The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-10-2017, 01:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The only people with the right to complain are her neighbors. And if the DM is to be believed, they are complaining. Nothing new there, neighbors never like noise or disruption. And if you paid millions for a house and have an orangery in your back yard whose sun will be blocked by the new extension, you may complain as well.

As for the public, unless you live next door and your life is disrupted, none of your business.

You’re right. Maybe! But, it’s also important to note, that the work is being done on someone (Pippa and James) else’s hectare and not your own. They can mumble all they want, but at the end of the day, they may as well get used to it. It’s not on their property, and if it was the tables would be turned. Just saying!

Old 11-10-2017, 01:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCtrojan View Post
You’re right. Maybe! But, it’s also important to note, that the work is being done on someone (Pippa and James) else’s hectare and not your own. They can mumble all they want, but at the end of the day, they may as well get used to it. It’s not on their property, and if it was the tables would be turned. Just saying!
Actually if it disrupts your property you can complain. You do realize, at least in most cities, you cant simply do whatever you want on your own property? If it causes issues to other residences, or even if it is considered to be enough of an eye sore that it will bring down value. Why do you think you have to apply to planning commissions for major building projects in most cities????

It's not a matter of 'it's my land I can do what I want and no one matters but me.' Unless you are out in the middle of no where and no neighbors to bother. Obviously the planning commission didn't feel that this bathroom extension would cause any real disturbance to neighbors, or value.

The simple point being the DM isn't complaining about Pippa and how she spends her money. They are simply airing neighbors complaints.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Actually if it disrupts your property you can complain. You do realize, at least in most cities, you cant simply do whatever you want on your own property? If it causes issues to other residences, or even if it is considered to be enough of an eye sore that it will bring down value. Why do you think you have to apply to planning commissions for major building projects in most cities????

It's not a matter of 'it's my land I can do what I want and no one matters but me.' Unless you are out in the middle of no where and no neighbors to bother. Obviously the planning commission didn't feel that this bathroom extension would cause any real disturbance to neighbors, or value.

The simple point being the DM isn't complaining about Pippa and how she spends her money. They are simply airing neighbors complaints.
We have a strict planning regime in this country. Any material alterations would have been through a Planning process and be approved by the council. The council would have sought the views of the neighbours before concluding on whether to approve the application or not.

By the sounds of it, you just have a disgruntled neighbour who has had her chance to complain to the council and has been overruled. Tough, Miss Neighbour, get on with the rest of your life!
Old 11-10-2017, 09:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
We have a strict planning regime in this country. Any material alterations would have been through a Planning process and be approved by the council. The council would have sought the views of the neighbours before concluding on whether to approve the application or not.

By tge sounds of it, you just have a disgruntled neighbour who has had her chance to complain to the council and has been overruled. Tough, Miss Neighbour, get on with the rest of your life!
That's what it sounds like to me . . . one or two neighbors who are unhappy that the Planning Commission didn't listen to them and overruled their complaint. I don't really see why the Daily Fail feels the need to make this into a story. The Matthews' are doing nothing wrong here.

In the U.S., you can do whatever you want on your property, no matter where it is located, as long as what you are doing doesn't disrupt the power or sewer lines and that the inspectors say the wiring and plumbing are up to code. The only exceptions would be if you live in one of those "gated communities" (or a condo or something like that) where you have to answer to a Board made up of other residents.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mae View Post
That's what it sounds like to me . . . one or two neighbors who are unhappy that the Planning Commission didn't listen to them and overruled their complaint. I don't really see why the Daily Fail feels the need to make this into a story. The Matthews' are doing nothing wrong here.

In the U.S., you can do whatever you want on your property, no matter where it is located, as long as what you are doing doesn't disrupt the power or sewer lines and that the inspectors say the wiring and plumbing are up to code. The only exceptions would be if you live in one of those "gated communities" (or a condo or something like that) where you have to answer to a Board made up of other residents.
Actually, that isn't entirely true. If you have a building that is listed on the national historic register or are in an historic district there are limitations and regulations you must follow here in the US. And sometimes what you can or cannot do on the exterior impacts what you can do with the interior because windows and door placements as well as roof pitch and building height are determined by the historical accuracy.

And there are some cities that have building height regulations - Washington, DC most famous of those. I'm not sure you have ever noticed but D.C. proper doesn't have high rises so that the monuments and main government buildings are the main focal points of the city. That is very much by design and law.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Let's get back on-topic, please.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Serene Highness

In all areas of the USA I have owned homes, building permits were required for any outside and inside improvements. For something small like a bathroom addition, all neighbors with a radius of 1000 feet must sign off on this small addition if addition is slightly over set-back requirements. If a neighbor later realizes they are getting more shade than they thought, tough. Get over it. You cannot rescind your approval once started. I am sure that a City the size and population of London has very strict laws to follow. You have to be kidding that Pippa and James haven't followed the law to the letter knowing how many jealous idiots are out there ready to scream about them.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
In all areas of the USA I have owned homes, building permits were required for any outside and inside improvements. For something small like a bathroom addition, all neighbors with a radius of 1000 feet must sign off on this small addition if addition is slightly over set-back requirements. If a neighbor later realizes they are getting more shade than they thought, tough. Get over it. You cannot rescind your approval once started. I am sure that a City the size and population of London has very strict laws to follow. You have to be kidding that Pippa and James haven't followed the law to the letter knowing how many jealous idiots are out there ready to scream about them.
I am in Los Angeles and this has been my experience as well - i have have done major remodeling and small jobs (i.e. bathrooms). they all require permits and sign off. I have also had to to deal with the coastal commission in southern california for energy efficiency. Neighbors are notified and may contest, but once it is signed off - it is legal.

They followed the rules, and had a disgrunteld neighbor - life happens - move on.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:53 PM
Majesty

Pippa at the exclusive South Kensington Club in Chelsea with a friend

Pippa Middleton goes makeup-free in Chelsea | Daily Mail Online