The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Courtier

She's much prettier than that painting shows her to be. I've never seen her lips arranged in such a pursed, disapproving fashion. Her face is inevitably composed in a serene and lovely demeanor (at least in photos), and I can't see why this painting doesn't show that. I won't name names, but some royals don't exhibit such control over their expressions, and they seldom look good in their photos. Oh, well, most of us will probably live long enough to see dozens of official portraits of her, and some will be much better.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Was it the NPG who picked the artist? An art critic on Sky News earlier said that this particular artist prefers to work from photographs, which is why Kate only sat for him on 2 occasions. He felt that in working mainly using photos of the subject, it's never going to be brilliant.

It's not awful, certainly not as awful as this monstrosity, but the nose is all wrong. It does have a soft warmth to it, but it's also is a bit dark, particularly the background.

As the Queen has found over the years sitting for literally hundreds of portraits, even with the best portrait painters of the time, sometimes they just don't hit the mark. This portrait is fairly mediocre for me.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Majesty

I think it was very silly of the Sunday Times Art Critic Waldemar Januszczak to go on Tv and just let out all his anger out on the artist and the painting. It's was as if he wished he could've done the portrait or something. I think it was a lack of respect for the artist.

From what I understand,portrait paintings aren't meant to be totally perfect. The artist brings his/her own technique and art to the painting.

I have seen really bad but artful paintings officially reveiled of The Queen and other members of the royal family and their had been some criticism over the paintings but I think the criticism of Catherine's first portrait is a bit over the top. Trust me when I say, this portrait of Catherine is just one of many more to come.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I would give the portrait a B-
Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Gentry

The portrait doesn't do her justice. She is so lovely in photographs, but this is just meh.

However, there will be plenty of portraits to come.

Wouldn't you love to know The DOC's real thoughts (good or bad) on the painting?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

Um, what to say...... It looks o.k. I suppose. I was kind of expecting something different. I just think the artist made her look older and I really don't know what to say about her mouth. I think a smile would have made the portrait breathtaking, more natural. This of course is only the first as many have said so hopefully the ones to come will be incredible. :)
Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Kate is gracious as always. I personally think it's horrible. It makes her look old and tired, and does not begin to do her justice. Compare the photos of her with the portrait.

This guy is a modern day Goya, without the talent.
Had the opportunity to view the ITV coverage and I have to agree GG that Kate appears gracious and engaged while speaking with the NPG staff and the artist himself. I saw typical Kate hand gestures and smiles while chatting with the artist.

Interested to discover that the artist worked from several photographs and only one or two actual sittings during the months that he worked on the portrait.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Had the opportunity to view the ITV coverage and I have to agree GG that Kate appears gracious and engaged while speaking with the NPG staff and the artist himself. I saw typical Kate hand gestures and smiles while chatting with the artist.

Interested to discover that the artist worked from several photographs and only one or two actual sittings during the months that he worked on the portrait.
I think Artist Rolf Harris only had two sittings with The Queen for his portrait of her too.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Courtier

Are there any royal portraits that have been universally loved, (or even well thought of by a solid majority of the public)? It seems like every time a new portrait is unveiled a bunch of people hate it. It's interesting to me because, as someone who knows pretty much nothing about art, my instinct would be that portraiture would be one of the easier painting forms to get right, so to speak.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Was it the NPG who picked the artist? An art critic on Sky News earlier said that this particular artist prefers to work from photographs, which is why Kate only sat for him on 2 occasions. He felt that in working mainly using photos of the subject, it's never going to be brilliant.

It's not awful, certainly not as awful as this monstrosity, but the nose is all wrong. It does have a soft warmth to it, but it's also is a bit dark, particularly the background.

As the Queen has found over the years sitting for literally hundreds of portraits, even with the best portrait painters of the time, sometimes they just don't hit the mark. This portrait is fairly mediocre for me.
What have they done to poor Frederik? It looks absolutely nothing like him. Yeah, Catherine's portrait isn't awful. It's actually growing on me.

Paul Emsley has responded to all the criticism. He says he tried his best.

BBC News - Kate portrait artist Paul Emsley: 'I tried my best'
Old 01-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Courtier

Although her hair looks perfect, the artist could have done better. I think this portrait makes her look older than she is.

Personally don't like her nose in the portrait.

I prefer the picture itself and again I think the artist could have done much better with such a beautiful picture.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought the painting looked nice. It looks a little dark though. I'd like to see a full length portrait in a gown next time.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
What have they done to poor Frederik? It looks absolutely nothing like him. Yeah, Catherine's portrait isn't awful. It's actually growing on me.

Paul Emsley has responded to all the criticism. He says he tried his best.

BBC News - Kate portrait artist Paul Emsley: 'I tried my best'
Good for him for standing by his work and his technique. At the end of the day, that's all you can do as an artist, try your best. He liked it, Catherine and William liked it and I'm sure the Middletons liked it.

There's many more to come.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate's Official Portrait Unveiled - The British Royals, Kate Middleton, Prince William : People.com

Video: Home - ITNSource News
Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Courtier

It's not that bad, however it does have a certain Mona Lisa-like/it's meant to be questionned feel to it.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post

I agree, TLLK, I know nothing about art, but that I found surprising.

As for Kate's demeanor; I have two conclusions

1) She herself loved the portrait. I personally thought it awful but I do hope she liked it, and is not feeling dismayed. This suggests to me that she's not that fussy, critical and ego-centric about herself

2) If she did hate it, her demeanor shows how utterly gracious she is. There was no indication of dismay at all.

Either way Kate wins in my book, and I'm not one to gush about her.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Majesty

Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Serene Highness

Well what I like is Catherine has the honour of her portrait being in the NPG along with some of the world's greatest. The fact all the 'art critics' the tabloids can dig up don't like it, makes me love it even more.
The arm chair critics can bash all they like because their bashing is the closest they will ever come to the NPG. I'm just sooooo happy the artist didn't just cropped some glossy DM pic from a red carpet appearance and then call it a portrait.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Serene Highness

What I dislike in this portrait is the expression of her mouth, which is pursed, and comes close to a look of distaste on her part. Now this is probably one of the expressions Kate has, at times, but it is not her BEST expression. She has other expressions which I would have tried to capture, more uplifting, more truly smiling or else truly serious.

The dark circles under her eyes do make her look tired. Perhaps the artist caught a look of tiredness which is actually there, in some glimpses of Kate, for her life does have stresses. So it is both realistic (which she asked for) and also somewhat unflattering. He could have painted the BEST Kate, someone lighter and brighter. But if the history of our world does become darker, with war and other problems, it might be well to remember this look of tiredness in the eyes of the future Queen.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Commoner

I suspect she's being diplomatic and gracious, because really, this one needs to go into a closet at the National Gallery and never be seen again. It reminds of me those age-progressed photographs of people who have been missing a long time. And I doubt she asked the artist to show her how she'd look 20 years in the future.