The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-17-2012, 02:32 AM
Royal Highness

I'm really not sure what to make of this discussion.

What has happened? A perfectly private citizen from the UK met up with French acquaintances and was followed around Paris by paparazzi reminiscencing of Diana's last day. At one point they start interacting with the paparazzi and the driver plays around with a toy weapon. They all have fun.

Now this is totally blown out of proportion. Suddenly Ms. Middleton is a representative of the BRF. Now they are playing dangerous games reminiscensing of amok shootings... Now the British police gets involved... Now Pippa is responsible for all that and faces prison - if not in France, then surely in Britain. Hello?

If you want a comparison, here it is:
If the paps had respected her privacy (and Diana's in 1997) nothing would have happened. Obviously the constant persistence of Parisian paps leads the people bothered by them to "dangerous games" like playing around with toy weapons or trying to outspeed the paps. As always the media has a field day, makes tons of money and puts the blame on the victims of their exploitation. And the people are again falling for it all, putting the blame indirectly on the RF who does not make sure Pippa behaves. It is the same old plot. And a lot of you are buying into it again.

Sad, that. What if one pap had given the young gentleman the toy weapon and told them: come on, let's play James Bond and his girl for us? And spontaneously they did? I don't know who cooked up that idea but I know who profited from it and who payed for it. Paps will do anything to get pics worth their while. And they don't care at all for their victims. This is not a new truth but one obviously or conveniently forgotten here, when the false reporting of the media is blamed on poor Ms. Middleton.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent

What I found interesting was that one article mentioned that Pippa has been trained to deal with the press: she is simply to smile and say nothing!

Many people perceive this behavior as Pippa loving the limelight; instead it's simply coaching on the best way to deal with media harassment.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Royal Highness

I don't really understand people who say that this is no big deal.
Fact remains that pointing a gun at people, in public is such a poor joke. So the shootings in Paris are already forgotten? They all looked like rich little kids and it annoys me that they will only get off with a pat on the shoulders.

So... For good measure.

And boohoo, poor Ms. Middleton has such a rough life, dealing with paps and all. People much more famous then her deal with it every day and manage to not be harrased.
For entertainment purposes: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com...age=1#comments
Old 04-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

If she wasn't the one with the gun then I don't see why it's such a big deal. People do stupid things all the time. I don't think it's fair to crucify her for someone elses actions.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

And to bring the shootings in Paris/Toulouse into it is just so crass.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
If she wasn't the one with the gun then I don't see why it's such a big deal. People do stupid things all the time. I don't think it's fair to crucify her for someone elses actions.
In France, it is illegal to be seen with a gun, real or not. Not only the person actually holding the gun, but also those with him can be prosecuted and sentences to up to seven years (if the gun is real) and three years (if it isn't).
Old 04-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Is it illegal to be seen with any kind of gun? Like a water pistol?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Any kind of gun (and weapon in general) that resembles and/or can be mistaken for a real one.
So, for example, if a water pistol is painted black and has the appearance of a real one, it is indeed illegal.

In this particular case, the driver actually pointed at a person a gun that resembled a real one from a distance (and even in close ups). Of course, we now know that the paparazzi in question was aware it was a fake, which may help all involved to avoid any (serious) consequences. If he hadn't been aware, or if the gun were real, they would all be definitely be charged, including Pippa.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
In France, it is illegal to be seen with a gun, real or not. Not only the person actually holding the gun, but also those with him can be prosecuted and sentences to up to seven years (if the gun is real) and three years (if it isn't).
Well then the law's a a joke. Looks like I won't ever be taking my nephew to Disneyland Paris as he takes an obviously fake looking gun with him everywhere. He loves playing cowboys and Indians.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Well then the law's a joke. Looks like I won't ever be taking my nephew to Disneyland Paris as he takes an obviously fake looking gun with him everywhere. He loves playing cowboys and Indians.
I explained better in my next post; only guns (and other weapons) that look real are illegal.
An obviously fake-looking gun would not present problems.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=Empress Merel;1400785]I don't really understand people who say that this is no big deal... /QUOTE] I have to say I agree with this standpoint.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

That is highly amusing.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
That is highly amusing.
Me too. The way people are carrying on one would think she had robbed a bank. The French guys who were with her may have done a stupid thing but it seems really over the top to attack Pippa because of their actions.
I wonder if the next time I get a speeding ticket if I can just put the blame on my passenger or at least get them to pay the fine. IMO people need to gain a little perspective on things.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
And to bring the shootings in Paris/Toulouse into it is just so crass.
It's not. France heightened their security alert due to recent terrorist attacks, it really isn't that crass, is it?

If these people were of other skin color, people wouldn't think it was 'no big deal.' But that's a whole other discussion.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
It's not. France heightened their security alert due to recent terrorist attacks, it really isn't that crass, is it?

If these people were of other skin color, people wouldn't think it was 'no big deal.' But that's a whole other discussion.
Well that's handy bring skin colour into the discussion and we've got Pippa into a race row.

These "friends" were carrying a toy gun, which is apparently illegal in France and they will be punished. This has no bearing on Pippa whatsoever, it's not like she'd of asked them before getting in the car "oh do you have any kiddies guns your planning on pointing at those paps following me every where?".
Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If I was to take a trip to Paris last week, I would not have known about this law against displaying of a weapon fake or not. I'd also bet half a box of donuts that Pippa wasn't aware of this either. Now on the other hand, the two French gentlemen (for want of a better word) who are French and reside in France should have been aware of such a law and unless they've been hiding out under a rock, were well aware of the recent security issues.

Money never can buy brains.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I explained better in my next post; only guns (and other weapons) that look real are illegal.
An obviously fake-looking gun would not present problems.
But the world is full of stupid people, what's obviously fake to me may not be to someone else. Maybe this chap who had the gun in Paris thought it was obviously fake too. If the journalist was laughing with them about it, one would assume it was obviously fake. I just find it hard to believe that the French state might prosecute Pippa when, for all we know, she had no idea this guy had a toy gun on him until he brought it out.

This has all become a complete joke. I saw a headline on a website today that said - 'Pippa Middleton Caught Playing with Guns in Paris'. I mean, please.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
But the world is full of stupid people, what's obviously fake to me may not be to someone else. Maybe this chap who had the gun in Paris thought it was obviously fake too. If the journalist was laughing with them about it, one would assume it was obviously fake. I just find it hard to believe that the French state might prosecute Pippa when, for all we know, she had no idea this guy had a toy gun on him until he brought it out.
Whether Pippa would be prosecuted or not would depend on several points:
- Prior knowledge of the gun
- Intent to be part of illegal, dangerous or potentially dangerous activity
- Intent to cause harm to or endanger third parties
- Deliberately making third parties believe the gun was real and posed danger

- Assuming the gun was fake, if Pippa had no prior knowledge of it and had no intention to take part in an illegal activity of any sort, she would highly unlikely be prosecuted or even cautioned. I should note, however, that if the paparazzi in question were not aware the gun was fake and believed he was in real danger when it was pointed at him, he could file a complaint and it would be upon French authorities to decide who and how was prosecuted. Similarly, if any incident happened because of the gun, all of them would be held responsible.
- If the gun were real, Pippa would be prosecuted whether she knew of its existence or not. If it is proven she didn't, and that she had no intentions to participate in any illegal activity, most likely she would be just fined or cautioned. Basically, in this case she would be responsible for the actions of those whose company she willingly and knowingly shared. If she did know of the guns existence, the actual punishment would depend on prosecutors and any deals they would make with Pippa's lawyers. Assuming no illegal activity was intended on Pippa's part, actual jail sentence would be highly unlikely. In France, the maximum penalty for illicit possession of firearms is seven years prison and a fine. In this particular case, if the gun were real, apart from possession they (the holder of the gun and possibly, the others in the car as well) would be charged with threatening a person's life.
The eventual sentence would also depend on the type of gun; if it were a military one (for example, according to French classifications, a 9mm), the punishment would be much more severe than if it were a civil one (for example, a .357 Magnum).

One more thing concerning gun laws: in France, carrying a firearm (or what can be mistaken for a real firearm) in plain view in a public place is prohibited. However, carrying a concealed firearm in a public place is allowed, subject to a valid permit. So, until the young man actually pulled the gun, he wasn't breaking any laws just by carrying it, whether the gun was real or fake (assuming he had permit for the gun, of course).

My brother and cousins are lawyers with pretty high-ranking law firms in France; having lived there for most of my pre-teen and teen years, I know the country's laws pretty well. My wording may not be very accurate because I'm doing a sort of mental French-English translation, but that's basically how the law works. Of course, there are a lot of exceptions; good lawyers (and all those in the car are very much capable to hire the best) would be able to find a lot of loopholes I'm not aware of - unlike my siblings, I'm not a lawyer.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Royal Highness

You are right, IMHO, Artemisia, but I doubt this is about any kind of legal case. And surely nothing will come out of it, prosecutionwise.

But it is fuel to all those Middleton-bashers who don't believe Pippa has a right to some sort of public life. And I bet she thinks so, too (not about her right to, but about her wish to have one, which should be close to nil - only close because as people tend to forget partying is her business).

And where better to learn the "debauched", "sadesque" and colourful sides of partying than in Paris?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I agree with you. With more facts available now, the incident does appear to have been blown way out of its proportions.
However, I just have to say that Pippa must be a bit more careful about her company in future; she may be a private individual, but her actions, as well as those of other members of the Middleton family, will always have some sort of an effect on the royal family. It's unfair, but true.

Tags
duke and duchess of cambridge, kate middleton, new york, pippa middleton