The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's funny because Nigella Lawson (the TV chef) has a series on in the UK at the moment called 'Nigellissima'. It's themed around Italian food and Nigella's experiences of much time spent there. She's been getting bucket loads of criticism about her recipes not being 'authentic', that she doesn't understand Italian cuisine and that she's offering the British public a 'bastardisation' of Italian food.

In much the same way, I've seen some criticism from the Scottish media ripping Pippa to shreds because of how 'incorrect' her Burns Night party tips are.

In both cases people are being deliberately harsh and unnecessarily scathing. Neither Nigella nor Pippa have sold their respective books as the definitive in their particular niches. They're not claiming to be foremost experts in their field. All they're doing is giving their own personal takes on the topics they've chosen to write about. It's important that we all take these books for what they are - not the ultimate 'bible' in how Italians eat or how Scots celebrate Hogmany, but inoffensive personal recommendations that we can either choose to buy or to leave on the shelf.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Majesty

I prefer Nigellas Lawson because she is not tanned. 'Bastardisation' is a correct word to describe many endevaours of various western chefs and party planners.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
From what I can remember, Tom was not a trained chef or a successful restauranteur, which are usually the two main paths that people have to go down for any hope of a deal to write a cookbook. He's made the most of his hugely fortunate and privileged position, to which I think we all would say, bravo.
Neither is Nigella Lawson. The shelves in my local bookstore are filled with other books written by non-chefs or restauranteurs.

Tom is a restaurant critic/food writer and they are often not trained chefs or restauranteurs.

I think the difference is that Tom generally does not get very much publicity at all except when promoting his books, Pippa has not been out of the press since the wedding despite having done nothing (until her book was published) to warrant the attention, wished for or not.

It's all very well saying she's treated unfairly because she is a woman, the flip side is that because she's a woman she's had far more free publicity than a man in her position (her brother for example).
Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB

Neither is Nigella Lawson. The shelves in my local bookstore are filled with other books written by non-chefs or restauranteurs.

Tom is a restaurant critic/food writer and they are often not trained chefs or restauranteurs.

I think the difference is that Tom generally does not get very much publicity at all except when promoting his books, Pippa has not been out of the press since the wedding despite having done nothing (until her book was published) to warrant the attention, wished for or not.

It's all very well saying she's treated unfairly because she is a woman, the flip side is that because she's a woman she's had far more free publicity than a man in her position (her brother for example).
Well said. Just to stray off track for a second, I think part of it is that Tom is Camilla's son. She was the most reviled woman in the UK at one point, so in a way you could look at it as that any success he has had has been in spite of his parentage. Just like any success Pippa has will almost be despite the fact that she's a Middleton.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post

Nigella Lawson is the daughter of the former Chancellor of the Exchequer, Nigel (now Lord) Lawson. Her brother Dominic was the editor of the Sunday Telegraph. She became very famous in the UK as during one of her cookery series we could see that her journalist husband was fighting cancer, and actually died from the disease during filming. She's now married to Charles Saatchi, a multi-millionaire advertising tycoon and modern art collector. Nigella had the sort of opportunities which, I have no doubt, helped get her on TV and a book deal.

The most popular cookbooks in the UK, by a country mile, are written by trained chefs and restauranteurs - Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey, Heston Blumenthal, Raymond Blanc, James Martin etc.

TomParker-Bowles is featured regularly in the society pages of newspapers and magazines, not only when he's selling his books. I've seen him on TV several times.

Pippa gets press attention because people are interested in her. I know this for a fact because I bought the handbag she carried outside the Goring Hotel the day after the wedding. It cost me £149 and I sold it for almost £400 on eBay, with messages from people all over the world wanting to buy it. Whether she deserves the attention is basically irrelevant at this stage.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Off topic but I like Nigella. She is great to look at, funny, doesn't take herself or her cooking too seriously and really doesn't care what other people think of her which I find quite refreshing.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I prefer Nigellas Lawson because she is not tanned. 'Bastardisation' is a correct word to describe many endevaours of various western chefs and party planners.
Even if that's true, so what?
There's hundreds of these books on the market, each offering a different take.
And what some consider dull and boring, others consider low-key and charming.

People are free to buy them or to let them alone.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Majesty

Well ... there is nothing wrong with the disposable trashy culture.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Majesty

I don't think that it's only British people. I've run into it on this side of the ocean as well. Some of it has to do with how the person who "done good" treats the people that they knew "back when." A person who "never forgets where s/he came from" is generally better thought of. Take the first Lord Beaverbrook. He's hugely respected in his home province because he continued to support the area in spite of having become a British Peer.

Quote:
I think there is a huge amount of jealousy among critics being demonstrated too, though. It's one of the more distasteful characteristics of British people generally - we're instinctively somewhat suspicious and sceptical of people who do make it up the social scale.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Serene Highness

What will James say? Pippa Middleton steps out with mystery man at Mayfair members club | Mail Online

I really like Pippa and she certainly has no problem attracting posh men
Old 11-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Nigella Lawson is the daughter of the former Chancellor of the Exchequer, Nigel (now Lord) Lawson. Her brother Dominic was the editor of the Sunday Telegraph. She became very famous in the UK as during one of her cookery series we could see that her journalist husband was fighting cancer, and actually died from the disease during filming. She's now married to Charles Saatchi, a multi-millionaire advertising tycoon and modern art collector. Nigella had the sort of opportunities which, I have no doubt, helped get her on TV and a book deal.
No doubt Nigella was the daughter of the former Chancellor of the Exchequer, but lets not forget that Nigella was a formidable journalist in her own right. She was a leading book reviewer and a food and restaurant critic, and later Literary Editor of The Sunday Times. The TV series followed her highly successful book "How to Eat". And whilst the illness and subsequent death of John Diamond, himself a well known journalist, was well chronicled in the UK press, I think it is highly unlikely she would have got the repeat shows had she not been popular with her readers and viewers.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
No doubt Nigella was the daughter of the former Chancellor of the Exchequer, but lets not forget that Nigella was a formidable journalist in her own right. She was a leading book reviewer and a food and restaurant critic, and later Literary Editor of The Sunday Times. The TV series followed her highly successful book "How to Eat". And whilst the illness and subsequent death of John Diamond, himself a well known journalist, was well chronicled in the UK press, I think it is highly unlikely she would have got the repeat shows had she not been popular with her readers and viewers.
I agree totally, Muriel. I've been a Nigella fan for years and own a couple of her cookbooks (she made chocolate pasta with pecan and butterscotch sauce on her show the other night; I had no idea chocolate pasta existed). She's a really clever woman who has grabbed opportunities and made a big success of them.

My point is simply that her background and connections must have helped her get to a place where people took her seriously as a cook in her own right. She's justified the gamble her publishers and producers at the BBC took. We'll see if Pippa can do the same.

Al_Bina said:

Quote:
I prefer Nigellas Lawson because she is not tanned.
Nigella goes to great lengths to avoid the dreaded plebeian tan.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Majesty

It is wise on Nigella's part to do so. She has got a lovely porcelain complexion.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Pippa Middleton steps out in a monochrome outfit as she dines out | Mail Online
Old 11-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Pippa Middleton’s book proves a real scoop for Mencap:
PIPPA Middleton was in Bucklebury on Friday, helping raise funds for West Berkshire Mencap-
Pippa Middleton’s book proves a real scoop for Mencap | NewburyToday.co.uk

Miss Middleton signed copies of her book, Celebrate: A Year of Festivities for Families and Friends, at L Interiors in her home village of Chapel Row, Bucklebury.
And Miss Middleton, whose book is published by Penguin, asked for all proceeds from the event to go to West Berkshire Mencap.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Love hearing about Pippa out and about doing great things.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman
Pippa Middleton’s book proves a real scoop for Mencap:
PIPPA Middleton was in Bucklebury on Friday, helping raise funds for West Berkshire Mencap-
Pippa Middleton’s book proves a real scoop for Mencap | NewburyToday.co.uk

Miss Middleton signed copies of her book, Celebrate: A Year of Festivities for Families and Friends, at L Interiors in her home village of Chapel Row, Bucklebury.
And Miss Middleton, whose book is published by Penguin, asked for all proceeds from the event to go to West Berkshire Mencap.
Wonder why other press agencies dont report this instead of crap about her eating dinner.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Love all: Pippa Middleton puts poor book sales behind her as she enjoys the tennis with brother James-
Pippa Middleton puts poor book sales behind her as she enjoys the tennis with brother James | Mail Online
Old 11-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbutterfly View Post
Wonder why other press agencies dont report this instead of crap about her eating dinner.
Honestly I don't know. Some of the press is only interested in the juicy gossip and her love life. Right now they are so intertested in publishing stories about her book sales that they're not paying attention that she's out doing something for a worthy cause.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Courtier

Her book is 7th on the NYTimes best seller list Best Sellers - The New York Times and sold out on Amazon Canada Celebrate: Amazon.ca: Pippa Middleton: Books

Thanks to @royal_beans

Tags
duke and duchess of cambridge, kate middleton, new york, pippa middleton