruling in a lawsuit Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas had against a photographer who took pics of their wedding. The judge ruled weddings are public occasions and couples should have no expectations of privacy. I guess Tanna got tired of being threatened with lawsuits by KP so he does his stalking with legal precedence now.

Link to the lawsuit ruling
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ishing.privacy
Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Middleton's are the future King's in-laws and the family of the future Queen. This has put them in the spotlight and there's media interest in them and their weddings. I guess some are too young to remember the huge interest there was in the Spencer's. It's been years, but they too had the medias interest.

The Cambridge's and palace official maintains their stand on privacy and public interest. They're just being realistic about the media interest in this wedding.

I'm old enough to remember the Spencer's there was nothing remotely like what we have seen with Pippa
Heir Apparent

That lawsuit was the Douglases suing Hello because they had a deal with OK and Hello published photos of the reception to spoil the exclusive for their rivals.

It's bit different scenario. If you have a wedding at a church and it fits 200 people and instead of your invited guests in the church there is 200 photographers with their cameras sitting in the pews. That would be okay?

Also the church is on private land and the wedding isn't part of a scheduled service like Christmas where anyone can come. People off the street would not be allowed in to Westminster Abbey six years just so they could potentially object when the Cambridges got married.
Heir Apparent

So, does anyone know what press will be admitted to the wedding, or is there some sort of lottery?
Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I'm old enough to remember the Spencer's there was nothing remotely like what we have seen with Pippa
Yes, there's a new media age, but there was a great deal interest in the family. The families just have to handle it all the best way they can. It's not easy, but it's the life that comes along with being the in-laws of William. It's the package.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-11-2017, 09:22 AM
Nobility

I think people far too often conflate "I am not interested in X" and "there is no reason to be interested in X". This happens a *lot* with women in the public eye.

There's no reason to minimize Pippa's accomplishments; she has done a lot of good with her platform. In fact, I strongly suspect that if you took a random sampling of 10 people from the various royal forums and put together their lifetime fundraising, 9 times out of 10 you would not equal the amount of money that she's raised so far in the few years she's been in the spotlight. (There's a possibility that 1 time out of 10, you'd find the outlier who's raised a million pounds/dollars.)

As for the wedding: it was clumsy on KP's part and they seem to not yet recognise that any clumsiness in their execution will be pounced on by a fairly hostile press. (Or maybe they do and they just figure they really can't do right so they'll just do what seems best and let the chips fall where they may.) But, really, given that the press is so eager to photograph these "unimportant" people that they spend a day whining on Twitter that they're not being given unrestricted access, what else are Pippa, James, and their families supposed to do? Is there a good way to handle this, or are they going to get criticism no matter what they do?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Yes, there's a new media age, but there was a great deal interest in the family. The families just have to handle it all the best way they can. It's not easy, but it's the life that comes along with being the in-laws of William. It's the package.
You are correct. Plus there is a lot of the media that have always hated Pippa and her family. They can't wait to critique and pull apart every small thing. The Middletons never sought all this in life. I personally feel they have handled all the media following them around, just because their daughter married royalty, with class. Know for a fact they have been offered money for interviews, etc., but have not stooped that low. Plus they don't need the money. They have worked and made their way in life without taxpayer's money.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Pippa Middleton: May 2011-

Remember Christmas in 2012 when William and Kate went to Buckleberry after the HG hospital visit. The press complained that they were not told that there would be a section for the press to take pictures. Now they are complaining that they were told.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
The Middletons never sought all this in life. I personally feel they have handled all the media following them around, just because their daughter married royalty, with class. Know for a fact they have been offered money for interviews, etc., but have not stooped that low. Plus they don't need the money. They have worked and made their way in life without taxpayer's money.

I agree; I think the Middletons have behaved with class and dignity throughout Kate's relationship with William.

Some seem to think they should vanish into the ether and never have contact with their daughter and grandchildren at all.
But I don't see that they push, and I've never understood why they shouldn't go where they are invited.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
We sometimes seem to forget too that when it comes to familial relationships, Harry is just as relevant in the same ways Pippa is. Charles and Camilla are right on par with Mike and Carole and George and Charlotte are going to be growing up loving all of them equally. Its how families work. No one is "better" or "more important" or "higher up on the totem pole" when it comes to private family lives.

We, as the public and the media, are the ones putting status and class labels on the relationships between these people because I seriously think it means more to us on the outside than it does within the family group.

When it comes to being family, being royal or not doesn't matter. Of course Gan-Gan is forever and always the matriarch of the family as Philip is the patriarch. Some things never change.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
I think people far too often conflate "I am not interested in X" and "there is no reason to be interested in X". This happens a *lot* with women in the public eye.

There's no reason to minimize Pippa's accomplishments; she has done a lot of good with her platform. In fact, I strongly suspect that if you took a random sampling of 10 people from the various royal forums and put together their lifetime fundraising, 9 times out of 10 you would not equal the amount of money that she's raised so far in the few years she's been in the spotlight. (There's a possibility that 1 time out of 10, you'd find the outlier who's raised a million pounds/dollars.)

As for the wedding: it was clumsy on KP's part and they seem to not yet recognise that any clumsiness in their execution will be pounced on by a fairly hostile press. (Or maybe they do and they just figure they really can't do right so they'll just do what seems best and let the chips fall where they may.) But, really, given that the press is so eager to photograph these "unimportant" people that they spend a day whining on Twitter that they're not being given unrestricted access, what else are Pippa, James, and their families supposed to do? Is there a good way to handle this, or are they going to get criticism no matter what they do?
Well, I think Pippa's fundraising and athletic endeavors are impressive. I should mention James Middleton too, as he is usually involved in these sporting feats too , yet all the shine is given to Pippa. And I do think Pippa has handled the media well the last 4 years, before that she seemed a little lost in the media storm and made some missteps. I think that's what makes KP's sloppiness so irksome, they made things worse for her. Yes, she's going to get criticism no matter, which is unfair, but this was serving her on a silver platter to the naysayers and catty gossip columnists.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Well, I think Pippa's fundraising and athletic endeavors are impressive. I should mention James Middleton too, as he is usually involved in these sporting feats too , yet all the shine is given to Pippa. And I do think Pippa has handled the media well the last 4 years, before that she seemed a little lost in the media storm and made some missteps. I think that's what makes KP's sloppiness so irksome, they made things worse for her. Yes, she's going to get criticism no matter, which is unfair, but this was serving her on a silver platter to the naysayers and catty gossip columnists.
You think Pippa wasn't involved in the decision to have a media facility?

All KP did was announce who was attending the wedding and that there would be an area for the press.

What am I missing?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Majesty

I don't think KP would just up and release a statement of their own accord just because they can. If it was a KP release, it was done in conjunction with the Cambridges and Pippa and James. It was their decision to make and not KP's, not the courtiers or the little green men hovering above KP in their spaceship.

If anything, Pippa has a handle on all aspects of her wedding day and each and every minute detail so that all goes according to plan. I don't think the public's or the media's reaction to what she's decided ever entered her head. Too many other things to do.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
You think Pippa wasn't involved in the decision to have a media facility?

All KP did was announce who was attending the wedding and that there would be an area for the press.

What am I missing?
I think KP took the lead, and informed Pippa that they wished to make a press statement to stop the endless inquiries they were getting. And Pippa said " Uh, ok. Whatever you guys think is best." I don't think Pippa stormed into KP offices and played prima donna, and they released a statement to placate her.

I'm sure Pippa was the one that decided she wanted a small controlled media presence at her wedding. But she didn't need a KP letterhead for that. All she needed to do was privately contact the select few photographers she wanted, and tell them she would have spot for them and security clearance for them. Then they would release the photos through the PA or something similar.

There was also no need for KP to release an official royal guest list. Everybody already knew William, Catherine, George would be there. Charlotte and Harry were 50/50 and would have been confirmed with the released photos.

To me this really reeks of KP meddling into something for their own comfort/control without caring that it's not great optics for Pippa.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

In the UK weddings are technically not private events hence the wording re " if anyone has just cause or impediment" for this marriage not to take place.

It is also why C&C got married in the Guildhall instead of in Windsor Castle. License to hold a wedding means that venue can be used by others and be a public place.

My source for this info was a Registrar.

The reality is that strangers dont just turn up for other peoples weddings. (Uninvited people however do turn up for funerals tho).

And re earlier comment, Ive never thought the British people are interested in Pippa, but the media is.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I think KP took the lead, and informed Pippa that they wished to make a press statement to stop the endless inquiries they were getting. And Pippa said " Uh, ok. Whatever you guys think is best." I don't think Pippa stormed into KP offices and played prima donna, and they released a statement to placate her.
I very seriously doubt that KP took any kind of a lead on this release for the main reason being that they all are in the employ of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry and it would be quite a faux pas to do any kind of a press release without the bosses permission especially as it concerns the Cambridge family themselves and their extended family.

Nope. Not going to happen.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
In the UK weddings are technically not private events hence the wording re " if anyone has just cause or impediment" for this marriage not to take place.

It is also why C&C got married in the Guildhall instead of in Windsor Castle. License to hold a wedding means that venue can be used by others and be a public place.

My source for this info was a Registrar.

The reality is that strangers dont just turn up for other peoples weddings. (Uninvited people however do turn up for funerals tho).

And re earlier comment, Ive never thought the British people are interested in Pippa, but the media is.
But the estate that the church is on is private. So by limiting who has access to the estate, you're also limiting access to the church. Making it a private wedding. No one but guests is allowed in.

The press is lucky they're getting any access at all.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke and duchess of cambridge, kate middleton, new york, pippa middleton