The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-13-2013, 12:25 AM
Aristocracy

The portrait is quite well done, however, the expression on her face makes her look like she is trying to get through an attack of morning sickness without letting it show. Nevertheless, she demonstrated grace and kindness in her reaction to the portrait and that's what really matters.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Another photogallery from the event at the National Portrait Gallery on January 11

Ensimmäinen virallinen muotokuva Cambridgen herttuattaresta paljastettiin | Lehtikuva | lehtikuva.fi

Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I'm starting to feel a little sorry for this artist. I did not like the portrait myself, and said so. Apparently, it's very difficult to capture a subject by paint - it's not a photograph.

I have no issue with art critics panning him - that's part of the business and the artist must have a thick enough skin to deal with it. But making fun of this portrait has gone positively viral (and some of it is quite funny). It seems that anything about Will and Kate (those photos, the DJ hoax) goes immediately viral. The public's obsession with these two is becoming absolutely toxic. Did we learn nothing from Diana? From the nurse last month? I'm starting to wonder whether this kind of notoriety will mean that this poor man never works again. Not that I haven't taken my own shots at this portrait; I'm part of the public obsession that has become toxic. Perhaps it started toxic with Diana and has just been laying dormant. With all of this stuff swirling around them, how can Will and Kate ever settle down and raise their family and keep sane in general? Kate's emotions and sensitivities are already on overdrive right now - how do you handle all this even when she can understand that on an intellectual level none of this toxicity was caused by HER, or Will for that matter? I'm starting to get a little worried about her and about anyone who "crosses" them. It's an insanity I've never seen before - Diana had the benefit of living her life before the internet truly took off.

All I'm saying is, I hope this poor guy is well and laughing it off, and it brings him more success than ever. And I hope Kate and Will aren't thinking about this either.
Well stated Gracie. Diana was fortunate that the internet was just in its infancy when she died. She'd still be dealing with the insanity but on a much larger scale.

IMHO other royals ie: Princess Caroline, Prince W-A and Princess Maxima have been trying to set a precedence for how their personal and family life will be followed by the media. The other royals were witnesses to Diana's life and struggles with the media and it has likely influenced their decisions regarding "media codes." I wouldn't doubt that Cambridges have their sympathy and support when it comes to the frenzy regarding her pregnancy.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

So because people don't like this portrait and state it is ugly we are somehow on the same level as the DJs who lied to an innocent woman or the photographers who chased Diana to her death? Are we supposed to lie and say something is good when it's not? This artist took on the job of painting the most famous woman in the world as of right now and in the opinions of many he did a bad job. Why should we lie about his work? To make him feel better? If Sarah Burton had screwed up Kate's wedding dress no one would hesitate to call her on it. I do not see any connection between what happened to the nurse and this situation. The nurse was a private person who was thrust into a situation she was not prepared for nor asked for; this artist accepted the task of paining Kate and he should accept opinions regarding his work.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have decided that I like the portrait. I have also decided that as the likeness was snapped, Kate was thinking something along the lines of "William forgot to take the trash to the curb last night. I had to run it out to the curb this AM in my robe and slippers before the collectors came. I'll get him back for that, just wait and see." It is supposed to be the personal rather than the public Kate, after all.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Following the official painting of Catherine, the Sun asked readers to send in their contributions - usual range including children's pictures but a couple are seriously good. Took my mind off the snow.

Sun readers b-rush to the rescue after shock kate painting | The Sun |Features

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Following the official painting of Catherine, the Sun asked readers to send in their contributions - usual range including children's pictures but a couple are seriously good. Took my mind off the snow.

The first one is my favourite photoshop obviously
The 6th is very realistic and I also like the 3rd
Old 01-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I am late to the topic, the portait looks ok to me, its pretty dark though. My only point is that is shows Kate in her 50ies, not sure if this was the artist's intention.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I am late to the topic, the portait looks ok to me, its pretty dark though. My only point is that is shows Kate in her 50ies, not sure if this was the artist's intention.
She really looks older in the portrait but I don't think it was the artist's intention
Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkittybaby View Post
She really looks older in the portrait but I don't think it was the artist's intention
In 100 years, people will think she looks young.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

Number 6 shows that it can have a dark background, be very realistic, and still be beautiful. The original is a bit of a disappointment, at least in the photos.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I like the portraits where Kate's in half profile and not looking directly outward.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

catherine look so beautiful in the presentation of the portrait! she look a lot better
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 01-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post

Number 6 shows that it can have a dark background, be very realistic, and still be beautiful. The original is a bit of a disappointment, at least in the photos.
The ones by David and Allan are fantastic, the anonymous one is good as well.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 AM
Commoner

Duchess looks like a wax figure

I was really anticipating seeing this new portrait, and at first glance, I thought it was a wax figure! The dark blue background, the dark blue dress, the hair-colour and eye-colour tampered with, the wrinkles exaggerated, and the smirky Mona Lisa smile when the Duchess has such an engaging full smile, all made me quickly look away and hope they change it somehow!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Courtier

The Duchess of Cambridge's portrait painter hits back at his critics - Telegraph#

It seems there's been an increase in visitors since the Duchess of Cambrige's portrait unveilling
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Majesty

'It felt like a witch hunt - it was so personal': Duchess of Cambridge portrait painter responds to critics and says he didn't expect level of criticism for Kate picture:
Kate portrait: Duchess of Cambridge painter Paul Emsley responds to critics | Mail Online
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Poor baby. Artists need to grow thick skins in order to survive. Maybe he will do a better job the next time someone commissions him to paint their portrait.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

He has a point. The Trolls out there - and some journalists - made the attacks personal to him, and not the painting.

IT is happening more and more often in the UK. Makes me sick.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't like the amount of abuse leveled at this painter, either. It's gotten too personal and vicious.