The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1201  
Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I do think Pippa is different. Her book is not intended at all to be scholarly - it's for fun for everyday people who want to throw theme parties. Additionally, I doubt Tom has ever been lionized in the press for his bum.

And thank heavens Pippa is no Martha Stewart - as a recovering Martha devotee it took me years to unlearn her uncompromising zeal for perfect everything - as if everything CAN be perfect. I drove my family nuts for years following her zealous antics for the home/hearth/table.

I agree that family should be able to support Pippa as Camilla supports Tom. However as Pippa pointed out, she's known because of her sister and her bum. So I find it a loving gesture that her sister NOT show up and direct the spotlight away from Pippa. While Camilla can show up and not have the press go mad over the cost of her frock, Kate cannot. I think the sisters understand that and that this was their choice for Pippa's time to shine. I'm sure they chatted on the phone throughout the day. Good for them. I think it was a great UNSELFISH choice.
As a guy it may sound weird for me to say this but I'm also a fan of Martha's. She comes off has perfect but Martha will be Martha. Yes, you can drive your family nuts by following Martha's ideas.

I don't think William & Catherine would've allowed the media attention to stop them for coming out and supporting Pippa if they could've made it. It's great that she is having her time to shine and see that there's more to her than her bottom. I think she is showing everybody, including the media, that she have a brain and skills and her bottom is not the only thing she have going for her.

I think if people and media are going to treat Tom Parker Bowles with some respect over his books and promotions , the same should be done for Pippa. Fair is fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Two reasons are people are being harsh on Pippa for doing the same thing that Tom has done.

1) She's a Middleton
2) She's a woman
I agree. That's a shame if you as me.

I also hear some journalist are upset that Pippa hasn't done any major interviews or TV appearences to help promote "Celebrate."
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1202  
Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Two reasons people are being harsh on Pippa for doing the same thing that Tom has done.

1) She's a Middleton
2) She's a woman
You hit the nail on the head!!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1203  
Old 10-29-2012, 02:17 PM
hkittybaby's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: london, United Kingdom
Posts: 890
Pippa Middleton dating banker brother of Made In Chelsea star Spencer Matthews | Mail Online
Reply With Quote
  #1204  
Old 10-31-2012, 05:48 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,868
A positive review:

Partying like Pippa Middleton: fun, but all too perfect for me - Telegraph
The reviewer resumes: "Will I keep the book? Yes, because while the prose makes me wince, it’s a nice compendium of very British jollity. And you never know, I might even make a seating plan this year."
Reply With Quote
  #1205  
Old 10-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Queen Penelope's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Camrose, Canada
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche

Two reasons people are being harsh on Pippa for doing the same thing that Tom has done.

1) She's a Middleton
2) She's a woman
I think the reason is because the press still continues to hype her up, calling her "perfect pippa" and "her royal hotness" for wearing a dress a year and a half ago. Had there been no articles and such written about Pippa after the wedding frenzy went out, I don't think many would be so harsh. Fair play to her for taking advantage of opportunities as they come. I don't find Pippa annoying at all, but the press building her up and such is what I find annoying. Maybe that's the problem people have with the Middletons? We're not use to hearing about the in-laws of the royals.
Reply With Quote
  #1206  
Old 10-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
A positive review:

Partying like Pippa Middleton: fun, but all too perfect for me - Telegraph
The reviewer resumes: "Will I keep the book? Yes, because while the prose makes me wince, it’s a nice compendium of very British jollity. And you never know, I might even make a seating plan this year."

Of course she should keep the book!

(This may be a digression, but one of my pet peeves is someone who reads a book and then returns it to the store! That is so tacky.
If you've read it, you should pay...or else take it out at the library!)
Reply With Quote
  #1207  
Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Penelope View Post
I think the reason is because the press still continues to hype her up, calling her "perfect pippa" and "her royal hotness" for wearing a dress a year and a half ago. Had there been no articles and such written about Pippa after the wedding frenzy went out, I don't think many would be so harsh. Fair play to her for taking advantage of opportunities as they come. I don't find Pippa annoying at all, but the press building her up and such is what I find annoying. Maybe that's the problem people have with the Middletons? We're not use to hearing about the in-laws of the royals.
Well, I think with this advanced media age, the Middletons are in a tough spot. True, there's a lot of media hype about Pippa and the rest of the family but that's not their fault, so I don't think people should take their anger out on them because they haven't done anything wrong.

All Pippa and her family can do is try to handle the media attention the best way they can. It can't be easy for them to have the tabloids stalking them and their business.

I think those journalist at the Daily Mail, Sun, Telegraph, etc are just waiting for that family to slip up, especially the online commentors.

I personally would be a little paranoid, I think.
Reply With Quote
  #1208  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Queen Penelope's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Camrose, Canada
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman

Well, I think with this advanced media age, the Middletons are in a tough spot. True, there's a lot of media hype about Pippa and the rest of the family but that's not their fault, so I don't think people should take their anger out on them because they haven't done anything wrong.

All Pippa and her family can do is try to handle the media attention the best way they can. It can't be easy for them to have the tabloids stalking them and their business.

I think those journalist at the Daily Mail, Sun, Telegraph, etc are just waiting for that family to slip up, especially the online commentors.

I personally would be a little paranoid, I think.
I agree. The hype is not their fault, and The Middletons have handled the media attention exceptionally well. Yes, they've done nothing wrong, but unlike other royal in-laws we hear about them regularly, so right or wrong there's bound to be some backlash if you are in the press frequently. IMO, I think the reason people are harsh about Pippa's book is that without the royal connections, one doubts the book would have been published. Again, fair play to her, but she doesn't appear to have merit it in her own right, but rather, is riding the attention from the wedding and connection to Kate. That, IMO, is where people have a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #1209  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Penelope View Post
I agree. The hype is not their fault, and The Middletons have handled the media attention exceptionally well. Yes, they've done nothing wrong, but unlike other royal in-laws we hear about them regularly, so right or wrong there's bound to be some backlash if you are in the press frequently. IMO, I think the reason people are harsh about Pippa's book is that without the royal connections, one doubts the book would have been published. Again, fair play to her, but she doesn't appear to have merit it in her own right, but rather, is riding the attention from the wedding and connection to Kate. That, IMO, is where people have a problem.
You never know, Pippa may still have published a book on party planning and entertaining. Her family's business came along way before there was a William & Catherine. You can say the same about Tom Parker Bowles. He probably would've went on to publish his cookbooks, even if his mother wasn't linked and married to Charles. They are both using the media attention they have to their advantage and I would be doing the samething, if I was in their shoes.

I do think because Pippa is a Middleton and a woman, the media and others are giving her a harder time than they have done to Tom. Then again, despite the backlash, Pippa is handling all of this beautifully. She just glowed at her book launch and she look like she had a great time playing with the children at the party.

Also, I think being an royal in-law in todays media age is more difficult that what Diana's family went through in the eighties. Although Diana's family was already part of the aristocratic circle, after her marriage, the Spencers were at many society events, balls, Wembledon, etc. I'm sure even then people got a little tierd of seeing their pictures in the papers.

I also don't see people complaining when Crown Princess Mary's family are seen places or Charlene's. I just think the British media is just harsher on the Middletons and their non-aristocratic background. I think Mary and Charlene's family are happy they don't have to deal with the British media.
Reply With Quote
  #1210  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Also, I think being an royal in-law in todays media age is more difficult that what Diana's family went through in the eighties. Although Diana's family was already part of the aristocratic circle, after her marriage, the Spencers were at many society events, balls, Wembledon, etc. I'm sure even then people got a little tierd of seeing their pictures in the papers.
I doubt Diana's brother would have got his gig as "royal correspondent" for NBC had his sister not married The Prince of Wales.
Reply With Quote
  #1211  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I doubt Diana's brother would have got his gig as "royal correspondent" for NBC had his sister not married The Prince of Wales.
True and he has also written books, sell a collection of furniture and travel all over the place doing lectures. Also, Diana's sister (Lady Sarah McCorquodale) took up a informal role as the Princess of Wales's Lady-in-Waiting. Just the thought of Pippa doing something like this would have members of the media and others throwing themselves out of windows or something.

So the royal sibilings are all in a tight spot but they also take advantage of the opportunities as well. I think they know the opportunities comes with it's pitfalls too.
Reply With Quote
  #1212  
Old 10-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
So the royal sibilings are all in a tight spot but they also take advantage of the opportunities as well. I think they know the opportunities comes with it's pitfalls too.

Well, who doesn't take advantage of family connections?
The children of famous actors get parts because of their relatives, not their talent.
If you attend an Ivy-League school, your children become a legacy and will be admitted more quickly.
If you hold a high position in a business, you can get your children a job.
It's the same everywhere.
So why target royalty?
Reply With Quote
  #1213  
Old 10-31-2012, 03:01 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Tom was an established writer before his mother married Prince Charles.
This is entirely beside the point. Camilla was one of the most famous women in Britain for, literally, decades before she eventually married Charles. The entire country knew that Camilla and Charles were together for many years before finally tying the knot. As a result Tom, as the son of the woman closest to the future King, had an enormous leg-up in terms of name recognition, contacts within the upper echelons of society, and the huge press coverage that the Parker-Bowles family received.

From what I can remember, Tom was not a trained chef or a successful restauranteur, which are usually the two main paths that people have to go down for any hope of a deal to write a cookbook. He's made the most of his hugely fortunate and privileged position, to which I think we all would say, bravo.

Pippa was already well known before Kate married William, appearing in the society pages of the newspapers and magazines. She'd been writing a newsletter for Party Pieces (one of the most successful companies of its type in the UK) with tips on entertaining for several years. It's not at all obvious that she would never have got a book deal. The deal she got was probably more lucrative as a result of her sister's marriage, but it's difficult to say with any degree of certainty how successful or otherwise she would've been if circumstances were different.
Reply With Quote
  #1214  
Old 10-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Well, who doesn't take advantage of family connections?
The children of famous actors get parts because of their relatives, not their talent.
If you attend an Ivy-League school, your children become a legacy and will be admitted more quickly.
If you hold a high position in a business, you can get your children a job.
It's the same everywhere.
So why target royalty?
I agree. In the professional world in some cases it's not what you know (despite your knowledge in the field) but it's who you know. Trust me when I say, if my sister or brother was a senior member of a royal family, a actor or actress and well known in business, I too would try to take the advantages and make the most of it in a postive way.
Reply With Quote
  #1215  
Old 10-31-2012, 03:33 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,658
It happens in all walks of life. For example, I studied law at university and was trying to decide if I wanted to go on and become a solicitor or a barrister. The lecturers and tutors o nmy course told us, in no uncertain terms, that unless we had some contacts within the legal community, we had no hope of making it as barristers. The reason being that barristers rely on being referred cases by solicitors, so if you didn't know many solicitors you simply would not get work. Barristers without those connections would struggle to earn over £10k per year in their early years in the profession, whereas top ranking barristers can make £1 million annually.

Contacts and connections are the oil that keeps the cogs turning in many different walks of life, not only in the UK, but all over the world. It may not be fair, it's the way things are.
Reply With Quote
  #1216  
Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 PM
miche's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 733
If being a party planner is not merit on it on to write a party planning book I don't know what is. Of course we have some people (The Daily Mail) who wants the Middleton close or sell their business I soon as Kate started dating William
Reply With Quote
  #1217  
Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Queen Penelope's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Camrose, Canada
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
If being a party planner is not merit on it on to write a party planning book I don't know what is. Of course we have some people (The Daily Mail) who wants the Middleton close or sell their business I soon as Kate started dating William
Pretty sure this is directed at my comment (sorry if it's not )

Please re read my post...
"Again, fair play to her, but she doesn't appear to have merit it in her own right, but rather, is riding the attention from the wedding and connection to Kate. That, IMO, is where people have a problem"

To paraphrase what I said, this book deal was (arguably) based mostly on the attention of her appearance at the royal wedding/connection to Kate and not so much on her talent as a party planner (nothing wrong with that either!). She could very well be Pippa James (not Middleton) and have her book published, but in that case we would not be questioning that she got the book on her own merits. Her situation reminds me of that old saying that EIIR alluded to "it's not what you know, but who you know".

I say good for her for not wasting opportunities. She's making her own money and she should be proud of her efforts. I read excepts in "The Mail on Sunday" and it looked fun, the recipes seem easy to follow.
Reply With Quote
  #1218  
Old 10-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,437
That's just what she doing, she's putting her talents of writing and experience in the party planning business forward. She didn't use a ghost writer, she wrote 'Celebrate' herself. Pippa had the media following her before her sister married into the royal family. Although the wedding did put her and her family on the worlds map even more.
Reply With Quote
  #1219  
Old 10-31-2012, 05:57 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,658
I think there is a huge amount of jealousy among critics being demonstrated too, though. It's one of the more distasteful characteristics of British people generally - we're instinctively somewhat suspicious and sceptical of people who do make it up the social scale.

Allied to that is the resentment that many of these newspaper hacks have no likelihood of having a book of their own published because the vast majority of people don't know who they are and don't care to.
Reply With Quote
  #1220  
Old 10-31-2012, 06:00 PM
miche's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 733
Most if not the majority of people who have their book published are because of who they know and the connection they have made. Their own merits in most case mean "Networking"

That the way most business work and I don't see why we should go after others for using their connection.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duke and duchess of cambridge, kate middleton, new york, pippa middleton


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duchess of Cambridge: Family, Wealth and Background sara1981 The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 2614 Yesterday 09:06 AM
Catherine Middleton Jewellery (to April 2011) HRHAmy Royal Jewels 151 04-29-2011 08:39 AM
Prince William and Catherine Middleton Current Events 8: November 2009-April 29, 2011 Zonk Current Events Archive 1144 04-28-2011 08:00 PM
Catherine Middleton Current Events 1: November 2010-April 29, 2011 Warren Current Events Archive 451 04-28-2011 08:00 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style christening of prince oscar coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria's maternity fashion current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece jubilee celebration kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction military monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary and womens rights princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania style royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises