The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 AM
Commoner

Don't play with guns, real or otherwise.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 AM
Royal Highness

From the Guardian about the Time list and Catherine and Pippa's placing there:

Time magazine labels Middleton sisters 'avatars of aspiration' in annual list | UK news | guardian.co.uk

They quote Time Magazine:

"To appreciate the remarkable rise of the siblings whose very name, Middleton, seemed to presage an unremarkable life among their fellow commoners, you must first appreciate the forces that keep most Britons in their place," Time magazine's Europe editor, Catherine Mayer, writes of their inclusion.
"Snobbery is one luxury all classes feel able to afford. The man and woman in the UK street are swift to mock the upwardly mobile," the citation continues.
Their entry points to the media's "muttered nasty somethings" about the duchess's ambition to "wed above her station", pointing to her supposed nickname of "Waity Katie" and bracketing her and Pippa, 28, as "the wisteria sisters" determined to climb.
Pippa is now "globally recognised, especially from behind", it states, undoubtedly in reference to the Sarah Burton bridesmaid dress that drew so much comment at her sister's wedding. Incidentally, Burton is also listed. Paparazzi photographs of the two sisters are offered to picture editors regularly.
"These images matter. The Middletons have become avatars of aspiration," it says. Yet they are "latter day Mona Lisas" who "smile mysteriously and keep their mouths closed", it adds.
"In an age of bleating, tweeting, confessional celebrity, the middle-class Middletons show their real class," the magazine continues.

If one looks at it this way, they surely had an influence on Britain and British society.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:29 AM
Commoner

And guess what! Pippa is not stupid !
Old 04-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post

I've been seeing comments like the ones you quoted (from ONTD) since the wedding, so opinions on Pippa haven't changed. There have always been some that disliked her and didn't get the hype and some that liked her. In fact, if you read back through old ONTD posts about Pippa, you'll see these same type of comments. People questioning her beauty, calling her names, wondering why the media is all over her, etc.

Very true, and to that I say what I've said all along: there wouldn't be this type of media hype unless people wanted to read it!
If Pippa hadn't been involved, that party wouldn't even rate a paragraph in a local paper.

But like her or hate her, Pippa sells papers! As long as there are hundreds of comments about her (her looks, her clothes, her dates, her parties) we can look forward to more of the same.

To those people who wonder why she gets so much attention, and who made her a front page fixture, I respond Look in the mirror!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Two words, 'new money'

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Two words, 'new money'
I personally see Pippa as the victim of these French guys. And they are definately old money and old blood. Most probably they didn't feel they have to accord a "Miss Middleton" the same respect and protection they would accord a "Demoiselle du Faubourg-St.Germain".

And, let's face it: in times when the noble ladies of the Brudenell-Bruce-family (to name only one illustrous family) job as lingerie models (Florence B-B) or upcoming popstars (Lady Catherine "Bo" B-B), a profession as a party planner is as high society/old money as any other. But to plan parties, sell those ideas to customers and organize the bashes, one need to be on the scene, one have to have first-hand experience with the more funky parties of the world.
After she was able to enjoy the hospitality of this Vicomte previously without any ado and only short reports on her attending the French Open with him, she in all probability could not foresee such an occurance.

I believe she now will make up her mind about her future and she surely will listen to William's advice. Her brother-in-law strikes me as a man perfectly able to command attention from his family and environment, he appears level-headed, warm, understanding buit as a non-nonsense man. And he cares for his wife's family.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
...To those people who wonder why she gets so much attention...I respond Look in the mirror!
...and this thread alone: 50 pages, just shy of 1,000 posts, with over 110 posts made in the last 3-4 days...
Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I personally see Pippa as the victim of these French guys. And they are definately old money and old blood. Most probably they didn't feel they have to accord a "Miss Middleton" the same respect and protection they would accord a "Demoiselle du Faubourg-St.Germain".

I see Pippa as a woman who is intelligent enough to take caution where necessary.

Certainly Pippa's amusement indicates that she herlsef thought it somewhat amusing (the slight grin on her face would indicate to the affirmitive).

I'm not surprised by the incident, it's just unfortunate that she allowed herself to be caught amongst it. Do we really think the toy gun toting fool would have extracted the provocative item were Pippa not in the car? Odds are it wouldn't have happened. And do we really think the person in question would even really care? I'm sure he's unphased being that he reportedly had only known Miss Middleton a mere few hours. What's a laugh for him is controversy for her. I'm sure he slept well enough that night!

She is collatoral revenue for being 'the' sister. Anything she does will sell and in that regard, I do empathise with the position in which she now finds herself, but it can't be changed. Only managed.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-20-2012, 01:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Mr Rabillard, the man with the gun, is a French lawyer. I don't think Pippa knew him before the party. He is a friend of her friend the Viscomte, the other man in the car. I doubt she knew anything about the gun, or would have any reason to ask if he had a gun, he was merely driving her to the train station.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Courtier

Pippa Middleton's London Mane Pampering | GossipCenter - Entertainment News Leaders
Old 04-21-2012, 02:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
After she was able to enjoy the hospitality of this Vicomte previously without any ado and only short reports on her attending the French Open with him, she in all probability could not foresee such an occurance.
She couldn't, despite attending a ball that had more than enough debauchery to make the son of a dictator blush? If she didn't see them coming, see this coming, then I am sure that she doesn't know these poeple as well as she thinks she does.

Quote:
Most probably they didn't feel they have to accord a "Miss Middleton" the same respect and protection they would accord a "Demoiselle du Faubourg-St.Germain".
Which is why it is important she be made to realize and accept taht she isn't one of them, one of the aristocrats and that she can't really get away with these things or be treated as well an old blood female aristocrat might.

Quote:
I personally see Pippa as the victim of these French guys.
She should not at all have gone there, not knowing them as well as she should. Don't our families warn us about going off ot foreign countries to hang with strange men that we might not know well, if at all?

Quote:
I believe she now will make up her mind about her future and she surely will listen to William's advice.
Well, quite frankly, he should tell her (and she should listen) that she needs to let go of this climbing and scale back her expectations and requirements in regards to what she might think is a suitble match for herself.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
S
Well, quite frankly, he should tell her (and she should listen) that she needs to let go of this climbing and scale back her expectations and requirements in regards to what she might think is a suitble match for herself.
I didn't mean it that way, I wasn't talking about marriage but about her professional life, which is centered around partying.

And honestly, what kind of hypocrite do you think William is? He is the future king of the Uk and he should tell his SIL that even though he thought her sister to be good enough to become his queen one day, she OTOH should "scale back her expectations" as a French Viscount is above her? For someone who himself showed that it is love that matters and not lineage as long as the background (upbringing and education) is okay, this would be so ridiculous! He should rather tell her to look out for a steady character who loves her and will protect her, no matter what his position in society. A certain Earl comes to mind, who appears to be a nice guy...
Old 04-21-2012, 02:47 AM
Serene Highness

In my opinion simply because she was with these people, despite the fact that they are "aristocrats", doesn't mean she is "climbing". I don't think she needs to "scale back" I just think she needs to be a bit more aware of the people she is going to be with. I do think she made a mistake by being with them simply because they appear to be of the eurotrash variety despite their so called blue blood. It is unfortunate that she found herself with these people but regrettably people sometimes make mistakes regarding who they befriend. Clearly, they were using her for the attention she generates.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
She couldn't, despite attending a ball that had more than enough debauchery to make the son of a dictator blush?

Don't our families warn us about going off ot foreign countries to hang with strange men that we might not know well, if at all?
sorry you make me laugh: ^'debauchery to make the son of a dictator blush' ... I have been to parties like that - there is nothing to blush for. It's just what it looks like: a fancy dress party . I've attended parties like that in Europe e.g. Venice and Zurich - with perfectly normal people present: no Dictators sons, no aristocrats, no middletons .. just middleclass people like myself - with there husbands or friends - and enjoyed s.th enormously. The only difference beeing, that no media was present.

And NO my familie never warned me to go to 'foreign countries' - they had me go to nice french familys when I was 14 years old, helping me with my french .. Every summer I used to go to foreign countries (Spain, France, England, Italy), because in our circles it is deemed important, that young people look farther than there native country, it is important to learn different languages and customs - I'm sure there are a lot of US-citizens who have never left there country and think, their way of living is the ONLY way to do it .. well maybe it is not
Old 04-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm puzzled as to these French titles: I noticed that both Arthur and Marcy are described as Vicomtes!

How can both brothers be Vicomtes? Isn't the title reserved for the eldest son, or do things work differently in France?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
sorry you make me laugh: ^'debauchery to make the son of a dictator blush' ... I have been to parties like that - there is nothing to blush for. It's just what it looks like: a fancy dress party .
I agree totally. There is nothing sordid or decadent in parties of that type. great fun in fact, and they happen in many locations (even in the UK- Vicars and Tarts anyone). I was brought up in England, but we would spend a lot of time each summer in France and also in Spain and Italy and Greece and other countries. It was thought important, and normal in our family, to be exposed to different people and languages so that we would be aware of the fact that there is a big world out there beyond our own country.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:20 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Pippa Middleton in 'bad reputation' warning after partying in Paris
Quote:
Pippa Middleton has been warned about getting a ‘bad reputation’ after her hectic partying in Paris. Pippa, 27, rushed back to the Middleton home in Bucklebury, Berkshire, to seek advice from her mother Carole after being seen out with four different men in the French capital last weekend.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Serene Highness

Good old Katie Nicholl always in there pitching her "stories". I'm sure Pippa or Carol let her in on their conversations.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:14 AM
Royal Highness

Warned by whom? And she was "out" with four different men? At one weekend? Makes one wonder when she found the time to fit a party into her, well, whatever that was she had with four different men....
Old 04-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Warned by whom? And she was "out" with four different men? At one weekend? Makes one wonder when she found the time to fit a party into her, well, whatever that was she had with four different men....

Four men, to me, suggests Pippa was not serious about anyone at that party.
It sounds to me like she attended to please an acquaintance and perhaps get some ideas for party-planning, and the whole thing got out of control.

Tags
duke and duchess of cambridge, kate middleton, new york, pippa middleton