The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Ouch, modern Boleyns! Why don't they just compare them to the Woodvilles as well, the infamous family of Edward IV's queen, Elizabeth.
Because the Woodvilles were the children of Jacquetta of Luxembourg, who was the widow of Royal Prince John, Duke of Bedford and closely related to the Royal Houses of France and Bohemia. Jacquetta herself was a descendant of Henry III. of England. Her sister Catherine was duchess of Britanny, her sister Isabelle Countess of Guise and Maine and mother-in-law of the duke of Nemour. Jacquetta's brother Louis was constable of France and married to a princess of Savoy whose sister was queen consort of France. Their granddaughter Marie de Luxembourg was as duchess of Guise the grandmother of Mary Queen of Scots.

Here's an interesting article on her: JACQUETTA OF LUXEMBOURG, DUCHESS OF BEDFORD (C. 1416

I doubt you can compare the Middletons with the Woodvilles as these were interrelated to the highest families of France, Italy, England and the German empire (which was reigned at that time by the Luxembourg) and who married into the British aristocracy.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Courtier

It should be fairly easy for James to marry the daughter of a Duke or Earl .. there are enought noble daughters arround but to catch an heiress would be quite another matter (like his sisters did or in Pippas case, beeing maybe at the brink of it)

If Carol can arrange for one daughter to marry the future king, and Pippa a future duke, it should be as easy to find some rich noble wife for James. (this is ironic)

What I want to say is simple: if modern life only would work that way ...we all would live a life of plenty and happiness

To make it clear: NO, I don't believe it is 'Carols' doing - she couldn't do a thing about it - she can wish for - but we all know how little or twisted our wishes - if ever - do come true.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Because the Woodvilles were the children of Jacquetta of Luxembourg, who was the widow of Royal Prince John, Duke of Bedford and closely related to the Royal Houses of France and Bohemia. Jacquetta herself was a descendant of Henry III. of England. Her sister Catherine was duchess of Britanny, her sister Isabelle Countess of Guise and Maine and mother-in-law of the duke of Nemour. Jacquetta's brother Louis was constable of France and married to a princess of Savoy whose sister was queen consort of France. Their granddaughter Marie de Luxembourg was as duchess of Guise the grandmother of Mary Queen of Scots.

Here's an interesting article on her: JACQUETTA OF LUXEMBOURG, DUCHESS OF BEDFORD (C. 1416

I doubt you can compare the Middletons with the Woodvilles as these were interrelated to the highest families of France, Italy, England and the German empire (which was reigned at that time by the Luxembourg) and who married into the British aristocracy.
Thank you for the link on Jacquetta, Duchess of Bedford, but actually I knew about her distinguished lineage as well as her first marriage into the Lancastrian royal house. My comparison was not made on that basis, though, but on the Woodville siblings who intermarried into many of the noble families of England and became quite powerful after Elizabeth Woodville's marriage to Edward IV. Richard Woodville also became Earl Rivers after Edward's marriage to his daughter, so significant honors were poured upon the family as a result of such a prestigious connection - much like the Boleyns. That actually was the basis of my comparison.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Not to mention, Anne Boleyn didn't come from an undistinguished family either; apart from coming from the powerful Norfolk family, she counted several English and Spanish (Castilian) Monarchs among her ancestors.

Pippa Middleton wears period drama-inspired fancy dress to celebrate Viscount Arthur de Soultrait's birthday
Quote:
Pippa Middelton got dressed up for a lavish birthday celebration in Paris last night. The sister of the Duchess Of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, headed to the party in the French capital wearing fancy dress in keeping with the theme of the do, which appeared to be based on fashions from centuries ago. Pippa, 28, was one of many guests at the birthday of young fashion label owner Arthur de Soultrait.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Now, I've never seen the word "bussle" spelled like that in the headline; I've always known it as a "bustle." Typo, perhaps? Anyway, Pippa looks cute; I like the top of her outfit but not the leather jacket; I guess she chose to wear leggings to complete the costume instead of the skirt which would have been more fitting. Thanks for the article, Artemisia.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Spell-check and DM have never been on best terms.
I don't particularly like Pippa's outfit; it looks really cheap and the leggings are a bit out of place given the party's theme.
Now, the lady in this picture wouldn't look out of place in a period drama; absolutely gorgeous ensemble, from hair to the elaborate gown!
Old 04-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

That's the ex-proofreader in me; I'm always catching the typos! And that is a lovely costume and I especially like how the lady did her hair with that ornament in it. The gent with the sunglasses and sneakers is also giving a different spin on the period costume!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Royal Highness

I once had a top like that and it was worn with leggings and then a skirt was put over it to make the ensemble complete. We don't know when the pics were taken but it is possible that Pippa rrived with the skirt and put it off after the party to head out to a more modern venue.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

That's a possibility; it would have been nice to see a picture with her in full costume if that were the case. But a picture of her in skintight leggings would get more publicity, I'm sure!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
That's a possibility; it would have been nice to see a picture with her in full costume if that were the case. But a picture of her in skintight leggings would get more publicity, I'm sure!
I agree. She is young and is the sister of the future Queen, of course she wants to gain some profit from all the media fuss around her.It's not easy, but maybe she will be observed in this way by a suitable candidate, a millionaire or noble, or even a noble rich desirable man,lol...
Old 04-15-2012, 04:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Pippa Middleton and the three Parisians putting a spring in her step... well, they are three of France's most eligible bachelors | Mail Online
Old 04-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Here's a few more pics to add to the collection. Yours are better though.

Pippa Middleton Paris Trip Involves Funny Costumes & Covertibles (PHOTOS)
Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Royal Highness

Both Middleton girls are incapable of doing their make-up.
Never fully line your lower eyelid. Ever.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Ah, April in Paris....I have to say that the two French brothers are very toothsome! She's certainly keeping everyone guessing with all these eligible men she's stepping out with.

BTW, it's nice that the DM keeps tabs on the forums; I see they corrected the spelling of "bustle" in their headline after I pointed out the typo!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Commoner

Pippa's happy weekend in Paris has turned out to have potentially very serious consequences. The Sun's headline:
Shock as Pippa Middleton pal
points pistol in crazy car stunt

The article has pictures of the driver of the car pointing a gun at the camerman. I'm sure it is extremely frustrating to be stalked and hounded by the press. And it looks like the driver was just joking and fooling around. But these friends have created a situation that seems very serious. It sounds as if she has already been questioned by the British police. Shock as smirking Pippa Middleton pal points gun in crazy car stunt | The Sun |News

Oh dear oh dear. I hope nothing comes of this situation, other than the press stop harassing people.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Courtier

Uh, this isn't about the press pestering them; aiming a gun at ANYONE is STUPID and IRRESPONSIBLE in the extreme and even waving a gun around in public can get you arrested in the US. How stupid he is and how stupid that Pippa actually didn't look the slightest bit ashamed. In France just weeks ago there was a vicious shooting and now these dolts play at being gangsters. She will hopefully be cited for something. Stupid stupid woman.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Commoner

Her friends have crossed the line of sensibility, but to call Pippa stupid is uncalled for.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by awcblue View Post
Her friends have crossed the line of sensibility, but to call Pippa stupid is uncalled for.
It's just one pic and we have no idea how close the photographer was to the car. With a good tele, he could have been hundreds of meters away - way beyond any shooting distance. France as all other European countries has its own law about possession and usage of guns. Here in Germany, it is fully legal to carry a gun if you have the proper permission and to show the gun to someone in a car. That is not yet "usage" of the gun. The moment you use it (for threatening eg, not yet shooting it) you subject to prosecution, with quite some cases were the usage was legal but some which wasn't.

Another question is: what does French law says about the interior of cars, especially in that case of convertibles. Is it "private space" or "public space"? Of course you are allowed to point anywhere with a legally possessed gun in your home. And if somebody looks into your window, he might feel threatened but that is nothing of your doing. Is it the same thing in a car?

In any case it is not a question for British police but for the French, and believe me, these guys are quick when it comes to illegal possessions of whatever. I'm sure they will find out what really happened and then a prosecutor will decide to do something about it or not. And there will be a judgment.

Till that moment, all people involved are to be considered innocent.

As for the amok shootings: people of means in today's time have no difficulty to obtain legal permission to own weapons for self-defense. Then there are all those people who shoot as a sport. So there are myriads of legal and illegal weapons around. But tha doesn't lead necessarily to more amok shootings because if you want to do that there's always a way to acquire weapons. Sad, but that's how it is.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Aristocracy

great over 100 years of Entente cordiale undone by pippa bravo
Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Pippa Middleton at centre of gun probe after friend is seen brandishing a pistol as he drives her in his Audi convertible
Quote:
Disturbing images of Pippa Middleton sitting next to a friend as he brandishes a handgun while driving a car are being investigated by detectives in Paris today. The pictures were captured as Prince William’s 27-year-old sister-in-law travelled in an Audi convertible in the centre of the French capital. The driver of the car can clearly be seen pointing what looks like a semi-automatic pistol at a photographer.
It may sound unfair, but if it were a real gun and Pippa is broadly smiling like that, it's a serious misjudgement on her part, to say at least.
Because of her high profile (acquired because of her sister's marriage and the part she played in the wedding ceremony), her actions will be reflected on the royal family in general, and especially Kate.

Tags
duke and duchess of cambridge, kate middleton, new york, pippa middleton