The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Majesty

It might seem that Ms Middleton was invited to have fun with. If a girl wants to land an aristocrat, a man from the old-money family or a just rich person, she should be somewhat mindful of her behaviour and very discreet. She should not appear to run around with different blokes. At least that is what I have been told.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I get very uncomfortable when people say things like, 'what's she doing with all those guys on her own'. That comes perilously close to suggesting that Pippa is loose, and I find that completely wrong. In much the same way I found it truly horrendous when people blamed Kate when a photographer took a photo up her skirt - as if she was asking for it. That's disgraceful.

I studied law in the UK, and I know that France has a codified system so it may be different, but to establish someone's guilt mens rea (guilty mind) needs to be established i.e. that she intended to commit a crime. We don't have anywhere near enough evidence to come to that conclusion; but that didn't stop people here condemning her for a disastrous lapse of judgement. For all we know she had no idea this guy had a toy gun before he pulled it out. He apparently is the son of a very high ranking TV executive in France; hardly the kind of person to set anyone's alarm bells ringing.

I'm not willing to condemn Pippa when we really have no idea what happened.

Also, does holding a toy gun inside a privately owned car count as 'a public place'?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Also, does holding a toy gun inside a privately owned car count as 'a public place'?
No, it doesn't. However, as soon as he pulled out the gun pointed it at a person in plain view of witnesses, he was. Without prior knowledge the gun was fake, everyone had the right to assume it was real and consequently posed a real danger. Obviously, in this case we are dealing with a toy gun and a person who had prior knowledge the gun was fake, which is why no action has so far been taken.

As I said in a previous post, according to French laws, the young wasn't breaking any laws just by carrying it in his car, whether the gun was real or fake. As soon as he pulled it out and especially pointed at a person - that's a whole different story.

You are also right about mens rea in most cases but one; if a crime was committed or was intended to be committed. In that case, French laws differ; if someone was hurt with or because of the gun (whether real or not), Pippa - along with other occupants of the car - would be held accountable as well. The degree of that accountability would depend on whether she knew of the gun, whether it was real or fake, and what her intentions were. Assuming she didn't willingly agree to take part in an illegal activity and had no means of stopping it, she would most likely be cautioned and/or fined, unless people were hurt or in danger of being hurt as a direct result of her actions. If the gun is fake, then assuming she had no prior knowledge of it and no intentions to use it in any illegal activity, she will most probably not be prosecuted in any way.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Courtier

What I am confused about is that Pippa's sister married into the BRF, she did not. Why should Pippa alter her behavior? From all accounts she has always been more outgoing than her very discreet sister and why should she have to change her personality because of her sister's choices? She's young, single and very attractive, why shouldn't she have her version of fun? Being accompanied by 3 handsome (Marcel, esp.,) single rich men would be my idea of a good time at that age, as well. Personally, I would not have been terribly amused when one of them played w/ a fake gun (and @ least in the pix I saw of the muzzle it was obviously fake) but it sounds like the photographer was in on the joke. IME some men do very stupid and juvenile things to catch the attention of an attractive lady, particularly when they percieve that they are in competition w/ other men for her attention, but I don't criticize the other men or the lady for someone else's immaturity.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I get very uncomfortable when people say things like, 'what's she doing with all those guys on her own'. That comes perilously close to suggesting that Pippa is loose, and I find that completely wrong.
Agreed. As I understand it, she was getting a ride to the train station. Who wouldn't grab a ride with friends as opposed to hiring a taxi? What we see here is a particularly feminine form of cattiness: if you don't like a girl, imply that she's loose. I do think that she needs to be more careful about which party invitations she accepts from now on. I really don't think she looked at that comfortable in the photos taken at the party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
What I am confused about is that Pippa's sister married into the BRF, she did not. Why should Pippa alter her behavior?
The same reason why any family members of any public person have to watch their behaviour: there are always people watching and often people with cameras. In this case, the "public person" is a member of the BRF. Those who don't approve of William's choice of bride will take every opportunity to drag Catherine and her family down.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
The same reason why any family members of any public person have to watch their behaviour: there are always people watching and often people with cameras. In this case, the "public person" is a member of the BRF. Those who don't approve of William's choice of bride will take every opportunity to drag Catherine and her family down.
Perhaps, but I would not expect her to lock herself away just because of other peoples pettiness, prejudice or jealousy. She is young and good looking and quite entitled to have some fun. I doubt her sister or brother in law are so humourless to expect her to give up her life just because of them either.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Majesty

Pippa Middleton Gun Scandal -- Could Royal Sis Face Arrest? UPDATE (VIDEO)
Old 04-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

she may be a private individual, but her actions, as well as those of other members of the Middleton family, will always have some sort of an effect on the royal family. It's unfair, but true.
She is in between rock and (what's the other unmovable object?) - she is working in the international party scene as organizer and journalist. So how can she stay aside when hr job asks of her to stay right in the middle or at least close enough to the center to be able to learn from her experiences and to make create use of them?

Can we just forget that she was born to the same parents as some future Princess and Wueen and allow her her professional space? Or should we petition the British parliament or whoever is resonsible to put her on a kind of Civil list in exchange of her giving up her chosen career? And no, I'm not joking!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

It might seem that Ms Middleton was invited to have fun with. If a girl wants to land an aristocrat, a man from the old-money family or a just rich person, she should be somewhat mindful of her behaviour and very discreet. She should not appear to run around with different blokes. At least that is what I have been told.
You really make me curious. Did you manage to land such a person that way? Or anyone of your acquaintance? Does it still works this way? And where? I would be really gratefiul, Al Bina, to learn more.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I don't mean to be nasty, but if we forget she was born to the same parents as the future Queen of the United Kingdom, we would have never ever heard Pippa's name. And I strongly doubt she would be working in the international party scene or would have the same kind of access and connections she enjoys now.

Her actions will always have effect on her sister's reputation. It isn't fair, it shouldn't be that way in an ideal word, but it's the truth.
Even the unfortunate (and rather misleading) headlines like "Duchess of Cambridge's sister to be arrested?" - they subconsciously leave a negative feeling.

I have nothing against Kate or Pippa; I like them both. It's just plain statement of facts as I see them.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
OK... its a given that the gun was a fake and the guys and photographer were horsing around. All I know that with what I've read about paps hounding celebrities and the sometimes hostile reactions some celebrities have shown in the past, if I happened to be a bystander at that particular moment and saw Pippa and friends amid a crowd of photographers and one pulled a gun or what appeared to be a gun, I'd be ducking for cover.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Majesty

I don't think that she should 'lock herself away' either. She just needs to be careful; i.e. don't go to parties that feature dwarves, strippers, and hints of sado-masochism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Perhaps, but I would not expect her to lock herself away just because of other peoples pettiness, prejudice or jealousy. She is young and good looking and quite entitled to have some fun.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I don't think that she should 'lock herself away' either. She just needs to be careful; i.e. don't go to parties that feature dwarves, strippers, and hints of sado-masochism.
Isn't that streamline when you do a "18th century"- bash? I mean the (British) Georgians and (French) Regence-people were much more debauched/open-minded than most people are nowadays and - again- where's the beef?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Pippa is not going to be questioned by Paris Police.

Quote:
"We don't know the circumstances in which these photographs were taken," a source said.

"But we cannot launch an inquiry based simply on photographs that have appeared online and in the press. There would need to be a witness but at the moment there is nothing.

"To launch an investigation, it would be necessary for there to have been a complaint or something would need to have presented itself to police.

"A photograph cannot launch an investigation. In this case, there are just the photographs. No one was injured and nothing more happened. There is nothing to this affair, at the moment, as far as police are concerned."
Pippa Middleton Not To Be Questioned By Paris Police About Gun Pictures Unless Formal Complaint Made
Old 04-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Royal Highness

Much Ado about Nothing
Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, she lucked out on that one. Pippa is not a royal, therefore her antics have nothing to to with the BRF or her sister in the capacity of membership in the BRF.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Administrator

A reminder that The Royal Forums is the place where members of various races, religions, ethnicity as well as various AGES converse about royalty and certain aspects of royal life (i.e. Catherine's sister).

So let's watch the foul language please.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
OK... its a given that the gun was a fake and the guys and photographer were horsing around. All I know that with what I've read about paps hounding celebrities and the sometimes hostile reactions some celebrities have shown in the past, if I happened to be a bystander at that particular moment and saw Pippa and friends amid a crowd of photographers and one pulled a gun or what appeared to be a gun, I'd be ducking for cover.
Agreed; that would most likely be my reaction as well. Since as a bystander I wasn't in on the joke that this was a fake gun, my initial assumption would be that someone was pulling out a weapon and threatening another person, and most likely start firing indiscriminately in the crowd. You bet I'd be ducking for cover!

And, Kataryn, the expression you're referring to is "caught between a rock and a hard place."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I don't really understand people who say that this is no big deal. Fact remains that pointing a gun at people, in public is such a poor joke.
Love it; gave me the best laugh of the day!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 PM

Dwarves, chastity belts and why Pippa's missing the one man who could rein her in | Mail Online

Explains more about Pippa and the Frenchmen - as well as George ( just a good friend) and what she needs is someone like Alex, who would say no to her.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Serene Highness

And the DM is soooo in the know!

Tags
duke and duchess of cambridge, kate middleton, new york, pippa middleton