The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Discussions about Carole Middleton and the Middleton children upbringing have been moved. You can now find the posts in the Duchess of Cambridge: Family Wealth and Background thread. All further off-topic comments will be deleted.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Recently I learned about the engagement of Philippa to James. What sensational news!!!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I have never liked the thought of children at weddings.
I know it's very popular in the UK, but I much prefer adult attendants.

I've been to plenty of weddings where the children get over-excited and act out. (I have heard some real horror stories!)

I just don't think children belong at weddings. JMO.

And I think they belong and should be there. Family Weddings should be just that. Family Weddings, w/*all* the Family present, including little ones. I've been to only one Wedding where a little one was upset to the point of throwing a fit & no one could blame her. Close to 100 yr old Country Church w/no air conditioning &/or fans & on the August Long Weekend to boot. I was my Cousin's Bridesmaid & I felt I was melting after 10 mins, so couldn't imagine how the lil one felt. Anyway...

Her Mom waited for the Bridal Processional to take place & simply took her outside. No big deal. Since the windows were all open to try to catch a breeze, we could still hear her, but not as loud. Which ended up turning into one of the highlights of the Wedding, as the first piece of Scripture read after the Welcoming of Everyone to the Ceremony was...

"And the Lord said : Make a Joyful Noise and..."

For the next few mins, so I've been told, all anyone could watch was the back of me & my heaving/shaking shoulders as I battled to keep from bursting out loud laughing in the middle of my Cousin's Wedding Ceremony. Which I did manage to pull off not doing. Got myself composed. Then made the mistake of looking at her brother across the Alter, who is a natural Platinum Blonde & whose face was Neon Pink at that precise moment from his own Battle of the Giggles. Which set off another skirmish of my own to keep from happening.

I guess what I'm trying to say is little ones may steal the show, but 9 times out of 10 at the Weddings I've been to over the years, whatever happened is usually one of the favourite Memories of the Day. I'm not saying there aren't little ones who do act like Little Monster Brats, because there are, but I tend to find you don't have to look too far to figure out why those kids act that way.

I wouldn't trade the Memories of kids being scene stealers at Weddings for anything. It makes the day richer and also sweeter sometimes. Just as William's antics in 86 make me smile whenever I think of it, one of the sweetest of his own Wedding was watching Pippa leading in the littlest Bridesmaids & seeing Camilla's Granddaughter holding her Floral Headpiece to make sure it didn't fall off. Then there were all the various moments of his Godson showing his very confident personality...LOL!!

I can't wait to see George and the other attendants who will end up being in Pippa's Bridal Party. Not to mention hearing what, if any, hijinks end up happening. It's all part of a Family Wedding after all. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-03-2016, 01:11 AM
Royal Highness

If George or Charlotte are in the wedding all we will see is them going into the church if that. It isn't a royal wedding it is a private wedding a few photos later is all we will see unless Pippa sells them out which I don't think will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-03-2016, 01:41 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I have never liked the thought of children at weddings.
I know it's very popular in the UK, but I much prefer adult attendants.

I've been to plenty of weddings where the children get over-excited and act out. (I have heard some real horror stories!)

I just don't think children belong at weddings. JMO.
I agree. I guess mainly because most of the recent weddings I attended were at 5pm and the reception and cocktail hour at hotel began at 6:30. Children just get too bored plus wild or nasty by the time the dancing begins after meal has been served. Besides most of the young mothers claim they really enjoy the dress up time alone with husband as a treat. I guess if a morning wedding it might be different but I still don't appreciate toddlers running around a reception while the bride and groom plus parents are trying to have their dances and photos. JMO
Old 08-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Serene Highness

Agree. they may look cute but they are usually a pest... I hoep Pippa's wedding will be private and NO press involvement and I hope for her own sake she keeps kids away.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the time of the ceremony probably does make a difference. Most of the weddings I have been to have been at 5pm, and I can't remember small children being there.

It's up to Pippa though. If she doesn't mind small children running around making pests of themselves, they'll be there.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:58 PM
Aristocracy

What happened to William and Kate's flower/page girls and boys?

There was at least one very disgruntled looking one on the balcony!

I imagine parents were to hand and looked after them ... the way parents tend to do.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Serene Highness

DeeAnna I don't know because I got as bored with the W/K wedding as the kids probably did.. But I understand that they were kept away from the cameras to a degree...I really dont know why royals do this.. don't they have any adult friends or siblings. If they are goig ot have them just let them be In the procession in or out, and look cute for 5 mins and then keep them away from things. Its not fair on them IMO, they get bored and act up and its not fair on people who have to listen to tehm.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it's a fairly recent tradition for the royals to have mostly children as attendants at their weddings. By fairly recent I mean since Princess Margaret's in 1960. Kate and William's was a little unusual in that, apart from Pippa all of the attendants were from William's side of the family.

It's also the custom in Australia to have child flower girls as well as adult bridesmaids. We've tended to follow the British in this, as apparently have Canadians. There are lots of outdoor weddings here, as we have the climate for it.
I've been to weddings where children have been both guests and flower girls and boys and where they've been absent. (Sometimes, nowadays, attendants are the children of the bride and groom!)

I have to say though that here they do add to the joy of the day, when it is daytime. I've only ever been to one wedding reception after 6pm where under tens have been present. The little girl concerned was very young and went to sleep in a back room after a while but didn't cry beforehand. Most of the weddings have included relatives' children and why shouldn't they be part of the celebrations? They are part of the family.

As far as Royal weddings are concerned I wouldn't be surprised if these children have nannies who whisk them away before the wedding breakfast, when they start to become tired and whiney. If George is present as a pageboy at Pippa's I'd say that's what will happen with him.

The little flower girl at Kate and William's wedding who looked disgruntled was Grace van Cutsem. I believe she was only three or four at the time and I think the sound of the crowd below when she was on the balcony with the wedding party hurt her ears.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Majesty

fun piece of news today: victoria beckham wants to design pippa's wedding gown and 'will not stop until she says yes'.

apparently victoria is trying really hard to get pippa to choose her as designer of her wedding gown. victoria reportedly even sent pippa flowers to congratulate her on her engagement and promised to make her image of a future collection of hers if she chooses victoria as her designer.

personally, i think pippa knows best: her wedding is not a hollywood wedding, but the wedding of the sister of the future queen of great britain, so even if victoria did dress some A celebs for their wedding, i doubt that will have much importance to pippa. i think pippa will choose based on what she wants, regardless of how much victoria pursues her.

Victoria Beckham desea diseñar el vestido de novia de Pippa Middleton
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-06-2016, 10:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I doubt very much that Victoria Beckham is behaving in that way towards Pippa, (whom she probably barely knows apart from seeing her at the Royal wedding and various functions), and I can think of two or three other designers Pippa might very well choose before VB.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Flower girls are not as common any more. When I was a kid, a girl under 8 usually was chosen 6-8 prime age. But the main party would be adults or older teens (17-18). Now a days, unless the bride has kids or very close nieces/nephews, not as common. Bridal party usually of age with bride. I know a lot of weddings where kids are at ceremony but not reception. Made a a killing as a wedding 'sitter', hired by couple to babysit in the hotel for kids out of town guests (sister and cousins always seem to have weddings to attend and offer me).

My friend didn't have her 2 year old last year but thought her 4 year old nieces and husband's nephews old enough. The baby coin holder (Filipino tradition) was best behaved. One girl had to be carried as she lay down in aisle. The other came on stage and spent the hour and 1/2 (Filipino and west mix took long) rolling around, flashing, dancing. She nearly knocked me in my heels over a few times.

Up to couple if they want kids in or even at ceremony or at reception. If mom wants a fancy date night, kids don't have to come.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I think it's a fairly recent tradition for the royals to have mostly children as attendants at their weddings. By fairly recent I mean since Princess Margaret's in 1960. Kate and William's was a little unusual in that, apart from Pippa all of the attendants were from William's side of the family.

It's also the custom in Australia to have child flower girls as well as adult bridesmaids. We've tended to follow the British in this, as apparently have Canadians. There are lots of outdoor weddings here, as we have the climate for it.
I've been to weddings where children have been both guests and flower girls and boys and where they've been absent. (Sometimes, nowadays, attendants are the children of the bride and groom!)

I have to say though that here they do add to the joy of the day, when it is daytime. I've only ever been to one wedding reception after 6pm where under tens have been present. The little girl concerned was very young and went to sleep in a back room after a while but didn't cry beforehand. Most of the weddings have included relatives' children and why shouldn't they be part of the celebrations? They are part of the family.

As far as Royal weddings are concerned I wouldn't be surprised if these children have nannies who whisk them away before the wedding breakfast, when they start to become tired and whiney. If George is present as a pageboy at Pippa's I'd say that's what will happen with him.

The little flower girl at Kate and William's wedding who looked disgruntled was Grace van Cutsem. I believe she was only three or four at the time and I think the sound of the crowd below when she was on the balcony with the wedding party hurt her ears.
From viewing the wedding videos from 1999 onward it does appear that the very youngest attendants are often moved to an adjacent room if they appear to be overwhelmed/upset during the ceremony. Though occasionally we get to see what happens when they're not removed ie Juan Felipe Froilan kicking a bridesmaid at Tio Felipe's wedding to Letizia .

If Pippa and her fiance choose to have young attendants then it's their choice to make.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:05 AM
Heir Apparent

I am highly doubtfully that Pippa will be having a balcony appearance after her wedding. George can always just sit on his parents lap during the ceremony. The service itself isn't going to be on tv or photographed by the press. At the most there will church entrance/exit on the day and posed photos in Hello afterwards. It's Pippa's day and if she wants her only nephew to be part of it, he will be.

Where is this anti little kid outrage for the Swedish royals who bring the little kids to every wedding, christening etc?

Old 08-07-2016, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

This thread isn't about whether children should be at weddings, so let's get back on topic please.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:05 AM
Serene Highness

Well it is up to her how she arranges her wedding, as a private person. I just hope that that's how it is treated by the press. A few pics, and that's it.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Well it is up to her how she arranges her wedding, as a private person. I just hope that that's how it is treated by the press. A few pics, and that's it.

I really hope it's very private some people are getting a little carried away.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:38 AM
Aristocracy

I don't know who Pippa is close to in terms of friends who could be bridesmaids or maids of honour.

What about James, traditionally sisters of the groom are often members of the bridal party (one to google!)
Old 08-07-2016, 08:22 AM
Heir Apparent

As far as a designer is concerned, I'd definitely go for Sarah Burton if I were Pippa!

Her bridesmaid dress became iconic; imagine what Burton could do with a wedding dress!

Tags
duke and duchess of cambridge, kate middleton, new york, pippa middleton