The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Gentry

Yes, the black background is too dark. Also, the dark (teal?) blouse.

A lighter background, and perhaps a lighter top with a slight décolleté appearing would have been brighter, somehow more appealing.

I don't like that the artist changed her eye color. Seems kind of "un-portraitishy" to me.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I agree, I did think the background of the portrait was too dark. Also, some of the pictures that's being taken of the portrait seems dark and others light. I think it will make a difference to some if it's seen in person and not just in the papers and videos.

I have heard people say that Catherine is much more beautiful in person than what you see in the pictures of her.
I personally think Catherine is more beautiful when she "smiles", although the portrait does resemble her, it is not her best look. . . . (now the artist did a great job to show off her beautiful hair)

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .
Old 01-12-2013, 03:17 AM
Commoner

Dunno bout u guys.. The portrait looks like a portrait of a wicked witch. No offense to Kate but it doesn't really portray her in the best light
Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

One of the worst portraits I have ever seen. Are there no more talented painters out there? Have they all died? It is truly one of the worst portraits I have ever seen of anybody. Late must be being bet diplomatic to the artist in public. A part from how bad she looks I agree the background is too dark.
I don't think I am going to be able to look at it again, it is that disappointing. Some says that Kate has wrinkles but they definitely are not that obvious. Also even when she's not smiling her cheek bones are higher than in this picture, they look like they are falling down her face.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-12-2013, 06:11 AM
Serene Highness

I agree with the poster who said that portrait makes her look like a witch. The first thing I thought was how nasty and sinister her facial expression was, it's not a warm representation at all IMO but very cold and calculating looking.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:29 AM
Nobility

Ugh I hate that portrait of her. Kate looks beautiful but the photo is a wrong choice for the potrait. Firstly, it doesn't do justice of her beauty at all. I know they want it to be natural but these eye-bags and wrinkles are too much--they make her look really old. Another thing that bothers me the most is that smug expression, it looks quite scary. Finally, the portrait, in my opinion, is quite inappropriate for a royal, it doesn't scream "official portrait" to me.

However, I love Kate's outfit at the opening. She looks amazing, I never really like her looks before but she looks radiant after pregnancy. Perhaps she's now less "bony" feeling and I love her look!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Gentry

I thought the portrait looks very realistic. Kate probably looks just like that without all the eye makeup, blusher and foundation.

I quite like the portrait to be honest It does leave a great impression. The artist could have done something like the Madame Tussauds wax figure: flawless, perfect, minimal eye bags, no wrinkles... but it would be no different from all the airbrushed photos out there. Not to mention it looks unreal after some time.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
I thought the portrait looks very realistic. Kate probably looks just like that without all the eye makeup, blusher and foundation.
I agree with you- if I hadn't known it was a portrait then I would've thought it was a photo. I think that the portrait made Catherine look older than she is, and IMO it also made her look tired, as her eyes seemed to be quite dark.

I have to say that I didn't really like the portrait, overall...
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I agree with you- if I hadn't known it was a portrait then I would've thought it was a photo. I think that the portrait made Catherine look older than she is, and IMO it also made her look tired, as her eyes seemed to be quite dark.

I have to say that I didn't really like the portrait, overall...
I agree with you
The original pic looks so much better
Old 01-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

The painter is an artist, not a photographer. If she had wanted a true and real picture of her she would have to chose a photograph. By chosing an artist she will get the artist's impression of her. His style is not necessary something I would chose but she did. An artist's rendition is always that, the work of an artist.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Aristocracy

Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
First impression I got: too dark, now looking at it a few times I'd like it better if it wasn't so dark.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Nobility

I don't agree. I thought the potrait was really well done. By the looks of her reaction on video, she seemed to like it too. I thought the artist did a great job. I don't know what is so wrong with the potrait. Of course that's just my personal opinion and I'm no artist...but still
Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 PM

As long as the Duke and Duchess are happy, that is all that counts!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've seen the picture the artist was working from and I have no idea how he can take something that looks pretty and turn it into something so ugly. Even in the picture Kate's lips are pursed but she doesn't look smug or wicked at all.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Nobility

I think everything is fine in the portrait except her eyes look unbalanced, and her cheekbones are too low.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Serene Highness

Well for a good laugh (no disrespect intended toward HRH of course, some people on this forum being a little touchy sometimes ) . I bet Catherine has a good sense of humor ...

Kate Middleton portrait: Now that's an art attack! Picture given a makeover as pranksters create alternative portraits | Mail Online
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Royal Highness

I'm starting to feel a little sorry for this artist. I did not like the portrait myself, and said so. Apparently, it's very difficult to capture a subject by paint - it's not a photograph.

I have no issue with art critics panning him - that's part of the business and the artist must have a thick enough skin to deal with it. But making fun of this portrait has gone positively viral (and some of it is quite funny). It seems that anything about Will and Kate (those photos, the DJ hoax) goes immediately viral. The public's obsession with these two is becoming absolutely toxic. Did we learn nothing from Diana? From the nurse last month? I'm starting to wonder whether this kind of notoriety will mean that this poor man never works again. Not that I haven't taken my own shots at this portrait; I'm part of the public obsession that has become toxic. Perhaps it started toxic with Diana and has just been laying dormant. With all of this stuff swirling around them, how can Will and Kate ever settle down and raise their family and keep sane in general? Kate's emotions and sensitivities are already on overdrive right now - how do you handle all this even when she can understand that on an intellectual level none of this toxicity was caused by HER, or Will for that matter? I'm starting to get a little worried about her and about anyone who "crosses" them. It's an insanity I've never seen before - Diana had the benefit of living her life before the internet truly took off.

All I'm saying is, I hope this poor guy is well and laughing it off, and it brings him more success than ever. And I hope Kate and Will aren't thinking about this either.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Majesty

As I said before, many of the royal family had portraits done and the finished product was met with mixed emotions but the criticism over this official portrait is just too over the top, Imo. I even turned on Yahoo! and they had a poll about the portrait, of course the percentage was negative.

Catherine knows art and I'm sure she knew not everyone will like it. I'm not too sure she cares about the harsh comments about the portrait. The National Portrait Gallery commissioned the portrait under her patronage and I think they are pleased with the result.

I'm also sure the artist likes his work and not laying awake at night over the negative comments.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Courtier

I'm sure the artist will make out fine from all this. He seems to be well regarded with a solid body of work behind him. One portrait could conceivably make the career of a completely unknown artist plucked from nowhere but it's not going to unmake the career of someone with an established reputation.

I think the dust needs to settle somewhat before the portrait can be fairly assessed. IMO the first portrait of Kate was either going to get completely panned or be built up as the greatest portrait in the history of portraits - there was never going to be a middle ground reached by either the public or the art community, just because of the ridiculous amounts of attention, publicity and emotion every single thing associated with the Cambridges attracts. Not to say that everyone will necessarily start loving the painting as time passes, but I do think in five or ten years time many will look back and find there's nothing about this portrait that warrants extreme reactions of any sort.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Serene Highness

the only thing really wrong with this picture is the smirk. As I said before, Kate has a number of expressions. Possibly one of them is a smirk, if she is faced with a ridiculous exasperating situation. But to chose a smirk as the primary representation of her expressions is weird. Perhaps the artist thinks that Kate does find the world ridiculous and exasperating. And one could not blame her if so.