Pippa Middleton: May 2011-May 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The format of the day appears to be

1.morning wedding (11:00 has been mentioned)
2.reception in marquee at the Middletons
3.evening party

I think if Meghan is invited, it will be to the party.

We probably won't see pictures from the reception or the evening party. Unless there is car drive by shot. We aren't going to know if someone went to the reception or party if they aren't pictured going or leaving the church.

Meghan Markle Will Attend Pippa Middleton's Wedding

If these overly intrusive and gossipy media stories are to be believed, many of you have hit the nail on the head. Supposedly Harry will be bringing Meghan to the after-reception, not the wedding ceremony. It makes sense to me. I really don't see what all the fuss is about in the media to begin with, aside from them trying to sell their publications.

Likely Pippa is not that overly concerned about the girlfriends of close family members attending either her wedding or the after-ceremony. She's probably more concerned about other logistics and details. There's a lot involved in putting a wedding together. The intense media interest is purely because Pippa is Duchess Kate's sister and because Harry has a new American girlfriend (and there's also some flak in the media about other relatives' girlfriends). Oy vey!

It's Pippa's wedding and her family will ensure that it's special and about her. No one either during the ceremony or at the reception are going to be ogling other invited guests' girlfriends to extent of overshadowing or ignoring the bride! I can't say the same for the media, of course. But hopefully, paps will not get intrusive pictures of Harry and his girlfriend to broadcast all over the media after the fact.

Last edited:
The format of the day appears to be

1.morning wedding (11:00 has been mentioned)
2.reception in marquee at the Middletons
3.evening party

I think if Meghan is invited, it will be to the party.

What's the point of going if you're just going to the reception or party? I would think if Meghan is invited and she can make it, she's going to the wedding and reception and party.

Very simple reasoning here. The church only holds so many people. The marquee at the Middletons will probably hold a lot more people hence Meghan attending the reception and not the ceremony. I've seen this done quite a few times both ways. Invited to the ceremony but not the reception as its a smaller venue or there is a ban on children and not invited to the church but to the reception to celebrate.

It makes a lot of sense to me actually. Meghan isn't close to Pippa and those are the people she wants at the actual ceremony.

What's the point of going if you're just going to the reception or party? I would think if Meghan is invited and she can make it, she's going to the wedding and reception and party.

This is not unusual in the UK - in fact its similar to what William and Catherine did (though not everyone in the church went to the reception).

Close family and friends get invited to marriage ceremony and reception; wider circle of friends are invited to the evening do!

Yes, it reminds me of a recent slideshow with details from a biography of Prince Charles, in which it was revealed that Kate and William told Queen Elizabeth that they were unhappy with the Palace's guest list for their wedding. QE told them to tear it up and make their own list, and the Palace would simply deal with any flak that might arise re some personages that Will & Kate didn't know and didn't want at their wedding ceremony, not being invited.

Yes, it reminds me of a recent slideshow with details from a biography of Prince Charles, in which it was revealed that Kate and William told Queen Elizabeth that they were unhappy with the Palace's guest list for their wedding. QE told them to tear it up and make their own list, and the Palace would simply deal with any flak that might arise re some personages that Will & Kate didn't know and didn't want at their wedding ceremony, not being invited.

I think that story is a bit exaggerated. Just watching the wedding you could see half the building was filled with people the couple barely knew or never met before, and Charles invited a bunch of his middle-age friends there. I think it was more a matter of "Hey, this building seats 1000, you two can have 500 to invite whoever you want and Charles and the advisors will work out the remaining 500."

William and Kate's wedding was basically the opposite. The largest group was at the church and then got smaller through the reception and the smallest group was the evening party.

Pippa isn't getting married in a cathedral like her sister did so the church is smallest group with potential attendee growth for the post ceremony festivities

According to an interview William did he discussed it with the Queen and she told him to get rid of the list he'd been given and for he and Kate to decide.

LaRae

According to an interview William did he discussed it with the Queen and she told him to get rid of the list he'd been given and for he and Kate to decide.

LaRae

Indeed. He was given some input instead of no input.

Some? From the way William said it the Queen gave him carte blanche to determine the guest list. He asked her who he had to invite and he was told none of them (on the list).

LaRae

Some? From the way William said it the Queen gave him carte blanche to determine the guest list. He asked her who he had to invite and he was told none of them (on the list).

LaRae

If William and Catherine only invited people they were close with it's strange that only about 200 of the 1000 guests made it to the couple's evening party. I also struggle to believe that the Cambridges are good friends with all the foreign royals that attended, or the government members of the 15 realms who attended, or the then current UK politicians who attended, or the UK religious leaders who attended, or all of the middle-age friends of Charles who attended, including Rowan Atkinson :lol:. Strange choices for a couple who has total carte blanche. But believe what you choose, I'll do the same.

Very simple reasoning here. The church only holds so many people. The marquee at the Middletons will probably hold a lot more people hence Meghan attending the reception and not the ceremony. I've seen this done quite a few times both ways. Invited to the ceremony but not the reception as its a smaller venue or there is a ban on children and not invited to the church but to the reception to celebrate.

It makes a lot of sense to me actually. Meghan isn't close to Pippa and those are the people she wants at the actual ceremony.

But why single Meghan out? If her boyfriend is attending, then I'm sure there's room for her to attend with him. This is all based on if she's able to go period.

I'm looking forward to this wedding. Been waiting to see another Middleton get married. Next, all eyes will be on James and Donna.

Last edited:
But why single Meghan out? If her boyfriend is attending, then I'm sure there's room for her to attend with him. This is all based on if she's able to go period.

I'm looking forward to this wedding. Been waiting to see another Middleton get married. Next, all eyes will be on James and Donna.

Like other's have mentioned the church is small, there isn't room for filler seats (gf/bfs) when you are trying to cram in all your family and close friends.

Also it's not that common in the UK high society for a bf/gf to be given an invite. Both Percy daughters had large grand weddings, yet Pippa didn't get to bring Alex to Katie's wedding, and she didn't get to bring Nico to Missy's wedding. Tom Parker-Bowles had an extended family wedding that Catherine and Chelsy weren't invited to even though their boyfriends were there. Jack Brooksbank wasn't invited to either William or Zara's weddings even though he had been with Eugenie for over a year at that point.

Meghan getting an invite, even just to a reception, is rather abnormal, so I'm not sure why you're so surprised that Meghan might not be sitting in a pew.

Last edited:
We also don't know that Meghan was the only person to get the invite with "reception only" on it. There could be multiple others. :D

Although I think some are over thinking these wedding invites, it should be a great day.

No one is singling her out .

For all we know, IF there is a separation of invites, it is being applied to all cases.

She is the girlfriend of her brother-in-law's brother. That is way way beyond extended family and friends. In fact I don't supposed the Bride and Groom have even met her.

Frankly, Harry getting an invite surprised me!

If William and Catherine only invited people they were close with it's strange that only about 200 of the 1000 guests made it to the couple's evening party. I also struggle to believe that the Cambridges are good friends with all the foreign royals that attended, or the government members of the 15 realms who attended, or the then current UK politicians who attended, or the UK religious leaders who attended, or all of the middle-age friends of Charles who attended, including Rowan Atkinson :lol:. Strange choices for a couple who has total carte blanche. But believe what you choose, I'll do the same.

I never said 'only inviting the people they were close to'. The point was they clearly had control of the guest list. That doesn't mean they weren't going to invite certain folks...they do know protocol also.

All you need to do is look up the interview. I see no reason to think William was making it up.

LaRae

I get the whole concept, though seems odd to me. Here you choose a venue that can hold the people you want to invite and they attend all. Only difference may be kids. Receptions are often adult only. But then again the three events is odd to me. You have the weddung and then you have the reception which is both the dinner and party. Maybe a cocktail hour before but usually part.

I get Meghan not being invited to the ceremony. But I also don't see her going just for the party. Even if that is the way things are done. We're not talking a day trip from London. To take a leave from filming to fly to the uk, to attend the party of a woman she has never met seems unlikely. Now if it was a close friend of Harry, my opinion may be different. Someone like Skippy and his wife will have a much more significant part in their future if she marries Harry than Pippa.

No ring no bring is kind of unspoken around here. Likely because having a plus one on your invite rarely if ever happens. If the person you are dating is not serious enough to name on the invitation, even if not engaged, then not serious enough to invite. The whole wedding date thing is impractical. Not only do you end up not knowing how many people will attend, bit then you end up with a whole bunch of people you don't know. It's a wedding, not a club night.

With reading about the plans that Pippa has for "the" day, my thoughts went to picturing a church wedding with, in attendance, close family members and close friends of the couple. Then there's the afternoon party/dinner where the Middleton's business associates and Matthew's "obligatory" invites and the older aunts and uncles and great godmother Prudence come and toast the bride and the groom. Then... like with Will and Kate's wedding, the younger folks get to let their hair down and party hardy and the older folks are not sitting in some corner drooling in their champagne and nodding off to the land of Nod.

I can see kids being around for the afternoon event but whisked off to bed before the night time party begins. Its a way of fitting everyone in to enjoy at least part of Pippa and James' new life together.

We don't know specifically why Meghan would be in the UK for a week and to be honest, right now I'm leaning towards that its more speculation than an actual fact. It doesn't really matter when it comes to Pippa's wedding.

No one is singling her out .

For all we know, IF there is a separation of invites, it is being applied to all cases.

She is the girlfriend of her brother-in-law's brother. That is way way beyond extended family and friends. In fact I don't supposed the Bride and Groom have even met her.

Frankly, Harry getting an invite surprised me!

Remember, Pippa has known Harry for years. Since Catherine started dating William and they got to know his family. Harry is part of their family too. They're not strangers to each other. I'm not surprised by his wedding invite at all.

Last edited:
Remember, Pippa has known Harry for years. Since Catherine started dating William and they got to know his family. Harry is part of their family too. They're not strangers to each other. I'm not surprised by his wedding invite at all.

I was surprised at all the folks that seem to think the Middletons have no connection to Harry. He's known Kate nearly as long as William has and she and Pippa are close. They share friends. I'd have been shocked if Harry wasn't invited.

I was surprised at all the folks that seem to think the Middletons have no connection to Harry. He's known Kate nearly as long as William has and she and Pippa are close. They share friends. I'd have been shocked if Harry wasn't invited.

Not least because Pippa almost certainly would never damage her own chances of being invited to Harry's wedding by failing to invite him to hers. Which, TBH, is why I believe that Meghan got an invitation to the ceremony, reception, and party; there's a non-zero chance that the bride in question at Harry's wedding will be Meghan.

Not least because Pippa almost certainly would never damage her own chances of being invited to Harry's wedding by failing to invite him to hers. Which, TBH, is why I believe that Meghan got an invitation to the ceremony, reception, and party; there's a non-zero chance that the bride in question at Harry's wedding will be Meghan.

:previous:
If you know a prince, you invite him to your wedding! (I certainly would)

I don't think that there's really any ulterior motive to inviting Harry to Pippa's wedding. With the closeness of family, I'd be very surprised even if Pippa still regarded Harry as Prince rather than just Harry who is her sister's brother-in-law.

When these people get together, they are not seeing Prince, Earl, Countess or any title but actually seeing and interacting with these people as real, live human beings.

I would think its pretty much a given that should Harry marry, Pippa and James Matthews would be a couple on the invite list. :D

Does anyone other than me think that either:
1. Pippa simply asked Harry if he wanted to come, and if he wanted a plus one. OR
2. Pippa asked Kate to ask Harry the same thing.

And then let the answer guide the choice? Because that's how I would have handled it if my Sister were the future Queen and I knew my brother in law, but we were not necessarily texting all the time. And of course if there were just public "issues" no matter what one did. JMO

:previous: One of the best observations I've seen in a long time. With Pippa and Kate being sisters, you have to know that they're in cahoots about anything wedding just as Pippa was right by Kate for her wedding. Its what sisters do.

Most likely the scenario you've presented is exactly what happened. :D

Does anyone other than me think that either:
1. Pippa simply asked Harry if he wanted to come, and if he wanted a plus one. OR
2. Pippa asked Kate to ask Harry the same thing.

And then let the answer guide the choice? Because that's how I would have handled it if my Sister were the future Queen and I knew my brother in law, but we were not necessarily texting all the time. And of course if there were just public "issues" no matter what one did. JMO

Well-said! :flowers:

So much that has been said about the no ring, no bring is just the tabloids guessing, imo. I think Pippa would have handled things the way you described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom