The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I think you will find that he took the photographs - he says in one of the interviews. You really must check your facts.

EDIT: The video with the information is in post #976

I think the artist did a great job in copying a non-photoshoped photo he took.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel View Post
I suspect she's being diplomatic and gracious, because really, this one needs to go into a closet at the National Gallery and never be seen again. It reminds of me those age-progressed photographs of people who have been missing a long time. And I doubt she asked the artist to show her how she'd look 20 years in the future.
She's an art history major. She KNOWS Emsley's major work. She knew he would do a bust length and a full frontal. She knew he would focus on her eyes and any breaks in the planes of her face. And she knew that he would not feel a need to be 100% flattering. No doubt she picked him because she knew his work and knew he would do this sort of Portrait.
If you have ever noticed, most people, Kate among them, are not "prettiest" looked at full face from the front. But this is what he does and she chose him from a short list. He is extremely well respected because of the work he does. If you want pretty pics of the Duchess, please visit Zimbio or Getty Images. This is a different thing altogether, and she knew that it would be before she sat for the portrait.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Oh, and this Jubilee portrait by Ralph Heimans was very warmly received.
According to the artist he had only 1 hour with the Queen, which makes it more amazing.

My favourite as I mentioned earlier is William and Harry. IT actually looks like them which is a good start

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Serene Highness

Admirer US: thanks for that interesting comment. Yes, Kate was an art major and wanted herself portrayed by this artist, without the pretty pictures of Zimbio. Very interesting. I only think that a different expression would have helped. The tiredness in her eyes is probably representative of reality. Maybe she wanted those who care to see that she is more than a "model". Fascinating.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
I think the artist did a great job in copying the non-photoshoped photo he was given.
And the guantlet has now been thrown down definitively.....

Stay safe, my friends.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
I think the artist did a great job in copying the non-photoshoped photo he was given.
LOL There is something comforting in being able to count on some people to never change. We can always count on Argentina for the negative vote on everyone except there own.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Nobility

I quite like the portrait. It shows her as the real woman she is with a few lines etc.

We get so used to seeing photoshopped pictures with perfect smooth skin that it gets easy to forget that this is often not a true likeness either.

Kate seems happy with it and really that's all that matters.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Majesty

Well, not everyone will like the painting. I just felt a bit bad that his portrait came under a great deal of criticism. It wasn't about thinking Catherine is too perfect and everything that involves around her is always perfect or anything like that.

Catherine is beautiful but I'm glad the artist didn't try to make her loook like the most beautiful person on the face of the earth. She's not 21, she's getting older and mature. I personally think the artist did what he was commissioned to do and used his years of experience and technique.

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee portrait also received some criticism. Some thought she looked sad and disappointed about her reign. The Countess of Wessex's portrait wasn't met with praise either. One was done of her and it looked like her face was made of wax and melting or something. I guess it's down to having some respect for the artist's approach and style.
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
According to the artist he had only 1 hour with the Queen, which makes it more amazing.

My favourite as I mentioned earlier is William and Harry. IT actually looks like them which is a good start
I know the one you mean, cepe, and agree that it's a beautiful painting of two brothers who obviously enjoy one another's company.

I have a soft spot for Jonathan Yeo's portrait of Prince Philip. He's the son of the Tory MP, Tim Yeo. I'd like to see him paint Kate at some point.
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathl29 View Post
I quite like the portrait. It shows her as the real woman she is with a few lines etc.

We get so used to seeing photoshopped pictures with perfect smooth skin that it gets easy to forget that this is often not a true likeness either.

Kate seems happy with it and really that's all that matters.
I agree with this. I actually don't think the portrait makes her look older than she is. I think it makes her look different than the photos we usually see, but often the photos we see are idealized versions of Kate, in that she's made up for an official engagement, or the photos themselves have been airbrushed, etc.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
LOL There is something comforting in being able to count on some people to never change. We can always count on Argentina for the negative vote on everyone except there own.
Yes, NGalitzine, some things are as inevitable (and as welcome) as a bird defecating on your car just after you've washed it.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

The artist who painted William and Harry is also the artist that Charles commissioned to paint Catherine as a present for William. I'd love to see that. But she said that it is very difficult to paint a young, beautiful woman and this artist has basically said the same thing. The Yeo painting of Prince Philip shows his experience and life, with his good looks still showing through.

I've done life drawing and older people are easier - a tad baggy and saggy but easier.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

I don't think people are disappointed because Kate doesn't look perfect or whatever. We all know she has wrinkles/flaws - there's been a million videos and photos of her. So I doubt anyone expected the artist to make her free of imperfections.

My problem with the portrait, is that the background makes it look a little too dark and depressing. IMO, that's what gives her an air of someone much older (not the lines).

Having said all that, I don't hate the portrait. I'm not in love with it, but it looks okay. At the end of the day though, as long as Kate and Paul are happy with it, that's all that really matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Good for him for standing by his work and his technique. At the end of the day, that's all you can do as an artist, try your best. He liked it, Catherine and William liked it and I'm sure the Middletons liked it.

There's many more to come.
I too liked that he stood by his work, while also acknowledging that art is subjective. I'm sure it can't be easy hearing critiques of your work, but I think he's handled it very well.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Majesty

I agree, I did think the background of the portrait was too dark. Also, some of the pictures that's being taken of the portrait seems dark and others light. I think it will make a difference to some if it's seen in person and not just in the papers and videos.

I have heard people say that Catherine is much more beautiful in person than what you see in the pictures of her.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Majesty

Pictures;
The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge at The National Portrait Gallery:
MYROYALS &HOLLYWOOD FASH
Old 01-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Aristocracy

Were I seeing this painting in person as opposed to a picture of the painting on the internet, I might have a vastly different opinion. But as I won't be getting to London any time soon, I can only judge what I'm seeing through the wonder of the world wide web.

As it is, I'm not that crazy about it. It seems dark and if he, as reported, was concentrating on the eyes, he missed the mark. They seem dull and lack the natural sparkle she normally has. The mouth doesn't bother me, nor does the nose, and the hair is lovely, but I'm really disappointed by the eyes. Those are the window to the soul and I don't think he captured that.

But as I said, standing in a different light, looking at it up close, in person, these things might be vastly different and what's missing in a photograph could show up big as life in real time. I'm hoping so, anyway.

For a first portrait it's not horrible but I admit to expecting more. That's my own issue, though. I look forward to future artwork of William, Catherine, and their family.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I've looked at the portrait a few times and each time I get different reactions to it. I've thought it really doesn't look like her, I've thought it rather plain, and I've thought it very simple.

I think as some as said, it may make a world of difference seeing it in person and up close and perhaps from stepping back more. The beauty of art is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Courtier

I would love to be able to see the protrait in person, but not much chance. Somehow, I think it will grow on people over time.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
And the guantlet has now been thrown down definitively.....

Stay safe, my friends.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
She's an art history major. She KNOWS Emsley's major work. She knew he would do a bust length and a full frontal. She knew he would focus on her eyes and any breaks in the planes of her face. And she knew that he would not feel a need to be 100% flattering. No doubt she picked him because she knew his work and knew he would do this sort of Portrait.
If you have ever noticed, most people, Kate among them, are not "prettiest" looked at full face from the front. But this is what he does and she chose him from a short list. He is extremely well respected because of the work he does. If you want pretty pics of the Duchess, please visit Zimbio or Getty Images. This is a different thing altogether, and she knew that it would be before she sat for the portrait.
Knowing that she chose the artist and was familiar with his previous work, style and technique then I feel safe in stating that she is likely very happy with the result.