The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Artist praised for her 'warm' portrait of Duchess of Cambridge after official one was slammed as 'rotten'... and now she plans to show Kate her work
Quote:
She is one of the world's most beautiful and recognisable women, so painting an accurate portrait of the Duchess of Cambridge will never be easy. But one woman has been praised for her 'warm' portrait of Kate - weeks after the official one was slammed by critics. Artist Norren Denzil, 47, was inspired to paint her own picture of the former Kate Middleton after the official portrait by Paul Emsley was branded 'rotten' and 'unflattering'.
I wasn't very fond of Emsley portrait but, in my opinion, this "warm" portrait is way worse.
- The Portrait

Old 03-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Oh good! It's not just me, I didn't like this portrait either.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Majesty

All I see is art. Many members of the royal family have had very interesting portraits painted of them.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Royal Highness

That portrait is awful, both were and are really awful. How come they're so called professinal artists if they can't even paint a beautiful portrait of Catherine?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Nobility

I actually like the portrait. I never understood what the big deal was. Even if you don't like it why spew hatred for the artist for like a month or two free wards like all the newspapers did. I felt bad for the artist. It was uncalled for to me.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Gentry

This portrait also isn't the best - better than I could do, but not what I'd expect for an "official" portrait.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Courtier

Both portraits are ugly.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

CHocolate box style - prefer the official portrait.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Gentry

I preferred the first portrait to this one.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
I preferred the first portrait to this one.
I'm not really a fan of either one of them to be honest. Now I wonder if the next one will come from the school of Picasso. The second portrait really did seem to age Kate a lot and made her face and neck look like she has too much loose skin.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like them both. To me art is art. I don't go beyond it and look for meanings
Old 03-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
I like them both. To me art is art. I don't go beyond it and look for meanings
Ditto. We don't know what either artist saw as their light.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCVO View Post
This portrait also isn't the best - better than I could do, but not what I'd expect for an "official" portrait.
the 2nd one isnt an offical portrait - its someone using the DM to pitch for business

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Nobility

Oh Gawd!
Lines wrinkles ,she looks OLD in this one....Kate is a beautiful lady,can't they get it RIGHT?
Oy Vey!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Majesty

The second portrait reminds me of the sketches of a courtroom during a trial. The ones I've seen on the news look like that. Not a good portrayal, in my opinion.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I honestly kind of like that both of the portraits showed the Duchess as a real woman, who does have some lines on her face and some character. We get so used to seeing incredibly airbrushed and idealized depictions of women that sometimes it's a bit shocking to see something a little more realistic. To me, in both of the portraits, Kate still looks beautiful, but she also doesn't look like a glamour model and I think that's the right approach.

I think sometimes that it must be difficult to portray a young and beautiful woman in a realistic way for portraits.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
I actually like the portrait. I never understood what the big deal was. Even if you don't like it why spew hatred for the artist for like a month or two free wards like all the newspapers did. I felt bad for the artist. It was uncalled for to me.
I agree that it all became a bit much.

Portraits are tough to get right, very tough. If you want an actual likeness, you must resort to photography. Period.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I honestly kind of like that both of the portraits showed the Duchess as a real woman, who does have some lines on her face and some character. We get so used to seeing incredibly airbrushed and idealized depictions of women that sometimes it's a bit shocking to see something a little more realistic. To me, in both of the portraits, Kate still looks beautiful, but she also doesn't look like a glamour model and I think that's the right approach.

I think sometimes that it must be difficult to portray a young and beautiful woman in a realistic way for portraits.
I absolutely agree with this and people should accept that this is Kate portrayed closer to her realistic, unairbrushed self. We've become so accustomed to photoshopped pictures nowadays that to see the real deal can be startling, to say the least. I find this, as well as the official portrait, to depict Kate as she naturally is, lines and all, just like us mere humans! That being said, I prefer the official portrait to the second one.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Gentry

Had another look at second image. It looks like those pastelle drawings you can sit for at many a craft market or at the Sydney Royal Easter Show.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post

I agree. I think the actual official portrait showed Catherine has a human being and not as Goddess or "Perfect" Princess. The airbrushed magazines and perfect runway models (women and men) has messed up our society, IMO.